Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: What ultimately prompted you to get a cycling specific tattoo?
X number of career miles ridden
0.85%
X number of years ridden
2.56%
X number of bikes owned
0%
Big Event/Ride accomplished
4.27%
In memoriam
0.85%
I just like tatts
3.42%
I don't have one, and have no plans to
88.03%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Cycling Tattoo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-21, 02:42 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Always a good idea if you're going to get text tattooed on your body to make sure your tattoo artist is somewhat literate and not dyslexic.
Old 08-18-21, 05:04 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
IF I were to get a tattoo, it might be something like this... --- minus the animation, of course... Maybe 1" x 1-1/2" on the outside my right/(driveside) ankle...

My default comment when asked why I have no tattoos on my body - I say 'They' say that God created us in His own image - so why should I mess with perfection???' -- and I am NOT a religious person...

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 08-22-21 at 01:47 PM.
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 08-19-21, 12:43 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by ChamoisDavisJr
I drive a 2012 Kia Forte, when I'm not commuting to work by bike, and there's no bumper stickers on it either. Not out of "reverence" but because bumper stickers look stupid...always. In the case of tattoo's...98% of them also look stupid.

And;

Projection is the tool...of tools.
The Kia owner has ended the discussion with his expert opinion on all subjects lol
Old 08-19-21, 05:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
“Ithaca is Gorges.”
Old 08-20-21, 01:18 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Asking people on this forum why they got a tattoo is like asking people on a vegan forum why they ordered a Big Mac.
Old 08-20-21, 02:51 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4943 Post(s)
Liked 8,083 Times in 3,824 Posts
Old 08-20-21, 03:01 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Asking people on this forum why they got a tattoo is like asking people on a vegan forum why they ordered a Big Mac.
That probably explains why this might be the most lopsided poll ever!
Old 08-20-21, 06:58 PM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
The Kia owner has ended the discussion with his expert opinion on all subjects lol
No doubt in my mind that you of course have one of the most illest and freshest of tattoos placing you squarely in the lofty 2% of people who let other people use their skin as a canvas, and it looks good.

You probably smell nice too.

Congrats on all your success!
Old 08-20-21, 07:29 PM
Cougrrcj

Originally Posted by indyfabz
IIRC, that movie still was Hooper showing his 'Thesher shark scar' - just before Quint stole the scene with his telling of his USS Indianapolis experience...

I swear I'm one of the very few that knew about the USS Indianapolis before 'Jaws' was released in 1975... But then again, I've been a WW2 history junkie my whole life...

My personal WW2 library consists of close to a thousand books, multiple cases of old WW2 history magazines, and of course several hundred VHS tapes / DVDs... I've been to countless WW2 Museums around the Country, not to mention airshows that feature WW2 aircraft... I've flown (actually flown - been Pilot-at the controls) of several WW2 aircraft... Been to multiple US Naval museums and aboard WW2 combat ships...
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 08-21-21, 04:43 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by ChamoisDavisJr
No doubt in my mind that you of course have one of the most illest and freshest of tattoos placing you squarely in the lofty 2% of people who let other people use their skin as a canvas, and it looks good.

You probably smell nice too.

Congrats on all your success!
Kia man is again laying down the law!
Is there a reason you believe anyone cares what you think about their tattoo though bro?
Old 08-21-21, 05:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
IIRC, that movie still was Hooper showing his 'Thesher shark scar' - just before Quint stole the scene with his telling of his USS Indianapolis experience...

I swear I'm one of the very few that knew about the USS Indianapolis before 'Jaws' was released in 1975... But then again, I've been a WW2 history junkie my whole life...

My personal WW2 library consists of close to a thousand books, multiple cases of old WW2 history magazines, and of course several hundred VHS tapes / DVDs... I've been to countless WW2 Museums around the Country, not to mention airshows that feature WW2 aircraft... I've flown (actually flown - been Pilot-at the controls) of several WW2 aircraft... Been to multiple US Naval museums and aboard WW2 combat ships...
“Mary Ellen Moffet. She broke my heart.”—Matt Hooper

I was 10 when the film was released.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-21-21, 08:22 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I've always liked the infinity symbol.

So if I got a bicycle related tattoo it would be that incorporated into a bicycle.

I have no strong desire to get another tattoo though. Seeing what 20 years has done to my first tattoo. it's more if a health thing for me also. The human body is awesome at detoxing. But why add more load to an already over loaded system. I suppose my thinking came after reading up on tattoo removal.
I won't preach not to get a tattoo anymore than I'd preach at anyone to not eat mcDonalds. Or smoke.

https://www.vectorstock.com/royalty-...ector-22545601
Likes For Metieval:
Old 08-21-21, 08:49 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Tats on crepy skin is the bomb. The more wrinkly the better. But seriously:

Numerous studies, like this one: https://www.wlu.ca/news/spotlights/2...pulsivity.html conclude that people IN GENERAL who get tattoos are more impulsive, are not good long term planners and do not defer gratification and therefore are less economically successful. Your definition of what constitutes success may vary dramatically from theirs. Their words not mine.

Old 08-21-21, 10:47 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Tats on crepy skin is the bomb. The more wrinkly the better. But seriously:

Numerous studies, like this one: https://www.wlu.ca/news/spotlights/2...pulsivity.html conclude that people IN GENERAL who get tattoos are more impulsive, are not good long term planners and do not defer gratification and therefore are less economically successful. Your definition of what constitutes success may vary dramatically from theirs. Their words not mine.
This started out with someone asking to see cycling related tattoos and has turned into a judgement no judgement on tattoos and how people with them are statistically impulsive, live by the day, and financially limited.
Then your justification will be- 'I said in general'.

You gotta love BF, even though all types reside here.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-21-21, 11:00 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This started out with someone asking to see cycling related tattoos and has turned into a judgement no judgement on tattoos and how people with them are statistically impulsive, live by the day, and financially limited.

You should read the article with less judgment.
I failed to see the condemnation of impulsive people. I only saw the documentation of observations.

I am kind of curious to how people with thin skin can get tattoos. 🤔 you'd think it'd require thicker skin. *shrugs*
Old 08-21-21, 11:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
You should read the article with less judgment.
I failed to see the condemnation of impulsive people. I only saw the documentation of observations.

I am kind of curious to how people with thin skin can get tattoos. 🤔 you'd think it'd require thicker skin. *shrugs*
The point is- what does any of that study have to do with the topic? What benefit is listing findings of the study? Why did someone read the thread, Google for a study, read the study, then link it? How does that further the topic?

I dont think the link and summary added anything to the thread and I question why the poster felt it was beneficial.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-21-21, 11:25 AM
Metieval

The point is-

The BikeForums member had an opinion. He posted it.
I happened to find the link and article interesting. You found it to be judgemental.

I have a tattoo, I don't feel judged. *shrugs*
Old 08-21-21, 01:20 PM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
I was going to do a small chainring, with 60 in the middle, for my 60th birthday and ride. On my ankle, below the sock line. I have one other tattoo, from when I turned 50. This will be it. I'm using the salsa logo, replacing the N symbol with 60. One of the guys who won Inkmasters has a shop in my town, I'll use him.

Old 08-21-21, 02:25 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

You are quite right; I went off course. However, impulsiveness can be seen as an asset as well. It depends on which side of the fence…. Many creative geniuses are highly impulsive and highly successful.

I particularly like the infinity bike tat, very creative. Have also seen a few others which are absolute works of art and should be put in galleries.

Being a student of human nature, I thought it was interesting about tats relationship to impulsivity. The same could probably be said about a lack of spontaneity in those adamantly opposed, but have not seen any studies there, yet.

Old 08-21-21, 02:25 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

You are quite right; I went off course. However, impulsiveness can be seen as an asset as well. It depends on which side of the fence…. Many creative geniuses are highly impulsive and highly successful.

I particularly like the infinity bike tat, very creative. Have also seen a few others which are absolute works of art and should be put in galleries.

Being a student of human nature, I thought it was interesting about tats relationship to impulsivity. The same could probably be said about a lack of spontaneity in those adamantly opposed, but have not seen any studies there, yet.

No regerts

Old 08-22-21, 06:41 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I dont have any tats, but I'd like to get one placed over a couple of nasty scars. My main problem is that I can never seem to find a tattoo that I like well enough to look at for the rest of my life.
Old 08-22-21, 06:59 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
The point is- what does any of that study have to do with the topic? What benefit is listing findings of the study? Why did someone read the thread, Google for a study, read the study, then link it? How does that further the topic?

I dont think the link and summary added anything to the thread and I question why the poster felt it was beneficial.
OP asked what prompts a tattoo. Something I always wondered.

9 tattoo members responded with the reasons and 71 said they would not or did not plan to get a tattoo

I found the link very beneficial. I have always wondered why someone would graffiti up their body with substances so unhealthy.
Old 08-22-21, 01:54 PM
Cougrrcj

Originally Posted by indyfabz
“Mary Ellen Moffet. She broke my heart.”—Matt Hooper

I was 10 when the film was released.
THAT's why you must play the whole scene... Very poignant...

Better one...

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 08-22-21 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-23-21, 12:25 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
OP asked what prompts a tattoo. Something I always wondered.

9 tattoo members responded with the reasons and 71 said they would not or did not plan to get a tattoo

I found the link very beneficial. I have always wondered why someone would graffiti up their body with substances so unhealthy.
What is the average age around here?
Old 08-23-21, 01:14 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I'm waiting to see the responses since I know there's a difference in acceptance depending on generation. Most people I know would consider tattoos the same as graffiti: a good way to deface the perfect surface.
Those people can injest a sachel of richards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.