Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Storm damage thread (closed/damaged roads)

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-23, 07:54 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts

I thought I'd start a thread where we can post all of the storm damaged/closed roads since a lot of us are out there first hand. I'm sure there were plenty of people who made it to Diablo on NYD only to be surprised the roads were closed. There are already a large number of closed roads, including major washouts. So for anyone in the NorCal area, let's hear what you know!

Diablo NG is closed "until it can be repaired". Don't know the extent, but if they are going to have to repair it before reopening, this will almost certainly be several weeks, if not months.

Redwood Rd is gone...based on the last slide they had, this could literally be a year or more until it's reopened. Based on this slide, it could be a very expensive and involved repair.

The only other things I've seen so far are closures due to mud and rock debris, nothing major like these two.
Likes For cthenn:
Old 01-02-23, 07:59 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Here is a map of all the currently closed roads. Also, Highland Rd is closed due to rock and mudslides. Based on what's coming, by the end of the weekend, I'm sure this will expanding by a big margin.
Old 01-09-23, 06:22 PM
betabob

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for the updates. Does anyone know if Redwood Rd. from Skyline to Pinehurst is still bike accessible despite the closure, as well as the closed section of Pinehurst?
Old 01-09-23, 06:23 PM
betabob

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
I thought I'd start a thread where we can post all of the storm damaged/closed roads since a lot of us are out there first hand. I'm sure there were plenty of people who made it to Diablo on NYD only to be surprised the roads were closed. There are already a large number of closed roads, including major washouts. So for anyone in the NorCal area, let's hear what you know!

Diablo NG is closed "until it can be repaired". Don't know the extent, but if they are going to have to repair it before reopening, this will almost certainly be several weeks, if not months.

Redwood Rd is gone...based on the last slide they had, this could literally be a year or more until it's reopened. Based on this slide, it could be a very expensive and involved repair.

The only other things I've seen so far are closures due to mud and rock debris, nothing major like these two.

Is this section of Redwood bike accessible at all? Looks a bit worse than the section that caved in a few years back…
Old 01-10-23, 08:10 AM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Foothill Rd and Pleasanton-Sunol road close and reopen off and on.

Southbound P-S is currently closed (flooding)
Northbound Foothill is currently closed ( washout is about a foot or 2 from road now)
Calaveras is closed from Scott Creek Road which makes the above 2 roads less important to me.
Old 01-10-23, 11:06 AM
cthenn

Re: Redwood in Castro Valley, the road is absolutely closed, I wouldn't try it. Maybe in summer when Alameda County is dragging its feet before repairing it, you might be able to sneak around barriers, but right now, it's a fresh washout, I'm sure they are being much more vigilant about making sure people don't go through. During the previous road closure, I was able to ride the closed road during summer, again, probably because it was just sitting at that point, waiting for funding to repair it.
Old 01-10-23, 02:55 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Alert: EB YGNACIO VALLEY BETWEEN HOMESTEAD TO SAN CARLOS SHUT DOWN DUE TO DOWNED POWER LINES AND TREES, UNK ETA TO REOPEN

YVR... not a cycling route, but couldn't ask for a better traffic nightmare.
Old 01-10-23, 06:59 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
A lot of that YVR traffic got diverted onto my street ( Walnut Blvd) and really messed it up. There was a short break in the rain and I thought I’d go out for a ride but when I looked out the window the street was jammed. I suppose all the clones were following whatever route that Google had plotted for them. God, I hate google.
Old 01-10-23, 08:49 PM
shrimp123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
Calaveras is closed from Scott Creek Road which makes the above 2 roads less important to me.
did you mean Welch Creek rd? i dont remember Scott Creek Rd intersecting Calaveras.....
Old 01-10-23, 08:53 PM
spdntrxi

Originally Posted by shrimp123
did you mean Welch Creek rd? i dont remember Scott Creek Rd intersecting Calaveras.....
yes welch..
Old 01-11-23, 05:40 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Here's a link to the Alameda County road closures list. If you click on the name of the road in the list, a map will pop up showing exactly where the closures begin and end. It's a good resource and I bet they will keep it updated.

I have not been able to find anything like this for CoCo County.
Old 01-12-23, 07:53 PM
betabob

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
So, I ended up riding down Redwood Road from Skyline today, and also up Pinehurst. The good news is that despite both roads being officially closed, they definitely are rideable. Redwood still has pools of water streaming across the road as well as plenty of mud, so you'll need to be careful if you're going down. There are also a few mudslides that need to be cleaned up before the road can officially reopen. I ran into an EBRPD crew working on one of the mudslides, and they didn't seem to have any problems with my riding down a technically closed road, but YMMV. Pinehurst is in much better shape, mostly dry and just a couple of small mudslides. I'd imagine that both roads will be reopened to traffic fairly soon.
Likes For betabob:
Old 01-12-23, 08:32 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
This link appears to be the best update info for Marin County. Still nothing comparable for Contra Costa that I can find.
Old 01-12-23, 09:16 PM
cthenn

Here's the one for CCCo:
https://www.contracosta.ca.gov/Civic....aspx?AID=2811
Old 01-12-23, 09:19 PM
cthenn

Originally Posted by betabob
So, I ended up riding down Redwood Road from Skyline today, and also up Pinehurst. The good news is that despite both roads being officially closed, they definitely are rideable. Redwood still has pools of water streaming across the road as well as plenty of mud, so you'll need to be careful if you're going down. There are also a few mudslides that need to be cleaned up before the road can officially reopen. I ran into an EBRPD crew working on one of the mudslides, and they didn't seem to have any problems with my riding down a technically closed road, but YMMV. Pinehurst is in much better shape, mostly dry and just a couple of small mudslides. I'd imagine that both roads will be reopened to traffic fairly soon.
Both roads? As in Redwood? I highly doubt that. But it's good to know the barriers aren't too hard to get around with a bike!
Old 01-12-23, 09:23 PM
cthenn

South Gate Rd on Diablo is open again, it looks like there is a new washout/one lane section just above the kiosk, and before Rock City. The one on NG has been one lane for years and years, I hope that's not the case on the south side, it's a lot more congested!
Old 01-13-23, 01:21 AM
betabob

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Both roads? As in Redwood? I highly doubt that. But it's good to know the barriers aren't too hard to get around with a bike!
Redwood between Skykine and Pinehurst. No real barriers to speak of, just the usual “road closed” street signage.
Old 01-13-23, 08:32 PM
cthenn

Originally Posted by betabob
Redwood between Skykine and Pinehurst. No real barriers to speak of, just the usual “road closed” street signage.
ohhhhhh ok I misread what you wrote in your last comment. Between Skyline and Pinehurst...I was thinking the big washout closer to Castro Valley. I didn't even know this other portion was closed!
Old 01-14-23, 06:00 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3425 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Stage Road between San Gregorio and Pescadero is closed in both directions.

From the looks of it, getting it opened again will take some time.

Old 01-14-23, 08:19 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

South Gate Rd on Diablo is open again, it looks like there is a new washout/one lane section just above the kiosk, and before Rock City. The one on NG has been one lane for years and years, I hope that's not the case on the south side, it's a lot more congested!
I haven't seen this yet since the storms, but it's gotta be worse.
I heard one reason it hasn't been repaired is a group of activist hikers who don't like the looks of the retaining wall the Park built on the washout just above here... years earlier.

Old 01-15-23, 04:33 PM
spdntrxi

Niles Cyn closed again and Calaveras @ welch closed too.
Old 01-16-23, 09:52 PM
cthenn

Diablo closed again today. SG road is suffering big time (from the payment kiosk to Rock City) from these storms, the latest post from MDSP shows more of the road washing out, and a very large landslide on the road. This is on top of the washout from the NYE storm. What a mess!
Old 01-16-23, 09:56 PM
cthenn

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I haven't seen this yet since the storms, but it's gotta be worse.
I heard one reason it hasn't been repaired is a group of activist hikers who don't like the looks of the retaining wall the Park built on the washout just above here... years earlier.
Why would they have any more say in the repair vs safety of road users including motorists and bicyclists?
Old 01-17-23, 01:20 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Why would they have any more say in the repair vs safety of road users including motorists and bicyclists?
Better organized and better connected politically... if it's even true.
Old 01-18-23, 01:39 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Bull Creek Flat Rd., that provides access to Petrolia and Honeydew, is slightly closed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.