Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Us Your 650B Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Us Your 650B Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-23, 11:10 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
I'm curious to know where folks are getting 650b skewer wheels? Everything I'm finding are through axles and I don't want to use the convertors. thanks!
There really aren't a lot of options out there for rim-brake 650b wheel sets. Cycles Toussaint currently have sets in stock for pretty cheap (though shipping from Canada may bite you, and I've got no experience with them). The dearth of options (which was even more acute early in the pandemic) inspired me to learn to build my own wheels- by waiting for VO sales, I've built up a couple 650b sets using their hubs and Voyageur rims for around $300 (including spokes). Built up several 700c wheel sets now, too. There's definitely a learning curve, and the first set I did I think I laced and re-laced a couple time before I got it right- but it gets easier and a little more intuitive each time. And by building your own, you can get exactly what you want!
Old 03-24-23, 11:18 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
There really aren't a lot of options out there for rim-brake 650b wheel sets. Cycles Toussaint currently have sets in stock for pretty cheap (though shipping from Canada may bite you, and I've got no experience with them). The dearth of options (which was even more acute early in the pandemic) inspired me to learn to build my own wheels- by waiting for VO sales, I've built up a couple 650b sets using their hubs and Voyageur rims for around $300 (including spokes). Built up several 700c wheel sets now, too. There's definitely a learning curve, and the first set I did I think I laced and re-laced a couple time before I got it right- but it gets easier and a little more intuitive each time. And by building your own, you can get exactly what you want!
Thought about it, really don't want to! I should have added I want disc brake wheels. The issue is everything new is through axle.
Old 03-24-23, 12:01 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Thought about it, really don't want to! I should have added I want disc brake wheels. The issue is everything new is through axle.
Ah, got it.
Old 03-24-23, 08:25 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
Then, in practical terms, you're going to have to go for a set that's convertible between through-axle and QR with endcaps.

The cheapest reasonable ones I know of are these:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod187140
and the conversion kits add a little cost. They're out of stock right now, but sign up for a notification and it shouldn't be too long.
Old 03-24-23, 08:52 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
I'm curious to know where folks are getting 650b skewer wheels? Everything I'm finding are through axles and I don't want to use the convertors. thanks!
I build mine but those cycles toussaint ones do look nice.
Sorry I reread and those aren't gonna meet your needs.
Old 03-25-23, 05:01 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
I've had good luck with wheels from Velomine, they have at least a few QR 650b options (assuming you have 100/135 spacing):

https://velomine.com/products/dt-swi...bike-wheels-qr

https://velomine.com/products/weinma...heels-clincher

just a few examples, they have more.

For rim brake users, they also have a few budget wheels:

https://velomine.com/products/sta-tr...r-qr-rim-brake

I ordered this FW wheel set for my 650b fixed gear conversion I'm working on, so I had to cut down the axle, juggle the spacers, and redish the wheel, and it doesn't have a proper lockring. BUT, the Sta True rim looks decent, and surprisingly it claims tubeless compatibility. I'm still waiting for my tires to arrive to see how installation goes:

https://velomine.com/products/sta-tr...a4857617&_ss=r

Old 03-25-23, 07:04 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by seat_boy
I've had good luck with wheels from Velomine, they have at least a few QR 650b options (assuming you have 100/135 spacing):

https://velomine.com/products/dt-swi...bike-wheels-qr

https://velomine.com/products/weinma...heels-clincher

just a few examples, they have more.

I ordered this FW wheel set for my 650b fixed gear conversion I'm working on, so I had to cut down the axle, juggle the spacers, and redish the wheel, and it doesn't have a proper lockring. BUT, the Sta True rim looks decent, and surprisingly it claims tubeless compatibility. I'm still waiting for my tires to arrive to see how installation goes:

Wow, great prices for some nice looking wheels. Great resource, thanks!
Old 03-25-23, 09:57 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
This Raleigh International has a very high bottom bracket. With 700x35’s it was 290mm. It rode fine but I decided to throw a set of 650b wheels on it to lower it some. These are the Cycles Toussaint wheels with Pari Moto 42’s. It rides even better now. Tomorrow I am going to take it for a longer ride to get a better idea. Honestly, though, based on the looks alone, it would have to awful for me not to like it.

These are 700c fenders. I’ll mess with the alignment when I get some 650b fenders.

The brakes are Tektro 559 with bdop offset pad holders. They work great.

Old 03-25-23, 02:58 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by beicster
This Raleigh International has a [snip]
Yep lovely bike, congrats. Pari-Motos are fast. I love that fork crown with the decorative "weight reduction" slot milled into the front. Always admired those.

Is that Avocet headset the roller-bearing kind? I think they made a ball-bearing set too and I don't know how to tell from the outside look.
If roller-bearing, have you had it apart? I have one in a box that I've been a little afraid to use because I've heard they are difficult to disassemble as in take it back off the bike. Or am I thinking of the Galli roller-bearing? Anyway, it's probably durable enough to outlast the bike, so disassembly might be moot. Just curious.

Mark
Old 03-25-23, 04:48 PM
beicster 

Originally Posted by bulgie
Yep lovely bike, congrats. Pari-Motos are fast. I love that fork crown with the decorative "weight reduction" slot milled into the front. Always admired those.

Is that Avocet headset the roller-bearing kind? I think they made a ball-bearing set too and I don't know how to tell from the outside look.
If roller-bearing, have you had it apart? I have one in a box that I've been a little afraid to use because I've heard they are difficult to disassemble as in take it back off the bike. Or am I thinking of the Galli roller-bearing? Anyway, it's probably durable enough to outlast the bike, so disassembly might be moot. Just curious.

Mark
I think it has an unusual set of bearings (see below). When I first got it, I could not get the fork out despite removing the adjusting nut and the lock nut. I even hit the top of the fork with a rubber mallet a few times and it did not budge. Since it was turning nice and smooth, I decided to leave well enough alone.

Old 03-26-23, 02:11 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by beicster
When I first got it, I could not get the fork out despite removing the adjusting nut and the lock nut. I even hit the top of the fork with a rubber mallet a few times and it did not budge. Since it was turning nice and smooth, I decided to leave well enough alone.
Yep that's exactly the scenario I was talking about. The lower bearing is pressed onto the fork crown and pressed into the head tube, and then disassembling it becomes nigh-on impossible. Haven't tried it myself, just what I've heard. The bearing itself doesn't like to be disassembled. Luckily it should be extremely durable.

I think hitting the top of the steerer with a plastic mallet is the correct method, you just need to hit it harder! I would thread on a sacrificial headset nut for hammering on to protect the steerer. Some rusty old steel thing, not the nice alloy nut the headset comes with.

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-28-23, 10:52 AM
seat_boy

My report on these Sta Tru rims is so far negative. I spent 30 minutes trying to wrestle a Pari Moto onto the rim, it was super tight. Finally, using my Kool Stop tire jack, I was able to get the tire on--without a tube. Hopefully the bead stretches over the next few days and will allow me to get a tube in there.

It's amazing how many bad 650b rims I've experienced (Synergy, Pacenti, now these). I've never had issues mounting tires with 20", 26", or 700c rims, but I've mostly had crap 650b rims.

Originally Posted by seat_boy

Old 03-28-23, 02:10 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Velocity A23's for the win, especially with an offset rear. ZERO problems in almost seven years, including some pretty hard gravel use.
Old 03-28-23, 05:49 PM
seat_boy

But don't the A23s have a narrow brake track? I've read that somewhere.

Of course, I would trade a narrow brake track for actually being able to mount a tire...
Old 03-29-23, 09:57 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Rims are an area I have had to spend money, but it's money well spent. I got a couple sets of Grand Bois back when RH was Compass - mount beautifully. (Jan doesn't sell rims that don't mount properly.) I got the early Pacenti SL-23's and they mount fine. My Velocity A23's mount fine too. I bought cheap rims once and moved them along (with full disclosure).
Old 03-29-23, 10:23 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

A23s have plenty of brake track for me but I have no issues with weinmann zac19s even. They are solid, fairly light and tires fit on them.
Old 04-24-23, 10:21 AM
seat_boy

Here’s my ‘84 Trek set up as a fixed gear with 38mm Pari Motos and those Sta Tru wheels.

Likes For seat_boy:
Old 04-24-23, 10:49 AM
pnwgopher

Bikes: Serotta Rapid Tour, 89 Paramount, AD Vent Noir, All-City Space Horse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 37 Posts
Here's the AD Vent Noir that I picked up from Bogester as a bare frameset a few months ago. Really happy with how it turned out.
Old 04-24-23, 11:16 AM
ehcoplex 

Originally Posted by pnwgopher
Here's the AD Vent Noir that I picked up from Bogester as a bare frameset a few months ago. Really happy with how it turned out.
Wow, that's some smoked-chrome goodness there. A Vent-Noir is one of my grail bikes... Is there clearance for fenders?
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 04-24-23, 11:42 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I don't know if I'd posted any of these earlier, but various 650b projects I dabbled with over the years.

Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 04-24-23, 11:50 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I don't know if I'd posted any of these earlier, but various 650b projects I dabbled with over the years.

Those blue fenders rock!
Old 04-24-23, 01:09 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

I think I posted this before but I dug it out today for a brief lunch ride and since I've gotten rid of a couple of lesser bikes it needed riding.
An early 70s Raleigh professional that when I found it was a fixie. Fortunately it hadn't had the derailleur hanger removed. All I got was frameset, wrong crank, headset, seatpost and seat. The rest was up to me. My first move was 700c but tire clearance is tight as this bike was made for sewups, but on the upside it had fender eyelets. I love full 531 frames and the somewhat quick handling geometry of the professional is all the better to me when sitting upright with porteur bars, so I put a set of zac19s I had previously built up on it with tektro 559s. The setup was extremely easy and good clearance for 38s. Fenders are steel so not super light but the bike is still pretty light. Dynamo, lights and velo orange rack finish it off.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 04-24-23, 04:24 PM
greatbasin

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by smurfy
Any 650B enthusiasts out there?

With the cult popularity of the Rivendell Saluki/Glorius and the old French 650B wheel size promoted by Grant Peterson there has been a tiny movement to covert some older road bikes to this wheel size.
Never heard of him.
The obvious advantages are the fitting of a fatter tire for a more comfortable ride and a more useful bike for commuting and touring (and arguably better looks).
27x1-1/4 are comfortable already. It's not like anyone is still riding on bone shakers. Even the racers are riding on 32's again.
More info and pics of some cool conversions available here at https://www.freewebs.com/650b.

650B rocks! However I have doubts that this thread will be very popular.

Here are my pics of my '88 Schwinn Le Tour 650B that is also a three-speed conversion:
I have an '87 Traveler. Again, with the 1-1/4 Marathons it doesn't really need 650B. It might be a sensible conversion for a bike that originally came with tubulars or very narrow clincher rims but most of those won't fit fat tires within the seat stays or fork.
Old 04-24-23, 04:52 PM
pnwgopher

Bikes: Serotta Rapid Tour, 89 Paramount, AD Vent Noir, All-City Space Horse

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Wow, that's some smoked-chrome goodness there. A Vent-Noir is one of my grail bikes... Is there clearance for fenders?
Thanks! With 38s fenders would be easy, but with 42s (pictured) it'd be pretty tight at the fork blades and chainstays. But I saw that you managed to get fenders + 42s on a trek 400 (which I couldn't do), so I wouldn't put it past you.
Likes For pnwgopher:
Old 04-24-23, 07:08 PM
beicster 

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I think I posted this before but I dug it out today for a brief lunch ride and since I've gotten rid of a couple of lesser bikes it needed riding.
An early 70s Raleigh professional that when I found it was a fixie. Fortunately it hadn't had the derailleur hanger removed. All I got was frameset, wrong crank, headset, seatpost and seat. The rest was up to me. My first move was 700c but tire clearance is tight as this bike was made for sewups, but on the upside it had fender eyelets. I love full 531 frames and the somewhat quick handling geometry of the professional is all the better to me when sitting upright with porteur bars, so I put a set of zac19s I had previously built up on it with tektro 559s. The setup was extremely easy and good clearance for 38s. Fenders are steel so not super light but the bike is still pretty light. Dynamo, lights and velo orange rack finish it off.
What bag is that on the back?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.