Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Latanaprost; Latanoprost/Timolol

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-23, 04:36 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts

I am about to embark on these as a combination single dose preservative free eye drop called Fixapost. I've read the stuff on it, and am concerned about the effect this can have on the heart.
I already have had singns of arrhythmia, and a slow but sometimes fluctuating heartbeat.
A small statin dose seems to have stabilised that, but I'm not happy about these eyedrops which are in effect, for extremely high myopia. A lot of people seem not to like them and the warnings would indicate caution in my case.
I'm fortunate to get these tablets I guess; they'll cost more to produce than those containing the dreaded Benzalkonium Chloride
Anybody?.
Old 04-29-23, 07:28 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 435 Posts
72 y.o. and use Latanoprost drops (.005%) and the only side effect I've encountered has been an ingrown eyelash a couple of times (apparently it causes an increase in the number of eyelashes). Having cataract surgery soon, and doc thinks I can get off the drops afterwards.
Old 04-29-23, 09:28 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
73, on them for years, no side effects, keeping pressures in check as I deal with PCa - Prostate Cancer
Old 04-29-23, 09:34 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Interesting.

Latanoprost (Ophthalmic Route) Side Effects - Mayo Clinic

Old 04-29-23, 04:40 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
For what it's worth, at 83yo, I take dorzolamide, timelol and zioptan for my glaucoma in my left eye. It's keeping the pressures about 16. I don't notice any side effects from any of those drugs. By the way, I take preservative free and I can get three to six drops from one single dose vial, at my doc's recommendation. Saves a lot on copays.
When I had my first cataract removed from the left eye this eye was normal. The glaucoma did not show up until later, therefore I could not have a stent put in under Medicare rules. When we did the right eye later, the pressure was high so they were able to put a stent in under Medicare rules. Doesn't make any sense does it? I have lost about 50% vision in my left eye

Last edited by gobicycling; 04-30-23 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-30-23, 07:50 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
I've never ;liked using drops in the eyes, and truth be known, most often haven't bothered since it's myopia I have, not glaucoma. Symptoms are identical, and it happens (never knew that then) the treatment with drops is identical too.
The optician was none the wiser, but I soon noticed the difference in my right eye. Rapid deterioration gently persuaded me to comply, and I'm taking the drops again.
Age 74.5; eye prescription before lens replacement surgery Minus 23,L Minus 20,R. No other eye probs, lucky me. Pulse 44 BP normal to optimal.
I've learned to love my statin.