Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Park & Pedal experiment, Middlesex County, MA

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 05-16-20, 07:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts

hope no one minds that I use this space to plot a course & keep some deets handy. this lot 13.2 miles from home, will cut the work commute ride from 22 miles to just 9. that sounds good, but not sure it makes sense cuz I'll have to sit in my car, in traffic, to get to this lot

there is no sign YET, but Park & Pedal-ers can use the Middlesex Community College Overflow lot on Springs Road adjacent to the VA Hospital (which is adjacent to the Narrow Guage Trail) & not on the college campus!

281 Springs Rd Bedford, MA (42.50938811306762, -71.27428840742651)

if I drive there & then take Springs rd North it will take me to my usual route on North Rd / Concord Rd

here's the switcheroo, don't take my usual left at 4/225, stay on 62 east & take a left on Springs Rd. wonder how long it will take to drive there in morning rush hour traffic

& coming back, I'll have to remember not to blow by this left onto Springs Rd

should be interesting taking that lane! yikes! it's a fast moving rd & drivers are never too courteous on that stretch

gotta keep my eyes peeled for these signs (thank you Google)

reference links
https://www.bedfordma.gov/healthy-be...-pedal-program
https://www.parkandpedal.org/

not a good map campus parking map
https://www.middlesex.mass.edu/trans.../bparkmap.aspx

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-16-20 at 04:46 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-17-20, 01:22 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

OK so that was interesting. definitely less riding. this cuts out 26 miles from a 44 mile round trip ride. of course it's gonna be easier. but what else is a benefit? time?
I compared milestones with my summer commutes to compare door to door time.
it saves 25-30min, one way
if I only do it once a week is it worth it?
if it makes me do it more often, it might be worth using

I would like to live on Springs Rd. it's a fun roller coaster on a bike

10:50am left house, 59 degrees
11:19am at lot
12:10 at office, 9.19 miles, 33 mph max, 14.4 avrg, 38min in saddle
DOOR TO DOOR 1hr 20min (25-30min quicker than biking the whole thing, driving w, no commuter traffic)
12:26 left office
1:11pm back at lot & car, 18.42 miles, 33 mph max, 13.2 avrg, 1:23 in saddle
2pm home w, a stop for a drive thru lunch

when I started in the lot, I realized I forgot my pump at home. I had some co2 & inflator so no worries. I just like redundancy

this is the lot. note parked busses on far side, which is adjacent to the Narrow Gauge Rail Trail

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-17-20 at 03:35 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-17-20, 01:38 PM
rumrunn6

Biking the whole way to office
- 6/28/19 5:30 am left home 7:11 am at work 1hr 45min door-to-door
Park & Pedal route
- 5/17/20 (1hr 20min door to door) saves me 25 minutes, but today, I had no traffic. with rush hour, I'll bet it's a wash
-------------
Biking the whole way home
- 6/14/19 4:40 pm left work, 6:40 pm home 2 hrs door to door (incl. a pit stop 1/2 way incl a snickers bar)
- 6/28/19 3:40 pm left office 5:40 pm home 2 hrs door-to-door
Park & Pedal route in reverse
- 5/17/20 2:26pm left office 2pm home approx 1hr 30min door to door (but this was w/ no traffic)

traffic can easily add 15 min so then time isn’t the advantage. riding less is. but who wants to ride less

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-17-20 at 07:30 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-19-20, 07:35 PM
rumrunn6

one thing I like about this approach, is that I get to keep this hill on my ride

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-21-20, 08:23 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
hope no one minds that I use this space to plot a course & keep some deets handy. this lot 13.2 miles from home, will cut the work commute ride from 22 miles to just 9. that sounds good, but not sure it makes sense cuz I'll have to sit in my car, in traffic, to get to this lot…
This, like many route maps of regions I don’t know well as described in the Metro Boston thread appears confusing. During the years I was exploring my various commuting and training routes, mostly West and South of Boston I would invariably get lost, and often allow extra time to recover.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have on occasion had nightmares about ABSOLUTELY needing to be at work at 7:30 AM, and being nowhere near there.

Rarely in reality I have found myself in that situation, but had more leeway than in my nightmares....

Once, I got in late for a conference because I was on a new route and got lost. When I realized that, I called a cab to take me and the bike in, about 20 minutes late, but "no harm, no foul."
I have previously posted on my informal Cycling Guide to Metro Boston:
…For some generalities, my favorite map is the AAA road map of metropolitan Boston [and other cities]. The size is large enough to plan century rides, yet the scale is small enough to find excellent cycling roads nicely defined by the road color and weight of the line…

Even though I've lived here for over 30 years, I always get lost on a new ride. Streets are laid out in a haphazard fashion; many streets, particularly the one you are riding on are not marked; they surreptiously change names; and in rotary intersections it's easy to lose your sense of direction. (I don't have a GPS.).
I grew up in Detroit, MI where the the streets are in a grid pattern, extend for long distances and are well-marked. Boston is entirely different.

Besides a crazy pattern of roads originating as cowpaths, roads changing names at seeming random points, and not marked anyways, there are also rotaries which mix up your sense of direction. So really one has to become visually acquainted with routes to follow them.

Every time I try to find a new route, I inevitably get lost. Nonetheless, I really enjoy cycling in Boston and environs because it is such an interesting city. After many years here I have rambled and learned most of the region, but it's still interesting to get lost, discover some new road, and add that to my mental map.
Originally Posted by Lizzylou
I look at getting lost as a way to learn new routes. You pay attention to the landmarks more when you don't know where you are, so you are more likely to remember the roads and such for the next time.
One benefit of cycling around Boston and knowing the back roads, is that occasionally when driving on a freeway if I encounter a traffic jam, I know how to get off and bypass the jam on the local surface roads, while the unaware drivers sit it out.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-21-20 at 08:52 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 05-21-20, 09:01 AM
rumrunn6

routes & maps
took me a long time to memorize my 22 mile work commute route. plotted in google, strapped a car gps to my bars, got lost a cpl times, had a flat once. started driving it in both directions instead of my usual highway route. rode it several times on quiet Sundays

1st time on a work day was exciting. I allowed way too much time. I still do actually, cuz I like getting there before anyone else

re: maps, I agree w/ AAA. last year on vacation, on the cape, I was frustrated by all the lame tourism maps. couldn't find a decent map anywhere, but lucked out & went into a AAA office! they had a wonderful Cape road map, just like the old days. gonna miss those when they are gone for good

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-27-22 at 02:25 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-14-22, 09:07 AM
rumrunn6

wondering if I should revisit this idea
Likes For rumrunn6: