Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sun Rim M13II

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Sun Rim M13II

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-23, 10:25 PM
JochenRindt

Bikes: 1981 Motobecane Le Champion, 2002 LeMond Alp d'Huez, 1980 Peugeot PKN-10, 1982 Peugeot PSV-10, 1981 Austro Daimler Vent Noir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 23 Posts
Sun Rim M13II

I have a rear Sun Rim M13II that I bought new in 2005. It's difficult to remember exactly, but I am quite sure its mileage is less than 4k miles. It has a popped spoke. My question is- should I have the spoke replaced on an eighteen year old wheel or should I just buy a new Sun wheel?
Old 03-28-23, 10:36 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
Depends on a bunch of details.

Are you doing the work?
If paying, how much, vs. how much for a new wheel?
Is the rim OK, ie. little brake crack wear, no stress cracks at spoke holes, no dents, etc?

Comparable quality replacement wheel?

As a rule, I generally replace spokes, and think replacement after the third, or when the interval between spoke breaks becomes too short.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-28-23, 10:43 PM
JochenRindt

Bikes: 1981 Motobecane Le Champion, 2002 LeMond Alp d'Huez, 1980 Peugeot PKN-10, 1982 Peugeot PSV-10, 1981 Austro Daimler Vent Noir

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Depends on a bunch of details.

Are you doing the work?
If paying, how much, vs. how much for a new wheel?
Is the rim OK, ie. little brake crack wear, no stress cracks at spoke holes, no dents, etc?

Comparable quality replacement wheel?

As a rule, I generally replace spokes, and think replacement after the third, or when the interval between spoke breaks becomes too short.
No, I wouldn't be doing the work myself. The price for a new Wheel Master Sun Rim M13ii is $82. The old (2005) Sun Rim M13ii appears to be okay in terms of cracks/dents. My reasoning for buying a new one was just not to have to worry about some other problem developing with the old wheel.
Old 03-28-23, 11:01 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by JochenRindt
I have a rear Sun Rim M13II that I bought new in 2005...
Sounds like one of mine! I was really satisfied with my Sun Rim machine built wheel set. I don't remember if it was a Wheel Master or a ChiCom/Ebay purchase. After 8 years slowly spokes on the rear wheel were popping off at the neck. On close examination I found the spokes to be of a diameter closer to 15ga rather then the 14ga I expected. After popping four spokes I decided to just replace all the spokes with 14ga Sapim spokes. It was easy. It has been well worth saving the Sun Rims for sure...

Best supplier I have used recently: https://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/300.htm
Old 03-28-23, 11:43 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
No, I wouldn't be doing the work myself. The price for a new Wheel Master Sun Rim M13ii is $82. The old (2005) Sun Rim M13ii appears to be okay in terms of cracks/dents. My reasoning for buying a new one was just not to have to worry about some other problem developing with the old wheel.
Unless you have a specific reason to expect a problem, this is needless worry.

In any case it's a question of how much peace of mind is worth, so start by getting a quote for the repair.

I suspect that you'll be deciding whether it's worth a $50-60 difference, which IMO is too much. But it's not my bike.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-29-23, 01:33 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
I'd order 3 spokes of the correct length of the side that broke.
297mm for DS 298mm for NDS.
IF you use all 3, then consider a new wheel or buy the remaining spokes and swap one at a time.
Run spokes up to the 1st thread of a new nipple and then take the wheel to the shop for the final tensioning/truing if you aren't comfortable.
Use new nipples. It makes life considerably easier.
I used 14/15 DB on the DS rear and 15/16 DB on the rest. They do fit a bit sloppy in the 2.6mm holes, but I've used them over 10 years.

Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 03-30-23, 02:24 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
I have a rear Sun Rim M13II that I bought new in 2005. It's difficult to remember exactly, but I am quite sure its mileage is less than 4k miles. It has a popped spoke. My question is- should I have the spoke replaced on an eighteen year old wheel or should I just buy a new Sun wheel?
4K miles is less than half a year for me, and my current wheels have nearly 75K miles on them so I really can't relate to your question. As to a single broken spoke, replace it, turn up the tension so it roughly matches the rest of the spokesand I bet the wheel will be very close to round and true. $80 or a $2 repair? I don't think so.
Old 03-30-23, 02:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Where I work that spoke replacement would cost just under $40. About half of the complete replacement wheel. So for those added $42 above a repair one gets unworn bearings, all fresh spokes and often better spoke tension consistency. But if one did replace the complete wheel the old wheel can become the back up wheel and/or the one that you learn how to do this stuff on your own. The value of that education is, IMO, worth far more than the mere $42.

But before deciding I would want to check out the bearing condition. If the cones were pitted I would side on the replacement wheel choice. If this hub is a freehub design then those bearings should also be part of the consideration. Andy
Old 03-30-23, 02:42 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,818 Times in 1,539 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I'd order 3 spokes of the correct length of the side that broke.
297mm for DS 298mm for NDS.
IF you use all 3, then consider a new wheel or buy the remaining spokes and swap one at a time.
Run spokes up to the 1st thread of a new nipple and then take the wheel to the shop for the final tensioning/truing if you aren't comfortable.
Use new nipples. It makes life considerably easier.
I used 14/15 DB on the DS rear and 15/16 DB on the rest. They do fit a bit sloppy in the 2.6mm holes, but I've used them over 10 years.
er.... AFAIK spoke length will depend on the specific hub

Old 03-30-23, 02:54 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Originally Posted by squirtdad
er.... AFAIK spoke length will depend on the specific hub
True Little Beaver. What is so different about the OP's hub and MY hub?
So, what spoke length would you guess?
Old 03-30-23, 03:08 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,818 Times in 1,539 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
True Little Beaver. What is so different about the OP's hub and MY hub?
So, what spoke length would you guess?
I don't know what hub OP has as all that has been specified was the rim, so I couldn't guess on the difference between your hub and OP's if i had the hub info I would use one of the calculators to get spoke info

I have built enough wheels, and have seen spoke length vary between different hubs

Little Beaver out Big Chief

Last edited by squirtdad; 03-30-23 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-30-23, 04:22 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
a new replacement rim, unlaced, runs 40 to 70 bucks on Ebay... Black rims are about $10 cheaper than Alu finishes.

spokes are under $2 each.

the spoke length change from a low flange hub to a high flange hub is about 1mm.
spokes are sold, pre-cut, in TWO millimeter increments.
how far is it to your nearest spoke cutting equipped shop?

i'll assume that a drive side spoke popped.
you'll need a cassette removal socket to access the broken spoke hole.. $15.
get a couple spokes of each length Bill listed...

Or let a shop deal with it .They can quickly determine the condition of your rim...

your choices.
Old 03-30-23, 05:22 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by squirtdad
I don't know what hub OP has as all that has been specified was the rim, so I couldn't guess on the difference between your hub and OP's if i had the hub info I would use one of the calculators to get spoke info

I have built enough wheels, and have seen spoke length vary between different hubs

Little Beaver out Big Chief
The difference in spoke length caused by the vast majority of rear hubs is insignificant. Just pick a bunch of different rear hubs from the era of the OP's bike and run the numbers in your spoke calculator.
His hub would have to deviate considerably from the norm for the lengths I quoted to NOT WORK well.
Likes For Bill Kapaun: