Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

A new track bike design - interesting!

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-23, 10:38 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wil...aris-olympics/

So far only one. But the plan is to make more molds for different sizes and get them out there for the Worlds in England in August so the bike will qualify for next year's Olympics. Bike shoots to capitalize on the new rules on handlebar reach and tubing aerodynamics. (As someone who was fascinated/obsessed with aero/hydrodyanics as the pertained to sailboats and studied ship design with a fair sampling of aero long ago, I love this. But I also love that this bike is an attempt to "keep it real". Most of the bike's key parts are ordinary old standards. 1 1/8" steerer. 68mm BB with threads! 100/120 dropout spacing for ordinary track wheels.

No agenda here. I don't race, let alone on the velodrome. I know nothing about this venture save what I read in the link above. Sadly the local velodrome is closed down and will soon be gone. But this bike looks like it could be a game changer for the better. A less expensive super aero bike that once obtained could be raced as cheaply and on the same equipment as a 1970s steel bike. Where you can show up at the velodrome (perhaps flying in with your bike but not everything you own) and over the weekend, borrow wheels and drivetrain bits to race events you weren't planning on. (Like the track record challenge a spectator put up a nice prize for that requires a crankset and wheels you didn't bring.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-16-23, 11:04 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
interesting story, thx for the post.
Old 08-01-23, 01:03 AM
SuperDaveFelt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wil...aris-olympics/

So far only one. But the plan is to make more molds for different sizes and get them out there for the Worlds in England in August so the bike will qualify for next year's Olympics. Bike shoots to capitalize on the new rules on handlebar reach and tubing aerodynamics. (As someone who was fascinated/obsessed with aero/hydrodyanics as the pertained to sailboats and studied ship design with a fair sampling of aero long ago, I love this. But I also love that this bike is an attempt to "keep it real". Most of the bike's key parts are ordinary old standards. 1 1/8" steerer. 68mm BB with threads! 100/120 dropout spacing for ordinary track wheels.

No agenda here. I don't race, let alone on the velodrome. I know nothing about this venture save what I read in the link above. Sadly the local velodrome is closed down and will soon be gone. But this bike looks like it could be a game changer for the better. A less expensive super aero bike that once obtained could be raced as cheaply and on the same equipment as a 1970s steel bike. Where you can show up at the velodrome (perhaps flying in with your bike but not everything you own) and over the weekend, borrow wheels and drivetrain bits to race events you weren't planning on. (Like the track record challenge a spectator put up a nice prize for that requires a crankset and wheels you didn't bring.)
I'm excited to report the first frames have completed all testing and are in Glasgow to be used for the first time in competition this week.

Been a crazy few months getting to this point!

-SD
Likes For SuperDaveFelt:
Old 08-04-23, 11:17 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDaveFelt
I'm excited to report the first frames have completed all testing and are in Glasgow to be used for the first time in competition this week.

Been a crazy few months getting to this point!

-SD
who's riding them?
Old 08-14-23, 06:13 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Met SuperDave this week at Masters Track Nats and checked out the Stromm. It's a pretty sweet bike.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 08-15-23, 10:09 AM
Dfarlow
Flintstone In Training

Bikes: 2021 Fuji Track Elite; 2015 Cipollini RB800; 2014 Specialized S-Works SL4 Ltd; 2013 Firefly Ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ditto - can't wait to get mine soon.
Old 08-22-23, 12:44 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
@SuperDaveFelt, as I'm sure you know, many great bikes were hamstrung by seatpost issues, including early TK1s that used the Ritchey style. Felt eventually ditched that style for the TK1 or TK FRD.