Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do consumer grade Walmart bikes need disc brakes?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-03-21, 07:10 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts

Let's agree that people riding $2000 bikes are the small elite segment of serious bike market compared to the millions of bikes sold at Walmart.
What is the state of basic consumer bikes? Do most still have traditional rim pad brake? Do you think consumer grade Walmart bikes need disc brakes? Or is that overkill and traditional 100 year old brake system is more Cost effective and fine for casual bikers and will be for a long time?.
Likes For CheGiantForLife:
Old 05-03-21, 07:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-03-21, 07:20 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yup!

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Let's agree that people riding $2000 bikes are the small elite segment of serious bike market compared to the millions of bikes sold at Walmart.
What is the state of basic consumer bikes? Do most still have traditional rim pad brake? Do you think consumer grade Walmart bikes need disc brakes? Or is that overkill and traditional 100 year old brake system is more Cost effective and fine for casual bikers and will be for a long time?.
OK, to the first statement, I definitely agree.
What's the state of basic consumer bikes? If by basic consumer bikes you mean the ones sold at Walmart, then the state is poor.

So do Walmart bikes need disc brakes? My answer is No, it's overkill and the production cost should be spent elsewhere, like making sure the bike actually functions properly and can be adjusted effectively. Rim brakes will be easier and cheaper to maintain and adjust for most riders of Walmart bikes.

The only reason Walmart bikes would need disc brakes is if people are actually using them in conditions which benefit from disc brake use; some amusing Youtube videos aside, I don't think many people are using them much for actual downhill MTB trails or fast road descents, or at high speed in the rain. [I may be missing other scenarios when discs are super beneficial, but I think the point stands.]
Old 05-03-21, 07:28 AM
indyfabz

If riding a $2,000 bike puts one in the "elite segment of of serious bike market" than I must be a .1%-er. My frame would cost probably more than twice as much as that to replace today, not to mention the fork and everything else. But don't hate me for it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-03-21, 07:33 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,542 Times in 3,756 Posts
WalMart wants to sell bikes. Disc brakes, just like suspensions, helps WalMart sell those bikes. It really doesn't matter to WalMart whether these items are beneficial or not.

Old 05-03-21, 07:40 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
WalMart wants to sell bikes. Disc brakes, just like suspensions, helps WalMart sell those bikes. It really doesn't matter to WalMart whether these items are beneficial or not.
Exactly. They are just sales features to grab peoples attention and create a desire to buy the bike.
For decades I have considered that cheap suspension systems are worse than useless but what do I know as they sell tens of thousands of them.
Likes For AnthonyG:
Old 05-03-21, 07:41 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Originally Posted by indyfabz
If riding a $2,000 bike puts one in the "elite segment of of serious bike market" than I must be a .1%-er. My frame would cost probably more than twice as much as that to replace today, not to mention the fork and everything else. But don't hate me for it.
Maybe a way to say it would be simply "serious or committed cyclist market compared to the millions of bikes sold at Walmart." Right, it's not elite, but it's not the preponderance of the market, which is what the OP is contrasting it with...

Agreed on replacements - I have an NOS S-Works frame, and I sure didn't buy it new retail and wouldn't want to have to walk in and replace it from off the wall at an LBS. We know how to take advantage of a good value!
Old 05-03-21, 07:44 AM
Charliekeet

cb400bill makes a very good point, but I wonder whether a lot of shoppers are having a desire to buy created by the presence of discs. Suspension is super-obvious and understandable to noobs... other advancements, maybe not so much
Old 05-03-21, 08:01 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Charliekeet

Agreed on replacements - I have an NOS S-Works frame, and I sure didn't buy it new retail and wouldn't want to have to walk in and replace it from off the wall at an LBS. We know how to take advantage of a good value!
I am talking new custom ti. Actually a great value when you consider how much time the builder spent designing and building the frame. He's building one for my ex. We are supposed to go see it Saturday. Always fun to visit. Amazing place. He's got a machine for each tube/piece of the frame. One of them is a lathe from the 50s that was used by the Department of the Navy. And now that he has his own CNC mille he even makes his own dropouts.

When I ordered my frame he was not quite ready to offer disc brakes. I didn't want to wait another 4 months so I went with rim brakes.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-03-21, 08:01 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
“Hey man I got me a bike from Walmart. It’s got disc brakes and a shock absorber.” The fact that 10,000+ people can say that annually is why their BSO’s have disc brakes, “shocks,” and while we’re at it sometimes paint jobs and logo’s that evoke actual bicycles.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 05-03-21, 08:08 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
So you are wanting to make a law as to what can be sold by Walmart?

Why just Walmart? Target, Dick's, Academy Sports and many others sell inexpensive bike too. Just because I've grown beyond them doesn't mean they aren't right for some that don't ride seriously or often.

Maybe we can ban them from selling Kingsford charcoal too! <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-03-21, 08:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts

Not sure why you think we'd have access to Walmart's sale figures, but judging from their website, they have a lot more bike models with coaster brakes than disc brakes, and the vast majority are rim brakes.

I don't think anyone cares what I think about whether anyone "needs" disc brakes. I'd need to know how good the rim brakes are on these bikes and how much better/worse/no difference the disc brakes they'd replace them with would be to have any sort of informed opinion on this.

If I had to guess, though, I'd say that the disc brake would be inferior to a rim brake if they were both costing Walmart the same price.
Old 05-03-21, 08:40 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The simple fact is that disc brakes are a better brake, and the industry is moving to make discs standard. Read up on the subject economies of scale.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 05-03-21, 08:42 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
BTW what is wrong with a cyclist that dont have a ton of money having a bike with discs that are safer in the rain? Should only rich people be safe???
Likes For rydabent:
Old 05-03-21, 08:45 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
Do you think consumer grade Walmart bikes need disc brakes?
No, they don't "need" disc brakes. $2000+ bikes don't "need" them either.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 05-03-21, 09:15 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,542 Times in 3,756 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
BTW what is wrong with a cyclist that dont have a ton of money having a bike with discs that are safer in the rain? Should only rich people be safe???
Pump your brakes, so to speak. My new gravel bike has disc brakes. I am far from rich.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 05-03-21, 09:21 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
If I step back for a moment...

The person who just finished the clean-up in aisle 10 is now going to bleed the brakes on a bike I ride through downtown traffic.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 05-03-21, 09:29 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
If I step back for a moment...

The person who just finished the clean-up in aisle 10 is now going to bleed the brakes on a bike I ride through downtown traffic.
That could be a good thing, or a bad thing. What was being cleaned up? A spilled bag of marshmallows? Bad. Oil of some sort? Probably good.

But I'm thinking the Walmart bikes with disks probably aren't hydraulic anyway.
Old 05-03-21, 09:42 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
But I'm thinking the Walmart bikes with disks probably aren't hydraulic anyway.
You are probably right.

John
Old 05-03-21, 10:05 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
No bike "needs" disc brakes.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 05-03-21, 10:20 AM
indyfabz

How much does a ton of money weigh?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-03-21, 10:20 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
You are old, yet you post like a young adult who is constantly trying to feel slighted.

Cheap disc brakes work poorly. Rotors are easily bent, and come bent, dropouts arent straight, etc. If the disc brakes are well made and work- then great, they should be on all levels of bike.
And to answer your sad question- no, rich people arent the only ones who should be safe.
Old 05-03-21, 10:32 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
if Nike wasnt a registered trademark name, walmart would have already replicated that well known logo for use on there Great Value gym shoes. Comes down to business, not functionality.
Old 05-03-21, 10:38 AM
indyfabz

Two Walmart-related threads started by the OP within 7 minutes of each other. One about disc brakes.

Come on, peoples.
Old 05-03-21, 10:44 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Let's agree that people riding $2000 bikes are the small elite segment of serious bike market compared to the millions of bikes sold at Walmart..
I have to disagree with you on that one....A $ 2000 bike is not even close to being elite or very high end.....$2000 today gets you a mid - level bike that is of good quality but far from being high-end or elite....Bikes which cost around $2000 are probably the most common types of bikes sold out there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.