Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hitch rack impact

Old 06-01-23, 08:35 PM
janthenat

Bikes: 1995 GT Tequesta, 20?? Miele Toscana 300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts
Hitch rack impact

So I’m sitting in traffic and my car bucks forward because of a bump at the rear. A big delivery truck rolled forward into my new 2” hitch receiver mounted KAC C2 rack. It was folded up/closed with no bikes when it was impacted at the rounded steel plates that hold it in its up, down, and tilted positions. There is no visible damage except that the impact pushed the upright section of 2“ square 90 degree bent steel a few degrees past 90. Seems like it will still work just fine, but bikes will be leaning just a little towards the car. I got this thing cheap and I’m debating whether to just use it as is, or try to bend it back to 90, or see about replacement parts. Thoughts?

Old 06-01-23, 08:44 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
RATS!
But the bikes tilted a little towards the car may not be a bad thing...
Old 06-01-23, 09:14 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
janthenat Why won't the truck's insurance make you whole - new rack?

Last edited by Camilo; 06-03-23 at 05:32 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-01-23, 09:15 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
Delivery truck driver or his/her employer owes you a new bike rack.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-01-23, 09:21 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,359 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Delivery truck driver or his/her employer owes you a new bike rack.
Pocket the payment and fix the old one.
Old 06-01-23, 09:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
The rack is a brand I have never heard of but I would say any rack is first and foremost a safety device. Yes it holds bike and that is probably why you bought it but if that rack fails someone could have pretty horrible consequences for someone behind you.

Being damaged and a cheap brand (from your words) I wouldn't trust it but being a safety device I might be cautious of it before damage. Yakima, Küat, Thule, 1UP are all good known quantities and well trusted I would go for their stuff. Obviously a crash is a crash and I would be cautious after a crash with any rack but all those brands I can easily get in touch with and get support for them as needed.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-02-23, 07:09 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Start with the premise that the truck driver (and his insurance) owe you a new rack. But before you accept the settlement, take your car to a dealer or a good mechanic to make sure there's no damage to the car's frame -- and add that inspection cost to the bill.
Old 06-02-23, 08:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
my 2 cents, use as-is

I got rear ended & my rack smacked into my rear hatch & required all kinds of work. eventually bought a new rack. but the hitch seemed fine

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...-whaaaa-2.html
Old 06-03-23, 05:11 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 328 Posts
I was in a similar situation once after being rear ended and having a steel hitch rack slightly bent. I continued to use the rack, but often inspected the bent area VERY closely for any signs of cracking, further bending, or corrosion from the damaged powder coat in that spot. I’m familiar enough with metal working to feel comfortable assessing the safety of something like this, but if you aren’t then I strongly suggest replacing the rack, as this is something you really shouldn’t be too risky with. Remember it’s not just your bikes at stake if the rack fails, but potentially other people’s safety.

Like others have pointed out, are you getting reimbursed from the driver or their insurance? If so I’d replace the rack and call it done.