Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Hey Norcal, let's get to know each other.

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Hey Norcal, let's get to know each other.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-07, 07:33 PM
spingineer
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jobob
Heh heh, I only did about the first 2 miles before it got stupid-steep. But even that first part had lots of 15%+. 'twas a Personal Growth Experience.

The Stanford cycling page (which I found out about after the climb, naturally) says this about Welch Creek:
"...Sunol Regional Park stretches from 0.3 to 2.8 mile markers. Within the park, a stretch of road between 2.0 and 2.5 mile markers is bloody steep, in excess of 15%. Above 2.8 mark, the road emerges from the canyon and becomes steeper again, bloody steeper. By the finish the gradient is truly bloody relentless."
Someday I'll make it all the way up that sucker...
I should have PM'd you ... Tracy and I did a nice ride up Old La Honda today. Your climb was much more grueling than ours. Oh well, next time. I won't be able to ride next weekend, as I'm on call then.

My Cycling Blog
Old 06-09-07, 11:44 PM
Dudamas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey jobob your tough! Welch Creek is one of those climbs that I'll only ride once a year.

Spingineer I was at Old La Honda today around 10:00 at the top before heading out to San Gregorio.
Old 06-09-07, 11:53 PM
spingineer
Spinning like a gerbel

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudamas
Hey jobob your tough! Welch Creek is one of those climbs that I'll only ride once a year.

Spingineer I was at Old La Honda today around 10:00 at the top before heading out to San Gregorio.
Dudamas,
We didn't start till a little after 10:30, and we started from Chain Reaction. You were probably long gone by the time we started the climb.

My Cycling Blog
Old 06-14-07, 10:07 AM
twocoasttb

Bikes: Seven Axiom SG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey. My name is Tom Barry; I just moved to Redwood City from Mountain View. I started cycling near the end of 2004 with Team in Training (which raises money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society- I had Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 2000). I was hooked after that first season, and in better shape than ever. Since then, I've ridden five or six organized centuries, and finished a handful of un-organized ones on my own. I also completed the California Death Ride in 2005 and 2006, and climbed Haleakala in Maui. Last year I sold my motorcycle to buy a custom Seven Axiom SG (love it love it love it). These days I'm working at home which lets me get out during the week and train (got out for 80 miles yesterday); I spend a lot of time in and around Portola Valley- bike heaven in my opinion!
Old 06-14-07, 10:11 AM
cantdrv55

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome Tom. I'm doing the TnT ride in Marin on Aug 4. Looking forward to doing more organized rides in the future.

Can't believe you rode 80 miles yesterday. It was so hot here that I hung out at the mall for the A/C. Where is Portola Valley? Can't seem to find it on a map.
Old 06-14-07, 02:16 PM
twocoasttb

Bikes: Seven Axiom SG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know where the actual boundaries are, but Portola Road runs down it. The bottom of Old La Honda (west side) ends at Portola.

Riding yesterday was tough; I wasn't prepared for the heat and suffered from stomach cramps for the last 90 minutes.

Best of luck with the Marin Century. I haven't done that one, but I've ridden up there; it's beautiful.
Old 06-14-07, 03:01 PM
Mhendricks

Bikes: 2006 Orbea Volata, 84 Trek 760, 83 Trek 720,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello All. My name is Michael Hendricks. Married father of 2 girls (26, 19) Age 51. Born and raised here in the Santa Clara Valley. Got back into riding about 2 years ago after a 20 year lay-off. Used to ride competitively when I was younger but after a serious accident I stopped. Since coming back into cycling I've dropped 50 lbs. and feel great. Haven't ridden any centuries but this year I'm going to do a 100k ride at the end of June. Ride every day to work and some on the weekends. Hope to see some of you at the Giro de Peninsula.
Old 06-14-07, 03:41 PM
sj_roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everyone, my name is Jason. I'm 28 and just started commuting by bike a little while ago. I rode in on bike to work day, then found a pretty nice route from campbell to work in milpitas that's over half trails and about 15 miles each way. I'm riding a friend's Bianchi right now, it's pretty old but did some minor wrenching and tuning on it and it's still a blast to ride. I'm thinking that since I'm commuting a few days a week that's a good excuse to buy a new bike since that money would have gone to gas anyways. Gonna take a few test rides, but thinking a trek 1500 or something similar would be a good start. Since I just started, I haven't done any real rides other than my commute, but am interested in group rides and also thinking about getting into some racing if I can..
Old 06-14-07, 10:48 PM
rydaddy
Type 1 Racer

Bikes: A dozen or so.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sj_roadie
I'm thinking that since I'm commuting a few days a week that's a good excuse to buy a new bike since that money would have gone to gas anyways.
LOL, that was my justification. I went with a Allez Elite and it has paid for itself in only 5 months. Welcome to your new addiction!
Old 06-18-07, 05:38 AM
VintageMTBR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My name is Joe and I'm from San Jose. I'm 44 and I've been riding now for twenty years. Started off as a track bike rider,just like my grandfather.Owned a few 'funny bikes' at one time and a couple of Schwinn Madison track bikes. I converted to mountain bikes in 1987,thanks to my cousin and his new Nishiki Cascade.I've owned more than 65 bikes since then and now currently own 12 vintage MTBs. The newest one is a '97 Proflex 857 that's crazy light.
My favorite part of cycling is climbing up steep hills.Since it's my twenty years,somehow my enthusiam for offroading has returned big time. Nice to be around other enthusiastic cyclists here. I don't like bike snobs because all bikes are good. Hope to see some of you on the road and the trails.
Old 06-18-07, 12:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
I'm Doug, and I live in San Mateo. I'm 49, a 215# Clyde, I've been riding on and off for 12 years - 6 years on, 4 years off, and on again the last two. I ride 20-25 miles 2-3 times during the week, and 50-60 on Sundays usually Crystal Springs/92/Canada, with various versions of The Loop for longer rides and OLH and Kings Mountain when I want pain.

I switch off between a '95 Ritchey Road Logic with full 8 sp. Dura Ace, and a '06 Bianchi 928 Carbon with Veloce (and a compact crank for hills!). I just started a project bike - a '92 Battaglin frame with Columbus MAX tubing (Designed for big, strong riders). It's at the painters now, waiting to be reborn in red, and outfitted with Campy bits.

I'm TRYING to get my 13 year old son into cycling - he could be a climber, as skinny as he is. Time will tell.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-18-07, 10:08 PM
dpb13

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My name is Daniel. I'm not really a NoCal, I just post here because Northern Nevada is kind of a wasteland as far as BFers go. I'm a 40 year old clyde who is down 45lbs in about 18 months. I did my first century earlier this year (Lodi Sunrise) and just did my second (Mile High) where I met Sean, Tracy and Davisclyde. I wish I could come over for the Giro but I just can't swing it.

When are you people going to plan some ride in the Reno area?
Old 06-18-07, 11:42 PM
bike-chick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone, I live in Sacramento and ride road and mtn.

Last edited by bike-chick; 07-17-07 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-19-07, 12:01 AM
uspspro
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genejockey
I'm Doug, and I live in San Mateo. I'm 49, a 215# Clyde, I've been riding on and off for 12 years - 6 years on, 4 years off, and on again the last two. I ride 20-25 miles 2-3 times during the week, and 50-60 on Sundays usually Crystal Springs/92/Canada, with various versions of The Loop for longer rides and OLH and Kings Mountain when I want pain.

I switch off between a '95 Ritchey Road Logic with full 8 sp. Dura Ace, and a '06 Bianchi 928 Carbon with Veloce (and a compact crank for hills!). I just started a project bike - a '92 Battaglin frame with Columbus MAX tubing (Designed for big, strong riders). It's at the painters now, waiting to be reborn in red, and outfitted with Campy bits.

I'm TRYING to get my 13 year old son into cycling - he could be a climber, as skinny as he is. Time will tell.
Cool. I live in San Mateo also. My rides sound similar to yours.
The "standard" part of my ride.... start from my house head N on Alameda de las Pulgas to Crystal Springs, climb up to 35, 35 to 92, 92 to Cañada, Cañada to the end @ 84... I head back the same way for a shorter ride, or mix it up around Portola/Woodside for more fun.
Old 06-19-07, 12:14 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
That is exactly my ride. Weekdays I turn around at the top of the rise a mile or so past Edgewood for 26 mile round trip. Weekends, I keep going...

Weekday mornings, though, the return trip goes Canada to Ralston Trail to Ralston/Polhemus to Crystal Springs.

This is me, in case we pass on the road:

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-27-07, 07:55 AM
spingineer
Spinning like a gerbel

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
*** Bump ***
Need to make this a sticky for newbies!
Old 06-27-07, 08:40 AM
minivandriveby

Bikes: 2000 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC (100%stock)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy! My name is Chris and I just got back on after a 10-year hiatus. I live in Elk Grove, CA just a few blocks away from infinite open country roads. My only "ride" since getting a new bike last week was taking Franklin Blvd. down to Thornton and back. Good 30-mile ride and almost 0 cars. I will probably be doing that ride every weekend morning until I have enough time to take a drive and hit Auburn and Salmon Falls trails. So if you're ever out there and you see a guy huff-puffing on a FS Stumpjumper go "Hey! Forum Dork. Get a roadie!" and I'll give you a big .
Old 06-27-07, 09:48 AM
spingineer
Spinning like a gerbel

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by minivandriveby
Howdy! My name is Chris and I just got back on after a 10-year hiatus. I live in Elk Grove, CA just a few blocks away from infinite open country roads. My only "ride" since getting a new bike last week was taking Franklin Blvd. down to Thornton and back. Good 30-mile ride and almost 0 cars. I will probably be doing that ride every weekend morning until I have enough time to take a drive and hit Auburn and Salmon Falls trails. So if you're ever out there and you see a guy huff-puffing on a FS Stumpjumper go "Hey! Forum Dork. Get a roadie!" and I'll give you a big .
Welcome to the group, Chris. Hey, as long as you are out there, on your bike (no matter which bike it is), we won't consider you a dork. We'll always have the opportunity to convert you over to the good side ..

My Cycling Blog
Old 06-27-07, 10:20 AM
rydaddy
Type 1 Racer

Bikes: A dozen or so.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spingineer
We'll always have the opportunity to convert you over to the good side ..
*yawn*

Chris - Get out to Salmon Falls or Auburn ASAP

Here is a good source for local trails (https://www.mtbsingletrack.com/)

And I do have a road bike but it is strictly for conditioning/training for the MTB
Old 07-09-07, 01:27 PM
SacLeisureRider
New Rider

Bikes: 2003 Giant TCR Two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, name is Chris. I am 29 and live in Sacramento. Don't currently own a bike, but I won't let that get in my way! Going to get me a cheap mountain bike so that I can get in shape, and then I'll go from there. I used to bike everywhere back in Arizona when I was a kid... then after a few bikes got stolen, I switched to inline skates. Before I left Arizona in 1998, I was 'blading EVERYWHERE and in the best shape of my life. Got up here to Sacramento, and I became a couch potato.... Now I huff and puff just jumping to conclusions. That will all change soon!

Good to see a few Sacramento people in here, and hopefully we can meet up for a ride or two in the near future, when I can put some wheels under me.... (I'll use the wife's bike if I have to!)
Old 07-09-07, 01:29 PM
SacLeisureRider
New Rider

Bikes: 2003 Giant TCR Two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by minivandriveby
Now, this is all too familiar... Same name... both life in Sacramento area... And I will soon be sporting a minivan as a daily driver!!! Wooohooooo! (Yeah, I quit work to keep the kids content and safe and the wife gets my Mustang... What is up with this picture?)
Old 07-09-07, 04:56 PM
frogpound
heysup!

Bikes: Burley Wolfcreek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haysup!
I'm 29 from the EastBay. (emeryville)
I started riding more seriously this past year when I quit drinking, and now that I quit smoking, I've been having much more fun riding!!!
I try to ride to and from work everyday and love riding around town at night. I've got an '06 Volpe that I've tweaked a bit and I've got an IRO on order from a local shop.

I'm training for my first century next month and I'm pretty stoked!
Very glad that I found this place btw.

Ryan

Last edited by frogpound; 07-09-07 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-09-07, 09:14 PM
overthere
fredelicious mini-masher

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,

Been a BF'r for years, but never wandered here. I'm Diana, 48 yrs, and live in Davis. I've been riding for 3 years now, and love it! I ride to eat. Sundays, I ride with a friend to Steady Eddy's for a breakfast sausage Panini, sometimes adding a few miles by riding over to Solano Lake, or Cantelow (before gravel). DBC's winery ride is a fav too. I rarely drive, a definite plus living in Davis! I've been enamoured of recumbent trikes and tandems, but after trying them, went back to my df, a Specialized Dolce Elite. I'm still tempted with a folding bike, for traveling. I'm addicted to Orange Vanilla CarBOOM gel. lol! If you do any DBC rides, I'm usually helping at the registration tables...
Old 07-25-07, 06:13 PM
Dwighty83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

I am Dwight. 23 years old male Living in Sacramento CA. I'm doing the living car free thing. Currently riding an old raleigh, but I have my fixed gear on the way. I ride to the Light rail each day then get on that to work. I work at FTB as well. I saw a few people on here do. Eventually I am going to make the 16 mile round trip to and from work. I am enjoying not having a car and saving sooooo much money in gas. Other than that I enjoy dancing too! and thoeries on Quantum physics.
Old 07-27-07, 01:14 PM
superunleaded
High Octane

Bikes: Calfee, Spectrum, Colnago MxL, 3RENSHO, Softride Classic, TVT, Sentinel Whisper, Centurion Comp TA, Vitus 979, 92 RB-1, 94 RB-T, RADAC, 50th Anniversary Schwinn Paramount

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Jack Ibagbaga from Fremont

Jack from Fremont here. I pretty much ride all over the place, mostly Palomares and Calaveras. Most of the rides that I get into starts near the Niles train station.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.