Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

It just doesnt make any sense

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

It just doesnt make any sense

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-21, 03:51 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
In 10 years from now you won’t be able to buy a 2x, much less a 3x.

Probably because you’ll be hard pressed to find a bike without some sort of electric assist.

It’s not the bike, it’s the engine motor.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 10-28-21, 04:16 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
What’s higher end?

I have a TA Carmina coming in tomorrow with a 64/104 spider, I’m going to run it as a double but it’s a triple. There’s various spiders available in just about and BCD you want.

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carmina.php
It appears that the TA Carmina is high end. Thanks for the link. The ability to order exactly what you want makes it worthy of consideration for a custom 3x build. I’m curious why you are going with the 64/104 spider and what chainring teeth combo you are running with.

I guess I was speaking about Dura Ace 7703, 7803 or Ultegra 6603, 6703 type of high end parts that might merge with modern hydraulic disc brake components for a neo-retro sort of custom vibe. I purchased a set of TRP hydraulic front and rear disc brake/aero brake levers set for a modern through axle disc brake titanium frame build. I purposely was going to build it up around an Industry 9 Torch 6 bolt disc 10 speed 142mm through axle mountain hub just for fun. I will just use bar end shifters for the 3 x 10 gearing to keep it simple. If I were to use a Dura Ace 7803 triple crank For this disc bike build, chain line considerations would have to be discovered on the fly as the build is road tested.

Another “high end” triple that needs to exist would be a similar idea (to what I just outlined in the previous paragraph) but this time in a Campagnolo interpretation of a “three by” triple crank modern rim brake or disc brake gear train that would be 3x11 or 3x12. Yes, duplicate/overlapping ratios might seem redundant but having tight ratios might be worth it for some people who enjoy this kind of thing.

I wrote a while back about this exact topic (perhaps in one of ride a bent’s other threads) commenting that it would be nice to see some small manufacturer produce a matched road triple chainring set that is of the same quality level and with the same excellent shifting that factory Shimano road triples originally had.
Likes For masi61:
Old 10-28-21, 04:37 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,990 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
For a road bike 1x is dumb. I went & put 2 competing systems on a scale. The decent 11-28 cassette, 2 derailleurs, & heavier than OEM 50-34 oval rings came out to 586 grams.
586 grams by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

The XT 11-42 XT cassette, Xtr m-9000 derailleur & 42 tooth oval ring came out to 708 grams.
708 grams by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Thats 4.2 ounces heavier.

This is sort of apples/oranges, I get it. Someone might want 17% lower low. That 1 big cog might be nice to have for that one hill they need it on. But it's the parts I have on hand. Getting a 50 tooth 1x ring if such a thing existed would equal the same gear inches as the 2x system. But that 50t ring would be heavier still. Going to a Garabunk cassette may save a bit of weight. But not 4.2 ounces & at what dollar cost for what is essentially a wear item?

Shifter weight saved is just a non-starter. Saving the guts out of the left 2x shifter doesn't mean very much. Certainly not 4.2 ounces worth of savings. (I don't have a GRX 1x mechanical/hydraulic to make kitchen scale comparison measurements with.)

Perhaps more important than the extra weight the 1x adds is the trading of 8-9% gear spacing at the top half of the cassette for 13, 15, & 18% Gear Calculator link

Yeah, good luck finding the right gear in the top end on road where gear spacing matters most.

For gravel & mountain bikes: Pray to whatever gearing God offers salvation.
The only dumb thing here is this comparison.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-28-21, 07:16 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
The only dumb thing here is this comparison.
What's so dumb about it? I don't see any other posts with components on scales to answer the whole "1x is better" in some way claims. One such claim is 1x is lighter. Clearly it isn't. 1x is simpler. Clearly that simplicity comes at a cost & that kills it for road use.

I freely acknowledge the limitations in parts variety on hand.

What would you do different, a road 11-32 cassette instead? 20 grams difference does not equal 4.2 ounces. Would you obtain a $500 Eagle cassette & tell me it's in someway better? Get a Rotor 13 speed to close up the gaps a bit where it doesn't matter & create some sort of equivalancy? Do it.

1x still isn't getting around the 1 tooth 11, 12, 13, 14 15, spacing on the small end where tight spacing matters for road. So, yeah. 1x on road is dumb no matter how you church it up.

Put some parts on a scale to show us your 1x system is lighter than a road double. Explain how to solve the cog spacing limitations & still get the same overall range is done. Show us all. I'm sure the big-bike would love to see 1x that is broader range, lighter system weigh & tighter ratio spacing than anything they've come up with for the market today.

You'd be a millionaire if you could.

Last edited by base2; 10-28-21 at 07:31 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 10-28-21, 07:17 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
squirrels bombing you all?
gm
Old 10-29-21, 01:11 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
It appears that the TA Carmina is high end. Thanks for the link. The ability to order exactly what you want makes it worthy of consideration for a custom 3x build. I’m curious why you are going with the 64/104 spider and what chainring teeth combo you are running with.

I guess I was speaking about Dura Ace 7703, 7803 or Ultegra 6603, 6703 type of high end parts that might merge with modern hydraulic disc brake components for a neo-retro sort of custom vibe. I purchased a set of TRP hydraulic front and rear disc brake/aero brake levers set for a modern through axle disc brake titanium frame build. I purposely was going to build it up around an Industry 9 Torch 6 bolt disc 10 speed 142mm through axle mountain hub just for fun. I will just use bar end shifters for the 3 x 10 gearing to keep it simple. If I were to use a Dura Ace 7803 triple crank For this disc bike build, chain line considerations would have to be discovered on the fly as the build is road tested.

Another “high end” triple that needs to exist would be a similar idea (to what I just outlined in the previous paragraph) but this time in a Campagnolo interpretation of a “three by” triple crank modern rim brake or disc brake gear train that would be 3x11 or 3x12. Yes, duplicate/overlapping ratios might seem redundant but having tight ratios might be worth it for some people who enjoy this kind of thing.

I wrote a while back about this exact topic (perhaps in one of ride a bent’s other threads) commenting that it would be nice to see some small manufacturer produce a matched road triple chainring set that is of the same quality level and with the same excellent shifting that factory Shimano road triples originally had.
I'm using 104/64 because this crankset is going on powershift 10sp bike so the largest cog I can go is 30 with 64bcd I can go all the way to 22 in front if needed. The bike will spend most of it life though setup with a "bash guard" 40t in the 104 position and a 30t on the inner 64. I've been running this gear combination most of the summer on a two piece Riv silver crank and it seems to work well but I want to narrow the Q a bit which led to the crank search and square taper specifically.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 10-29-21, 04:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Well, if you don't, you can't come on a thread like this and discuss the various points. You'll just be a spectator in the stands watching the rest of the participants who are actually doing it. What fun is that?

Kind of reminds of this quote:

https://www.trcp.org/2011/01/18/it-i...ic-who-counts/

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that TR wouldn't consider what you're doing as being in the arena. Comparing cog weights sure sounds like critic stuff to me.

If you thought that metaphor fit, y'all are taking bf thread arguments wayyyyyyy too seriously.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-29-21, 04:45 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by base2
What's so dumb about it? I don't see any other posts with components on scales to answer the whole "1x is better" in some way claims. One such claim is 1x is lighter. Clearly it isn't. 1x is simpler. Clearly that simplicity comes at a cost & that kills it for road use.

I freely acknowledge the limitations in parts variety on hand.

What would you do different, a road 11-32 cassette instead? 20 grams difference does not equal 4.2 ounces. Would you obtain a $500 Eagle cassette & tell me it's in someway better? Get a Rotor 13 speed to close up the gaps a bit where it doesn't matter & create some sort of equivalancy? Do it.

1x still isn't getting around the 1 tooth 11, 12, 13, 14 15, spacing on the small end where tight spacing matters for road. So, yeah. 1x on road is dumb no matter how you church it up.

Put some parts on a scale to show us your 1x system is lighter than a road double. Explain how to solve the cog spacing limitations & still get the same overall range is done. Show us all. I'm sure the big-bike would love to see 1x that is broader range, lighter system weigh & tighter ratio spacing than anything they've come up with for the market today.

You'd be a millionaire if you could.
Well if you compare any like-for-like 2x vs 1x groupset you will find that the 1x version is a little lighter overall. But there are lighter dedicated 2x road groupsets like DuraAce where there is no like-for-like 1x version. But weight is not the main reason I would choose a 1x setup.

As for range, there isn’t much in it now. I was looking at Campag Ekar in comparison with my compact Shimano 11-speed 50/34 double with 11-34 cassette. I could get much the same range with a 44T and 10-44T with Ekar. Or even 42T and 9-42T cassette.

Ratio spacing with Ekar is actually tighter in the higher gears. The top 6 gears are all 1T jumps and then the lower gears are wider spaced. I actually quite like that and find it more natural than the large step jumping across front chainrings.

Having come from a mixed road and mtb background and lived through the triple, double and now 1x eras, I find 1x easily the best solution for mtb and I’m on the fence between 2x and 1x for road with current group set options. But I prefer 1x as a concept.
Old 10-29-21, 05:33 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
leaving aside some of the sensationalism on the topic, sometimes there are benefits for 'more gears' and sometimes there aren't, especially given how fiddly front derailleurs can be. My road bike is 8 speed, and depending on the area, such as down where I grew up and ride when I'm visiting my parents, I can easily get by with just a 50 on front and my 12-28 cassette. I live in a hillier area so I use the 34t front. Having a triple would be unnecessary for me. Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but I'd imagine there's a ton of overlap with gear inches with one goes with a triple crankset. Racing CX I have a 2x 46/36 and 11 rear, and honestly I'm looking into going 1x with a 38 or 40, because there have been times I've had a bad front shift bite me in the rear. I have a MTB with a triple and likewise I'd go 1x front. Someone astutely noted that rear mechs are much more refined than front and a much smoother experience.

Anyhow, more is not always more and it's best to go with just what's necessary for one's riding style, sometimes it can be 1x, or a smaller 2x.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 10-29-21, 05:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
leaving aside some of the sensationalism on the topic, sometimes there are benefits for 'more gears' and sometimes there aren't, especially given how fiddly front derailleurs can be. My road bike is 8 speed, and depending on the area, such as down where I grew up and ride when I'm visiting my parents, I can easily get by with just a 50 on front and my 12-28 cassette. I live in a hillier area so I use the 34t front. Having a triple would be unnecessary for me. Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but I'd imagine there's a ton of overlap with gear inches with one goes with a triple crankset. Racing CX I have a 2x 46/36 and 11 rear, and honestly I'm looking into going 1x with a 38 or 40, because there have been times I've had a bad front shift bite me in the rear. I have a MTB with a triple and likewise I'd go 1x front. Someone astutely noted that rear mechs are much more refined than front and a much smoother experience.

Anyhow, more is not always more and it's best to go with just what's necessary for one's riding style, sometimes it can be 1x, or a smaller 2x.
I think you and I are also handling similar geography hill-wise (I'm in southern NH). My impression is that the triple enthusiasts seem to be people riding roads through mountains and touring. This makes a lot of sense because they're dealing with a lot more variations of terrain, load, and altitudes than we are.

Some of the bad rap on triples probably comes from retailers sticking it on cheap bikes for no particularly good reason except that 21 speed sounds more impressive than 14 speed.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-29-21, 06:19 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that TR wouldn't consider what you're doing as being in the arena. Comparing cog weights sure sounds like critic stuff to me.

If you thought that metaphor fit, y'all are taking bf thread arguments wayyyyyyy too seriously.
I think it is the perfect quote for the situation. It captures the spirit and very essence of the typical BF thread. It's what we should strive for each and every time we decide to post. Here's a great example of the effort we should be putting in. Note the passion on display on a topic that quite frankly, isn't nearly as exciting as bicycle gearing:

Last edited by seypat; 10-29-21 at 06:29 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-29-21, 06:49 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
...I was looking at Campag Ekar...
I'm a low-power/high-cadence person, so I have triples and sub-compact doubles my road bikes, but I could make Ekar work with a small enough chainring.
Old 10-29-21, 07:02 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by kingston
I'm a low-power/high-cadence person, so I have triples and sub-compact doubles my road bikes, but I could make Ekar work with a small enough chainring.
Yeah, Ekar is interesting. Campag have taken a different approach on gear spacing compared to both Shimano and SRAM. All 3 Ekar cassettes (9-36, 9-42 and 10-44) have 1T jumps across the top 6 gears. 13 speed also helps with the spacing. For me it solves the issue of achieving a low enough climbing gear (1:1) whilst still having a decent top end spread.

Whilst Ekar is aimed at the gravel market, I think it can be a very viable alternative to a compact double. I’ve looked into this in detail and already seen it on a couple of road bikes.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-29-21, 08:07 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Yeah, Ekar is interesting. Campag have taken a different approach on gear spacing compared to both Shimano and SRAM...
And while I like 11-speed Campagnolo too, I don't think there's anything I could do to make their 12-speed cassettes work for me.
Old 10-29-21, 09:39 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

1x is also going to stay because mfg’s will produce a viable geared bottom bracket that will allow for a ratio change under power to go from a high and low range. Some are available with some success.

But when the big 3 put one out, and it’s used at the highest levels, it will probably stick.

Unless people really prefer to be limited to matched chainrings with the ramps pins, and teeth.

John
Old 10-29-21, 09:50 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
1x is also going to stay because mfg’s will produce a viable geared bottom bracket that will allow for a ratio change under power to go from a high and low range. Some are available with some success.

But when the big 3 put one out, and it’s used at the highest levels, it will probably stick.

Unless people really prefer to be limited to matched chainrings with the ramps pins, and teeth.

John
Well, Sram already did it, a long time ago actually. Don't hear too much about the Hammerschmidt crank these days.
Old 10-29-21, 10:09 AM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Well, Sram already did it, a long time ago actually. Don't hear too much about the Hammerschmidt crank these days.
Know what I heard?

Elon Musk is worth $300 billion.

John
Old 10-29-21, 10:36 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Know what I heard?

Elon Musk is worth $300 billion.

John
Oh yeah? Wonder what he is made of. The average human is worth about $600 in chemical composition.
Old 10-29-21, 10:53 AM
70sSanO

Oh yeah? Wonder what he is made of. The average human is worth about $600 in chemical composition.
That’s fine.

Never underestimate the power of the past. That is why 70 year old rockers are playing 50 year old songs to packed out audiences.

John
Old 10-29-21, 11:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by seypat
I think it is the perfect quote for the situation. It captures the spirit and very essence of the typical BF thread. It's what we should strive for each and every time we decide to post. Here's a great example of the effort we should be putting in. Note the passion on display on a topic that quite frankly, isn't nearly as exciting as bicycle gearing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj5k6toS7i8

I admire Kinison for being able to do that stuff, but my ears just could never take it.
Old 10-29-21, 11:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It's very fine quality 420 resins.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-29-21, 11:51 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
I sold a couple of kidneys and a liver on eBay for a lot more than that.
Old 10-29-21, 11:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
When Rick James died his body had a street value of at least twice that.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-29-21, 11:56 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
When Rick James died his body had a street value of at least twice that.
He bought my eBay liver.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-29-21, 02:03 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I sold a couple of kidneys and a liver on eBay for a lot more than that.
Whose were they?

https://endtransplantabuse.org/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.