Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Brooks B17 or B17 Special or Ideale 90

Old 01-03-22, 06:14 PM
Spellscape

Bikes: Union Sakai

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 42 Posts
Brooks B17 or B17 Special or Ideale 90

Hi all

Any real difference between Brooks B17 or B17 Special (the one with cooper rivets)?

Ideale 90 (new one) - is it real worth the price double of B17?
Old 01-03-22, 06:39 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I am pretty sure the Special has thicker leather, not as good as Berthoud but thicker than the regular version
Old 01-04-22, 07:10 AM
siebengang

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Compared to decades-old Brooks saddles, their more recent ones don't reach the same quality or life length, because the leather has become inferior. Gilles Berthoud saddles are much better quality and should be well worth the higher price, considering their longer life. The saddle shape of Brooks and Gilles Berthoud is quite compatible: If a Brooks fits, most often a Berthoud will also fit very well. That's all my own experience.

I haven't owned or tested the modern Ideale saddles yet, but had them in my hands several times and their leather felt very much like Gilles Berthouds leather quality to me. Much thicker and sturdier than modern Brooks. The Ideale has a little more of a (domed) "saddle shape" compared to the flatter Berthoud/Brooks shape, which may fit you differently.

Summary: I would go with either Ideale or Berthoud. Both are probably cheaper from a life-cycle perspective than Brooks. The style is different (Berthoud more modern, Ideale and Brooks more traditional), as may be the fit.