Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

COVID, take 2…

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-23, 12:09 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Heard that researchers stated that if you take Paxlovid within 3-4 days of the onset of symptoms, your chance of developing long COVID is dramatically reduced.
Pfizer claims 26% reduced, which I guess means one fewer out of four. It was enough to make us get it immediately after testing positive.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-12-23, 05:48 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Pfizer claims 26% reduced, which I guess means one fewer out of four. It was enough to make us get it immediately after testing positive.
It's one of those "It can't hurt, it may help".
Old 04-12-23, 06:15 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

It can potentially hurt kidneys and/or liver. (one of the drugs is a liver enzyme inhibitor to increase the half-life of the protease inhibitor).

There is no free lunch.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-12-23, 11:52 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

My wife cleared it. We have 2 12-hour doses of Paxlovid remaining. I hope there is no "rebound" after the end. A 5 day course seems a bit optimistic, but the drugs aren't probably something you want to use more than needed.
Old 04-12-23, 06:23 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
My wife cleared it. We have 2 12-hour doses of Paxlovid remaining. I hope there is no "rebound" after the end. A 5 day course seems a bit optimistic, but the drugs aren't probably something you want to use more than needed.
My wife is immunocompromised so we had a course while traveling abroad, just in case. Well we both got it at the end of week one of a three week trip. She took Paxlovid and her symptoms cleared up in a couple of days and everything had a metallic taste. I just dealt with the symptoms of a pretty good head cold. The bummer was not being able to eat in dining rooms, so it was room service, a lot of take-out, and eating outdoors. When we returned home I tested negative and she rebounded, but at least she was home.

Old 04-12-23, 06:33 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

How long after the Paxlovid ended did she rebound? Sounds like more than a week.
Old 04-19-23, 01:26 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I've got a rebound now, after testing negative 3 days in a row, starting 6 days ago.

I think this is a lot more common than Pfizer's 2% claim.
Old 04-19-23, 05:19 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

We both came up positive using the Abbott BinaxNOW lateral flow test.

Abbott's the gold standard.

Well, it is, when they trouble themselves to include all of the components in the (factory sealed) box. Grrr.
Old 04-19-23, 06:57 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Well, it is, when they trouble themselves to include all of the components in the (factory sealed) box. Grrr.
I guess I've been lucky I never had anything missing out of one of the boxes. I did once however get an extra dropper in one of the boxes.
Old 04-19-23, 07:52 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Lombard
I guess I've been lucky I never had anything missing out of one of the boxes. I did once however get an extra dropper in one of the boxes.
This was one that my wife paid $40 for (2 tests), because it has some sort of internet app it is connected to, and at one point in the UK they had someone that would watch you take the test in real-time over video cam. So she got real lucky that this one was the left-over. But it still irks me, and makes me feel foolish recommending this to everyone.

The 5-pack for $25 at Costco works fine, and has the merit of including everything needed.

The funny thing is last night I was looking at the Abbott kits on Amazon, and most gave it a high rating, and there were a few 1-star reviews, which I decided to read. All of them involved parts missing.
Old 04-19-23, 08:10 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

This was one that my wife paid $40 for (2 tests), because it has some sort of internet app it is connected to, and at one point in the UK they had someone that would watch you take the test in real-time over video cam. So she got real lucky that this one was the left-over. But it still irks me, and makes me feel foolish recommending this to everyone.

The 5-pack for $25 at Costco works fine, and has the merit of including everything needed.

The funny thing is last night I was looking at the Abbott kits on Amazon, and most gave it a high rating, and there were a few 1-star reviews, which I decided to read. All of them involved parts missing.
The Abbott Binax NOW tests are around $22 here at CVS and Walgreens for a box with 2 tests.
Old 04-19-23, 08:13 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Lombard
The Abbott Binax NOW tests are around $22 here at CVS and Walgreens for a box with 2 tests.
Yeah, hers was a special subset that was linked to international travel (I didn't go, so didn't really pay attention to how it works).