Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Took it easy today for a change

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-22, 01:58 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,630 Times in 2,918 Posts

Been reading The Midlife Cyclist and decided to put one of the tenants to work. Went out and did my usual 42 mile loop with 2000’ climbing and instead of pushing my self at a tempo pace, I kept it to moderate - trying to keep the average heart rate about 140 instead of my usual 150-160 (max is 189 and I’m 67). Have to say I missed the extra 2 MPH but when I finished the ride I didn’t feel thrashed as usual and am not having leg cramps. Unknowingly did set a PR on one 8 mile stretch and several 2nd fastest times which was a shock since i was far from pushing. Doesn’t make much sense but there was zero wind.

One amazing thing I saw was a guy on a recumbent probably running 25 MPH over the 8 mile segment. There was a 1/4 mile 4% climb where I thought I could gain on him, but and he didn’t slow down for a second. On the downhill side he just flew increasing his distance. It was interesting watching him overtake me, keep building distance and disappear. An absolute first, or I am just getting too old.

Last edited by rsbob; 02-14-22 at 02:01 AM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-14-22, 07:41 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
Riding for fun and not to "train?"

Unique concept worth exploring.
Likes For bblair:
Old 02-14-22, 10:31 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
....and not mutually exclusive!
Old 02-14-22, 03:34 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,990 Posts
I'm also planning to try this approach on my longer endurance rides over spring.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-14-22, 04:05 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
I now try to do about half my rides this way.

My way of easing into this was to bring along a camera on those rides, helps me slow down and enjoy the scenery.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 02-14-22, 04:32 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Take it easy with a bud - pick one that won't bury you in the effort.
One of my rememberable rides was an out and back 50miler w/ old buddy = @SurferRosa.

I think there was a beer slugging competition at the 1/2way turnaround lunch in Concrete?
(hehehehe - had to even the scales for the ride back.)

just another way to take it easy.
luckily, the return slide was to a lower elevation. and without any traffic.

no pics.
Old 02-16-22, 05:58 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
For 1/4 mile at 4%, the bent rider was probably just using aerodynamics to carry up the hill, pedaling barely harder than on flat ground.
Old 02-16-22, 06:15 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Been reading The Midlife Cyclist and decided to put one of the tenants to work. Went out and did my usual 42 mile loop with 2000’ climbing and instead of pushing my self at a tempo pace, I kept it to moderate - trying to keep the average heart rate about 140 instead of my usual 150-160 (max is 189 and I’m 67). Have to say I missed the extra 2 MPH but when I finished the ride I didn’t feel thrashed as usual and am not having leg cramps. Unknowingly did set a PR on one 8 mile stretch and several 2nd fastest times which was a shock since i was far from pushing. Doesn’t make much sense but there was zero wind.

One amazing thing I saw was a guy on a recumbent probably running 25 MPH over the 8 mile segment. There was a 1/4 mile 4% climb where I thought I could gain on him, but and he didn’t slow down for a second. On the downhill side he just flew increasing his distance. It was interesting watching him overtake me, keep building distance and disappear. An absolute first, or I am just getting too old.
Nah, that was just a higher watt/kg rider on a 'bent. The occasional one is out there.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 02-16-22, 09:19 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts

Yeah, I once heard about some Legend called DenverFox talk about “smiles over miles” but IIRC he was burned at the stake as a heretic.

Likes For Dudelsack:
Old 02-17-22, 12:13 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,027 Posts
Approaching 1,000 miles since 2022 began I was off the bike the last few days due to mental burnout. I’m like why am I doing this? after 2 days off the bike the fire is back. The weather this time of the year where I live is all over the place 80 one day then 20 something the next. Once daylight savings time gets here that will be great. My favorite time to ride is from 6 until dark. I keep bike lights handy in case the ride go into the night. I’m going to cruise easier for a few rides since I’m just riding to ride not training for anything.
Old 02-17-22, 02:49 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Yeah, I once heard about some Legend called DenverFox talk about “smiles over miles” but IIRC he was burned at the stake as a heretic.

Another unique concept might be to ride for pleasure, and omit recording performance/fitness/"training" metrics in order to evaluate the value of the ride.
Old 02-17-22, 03:17 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Another unique concept might be to ride for pleasure, and omit recording performance/fitness/"training" metrics in order to evaluate the value of the ride.
Another concept is to ride to Dave's Fresh Pasta on a Blue Bike to pick up the best damn raviolis, plus a bottle of wine at the packie up the street, for a nice dinner for two on a weeknight.

-mr. bill
Old 02-17-22, 04:45 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Any training plan worth a damn is going to include a fair number of days of active recovery.
Old 02-17-22, 08:19 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4379 Post(s)
Liked 3,014 Times in 1,864 Posts
Good for you for doing your regular doing a 42 mile loop at tempo. That's a tough regimen.

My approach is entirely different. During a given week, I'll almost never repeat the same route, distance, or type of ride (unless you count zwift). During the 100% outdoor riding season, I'll ride 5 days/week. In those 5, there will be harder rides and easier rides. Hard: A hard flat-out century or a very spirited 40-50 mile group ride with competitive sprints. Easy: solo 25-40 miles at low HR or a longer group ride, all or mostly at low HR.

Doing a similar distance/route/level of effort every day would cause me to get bored. YMMV, but I say, mix it up - distance, effort, AND route.
Old 02-17-22, 09:29 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,027 Posts
Was going to take it easy today but Mother Nature had other plans. 17 miles climbing with a 30mph N wind going against made it a leg burning. But I flew back the other 17 miles with a tailwind in the big chainring. Give and take ride. 34 miles a decent workout for me.