Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Knee Pain Revisited

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Knee Pain Revisited

Old 05-07-23, 03:20 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Knee Pain Revisited

Thursday I had my second cortisone shot. This is what the doctor told me. I have remarkably little arthritis for my age. (76) The pain is coming from torn meniscus. He is trying to keep me out of the operating room since I had bypass surgery 6 years ago. Yesterday I biked 20 miles followed by a 2 mile walk. Everything was alright until the night. I am now experiencing pain. I really hate to go back on Aleve.
Old 05-07-23, 10:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Are you pedaling easy gears or do you feel like you have to have some resistance to your pedaling and ride with a low cadence? My son has a suspected torn meniscus. I don't know why he won't push to find out for certain if it is or isn't, but he's an adult. So it's his choice.

I did put a cassette with a larger cog on the rear to give him a lower gear ratio for the hills around here. That helped a lot till he started feeling stronger in the legs and decided to push those higher ratio gears again. I'm also wondering if getting him a shorter crank might help too. But he's stubborn and doesn't like to try things that we can put back the other way if it turns out it doesn't do anything for him.

I'm not a medical professional. So I have no idea why a bypass surgery has an impact on whether or not you should get your torn meniscus fixed. However a good physical therapist might help too. When my son was having a lot of issues with his knee, the exercises and stretching the PT had him doing seemed to help a lot.
Old 05-07-23, 06:55 PM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
I came back from a week at the beach and snorkeling with a sore hip joint. That caused me to walk with a hitch in my step, which then turned to a sore knee. I've never had knee problems on the bike, and stayed off it this week. My local doc put me on a steroid course, which seems to have me back to normal. I'll probably try a short ride this week to test it all out.
I hope you get a non-evasive solution!