Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki bicycle help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nishiki bicycle help

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-23, 12:01 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Great starter bike. If the saddle feels good, keep it for now. As you become more conditioned to riding longer distances on a regular basis, you may want to change over to a faster, racier bike, but that's up to you. You'll know it when you get there.

I'm another vote for Pasela tires, I have them on a a half dozen bikes and they are a good compromise between supple and durable. Those Contis you ordered weigh about twice what Paselas weigh, and will likely be rather heavy and stiff, is my guess. But also indestructible.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 05-31-23 at 12:06 AM.
Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 05-31-23, 03:12 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
Regarding the rear "cassette" - if it's SunTour equipped and from the mid-1980s, it's very likely got a freewheel vice a cassette-type hub.
Later pics show a freewheel-shaped hub.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 05-31-23, 07:56 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Later pics show a freewheel-shaped hub.
IMO you're correct. Some very early Shimano Uniglide hubs (e.g., most but not all having the pressed-on freehub) are shaped similarly, but I'm reasonably certain the rear sprockets pictured above aren't Uniglide sprockets.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 06-02-23, 09:07 PM
SmoggyTwinkles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Great starter bike. If the saddle feels good, keep it for now. As you become more conditioned to riding longer distances on a regular basis, you may want to change over to a faster, racier bike, but that's up to you. You'll know it when you get there.

I'm another vote for Pasela tires, I have them on a a half dozen bikes and they are a good compromise between supple and durable. Those Contis you ordered weigh about twice what Paselas weigh, and will likely be rather heavy and stiff, is my guess. But also indestructible.
I'm not looking to get into long distance riding. I just want to cruise and take it slow. Perhaps socialize a bit more. That type of thing. This bike seems to suit that and I'm totally having a great time both learning about cycling again and also doing it instead of thinking about doing it.

Just trying to get this "up to speed" as best I can, pun intended. It's more about the experience for me vs. exercise............and that is the part that has blown me away. Just even being a casual bike rider, you are getting great exercise while having a good time. It's win win.
Old 06-30-23, 10:56 PM
SmoggyTwinkles

This thread was and is super supportive.

Tomorrow I'm doing what I was probably subconciously wanting to do by getting my own bicycle.

Why did I stop riding or even having a bicycle when I turned 11 years old?

This is so fun!

I'm throwing this thing in my trunk tomorrow morning, hanging an orange flag so I am legal, taking the train into the big city, and cruising around the lake front until I get bored of that.

Then going back home.

Adventure time. Bless me nice weather. Happy Canada Day btw.
Likes For SmoggyTwinkles:
Old 07-02-23, 12:02 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Great to hear you're having fun. Few things are as fun as riding your bike.
​​​​
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 07-02-23, 12:36 PM
SmoggyTwinkles

I had an absolute blast!

Had such an awesome Canada Day yesterday............

This video............maybe not cool to some people, but I had a good time, and took my time, and yeah.

Nishiki is in the background.
Old 07-02-23, 01:17 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I like Schwalbe KOJAK tires.
Old 09-02-23, 01:08 PM
SmoggyTwinkles

Any suggestions for a gooseneck mirror for my bike?

Love this thing btw. Maybe I should update some photos. Really just the tires are awesome, and I have a phone mount which is also awesome.

This thing is a cruiser bike though. It shifts great, and I just take my time going places and it's a blast.

Maybe something better in the future but happy with this for now.
Old 09-02-23, 02:12 PM
SmoggyTwinkles

Still enjoying this bike. Got rid of the bouncy suspension thing because this must be a Large size bicycle, a little too big for me with that seat thing. But it's fine without it.

I'll get a better bike someday hopefully but not anytime soon. A bit down on the list of things I want to spend money on when I'm satisfied with this for now.
Old 09-02-23, 07:56 PM
SmoggyTwinkles

Originally Posted by rgvg
Why not panaracer paselas? Lots of people here use them on 27", 700c, and 26".
I'll tell you why not Panaracer Paselas.............

And it's not Panaracer's fault.

Before I had this bike I was trying to refurbish my fathers old Raleigh. And the tires suggested to me were Panaracer's.

So I took it to this place I go, well the rims.....

They installed the Panaracer's on the spot. I had an appointment at a nearby barber and I don't mess around there, and they did it on the spot (I didn't try to push them btw, they were super cool and understanding)

So I get the rims back with my new tires on there, put them in the back seat, drive to the barber which is five minutes away, and start hearing a crazy sound and then BOOM.

Like shotgun going off. So no Parasellas for me ever again. They made it right btw, I'm just saying...........scarred for life haha. The Continentals are awesome. I'm sure Parasellas are great but yeah that one blowing up while I'm driving did me in as far as considering that tire (and it wasn't the tire that was the problem I know that, the service guy clearly screwed something up)
Old 09-03-23, 06:05 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 416 Posts
Originally Posted by SmoggyTwinkles
I'll tell you why not Panaracer Paselas.............

And it's not Panaracer's fault.

Before I had this bike I was trying to refurbish my fathers old Raleigh. And the tires suggested to me were Panaracer's.

So I took it to this place I go, well the rims.....

They installed the Panaracer's on the spot. I had an appointment at a nearby barber and I don't mess around there, and they did it on the spot (I didn't try to push them btw, they were super cool and understanding)

So I get the rims back with my new tires on there, put them in the back seat, drive to the barber which is five minutes away, and start hearing a crazy sound and then BOOM.

Like shotgun going off. So no Parasellas for me ever again. They made it right btw, I'm just saying...........scarred for life haha. The Continentals are awesome. I'm sure Parasellas are great but yeah that one blowing up while I'm driving did me in as far as considering that tire (and it wasn't the tire that was the problem I know that, the service guy clearly screwed something up)
This is probably the bike shop putting folding tires on old hookless rims that needed wire bead tires.
Plenty of older bikes have rims without hooks to hold the tire beads in place.
Also, plenty of bike shops with younger guys working in the back who don't know this.
Likes For daverup:
Old 09-03-23, 10:45 AM
SmoggyTwinkles

Originally Posted by daverup
This is probably the bike shop putting folding tires on old hookless rims that needed wire bead tires.
Plenty of older bikes have rims without hooks to hold the tire beads in place.
Also, plenty of bike shops with younger guys working in the back who don't know this.
Yeah this is basically exactly what happened.

They made it right. I returned the Paselas (bought them off Amazon) and they put some Specialized tires on there for free.

I just like the Continental stuff personally. So far so good. And the ones I got were $40 each and look and feel like they should be double that price. They ride nice.
Likes For SmoggyTwinkles:
Old 09-03-23, 11:12 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
You want the Mirrycle bar end mirror. Out for at least 40 years and still the best. Inexpensive too.

Likes For sd5782:
Old 09-03-23, 12:50 PM
SmoggyTwinkles

Originally Posted by sd5782
You want the Mirrycle bar end mirror. Out for at least 40 years and still the best. Inexpensive too.

I'm not sure that will work with my grips though.............

Appreciate the suggestion.

I need to go take some more photos. BRB (maybe throw some vintage Brooks content in there?)
Old 09-03-23, 01:08 PM
SmoggyTwinkles

I could move the bell to the right side, and install a mirror on the left?

I'm in Canada, left hand drive, thus I want a mirror for my left just for extra safety.
Old 09-03-23, 03:20 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
With that mirror, you would need to cut a hole in end of the grips. Sounds drastic, but once you have used these mirrors, nothing else will do, and accommodations including new grips are well worth it. Your hole in left grip where it needs to be might be just a bit small. Mirror in hand will let you know. It tightens like a quill stem with a wedge expander. Cost is about $20.
Likes For sd5782:
Old 09-03-23, 05:08 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by SmoggyTwinkles

Still enjoying this bike. Got rid of the bouncy suspension thing because this must be a Large size bicycle, a little too big for me with that seat thing. But it's fine without it.

I'll get a better bike someday hopefully but not anytime soon. A bit down on the list of things I want to spend money on when I'm satisfied with this for now.
Looks great I do like the look of mixte MTB frame and color should work great for years as a basic rider.