Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 03-02-22, 06:34 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I had a dream last night that while chatting with some folks, someone decided to take my track bike for a spin, without asking. But because they were smaller than me, they put on a shorter stem, swapped out the drop bar for a pursuit bar and moved the saddle down and forward.

It was quite stressful.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 03-03-22, 09:52 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I despise the construction out by my workplace recently. Laying new water/sewer on BOTH the country roads leaving the facility only like 1mi outbound. The automated flagman thing doesn't work worth a damn either. I tried to drive past it one day just to see where it ended, and I almost got hit head on because the automated flagman thing screwed up.

So, my lunch TT spin area is gone. Dammmmmmmit. And I don't care to randomly park off the road beside some rando's field to go ride. Out this way, they don't seem to care to ever have parks for kids or public. So there's not the dozen or so parking options I have back towards town where I can park then ride out to the countryside.

Le sigh........at least supposedly they open the gym back to us soon from the Covid BS. There are Cycleops bikes in there. Then I can go over there for a quick lunch interval workout.

Given that introduces a different trainer versus my Kickr, I may go ahead and buy the dang Speedplay power meter and use that for TT bike, road, and take them off to the gym bike also. Then sell my L only stages off the road bike for like $100. Whooo hoo, down from $900 to $800 if I do that.
Old 03-04-22, 09:47 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10065 Post(s)
Liked 5,051 Times in 2,155 Posts
First crit is tomorrow. Pretty big field, so far 69 are registered. Its a .4 mile race track. Any advice, or things y’all wish you knew when you first started out.

LAJ has beat into my head “Guard my front wheel”
”keep the rubber side down” “Guard my front wheel”.

Main goal is to not crash, and try to observe and learn as much as I can. I’m not sure how many events I will be able to do this year, due to my work schedule and not much control over which days off I get. There are two local Crit series that are weekly that I am hoping I can participate in when I am home.
Old 03-04-22, 12:00 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
First crit is tomorrow. Pretty big field, so far 69 are registered. Its a .4 mile race track. Any advice, or things y’all wish you knew when you first started out.

LAJ has beat into my head “Guard my front wheel”
”keep the rubber side down” “Guard my front wheel”.

Main goal is to not crash, and try to observe and learn as much as I can. I’m not sure how many events I will be able to do this year, due to my work schedule and not much control over which days off I get. There are two local Crit series that are weekly that I am hoping I can participate in when I am home.
It's hard to crash when you're dropped so start with not getting dropped.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 03-04-22, 12:34 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
It's hard to crash when you're dropped so start with not getting dropped.
So if his main goal is to not crash, then he SHOULD get dropped.

Or just stay home.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 03-04-22, 12:39 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
If you want to be really safe, drope the hamer!!! Use your massive guads to dial up 400W and ride off the front...or something something 41 something baby bolts something.

Editted because I forgot that you need the guads.

Last edited by himespau; 03-04-22 at 02:06 PM.
Likes For himespau:
Old 03-04-22, 01:21 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
anyone want to jump in the road forum and help me out against the Freds? lol people are offended I've given advice to a poster for wanting to get $3k aero wheels to forget the wheels and train more given a thread they have another forum where they won't train more than like 5ish hrs a week. I dunno, I think as a hobbyist community we should be better than enabling people to make dumb purchases
Old 03-04-22, 01:49 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by himespau
If you want to be really safe, drope the hamer!!! Dial up 400W and ride off the front...or something something 41 something baby bolts something.
Don't forget something about gauds. It's sad that we're all getting these 10 year old references.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 03-04-22, 02:06 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by himespau
If you want to be really safe, drope the hamer!!! Use your massive guads to dial up 400W and ride off the front...or something something 41 something baby bolts something.

Editted because I forgot that you need the guads.
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Don't forget something about gauds. It's sad that we're all getting these 10 year old references.
Fixed, thanks.
Likes For himespau:
Old 03-04-22, 02:18 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Or just stay home.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 03-05-22, 08:02 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10065 Post(s)
Liked 5,051 Times in 2,155 Posts

Or just stay home.

Didnt stay home, nor did I get dropped, nor did I crash. Finished 20 out of 87. Officially hooked.
Old 03-06-22, 09:35 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by bampilot06
Didnt stay home, nor did I get dropped, nor did I crash. Finished 20 out of 87. Officially hooked.
Congrats. That's a perfect first result
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 03-06-22, 01:44 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by Mojo31
I mean, folks blow $$$$ on vehicles they'll never off-road or take to a dragstrip or road course. Spending a small pittance of that % of money on a fancy car affords a ****** garage of bikes with nice wheels. I mean, people blow $80k on Audi suv's and $100k on Corvettes. What's even $15k of that instead on a garage full of blinged out bicycles?

Who cares if they're fast or slow riding it. Think about how slow you see folks perpetually driving Corvettes around town.
Old 03-06-22, 03:43 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I mean, folks blow $$$$ on vehicles they'll never off-road or take to a dragstrip or road course. Spending a small pittance of that % of money on a fancy car affords a ****** garage of bikes with nice wheels. I mean, people blow $80k on Audi suv's and $100k on Corvettes. What's even $15k of that instead on a garage full of blinged out bicycles?

Who cares if they're fast or slow riding it. Think about how slow you see folks perpetually driving Corvettes around town.
If the question is, “What wheels will help me be more competitive?, then I get that improving training might be more beneficial.

If you just want to enjoy the ride, then get what you can. Nothing wrong with putting lipstick on a pig if that’s what you want to do.
Old 03-09-22, 09:09 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Richmond UCI worlds was before I was really into bikes stuff. Is the TT course they used for that something someone could ride on a weekend in modern times? Or did they do something silly like close down a major highway to use for it or something?

Kind of like, I can go ride our regionals champ course anytime I want. It's in middle of nowhere. Go park at the playground or fire station and do a 40k.

Is it remotely rideable? Zwift doesn't have it. I need to ask/look on Rouvy to see if they do.
Old 03-09-22, 07:32 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Kid's brains are so crazy. My daughter was doing kinda ok starting to read for a while, she had most of the basic sounds and was starting to get a few sight words, but progress was relatively slow, but fine for her age. Then shortly before she turned six, it was like a switch was flipped, and suddenly she could just read. She can read better than a lot of 8 or 9 year olds I've seen. It's not beginning to read, it's basically just reading, and she loves it. She reads herself to sleep every night. 3 syllable word she's never read before, no problem, just sounds it out and keeps going. I'm hoping it's this easy with our other two.

Once they can read, and enjoy reading, they can teach themselves anything else they want to learn about.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 03-10-22, 04:26 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
Headline from Cycling Weekly:

"Brandon McNulty wins stage five of Paris-Nice after 38km solo attack from break"

w00t!

I remember seeing him in the P/1 field at Valley of the Sun stage race 4 or 5 years ago, the year it rained on day 2. There was lots of support and buzz around him before the stage 1 TT, needless to say he absolutely smashed it. He abandoned the race after that due to the weather, didn't start day 2.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-10-22, 06:33 PM
himespau 

My trainer (well the forkstand for my rollers) broke beyond repair last night (and I'm definitely not stable enough to ride rollers without the stand on Zwift for workouts/races), so I finally took advantage of a sale to order an Elite Direto XR. Sure, it's not a Kickr, but $650 for something in the high-mid direct drive class was too good to pass up. Of course, I needed to order a campagnolo freehub, so it wasn't quite that good a deal, but I'm looking forward to trying a smart trainer.
Likes For himespau:
Old 03-15-22, 10:10 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I'm considering dumping the road bike and getting a fancy modern electronic shift 2x cyclocross bike AND a used single speed cross bike. I simply do not race crits. I think I've found my jam with cyclocross, road time trial, and maybe duathlon moving forward.

I think I would be happier that way. Just buy an extra set of wheels for road riding for it. Then the cross/gravel wheelset(s).

I just got the di2 bug after having it on the TT bike and cannot or will not convert that old Crockett to di2 nor convert the current roadie to di2 or AXS or whatever.

I'll sit and think on it. Bonus hit my account and we hope to close on sale of our rental place in early April for some level of profit after gains taxes. I mean, I could afford to keep the roadie. But at that point I'd rather ride a di2 cross bike on the road with road wheels and tires instead of the old mech roadie. Then I could fit some 30mm tubeless on it and do mix road/gravel rides with it on the same wheel and tire setup. Right now, it's an "either or" thing. Umstead is right near my house along with some decent neighborhood hilly road riding. Hitting the combo on a ride would be nice.
Old 03-15-22, 11:14 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
ಠ_ಠ
Old 03-15-22, 11:33 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Might as well. I heard road is dead anyway.

Old 03-15-22, 02:50 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

don't worry burnthesheep we will still let you post in the 33 whatever you decide.

but if you're not hurting for the cash - don't you prefer to be on a nice, aero and/or light rig for training outside? a road bike is still the best way to train general fitness IMO
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-18-22, 08:09 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Not sure why, but I really don't like random parking places to go ride. With the construction with some pipe work out here by my work, they've eff'd all my routes from where I park. I could go roadside park, but that just seems sketch to me.

I feel like other people do that, or other people may HAVE to do that if they ever want to ride. But I just prefer a public park, my work parking lot, stuff like that.

Shrug.
Old 03-18-22, 08:16 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by TMonk
don't worry burnthesheep we will still let you post in the 33 whatever you decide.

but if you're not hurting for the cash - don't you prefer to be on a nice, aero and/or light rig for training outside? a road bike is still the best way to train general fitness IMO
I'd probably keep it.

KOM tries and all that jazz.

It's all sorted right now, as in the bike works fine. Shifts well, yada yada. I think it's more of a wanting a nicer cross bike with disc brakes and electronic than wanting a road bike with that. The road bike works fine as is. A 2015 Propel with r8000/r9100 mix and HED 6+ wheels is pretty fun to ride.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 03-18-22, 09:39 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

My daily is a 2013 Giant TCR Advanced with full R8000 (rim brake). Bonty Aeolus 3 wheels, nice balance of light weight and slightly aero. Modern wide rim. I do thoroughly enjoy that bike, it's comfortable and light/snappy. I race on a 2016 Venge Expert with 11s Force and deeper wheels. It rides like crap but it holds speed wheel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.