Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Wow, a Folding Bike!

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Wow, a Folding Bike!

Old 11-14-22, 05:21 PM
jgcycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, a Folding Bike!

After hitting senior status and part retirement, I get arthritis and more and think my option is to get a folding bike so I can get my leg over the bar.
But I'm 250 and 5, 9,, a mixte could not work, but I I think some of these folders will work, Ferro. Izzo Campo are priced right with the Hawk a b it more.
Ilike 30 pounds or less with several gears (can replace Revoshift with thumb)

What I see missing is a frame size -S, M, L How does one determine the fit?
I'm used to vintage road bikes and would work them.

So a close call to some, what should I look for future mods, but I'm ready to ride now.
Do any of these have anti-theft? Have lon;y looked at popular brands on the internet.

Thanks
Jim
Old 11-14-22, 05:30 PM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 217 Posts
Folders are usually one size fits all because adjusting the stem and seatpost is part of the folding action. Reach (top tube length) is fixed. My wife and I are 8 inches apart in height and both use the Zizzo comfortably. It's an upright position but the bike is not geared high enough for speed, anyway. Drop bars interfere with the fold so usually not available/practical.
Old 11-14-22, 05:54 PM
wooki

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
The previous poster is correct, the Zizzo folders are one size fits all. I am in your weight range but 6ft tall. I now have two of the Zizzo models, the more heavy duty (and expensive Forte and a Campo model. Both work will for me as a retired senior. I use them around the neighborhood and on a rail trail or other finished (paved or gravel) path. Since the seat height and handlebar heights are fully adjustable (within seconds) you can easily change your bike for another rider....I just picked up a yellow Campo new from Amazon at a good discount from regular price and I just checked and now the white color Campo is the one on sale ($249 + tax). Amazon is allowing returns for Christmas until Jan 31st so it is a good time to buy with a long try out period...cheers...
Likes For wooki:
Old 11-15-22, 01:24 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 568 Posts
The Origami Bull has a stated weight limit of 300lbs, but can support up to 360lbs (as per the owner of Origami Bicycles Pinigis ).
https://www.origamibicycles.com/shop/p/bull
Old 11-15-22, 05:27 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by jgcycle
After hitting senior status and part retirement, I get arthritis and more and think my option is to get a folding bike so I can get my leg over the bar.
But I'm 250 and 5, 9,, a mixte could not work, but I I think some of these folders will work, Ferro. Izzo Campo are priced right with the Hawk a b it more.
Ilike 30 pounds or less with several gears (can replace Revoshift with thumb)

What I see missing is a frame size -S, M, L How does one determine the fit?
I'm used to vintage road bikes and would work them.

So a close call to some, what should I look for future mods, but I'm ready to ride now.
Do any of these have anti-theft? Have lon;y looked at popular brands on the internet.

Thanks
Jim
Yes. The ones that fold to the side can usually be rolled while folded, thus easy to bring with you.

I recommend getting one with a chromoly steel frame, not aluminum. Aluminum folding frames suffer from limited use life due to the nature of how this metal fatigues. Also aluminum frames are typically not actually lighter than chromoly ones at all, despite their typical marketing claims. The only exception to these are a specific frame design which uses the seatpost itself to lock the frame open. But those are out of production and unlikely to return in any kind of satisfactory implementation.

Stay away from folding bicycles with disc brakes, if you can. Rim brakes are much easier to manage. I don't buy any disc brake bicycles unless they have what are known as thru-axles. No production folding bicycles have those, though, due to the cheap-OEM nature of this bicycle genre.
Old 11-15-22, 08:43 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 534 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
... Also aluminum frames are typically not actually lighter than chromoly ones at all, despite their typical marketing claims. The only exception to these are a specific frame design which uses the seatpost itself to lock the frame open. ...
When it comes to FnHon, the aluminum alloy frames are distinctly lighter than the chomoly frames. Not by a lot but certainly noticeable by holding both in the hand at the same time. The Blast is lighter than the Storm or Gust 20. The Zephyr is lighter than the Gust 16. I was actually surprised by how light the Zephyr frame feels in the hand.