Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Might WD-40 hurt tires?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Might WD-40 hurt tires?

Old 02-28-22, 12:06 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Might WD-40 hurt tires?

Thinking of using WD-40 as a quick and dirty frame/rim wipe. I wouldn't intensionally put it on the tires but they might get some overspray. I'll be careful with the rotors.
Old 02-28-22, 12:25 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I buy it by the gallon and spray it all over my off-road motorcycles and have never noticed that the overspray does anything to the tires, but off-road tires don't last very long anyway. I wash my bicycles with soap and water, so I've never had a need for wiping them down with WD-40, but I wouldn't worry too much about the tires if I did.
Likes For kingston:
Old 02-28-22, 12:27 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
It's not great for plastics in general, so I would avoid getting it on tires. You also probably don't want any to seep into bearings as it can act as a solvent and break down your grease. Instead of spraying on and hoping to miss the tires and other crucial bits, spray some on a rag and use for the rag wiping clean exactly where you want to clean.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 02-28-22, 01:11 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
Some rubbers will swell and be ruined with WD40 but probably not tires as they have to withstand all kinds of glop on the roads. I would still make an effort to keep the WD off any part of the tires. My worry would be making the tires a little bit slippery on the road surface. Not a big worry mind you but take it easy when starting out on a ride to get a feel for if your traction is OK.
Old 02-28-22, 01:13 PM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
I get tri flow all over mine in the winter seems fine.
Old 02-28-22, 01:19 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I wouldn't use it on rims if the bike has rim brakes
I wouldn't spray it anywhere near disc brakes
I use it to remove china marker from car tires after tire rotation
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-28-22, 01:29 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I wouldn't use it on rims if the bike has rim brakes
I wouldn't spray it anywhere near disc brakes
Another good tip here is not to use brake cleaner to remove WD/oil from your disc brakes. It does a tremendous job at removing stickers and sometimes clear coat.
/whatIheard
/wasntme
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 02-28-22, 01:39 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Another good tip here is not to use brake cleaner to remove WD/oil from your disc brakes. It does a tremendous job at removing stickers and sometimes clear coat.
/whatIheard
/wasntme
Is it ok on the rotors tho? I've used it & thought it was ok. I just sprayed it on some paper towels away from the bike, then used the towels as I spun the wheel
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-28-22, 01:42 PM
sloppy12

Is it ok on the rotors tho? I've used it & thought it was ok. I just sprayed it on some paper towels away from the bike, then used the towels as I spun the wheel
brake cleaner is absolutely fine to use on a rotor. just like you describe spray on a rag and wipe off the rotor.
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 02-28-22, 01:42 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Yes, not going to hurt the brake components. Similarly as pointed out above, don't let it get in the hubs either. If it hits a spoke it can discolor it but would depend on what they are made of.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 02-28-22, 01:46 PM
sloppy12

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Yes, not going to hurt the brake components. Similarly as pointed out above, don't let it get in the hubs either. If it hits a spoke it can discolor it but would depend on what they are made of.
You bring up a good point if there are shiny anodized hardware bits holding rotor on or anywhere the brake cleaner could end up use more caution..
Old 02-28-22, 04:02 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Thinking of using WD-40 as a quick and dirty frame/rim wipe. I wouldn't intensionally put it on the tires but they might get some overspray. I'll be careful with the rotors.
I use it for cleaning parts, wiping down really well afterwards. there is enough lubricant I would not get it anywhere near rims/disks, also would think without a super good wipe down it could attract dirt. overall I would not use it this way.

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-01-22, 05:51 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 247 Posts
Thinking of using WD-40 as a quick and dirty frame/rim wipe. I wouldn't intensionally put it on the tires but they might get some overspray.
The only time I think WD40 should be used is when I buy it on sale, non-aerosol in bulk gallon cans, and use it on dumb stuff like the under belly of lawnmowers, only because I don't want to waste my good premium and better lubes.

WD40 is just cheap and low grade. A lot of it is needed to make it work, that's why the aerosol cans are expensively a rip-off, and best dispensed in a finger trigger spray bottle (like the ones you use to spray cats into obediance).

The only time I would use it on a bike is on abandoned bikes I find and hoard. I would spray it entirely all over so it can rest in peace in my backyard, so I can pull parts from it when needed. It is a penetrant. Left over long periods of time, it does work. More the reason you don't want it to seep into things like bearings.

The surface area of a bike is so small, it's really easy to clean it properly, polished and waxed, at which point dirt comes off it so easily with any damp rag, or carefully with pressure washer on my lazy days, which is almost all of the time now.
Old 03-01-22, 06:09 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
also would think without a super good wipe down it could attract dirt.
This.

I had a guy wipe down some machinery once with WD40 and he specifically called me back to the shop to show me what he did because he was so proud. The next day he wasn't so full of pride.

Besides this, your bike will smell like WD40 too.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-01-22, 08:04 AM
Darme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I do like my dawn soap and water …
Old 03-01-22, 09:11 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
WD-40 for anything other than general household use for non-mechanics amazes me. WD is lubricants w/ anti-corrosion agents, penetrants, water displacers and something for cleaning(50% OMS). A gal of OMS and a spray bottle will clean and not leave anything on your rims or rotors like WD does and cost much less than a gal of WD and if you buy spray cans of WD you will spend 5 or more times as much.
Old 03-01-22, 09:54 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
WD-40 will probably not cause any damage, especially when it only has minimal contact with the tire. The closest material to butyl rubber I can find in a compatibility chart is neoprene and it has a “C” rating which means “C - Fair: Moderate Effect, not recommended for continuous use. Softening or loss of strength, and swelling may occur.” Don’t soak the tire and you should be fine.

I do agree with others that the use of WD-40 as a wipe down isn’t a particularly good idea. Mineral spirits or Simple Green or just plain water should be enough. Don’t use anything oily on the chain and your cleanup will be a whole lot easier from the start.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-01-22, 10:04 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by easyupbug
WD-40 for anything other than general household use for non-mechanics amazes me. WD is lubricants w/ anti-corrosion agents, penetrants, water displacers and something for cleaning(50% OMS). A gal of OMS and a spray bottle will clean and not leave anything on your rims or rotors like WD does and cost much less than a gal of WD and if you buy spray cans of WD you will spend 5 or more times as much.
What people think is and, more importantly, isn’t in WD-40 is what amazes me. It’s fairly simple to find out. WD-40 is an oil in mineral spirits in about a 25/75% ratio. That’s it. That also happens to be about the ratio of oil to solvent in most chain lubricants. The identity of the oil in chain lubricants isn’t all that different from the oil in WD-40 based on the CAS number of the oils. Here’s what’s in it.

WD-40 is only “water displacing” in that it’s an oil that sticks to the metal. A bit of water and the action of moving the chain will churn that mixture up and displace the oil with a layer of water on the metal since metal has more affinity for the water than oil does. But that happens with any oil based lubricant.

I agree that it shouldn’t be used as a cleaner, just like TriFlow shouldn’t be used as a cleaner for fairly obvious reasons.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-01-22, 10:13 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Thinking of using WD-40 as a quick and dirty frame/rim wipe...
Yes... It works but there are some things that do not go well with WD-40 and it leaves just enough of an oily residual to act as a magnet for light dust. ON the other hand that same light residual makes it easy to blast off mud even if it has dried latter on.

I found that ArmorAll "Tire Foam" (Must Be Brand Name) to be the best. I spray the entire bike, everything, then wipe it all off. The brand name tire foam has helped preserve paint, decals, leather, tires, spokes nipples, and plastic.
Old 03-01-22, 10:18 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I've used Pledge to wipe off a bike on rare occasions when it's little dirty but not dirty enough to wash. It seems to work ok for that and it smells lemony fresh!
Likes For kingston:
Old 03-01-22, 10:29 AM
Numerozero

Bikes: Downtube 8FH w/ TSD-Z2 motor; Xootr Swift w/DualDrive ; Downtube MiniB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
I use Griot's Vinyl and Rubber dressing, after being recommended by Aaron's Bike Shop (rideyoubike dot com). Sheds mud easier on mountain bikes!
Old 03-01-22, 01:24 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I do agree with others that the use of WD-40 as a wipe down isn’t a particularly good idea. Mineral spirits or Simple Green or just plain water should be enough.
I'm looking for a moisture minimization oxidation slow-down - things oxidize fairly quickly where I live. I know there are things like Muc-off Silicon Shine, but trying to avoid another can of stuff.
Old 03-01-22, 01:37 PM
cyccommute 

I'm looking for a moisture minimization oxidation slow-down - things oxidize fairly quickly where I live. I know there are things like Muc-off Silicon Shine, but trying to avoid another can of stuff.
There’s this stuff that has been around for years (and years and years and years). Called “paint”. Even comes in different colors if you like. Does a wonderful job of preventing metal oxidation. You should try it

Snarkiness aside, there are a number of better products that will do the job without serving as a dust magnet. Car wax, Pledge, ArmourAll, etc. would be a better choice.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-04-22, 10:00 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
There’s this stuff that has been around for years (and years and years and years). Called “paint”. Even comes in different colors if you like. Does a wonderful job of preventing metal oxidation. You should try it

Snarkiness aside, there are a number of better products that will do the job without serving as a dust magnet. Car wax, Pledge, ArmourAll, etc. would be a better choice.
I used WD-40 on my cast iron table saw top once. It didn't do a good job of preventing rust. It is good to use when scrubbing the rust off. Paste wax, car wax, and other specialty products(mostly wax with other stuff added to make it smell bad\nice) does a much better job.
BTW ever used latex paint on iron\steel with out a primer? The water in the paint will cause the metal to rust under the paint. It's not pretty.
Old 03-04-22, 02:15 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts

filiform corrosion can happen under paint....snarky, snarky...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.