Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

C'dale Headshok: Should I Avoid?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 07-15-22, 01:18 PM
MufflerJeans

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hi, All.
I'll first confess that I'm a skinny tire guy. However, my girlfriend is swept up in the gravel craze. In my more youthful days, I did bang around on the trails and rode a couple different Cannondale F series CAAD mountain bikes, which Ioved (I also ride CAAD road frames). I've got a bead on a couple used F series MTB bikes in my area that I was planning to use to trail ride with her. It would be primarily on trails - no single track. Mostly crushed gravel and maybe some eroded and patched areas on rail trails. Is it dumb to buy a bike from the '90s with a headshok? Should I just buck up and buy a new bike to fit the purpose? I think those old CAAD frames were pretty special and can be repurposed (and can be had for pretty cheap) but maybe I'm just being nostalgic (and cheap). Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Old 07-15-22, 03:02 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
I bought one (new) around 1998 or 1999. The head shock froze up within 4 years or so. I didn't do anything to maintain it (and don't know if you even can).

Their frames are very stiff, especially from that era.

Get yourself a modern gravel bike. You won't be sorry.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-16-22, 08:30 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
I've used my old mtn. bike with tires suited for rail trails and not-so-radical off road riding. Still would be riding the rail trails if there were any more convenient. Personally, I wouldn't buy a bike with a headshock. Too difficult (if possible at all) to find parts. A good used mtn. bike with serviceable parts would be my choice. Or a new bike, of course.
Old 07-16-22, 12:00 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
There were a lot of versions and it was upgradeable. You might be surprised what's still available; google shows Performance Bike has a lot of maintenance parts and there are conversions for regular forks. https://www.performancebike.com/search?s=headshok

and there's these guys https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/....html?page=all
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-16-22, 12:57 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

By the way, the Lefty fork which continues to this day is a direct evolution of the Headshok. When travel got up near 100mm the guts got too long to put between the wheel and handlebar so they moved it to the side. It still has the needle bearings. The spring and damper element is more like a shock than a fork. Given what happened to Cannondale at the corporate level in the late 90's and since, it's kind of amazing the Lefty has survived. Between Lefty and Head Shok there was an intermediate 2-leg dual crown fork called Moto but it didn't last. It was still much like the other two with needle bearings in each leg instead of the bushings everyone else used.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-16-22 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-16-22, 02:14 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
I keep riding this, although I am not the original owner, and I have no idea who the original owner was. Acquired it two years ago and rides fine. Probably have around 2k Miles on it........... Air Fork(The pic is two years old but it still looks the same)

Old 07-16-22, 05:23 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,064 Posts
I have a Cannondale hybrid with a Headshok - but unless you are a diehard Cannondale / Headshok fan - I would not recommend a Cannondale with a Headshok

the Headshok has not been produced in a while - parts can be a challenge to obtain - and service can be even more of a challenge as the Headshok internals are unique / require special tool / procedure - most shops will not touch them and Cannondale will no longer service them

I believe there is at least one shop that provides Headshok service :

https://www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Another thing to consider is the feel / fit / position of a Cannondale with a Headshok ... not for everyone - but some like and prefer
Old 07-17-22, 08:17 AM
MufflerJeans

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the input.

@StarBiker how do find the geometry of your F700 (that's a sweet looking ride, btw)? I'm leaning towards getting a more modern or new bike, but I'm still curious about these frames.
Old 07-17-22, 09:24 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
I had a HS Cannondale back in the day and enjoyed it. However, overall comfort wasn't great possibly because the frame didn't seem compliant for whatever reason. Maybe look for something with a steel frame like my Salsa.
Old 07-17-22, 12:45 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I agree with that, new bikes are good too. But the trade here is “do I spend $1-200 to fix up a good but 30yo $250 bike, that doesn’t seem worth it… or do I spend two grand on a new one?”
Old 07-21-22, 11:20 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Well I had a nice response to this until this daffy site knocked me off.....(Keep me signed in)

BOL to the OP.
Old 09-27-22, 06:51 PM
XTR

Bikes: Cannondale Delta V 2000, C-dale SuperV Active, Bridgestone RB-1, Colnago Master, Izalco Pro 4.0, Carbon Superfly 100

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The Headshock was also a solution to the early/mid 90s problems of noodles for tubes in the front. Look at all the after market brake arches that were available at the same time. It was also light compared to a 2 legged system. The one thing the HS did was track where you pointed it. A lot of the shock forks back at that time didn't always want to do that.