Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

A few lbs overweight on my Zizzo folder...

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 11-10-22, 02:20 PM
wooki

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

This will only be used on flat surfaces, no curb hopping or deep potholes. It will also be used indoors on a brand model bike trainer for "silver slippers" type exercise. How dangerous is this likely to be? Thanks.
Likes For wooki:
Old 11-10-22, 02:27 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by wooki
This will only be used on flat surfaces, no curb hopping or deep potholes. It will also be used indoors on a brand model bike trainer for "silver slippers" type exercise. How dangerous is this likely to be? Thanks.

It shouldn't be a problem.
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 11-10-22, 03:16 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 568 Posts
You'll be fine,especially when you factor in the way you're planning on using it. Happy pedaling!
Old 11-10-22, 03:27 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
You should be just fine. It is the impact loading of curbs and potholes that present the biggest challenges.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 11-10-22, 04:09 PM
wooki

Thanks all for the replies...

Feelin better now, sometimes I overthink stuff like this....cheers
Likes For wooki:
Old 11-13-22, 07:59 PM
SteveKB

Bikes: Giant Escape 3, Giant Halfway FD806, Giant Cadex CFM3, ZiZZO Liberté

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 34 Posts
Which ZiZZO model is it?
Old 11-13-22, 08:19 PM
wooki

Originally Posted by SteveKB
Which ZiZZO model is it?
A Zizzo Campo...
Old 11-13-22, 08:58 PM
wooki

Took a short outside ride on level asphalt streets in my small town, maybe 3 miles. The Zizzo did fine and also tested a new wider Cloud 9 seat with thick padding and steel springs. More comfortable than the stock seat. A good short run but cold and windy.
Likes For wooki:
Old 11-14-22, 04:04 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios P18, customized Dahon Smooth Hound P9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 D7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup), Frog 52 9s and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 160 Posts
Well... I am currently building a 20" hill climbing "race" bike or to be more accurate, I will race a 20" wheel bike next season. I did a fear amount of research to shave 2Kg... and I think you could take a little more of yours depending of the total weight the bike has to carry.

1st, on a turbo trainer, you need a rear steel skewer, aluminium is not good.

I saw you have a campo so you have single wall rims, a little heavy. As most of weight saving tend to come for the wheelset, if you can find one, get a front Dahon/tern Kinetix pro (74 hub); these are 400g lighter than standard double wall 28 spoke wheel and saving is rotational so more important. While the Zizzo site mentions 7 speed free hub which is not so good. If you go for a kinetix comp (or equivalent - I have a 20 spoke wheel which ~250g lighter than std), you can fit either 8-9or 10 speed cassette. 9 is for me the best compromise as it allows you to upgrade with fewer expenses - you can keep the tourney derailleur. All you need is a "cheap" alivio or altus 9 speed right trigger shifter.
in 9 speed, the best would be a shimano XT M770 cassette (11-34), they are ~250g so roughly 1/2 the weight of an equivalent steel sunrace cassette. Note that Shimano XTR M970 is only 20g lighter but as it is made of titanium and aluminium, it will wear quickly. I personally thought it was not worth paying twice the price of 20g and higher wear.
the other thing that saves weight is the crankset; the std arms and BSA sealed bottom bracket are very heavy. if you take them out and swap for a hollow system (threaded cups and Road bike crankset 68mm), you can save a fair amount; how much depends of the crankset you selected. I went for a carbon Praxis crankset (like the force 1 or red) and save ~400g. My rival (aluminium) is ~200g heavier than my force1 (carbon) crankset.

Tyres: assuming, the bike came with something like the marathon 40-406(530g), you can go for kojak (230g or better panaracer Minit lite 32-406 (190g). With the panaracer, the weight saving is ~680g
you could fit TUP inner tubes like tubolito or Revoloop Race ultra which will save 100 to 150g total compared to a std butyl tube but these TUPs are a nighmare to patch when punctures as the glue takes 30min to cure...

Then the classic folding bike parts such as litepro seatpost (~300g and 200ish saving), lighter saddle can save 100 to 250g. Many people have fount that both of these mod can save ~500g together.
the Telescopic handlebar post replace to a monoblock ~200g saving and stiffer.
Some people fit MTB carbon handlebar but they are expensive (over $100) for 20 to 50g saving...

If you don't need the rear rack, mudguards and kick stand, that's 500 to 750g gone.

You can also trim the brake and gear cable and housing which are very long ~100g saving. and more if you go jagwire bamboo type housing.

So in summary:
Wheels : wheelset -400 to -500g / cassette -250g / tyres - 680g = -1.3 to 1.5Kg (with tubolito)
Crankset: -200 to 400g = -0.4kg if you find a 2nd hand Red GXP (~$150)
saddle: -0.5kg
handle post: -0.2kg
mudguard etc: -0.5kg
cable trim: -0.1kg

So if doing all that, it is weight loss of ~3kg or ~6.6Lbs BUT, by the time you do it all, you will have spent more than what the campo is worth new. If it had been a forte, it might be interesting. and obviously, you don't need to do it all.
If doing tyres, saddle/saddlepost, cable trimming (free) and accessories, that's ~1.5kg or 3.3Lbs for ~$100

Last edited by Fentuz; 11-14-22 at 04:14 AM.
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 11-14-22, 08:17 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 365 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentuz
Well... I am currently building a 20" hill climbing "race" bike or to be more accurate, I will race a 20" wheel bike next season. I did a fear amount of research to shave 2Kg... and I think you could take a little more of yours depending of the total weight the bike has to carry.

1st, on a turbo trainer, you need a rear steel skewer, aluminium is not good.

I saw you have a campo so you have single wall rims, a little heavy. As most of weight saving tend to come for the wheelset, if you can find one, get a front Dahon/tern Kinetix pro (74 hub); these are 400g lighter than standard double wall 28 spoke wheel and saving is rotational so more important. While the Zizzo site mentions 7 speed free hub which is not so good. If you go for a kinetix comp (or equivalent - I have a 20 spoke wheel which ~250g lighter than std), you can fit either 8-9or 10 speed cassette. 9 is for me the best compromise as it allows you to upgrade with fewer expenses - you can keep the tourney derailleur. All you need is a "cheap" alivio or altus 9 speed right trigger shifter.
in 9 speed, the best would be a shimano XT M770 cassette (11-34), they are ~250g so roughly 1/2 the weight of an equivalent steel sunrace cassette. Note that Shimano XTR M970 is only 20g lighter but as it is made of titanium and aluminium, it will wear quickly. I personally thought it was not worth paying twice the price of 20g and higher wear.
the other thing that saves weight is the crankset; the std arms and BSA sealed bottom bracket are very heavy. if you take them out and swap for a hollow system (threaded cups and Road bike crankset 68mm), you can save a fair amount; how much depends of the crankset you selected. I went for a carbon Praxis crankset (like the force 1 or red) and save ~400g. My rival (aluminium) is ~200g heavier than my force1 (carbon) crankset.

Tyres: assuming, the bike came with something like the marathon 40-406(530g), you can go for kojak (230g or better panaracer Minit lite 32-406 (190g). With the panaracer, the weight saving is ~680g
you could fit TUP inner tubes like tubolito or Revoloop Race ultra which will save 100 to 150g total compared to a std butyl tube but these TUPs are a nighmare to patch when punctures as the glue takes 30min to cure...

Then the classic folding bike parts such as litepro seatpost (~300g and 200ish saving), lighter saddle can save 100 to 250g. Many people have fount that both of these mod can save ~500g together.
the Telescopic handlebar post replace to a monoblock ~200g saving and stiffer.
Some people fit MTB carbon handlebar but they are expensive (over $100) for 20 to 50g saving...

If you don't need the rear rack, mudguards and kick stand, that's 500 to 750g gone.

You can also trim the brake and gear cable and housing which are very long ~100g saving. and more if you go jagwire bamboo type housing.

So in summary:
Wheels : wheelset -400 to -500g / cassette -250g / tyres - 680g = -1.3 to 1.5Kg (with tubolito)
Crankset: -200 to 400g = -0.4kg if you find a 2nd hand Red GXP (~$150)
saddle: -0.5kg
handle post: -0.2kg
mudguard etc: -0.5kg
cable trim: -0.1kg

So if doing all that, it is weight loss of ~3kg or ~6.6Lbs BUT, by the time you do it all, you will have spent more than what the campo is worth new. If it had been a forte, it might be interesting. and obviously, you don't need to do it all.
If doing tyres, saddle/saddlepost, cable trimming (free) and accessories, that's ~1.5kg or 3.3Lbs for ~$100
This is great info that I'm going to bookmark for a possible winter project. But, was I wrong to assume the OP was concerned about his weight rather than the weight of the Campo?
Old 11-14-22, 09:23 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios P18, customized Dahon Smooth Hound P9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 D7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup), Frog 52 9s and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezyRider
But, was I wrong to assume the OP was concerned about his weight rather than the weight of the Campo?
it might be, I might have misread or at least, I did no fine the post that clear.
or I might be totally biais after all the research I did in the last few weeks....
Old 11-14-22, 09:59 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 365 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentuz
it might be, I might have misread or at least, I did no fine the post that clear.
or I might be totally biais after all the research I did in the last few weeks....
My clue was that anyone putting a Cloud9 saddle on their bike isn't concerned about bike weight.
Old 11-14-22, 12:18 PM
wooki

Yep, it's my weight not the bike...I appreciate the great information. I am more concerned about breaking the bike (or myself on the bike when it does). For now the extra seat weight is not a bad thing as it makes me work harder...sorry about the lack of clarity in my OP.
Old 11-14-22, 12:43 PM
wooki

Yep, it's my weight not the bike...I appreciate the great information. I am more concerned about breaking the bike (or myself on the bike when it does). For now the extra seat weight is not a bad thing as it makes me work harder...sorry about the lack of clarity in my OP.
I purchased the Campo model mainly to use for light workouts on an indoor trainer stand and for occasional outdoor use by a friend....I picked the lighter weight capacity model as my primary outdoor bike is the heavier duty Forte model. I got a great deal of over $130 off the average retail price on the Campo as new, still in its original boxes, couldn't pass it up...think it will be fine for my use and it is assisting me in losing weight during the winter bad weather or summer heat waves we have here in the US midwest....Cheers
Old 11-14-22, 03:45 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 533 Times in 327 Posts
I purchased the Campo model mainly to use for light workouts on an indoor trainer stand and for occasional outdoor use by a friend....I picked the lighter weight capacity model as my primary outdoor bike is the heavier duty Forte model. I got a great deal of over $130 off the average retail price on the Campo as new, still in its original boxes, couldn't pass it up...think it will be fine for my use and it is assisting me in losing weight during the winter bad weather or summer heat waves we have here in the US midwest....Cheers
I am now about 9kg (18.2 lbs) lighter than I was a couple of years ago. What did it? It wasn't cycling. It was fasting and doing a system re-boot on my metabolism to run in a different way. Sugar really is a poison. 😉
Old 11-14-22, 03:49 PM
wooki

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
I am now about 9kg (18.2 lbs) lighter than I was a couple of years ago. What did it? It wasn't cycling. It was fasting and doing a system re-boot on my metabolism to run in a different way. Sugar really is a poison. 😉
I'm doing that too, and have already lost about 10lbs...
Old 11-15-22, 01:26 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 568 Posts
For future reference, the Origami Bull supports over a 300lb rider,...

https://www.origamibicycles.com/shop/p/bull