Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

A Cost for Safety

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

A Cost for Safety

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-22, 06:09 PM
HelenP
For Frieda!

Bikes: Trek FX2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A Cost for Safety

Sub: Monkey Lights

So I live in a big city. And some intersections have better drivers than others. Monkey Lights are a solution I’m considering for “the others”: aggressive drivers with more than the standard 2 blind spots. The lights are very bright and hard to miss which makes them ideal for the issue.

The problem is that these tire fixtures happen to be gaudy. It sort of interferes with the healthy, practical, not-wanna-standout look we might feel more comfortable projecting as bicycles commuters. I know a few cyclists in my shoes who simply will not give this option the time of day because it’s marketed for a) children b) “fun” adults.

And maybe your observations are different from mine, but the people who I’ve seen use them are indeed a) children b) grown children. By grown children, I mean people who commit dangerous traffic violations zipping around hazardously - how do I know? Because they’re so noticeable!

So what’re your thoughts? Would you buy a pair for your bike

Last edited by HelenP; 01-18-22 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-17-22, 06:18 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Nop, attracts too much attention. I think a good headlight mounted on the helmet is better..
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 01-17-22, 07:24 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
Wheel reflectors and reflective tire stripes would be better
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-18-22, 07:26 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I agree here... I run tires with reflective sidewalls, and they are very bright. I can't even get a picture of the bike with flash. Doesn't help much when headlights aren't on, but wheel lights won't help much either in that situation.

One tactic that most know, but it is worth repeating is to ensure that eye contact is made or otherwise ensure that the driver sees me before proceeding. Difficult if they have limo glass.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Wheel reflectors and reflective tire stripes would be better
Old 01-18-22, 09:15 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
a rotating flashing light is very attention getting from many angles. defectors only work mostly straight on. but monkey lights are no more the company is history. I see them on bikes before other things. I gave up on trying to look cool I rather been seen than be cool.
Old 01-18-22, 09:28 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Obnoxious flashing helmet light lets you direct the beam towards drivers who need some "help."

The bad drivers O.P. is concerned about are as likely to be fascinated by Monkey Lights, and neglect driving their vehicles, as they are likely to be alerted by them, IMHO.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-18-22, 09:32 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Obnoxious flashing helmet light lets you direct the beam towards drivers who need some "help."

The bad drivers O.P. is concerned about are as likely to be fascinated by Monkey Lights, and neglect driving their vehicles, as they are likely to be alerted by them, IMHO.
monkey lights had just plain flashing less too without the pattern I use those as they turn on and off automatically. I also have a lumos helmet and a flashing and steady back light. I ride in all kinds of weather and darkness rain and fog.
Old 01-18-22, 09:53 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
A single light that's all directions and not pointed at the driver just sounds... weak, maybe
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-18-22, 10:11 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
HelenP My sister bought me a monkey light a few years ago. I was commuting home at night in the winter. She was not aware of my other lighting at the time.

The Monkey lights are okay, but I feel what works better is helmet mounted lights with 180 degree visibility (equalling 360-degrees), and of course the ability to turn one's head to direct the main beam at traffic on the side and the lights are above the hoods of most vehicles.

Also, I have used an AirZound Airhorn for 25 years (you pump it up with your bike pump).

Also, I mounted my forward flashers (with side discharge) on the front fork so the light would also dance off the spokes.

But in the greater scheme of things, the Monkey Lights can be pretty, but they are not magical.

Likes For BobbyG:
Old 01-18-22, 12:45 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I concur with the separate helmet light. Recently run two Cygolites (one on helmet, one on bars) in the morning and cars are taking more notice. I believe the ability to swivel ones helmeted light is more visible from the ambient city light clutter than just a handlebar mounted light. In the day I run one flashing bar light. Hotshot Pro flashing to rear at all times.
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 01-19-22, 09:06 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
If you still want spoke lights but simpler than the Monkey Lights, Nitize makes a couple of styles. You still want a good headlight and taillight(s).

ETA: Ankle lights are great too. I might need a pair. (Not endorsing this brand, just the first one I ran across.

Last edited by Korina; 01-19-22 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-19-22, 10:03 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Korina
If you still want spoke lights but simpler than the Monkey Lights, Nitize makes a couple of styles. You still want a good headlight and taillight(s).

ETA: Ankle lights are great too. I might need a pair. (Not endorsing this brand, just the first one I ran across.
so far I have not seen anything in the same quality range. plus I chose their cheaper model because it was auto on and off. I hated having to stop and turn on the light when I forgot. I had ant+ tail light and headlight I turned my garmin on and all the lights would start and stop and I would get notifications when the batteries were low.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 01-20-22, 01:25 PM
HelenP
For Frieda!

Bikes: Trek FX2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks all. I already got into one car accident and safety is very important to me. I road my bike back last night and there’s 6 particular blocks of anxiety I have to be as practical as I can about.

I ended up getting a pricey Lumos Matrix helmet, the Nite Rider MLs, and a light up belt to strap over my backpack. Whatta load!

Last edited by HelenP; 01-20-22 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-20-22, 06:59 PM
fooferdoggie 

the lumos is good and its moves from bike to bike