Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which road bike should I buy? Trek, Giant

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-23, 10:13 AM
tti1422

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello,

I have had the 2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2 for over 5 years. I just do some recreational biking around the city pathways, some small mountains, but not professional level. Just for the records, since 2015 or 2016 my app shows i have done 5500km, so not a lot I think. I just realized that my bike a little too big for me, I have a Medium size and I need a Small.

I wanted to sell mine and buy a used one, similar components, but just a smaller size. I stopped a 2 bikes I found for sale:

- 2013 Trek Domane 4.3 WSD: LIKE NEW condition, they didn't ride it
- 2011 Giant Defy Advanced 1: Looks good condition, I still have to check

I haven't seen in person any of the bikes, but planning on going this week. Would you pick one over the other and why? Is it ok to buy like a 10 year old bike with good maintanence or like new? Or maybe check newer bikes +2018 or so. I see nowadays they make with disc brakes, mine doesn't and I'm ok with that. Anything else to consider?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-21-23, 11:41 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 846 Times in 410 Posts
First, it's all about your budget. If that element is OK, the next stop is "bike fit." Generally, you want to see a used bike in person, so take your tools (or your friend w/ tools), adjust the seat properly, and give the bike a spin. Simply based on comfort, you'll know if this is your bike or not. If you can't do this, you either have the knowledge to assess from afar, or this is not the right purchase for you. Either of the bikes you mention are fine bikes. You don't need disc brakes, they have benefits, but you probably don't care. Again, I would choose the bike that feels better to ride.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 03-21-23, 11:47 AM
tti1422

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
First, it's all about your budget. If that element is OK, the next stop is "bike fit." Generally, you want to see a used bike in person, so take your tools (or your friend w/ tools), adjust the seat properly, and give the bike a spin. Simply based on comfort, you'll know if this is your bike or not. If you can't do this, you either have the knowledge to assess from afar, or this is not the right purchase for you. Either of the bikes you mention are fine bikes. You don't need disc brakes, they have benefits, but you probably don't care. Again, I would choose the bike that feels better to ride.
Thanks for your reply, both bikes are about the same price used within my budget. I'm planning to see them but they are located a little bit further than where I live and both in opposite directions. I wouldn't buy without testing them. Thanks for your input
Old 03-21-23, 08:05 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Have you had a professional bike fitting using Retul or something of that caliber? Possible that you could fix some of your fit issues with a new set of bars and\or a shorter stem? Assuming the size could be a reach issue, but I had a bike I thought was too large for me, and then I replaced the stem and got a set of compact bars that reduced the reach by 2cm and it made a world of difference. I put almost 10K miles on that bike after that before I sold it. All total, the cost between the fitting, bars and stem, was less than $400. I really like the bike, so did what I could to make it fit, before I went down the replacement mode.

Just something to think about.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 03-21-23 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-22-23, 04:25 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Good suggestion about bike fit above. Most people can be fitted across at least 2 different frame sizes and it sounds like it's only a little too big.

Also any reason why you are looking at endurance road bikes vs your more race focused Propel? Are you looking for a little more ride comfort and/or more relaxed geometry?

For the same price I would take an unridden like new 2013 Domane over a 2011 Defy with some wear and tear. That's assuming you like the fit. They are pretty similar bikes overall.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-22-23, 05:36 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Also, I did not pick up on this before, the Domane is a WSD model, which being women's specific, besides just colors, had shorter crankarms, stems and narrower handlebars based on the specific size of the bike. There was a you woman we used to ride with that had a Trek Silque SL or whatever the variant was, basically an Emonda, but I think was 45 cm, but everything was smaller which worked for her as she would need a ladder to be 5 ft. It was always comical as her husband was a giant at 6' 8" and had a custom made bike. His nick name was jolly as in Jolly Green Giant.

Old 03-22-23, 06:08 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
[QUOTE=jaxgtr;22836720]Also, I did not pick up on this before, the Domane is a WSD model, which being women's specific, besides just colors, had shorter crankarms, stems and narrower handlebars based on the specific size of the bike. There was a you woman we used to ride with that had a Trek Silque SL or whatever the variant was, basically an Emonda, but I think was 45 cm, but everything was smaller which worked for her as she would need a ladder to be 5 ft. It was always comical as her husband was a giant at 6' 8" and had a custom made bike. His nick name was jolly as in Jolly Green Giant.[/QUOTS

Don't know if you are female, or if the Domane is a "true WSD" model. A true WSD bike will have a shorter top tube and a longer seat tube than a bike designed for male anatomy. Even if not a "true WSD", it will likely have parts as mentioned above, and you may find yourself wanting to change out parts if you are male. Riding both to see which you like best would be ideal. Even a very high end bike isn't going to be best for a rider if it doesn't fit.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 03-24-23, 06:21 AM
RJC1811

Bikes: Giant Defy 1, Univega Viva Sport

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I own a Giant Defy 1, it’s the aluminum version, not sure if the advanced is carbon? It’s a great bike and I’m quite happy with it. The downsides are it’s on the heavy side compared to other bikes in its class. Not a huge amount but still there. Then the proprietary D shaped seat post is very limiting. The stock one that came on my bike had very crude adjustment. It would take me numerous tries to get it locked in even close to the angle I wanted. I upgraded to the carbon version (may be standard on the advanced?) and that has a far superior adjustment mech. No experience with the Trek.
Old 03-27-23, 03:09 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 643 Posts
None of both,get a Basso or a Daccordi if you want something of the highest craftsmanship Daccordi Noah Review
Likes For georges1:
Old 03-28-23, 09:40 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by georges1
None of both,get a Basso or a Daccordi if you want something of the highest craftsmanship Daccordi Noah Review

"The test bike had a non-integrated aero seatpost that took some fettling and over-torquing before it stopped slipping. The clamp is the external collar type with twin Allen bolts, which doesn’t work as well as the internal expanding wedge type in my experience. The seatpost needed slathering in Muc-Off carbon paste, cranking up beyond the recommended 5/6Nm and even then tightening a bit more at the roadside once it had settled"

That would be a hard no for me.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-28-23, 01:41 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Originally Posted by PeteHski
"The test bike had a non-integrated aero seatpost that took some fettling and over-torquing before it stopped slipping. The clamp is the external collar type with twin Allen bolts, which doesn’t work as well as the internal expanding wedge type in my experience. The seatpost needed slathering in Muc-Off carbon paste, cranking up beyond the recommended 5/6Nm and even then tightening a bit more at the roadside once it had settled"

That would be a hard no for me.
Daccordi are custom made bikes not mass produced bikes that is the difference.
Old 03-28-23, 02:41 PM
PeteHski

Daccordi are custom made bikes not mass produced bikes that is the difference.
Doesn't seem relevant to the bikes the OP was considering. It's a bit of a step from a 2011 Defy / 2013 Domane to a £10k+ custom bike.
Old 03-28-23, 04:03 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Take the one who's in the best shape. They're 10+ years old so be careful.
Old 03-28-23, 10:30 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
While I might just have an irrational bias, I never buy bikes from the big 3 names. Just don't like having one of a million. My bikes are Jamis, Felt, Litespeed, Lynskey, Kona and a vintage Italian Sannino. There's more to life than Trek and Giant and Specialized, although I think they are trying to overcome that with their marketing and sales channels. I did say this isn't necessarily rational. Except for the fact (in my experience) you often get a little more bike for the money if you expand your knowledge and searching beyond the big 3 or 4.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-29-23, 12:09 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Originally Posted by Camilo
While I might just have an irrational bias, I never buy bikes from the big 3 names. Just don't like having one of a million. My bikes are Jamis, Felt, Litespeed, Lynskey, Kona and a vintage Italian Sannino. There's more to life than Trek and Giant and Specialized, although I think they are trying to overcome that with their marketing and sales channels. I did say this isn't necessarily rational. Except for the fact (in my experience) you often get a little more bike for the money if you expand your knowledge and searching beyond the big 3 or 4.
One of my Mountain bike is a 1997 Kona Kilaeua with Reynolds 631 tubing one of the very best mountain bikes ever made, I also have a 1998 Jamis
Dragon with Reynolds 853 that is a MTB build. As for Italian bikes, I have Daccordi, Grandis, Vetta and Coppi frames (projects), two English bikes CT Wallis(project) and a Raleigh and one French bike a Peugeot. Other brands like Paletti, Basso, Bottechia, De Rosa, Gios Torino to name a few offer more than Specialized,Trek and Giant, especially with high end steel frames.
Likes For georges1:
Old 03-29-23, 03:45 AM
PeteHski

One of my Mountain bike is a 1997 Kona Kilaeua with Reynolds 631 tubing one of the very best mountain bikes ever made
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-30-23, 08:28 PM
tti1422

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Also, I did not pick up on this before, the Domane is a WSD model, which being women's specific, besides just colors, had shorter crankarms, stems and narrower handlebars based on the specific size of the bike. There was a you woman we used to ride with that had a Trek Silque SL or whatever the variant was, basically an Emonda, but I think was 45 cm, but everything was smaller which worked for her as she would need a ladder to be 5 ft. It was always comical as her husband was a giant at 6' 8" and had a custom made bike. His nick name was jolly as in Jolly Green Giant.
I'm female and I also read about the Silque, but unfortunatelly i haven't seen any for sale in my area and size I will keep an eye
Old 03-30-23, 08:30 PM
tti1422

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good suggestion about bike fit above. Most people can be fitted across at least 2 different frame sizes and it sounds like it's only a little too big.

Also any reason why you are looking at endurance road bikes vs your more race focused Propel? Are you looking for a little more ride comfort and/or more relaxed geometry?

For the same price I would take an unridden like new 2013 Domane over a 2011 Defy with some wear and tear. That's assuming you like the fit. They are pretty similar bikes overall.
I didn't want to do the fit or modify my bike. I sold it and will be looking at. The 2013 Domane is looking good. I've been busy and haven't been able actually to go check or buy any bike. I'm not race focused. I just like to go for bike rides, so probably more relaxed posture would be better. The reason why I had a Giant propel advanced is because I found a good deal on marketplace, but after the years i realized it was not my size.
Old 03-30-23, 08:32 PM
tti1422

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Camilo
That's a good point. I search on marketplace for used bikes in my size and I haven't come across lots, usually I see medium size, so 54 or 55 mostly. I'd be open to other brands as they mostly use Shimano components, right? I'm not a bike expert anyway
Old 03-31-23, 02:43 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by tti1422
I didn't want to do the fit or modify my bike. I sold it and will be looking at. The 2013 Domane is looking good. I've been busy and haven't been able actually to go check or buy any bike. I'm not race focused. I just like to go for bike rides, so probably more relaxed posture would be better. The reason why I had a Giant propel advanced is because I found a good deal on marketplace, but after the years i realized it was not my size.
A Domane sounds like a good match for what you describe.
Old 03-31-23, 09:07 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Don't know if you are female, or if the Domane is a "true WSD" model. A true WSD bike will have a shorter top tube and a longer seat tube than a bike designed for male anatomy. Even if not a "true WSD", it will likely have parts as mentioned above, and you may find yourself wanting to change out parts if you are male. Riding both to see which you like best would be ideal. Even a very high end bike isn't going to be best for a rider if it doesn't fit.
Does anyone know of a physical justification for these WSD geometry differences?

As far I have seen, male and female dimensions for a given height are identical. The US Army did a big study on body dimensions and came to that conclusion. Everything matched up, right down to finger length.

Old 03-31-23, 09:47 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Does anyone know of a physical justification for these WSD geometry differences?

As far I have seen, male and female dimensions for a given height are identical. The US Army did a big study on body dimensions and came to that conclusion. Everything matched up, right down to finger length.
Women's specific frame geometry has gone out of fashion in recent years. They are now mostly the same geometry, but with different contact points i.e. women's saddle, narrower bars etc. Sometimes they re-name frame sizes too e.g. men's "medium" becomes women's "large". Trek have abandoned their WSD line, at least with performance road bikes.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-02-23, 04:43 PM
tti1422

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A Domane sounds like a good match for what you describe.
Thanks for your help! I just bought the Domane 4.3 today. The bike it's been hardly ridden, very new
Likes For tti1422: