Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's a good Tire Pressure for a Road Bike for sport riding?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's a good Tire Pressure for a Road Bike for sport riding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-23, 11:13 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Riding every day means a tire loses less air than if you go a few days between rides? Please explain how that works.
I think it's a quantum mechanics thing ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-22-23, 12:43 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think it's a quantum mechanics thing ...
A bit like not being able to measure your last tyre pressure without affecting it.
Old 03-22-23, 01:43 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Me too, although I remember 110-120 psi being recommended. Roughly twice what I run with modern 30C GP5000S TR on my endurance bikes. Max allowed pressure is 73 psi on those.
Ah yes, did it too. Part of the rationale of inflating to the max sidewall pressure was to reduce the likelihood of flat tires, because as we all ‘know’, glass will not imbed itself as readily into a hard surface. that reasoning proved spurious considering the countless flats fixed in my cycling life. (Ah, but what about the flats you never got because of it says, WWBHDD?) The other spurious thought was that the higher the pressure the less the rolling resistance because the contact patch was minimized, especially on my 700/23s.

Now on my tubeless 28s its 68-70lbs and on my tubed 700/25 its 82/85lbs. Certainly is a lot more comfortable and am able to maintain within 1 mph my average speeds when I was in my 40s riding 5000 miles/year - but I do that same amount now too.

I could care less if people use a tire calculator (I use the Silca one) or not. What they want to do or not do, or maintain or whatever, has no bearing on me and my enjoyment. I just like to minimize effort so I can either ride further or faster or both. As has been made painfully clear on BF, that is not many peoples objective, and so be it.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-22-23, 01:55 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
The issue is that to truly make an online calculator you need to add stat weights that depend on the changing conditions. For instance, if its horribly rainy or if it is icy, almost every online calculator will overestimate the pressure very badly. Its easier to "misuse" an online calculator than one might initially suspect. When I used to have to ride in the sleet, id take my mtb tires that I normally pump to like 60-80 and take most of the air out, probably run like 20 if that. These numbers are estimates because as has been pointed out in this thread gauges can be deceiving, a ballpark of +-15% of your target is almost always adequate and easily detectible by hand. I'm not taking out air and then rechecking the pressure with a gauge lol, nobody did that.Trying to put that in an equation is difficult.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 03-22-23 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-22-23, 02:06 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
The issue is that to truly make an online calculator you need to add stat weights that depend on the changing conditions. For instance, if its horribly rainy or if it is icy, almost every online calculator will overestimate the pressure very badly. Its easier to "misuse" an online calculator than one might initially suspect. When I used to have to ride in the sleet, id take my mtb tires that I normally pump to like 60-80 and take most of the air out, probably run like 20 if that. These numbers are estimates because as has been pointed out in this thread gauges can be deceiving, a ballpark of +-15% of your target is almost always adequate and easily detectible by hand. I'm not taking out air and then rechecking the pressure with a gauge lol, nobody did that.Trying to put that in an equation is difficult.
I think even the most "misused", poorly written online calculator wouldn't tell you to run MTB tires at 80 psi.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-22-23, 02:22 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Best to check the tire charts as the PSI depends on the weight of the rider and the volume of the tires. A 240 lb rider needs a higher PSI than a 140 lb rider. A 1.95 x 29 clincher tire can run at half the PSI of a 19mm tubular tire with the same rider weight.

My wife and I ride road bikes, road e-bikes, and mountain bikes and so I have 6 different PSI that I use. I made a chart and taped it to my high and low pressure bike hand pumps for fast reference.
Old 03-22-23, 02:24 PM
PeteHski

I think even the most "misused", poorly written online calculator wouldn't tell you to run MTB tires at 80 psi.
Or reduce by 60 psi for wet conditions.
Old 03-22-23, 03:12 PM
LarrySellerz

Don't get hung up on the numbers, divide by 3 would be better, but my point is that very wet conditions require enormously lower PSI, to the point in which trying to rely on an equation for all conditions is impossible. Using a calculator allows for more user error; any talk of calculators for OP is missing the forrest for the trees because he mentioned he rides in terrible conditions in his first post.
Old 03-22-23, 03:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
How did we ever function without on-line tire-pressure calculators?
With hard riding tires and excessive rolling resistance.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-22-23, 03:34 PM
tomato coupe

Don't get hung up on the numbers, divide by 3 would be better ...
3 is still a number.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 03-22-23 at 03:45 PM.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-22-23, 03:46 PM
PeteHski

Don't get hung up on the numbers, divide by 3 would be better, but my point is that very wet conditions require enormously lower PSI, to the point in which trying to rely on an equation for all conditions is impossible. Using a calculator allows for more user error; any talk of calculators for OP is missing the forrest for the trees because he mentioned he rides in terrible conditions in his first post.
I don't require enormously lower pressure when riding in very wet conditions. I might drop 5 psi if I know it's going to be very wet before I start, but I've ridden some hard rides with very technical descents in rain storms without an issue at normal pressure. But then my normal pressures are not as high as yours. Dividing my pressure by 3 is just complete garbage IMO. But thanks for the tip.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-22-23, 03:47 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3490 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
With hard riding tires and excessive rolling resistance.
Honestly, I wonder if anyone has done a study comparing the rolling resistance of 23 mm tires at 140 psi vs. 38 mm tires at 60 psi?
Old 03-22-23, 03:52 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
3 is still a number.
One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
Two can be as bad as one
Three is just something in my wildest dreams

Old 03-22-23, 03:59 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,057 Times in 3,809 Posts
...my point is that very wet conditions require enormously lower PSI....
They do? I haven't found that to be the case. Also, enormously lower pressures increase the chance of pinch-flatting, burping (if tubeless), and/or rim damage, and having to fix a flat in the rain is not something I really want to increase the odds of happening. Having to walk because of a busted rim - no thanks. I prefer to keep my tires at the same pressure, and just be a little more cautious when I need to be. All that said, I don't like riding in the rain, and try to avoid it.
Old 03-22-23, 04:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by smd4
Honestly, I wonder if anyone has done a study comparing the rolling resistance of 23 mm tires at 140 psi vs. 38 mm tires at 60 psi?
Yes, they have, or at least close to it. This has been done repeatedly by a variety of different testers.

Again, you can ride what you like, but I remember you saying you prefer to FEEL fast like you do on 140 psi to actually BEING fast at lower pressures. To me, this means your mind misinterprets the sensations you feel through the bike, so that when you hit a bump or rough pavement, feeling each little bump is interpreted as your rock-hard tires trading comfort for efficiency, when the reality is you're giving up both. Obviously, there's a point in the rolling resistance vs. tire pressure curve where decreasing pressure increases rolling resistance, but the same is true for INCREASING pressure. The curve is a V, not a simple negative correlation.

EDIT: the optimum pressure for lowest rolling resistance varies with how rough the road surface is, which is why 1) drum testing doesn't reveal this, and 2) track riders still ride really high pressures.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-22-23, 04:24 PM
LarrySellerz

I was talking about literally sleet and snow/wet ice on the roads, which i was assuming is what OP faces in the PNW winter. I should have clarified that because the psi needed for that and just "very wet" rainy days is dramatically different. My bad
Old 03-22-23, 04:45 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

...the optimum pressure for lowest rolling resistance varies with how rough the road surface is, which is why 1) drum testing doesn't reveal this, and 2) track riders still ride really high pressures.
In my understanding, this is accurate. Rolling resistance is only one factor in the story of how efficiently a tire gets down the road. Aerodynamics play a part (in conjunction with the rim). Hysteresis loss plays a part. Vibration and vertical deflection losses play a part. The best tire and pressure choice finds the balance that minimizes all of them as much as possible. When you get outside that balance point, minimizing one factor increases another, and the overall result is diminished.
Old 03-22-23, 04:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

In my understanding, this is accurate. Rolling resistance is only one factor in the story of how efficiently a tire gets down the road. Aerodynamics play a part (in conjunction with the rim). Hysteresis loss plays a part. Vibration and vertical deflection losses play a part. The best tire and pressure choice finds the balance that minimizes all of them as much as possible. When you get outside that balance point, minimizing one factor increases another, and the overall result is diminished.
With the exception of aerodynamics, those are all factors of rolling resistance.

Old 03-22-23, 05:00 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

With the exception of aerodynamics, those are all factors of rolling resistance.
Valid. Mentioning hysteresis separately was probably unnecessarily redundant in my comment. However, vibration and vertical deflection losses due to irregular surfaces don't show up on drum tests (as far as I'm aware). It seems to me that this is an area that tends to be ignored by the "harder is faster" folks, but plays role in picking the right tire and pressure, and is significant in why softer tires may be faster in many real-world conditions.
Old 03-22-23, 05:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Valid. Mentioning hysteresis separately was probably unnecessarily redundant in my comment. However, vibration and vertical deflection losses due to irregular surfaces don't show up on drum tests (as far as I'm aware). It seems to me that this is an area that tends to be ignored by the "harder is faster" folks, but plays role in picking the right tire and pressure, and is significant in why softer tires may be faster in many real-world conditions.
Right, but that's the difference between "drum" rolling resistance and "real world" rolling resistance.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-22-23, 05:25 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Bizarre tangent

FWIW, OP isn't asking about snow, sleet or ice. Says he rides trails when the roads are worse than rainy. For rain, conventional wisdom is to reduce pressure 10%-20% but I don't know that there is actual evidence that it matters.
Old 03-23-23, 04:09 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
FWIW, OP isn't asking about snow, sleet or ice. Says he rides trails when the roads are worse than rainy. For rain, conventional wisdom is to reduce pressure 10%-20% but I don't know that there is actual evidence that it matters.
FWIW Pirelli advise simply reducing by 5 psi for wet conditions. Zipp calculator suggests similar (6 psi for my weight). They don't advise for snow/ice. If I was riding regularly in those conditions I would change to some more appropriate tyres anyway.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-23-23, 04:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
3 is still a number.
It’s a magic number.

Old 03-23-23, 06:07 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
FWIW Pirelli advise simply reducing by 5 psi for wet conditions. Zipp calculator suggests similar (6 psi for my weight). They don't advise for snow/ice. If I was riding regularly in those conditions I would change to some more appropriate tyres anyway.
Yes, just trying to redirect from the tangent The Larry went off on after his "enormously" reduce pressure in the wet silliness.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 03-23-23 at 06:10 AM.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-23-23, 06:29 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3490 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,766 Posts
Yes, they have, or at least close to it.
So that's a "no."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.