Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Surgeries Pending - Need Rideshare Advice

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Surgeries Pending - Need Rideshare Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-23, 08:44 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
They're doing drive-thru hip and knee replacements now. From the Mayo clinic:
https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.o...rgery-possible
My wife had two same-day knees. She was low-risk and a candidate for robotic surgery, which is faster and involves smaller incisions, etc. The experience was excellent and the followup flawless. Obviously, anyone fragile or complicated may need and should have an inpatient bed, but hospitals are not exactly safe places.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 06-02-23, 09:50 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
They're doing drive-thru hip and knee replacements now. From the Mayo clinic:
https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.o...rgery-possible
That link would be more reassuring if they hadn't used exactly the same page design and fonts as The Onion.
Old 06-02-23, 12:13 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Same with colonoscopies. The clinic won't do it without anesthesia and the same requirement for family or friend to accompany me throughout, including waiting in the lobby during the procedure. But my last colonoscopies were during the 1990s -- day clinic, no anesthesia, drove myself there and back home. No problems. It was a little uncomfortable but nothing bad enough to need anesthesia.
I had some hemorrhoids removed a couple of years ago under sedation. However, it must have been pretty deep sedation because I don't remember a thing from during the procedure. They required me to get a friend to check me out despite my feeling 100% fine. I was given a bottle of pain pills for later, but didn't take a single one. Anyway, the friend and I went to a nearby coffee shop. I got my Cappucino, then we agreed that I could drive myself home.

The OP's surgeries aren't surgeries that I would want to drive home from.

I've done Bike Friday folding bike assists for my mother and one of her acquaintances. They drove to the hospital. I rode my bike to pick them up and drive their car back.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 06-04-23, 08:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
General anesthesia isn't just one size fits all for every type of surgery. Depending on the surgery it can be anywhere from one drug to put you to sleep and some local anesthesia for the pain. Or you might receive a big cocktail of sleep inducing drugs along with narcotics for the pain. And there are different cocktails depending on the surgery and the individual having the surgery. As well as some preference of the anesthetist.

So don't think one experience where you were good to go that afternoon will be true for all.
Old 08-10-23, 07:42 PM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Thanks everybody.

Cataract surgery went super, I can see again.

Hip replacement surgery went well also. Physical Therapy kicks my butt twice/week.

Shopping for new SPD shoes, looking forward to getting back on the bike.

fat biker
Likes For fat biker:
Old 08-11-23, 08:15 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Please be sure and check with the hospital regarding their release procedures. Our hospitals around here will not early release a patient to a Uber driver or taxi.
Yeah. At a minimum he will almost certainly need someone to accompany him. A responsible adult.