Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking to get a used bike - appreciate 2nd opinions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Looking to get a used bike - appreciate 2nd opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-22, 09:23 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
I’d recommend following up on the Giant Sedona. Sounds like what you’re after at a good price. But, of course, check it out: condition, size, components.
Likes For Mountain Mitch:
Old 03-23-22, 10:00 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Interesting to compare a bike to a Toyota Corolla.

For me that would be;

A steel frame for strength and less likely to be badly fatigued
26" wheels for strength with a freehub not freewheel
Thick tyres for comfort and long life
Rigid steel fork for zero maintenance
1x drivetrain for simplicity and reduced maintenance
Wide range cassette maybe 11-34T
Old 03-23-22, 10:08 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
The Raleigh Portage is the only good one in the OP list, if in not rusty condition. Has a level top tube and is 650B?
IF it's 23"+ go try it.
The first 2 bikes in post #17 look in the ballpark at least.
I wouldn't buy any 26er bike. They are crappy on streets, IMO. Totally unnecessary.
Far better is a city/ commuter bike with a rack, even better if it has an IGH. I had NO problem riding a 1973 CCM with a new SA XRD 3 speed, between Markham and DT. These are the only true 100% reliable and easy low service.
For a level top tube bike, your size is 23.5" to 25".
35 to 42 mm tires are what to look for. Frames with a steep slope top tube are HORRIBLE. Stay away.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 03-23-22 at 12:10 PM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 03-23-22, 10:12 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
A vintage road bike with 23 or 25mm tyres and down shifters for casual use on trails? That's brave.
Instead of an '80s racing or crit bike as you're suggesting, maybe just a road bike (touring or sport touring) from the '70s or '80s that can fit 28 or 32mm tires.

Far less "brave" and far less sarcastic.
Old 03-23-22, 10:14 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by arimnestos
Hi all, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum. I'm looking to get a new (used) bike and would appreciate some wisdom/second opinions etc.

A little about me: I'm young, 6' tall, enjoy biking, but not an expert in buying bikes at all. The last two bikes I rode were hand-me-downs given for free with lots of issues, e.g. one gear/7 working, rear brakes not working, flat tires etc. I fixed what I could, but it would be nice to get a bike relatively problem free.

I recently moved to Toronto, so I'm not planning to do any crazy mountain biking anytime soon, but do enjoy going on trails where possible, so I'm interested in a hybrid or mountain bike.

I'm young and with student loans, so I have a low budget (Ideally under $250 CAD) and just want something low maintenance I can ride around the city and on trails. Like a Toyota Corolla - reliable, affordable, not fancy.

I'm not quite sure exactly what to look for in getting a used bike, although I've gathered from some past posts to avoid retail store bikes and some preferred budget brands (e.g. Giant).

As a result - here's some postings I've seen, please let me know your thoughts if you think any are a good buy! Thanks in advance for your help and hope you have a great night!

$150 - Giant Sedona - looks relatively new and medium-large size, but not sure. Nor does the lady who posted when I asked her.

$160 Giant Iguana - 18in frame, 26in tire. Looks older. Maybe 90s?

$120 Raleigh Ambush - medium frame, 26in tires. Looks 5-10 years old?

$65 Raleigh Portage - 22in frame, 26in tires. Looks older - 90s?

$120 Raleigh Summit - maybe 5-10 years old? 21in frame, 26in tires
If you give us a location and which used bike site you are looking at, craigslist/facebook?, we can get a better idea of what your market is. Doesn't hurt to post your area in your profile and sometimes helps with locals that might have something laying around that would work for you..
Likes For curbtender:
Old 03-23-22, 10:18 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
With that low of a budget you are talking more like a Chevy S-10 or a Ford Taurus. A Toyota Corrolla would be more comparable to a bike over $1000.

At the price range you are looking those bikes would be just like your hand me downs.
Craigslist here has rigid Mt.bike/hybrids from Cannondale, Trek, Gary Fisher, Bianchi, Specialized for $250 USD or less
Old 03-23-22, 10:21 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Originally Posted by curbtender
If you give us a location and which used bike site you are looking at, craigslist/facebook?, we can get a better idea of what your market is. Doesn't hurt to post your area in your profile and sometimes helps with locals that might have something laying around that would work for you..
While I agree location in profile is a good thing, 3rd paragraph states Toronto.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-23-22, 10:25 AM
dave8311

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Trek FX 7.2 or higher

(this might be a bit biased)
Old 03-23-22, 10:29 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
The best advice I saw above was to procure a steel MTB with no suspension fork that feels comfortable; rides shifts, and brakes well; and appears to have been maintained (not left outdoors).

Last edited by 2old; 03-23-22 at 02:18 PM.
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-23-22, 10:50 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Pretty clean Raleigh. If you could negotiate down a little for tires, solid utility bike.
https://toronto.craigslist.org/yrk/b...461221429.html

Raliegh Mountain Bike for men 26 inch 23 in frame 18 speed bicycle & - $165 (Markham)

image 1 of 11
Likes For curbtender:
Old 03-23-22, 10:57 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Instead of an '80s racing or crit bike as you're suggesting, maybe just a road bike (touring or sport touring) from the '70s or '80s that can fit 28 or 32mm tires.

Far less "brave" and far less sarcastic.
The OP is looking for a mountain/hybrid bike on a budget to use off-road so a road bike, even with 32mm tires* doesn't sound at all suitable. Most 26" mountain/hybrid bikes should be capable of going to about 1.5-2" (37-52mm) wide which will be much better off-road, with off-road suitable tires already fitted. The flat bars will make it a bit cheaper and more casual.

If s/he was looking at multiple bikes, or something mostly for paved routes, I'd agree that a road bike with 32mm tires would probably be a good choice.

*I always assumed that road bikes capable of going above 28mm tires was only really becoming a thing in the last few years.
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 03-23-22, 10:57 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
If you could negotiate down a little for tires
Unless the seller needs immediately cash for other habits, that bike at its advertised price is a steal to anyone that doesn't have a bike at all.

Things Canada: after winters, when the temperature goes up, so do bike prices.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 03-23-22, 11:43 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
The OP is looking for a mountain/hybrid bike on a budget to use off-road.
Is he? Is there a lot of off-road choice in Toronto? He's going to be doing more off-road than on-road? A lot of bike newbies make mistakes concerning surface availability in big cities, especially when they're new to that city.
Old 03-23-22, 11:45 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 274 Posts
A lot of newbies make this mistake in big cities.
Agreed.

Worst is when "newbie" doesn't realize their "mistake" and think they are smarter and above all else.
Old 03-23-22, 01:26 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Is he? Is there a lot of off-road choice in Toronto? He's going to be doing more off-road than on-road? A lot of bike newbies make mistakes concerning surface availability in big cities, especially when they're new to that city.
With some half way decent "gravel" tires rigid Mt. bikes make great urban "all arounder" bikes which seems to be the OP's intent.

​​​​​​https://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2...round_toronto/
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-23-22, 01:58 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
my fastest 34 mile (round trip) commute was on an old 26er w/ big fat slicks (that I added), that was too small for me, that I found on top of a trash heap
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-23-22, 03:50 PM
Herzlos

Well s/he says this:

"I recently moved to Toronto, so I'm not planning to do any crazy mountain biking anytime soon, but do enjoy going on trails where possible, so I'm interested in a hybrid or mountain bike."

I'd posit that you can ride on any road with a mountain bike, but you can't ride on any trail with a road bike. Heck, I gave up on a path I do a lot on my gravel bike (with 37mm off-road tyres) because I was struggling for grip, whereas it'd have been no issue with my mountain bike. I wouldn't have even tried with my 28mm road bike.

A hybrid should do everything s/he needs, well enough. If I had to only have one bike, it'd be a mountain bike style hybrid.
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 03-23-22, 04:59 PM
Herzlos

Is that fun for anyone? I've done it, and it sucks.
I do it all the time with a pretty aggressive mountain bike. I tend to ride from home to trails a few miles away with 29x2.4" knobbly tires at 40psi, 780mm bars, 1x drivetrain with a top gearing of 32x11. It's not as fast as my road bike by a long shot, but it works fine.

It's about 1000 times more fun than trying to take on a rough, steep or sloppy trail with a road bike. Now that sucks.
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 03-23-22, 06:23 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Is that fun for anyone? I've done it, and it sucks.
Sucks (and fun) are in the the eye of the beholder
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-24-22, 08:19 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Craigslist here has rigid Mt.bike/hybrids from Cannondale, Trek, Gary Fisher, Bianchi, Specialized for $250 USD or less
I'm sure they are nice 90s era or early 2000s era bikes.

Old 03-25-22, 09:18 AM
arimnestos

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for everyone's help

I went to another LBS yesterday afternoon and they had a large, 2016 Giant Escape 2 for $400.

These are the specs:
Frame: ALUXX-grade aluminum

Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus
Front derailleur: Shiman M191
Crank: SR Suntour XCE, 28/38/48
Shifters: Shimano M310
Cassette: SRAM 11x32 3-speed
Chain: KMC Z72
Brakes: Tektro
Brake levers: Tektro

Wheels - Alloy, 32h, 700x32

Curious to hear thoughts on this? Seems to be a good quality bike with good quality parts, at least, relative to the price, and suits my needs well in terms of sizing, low maintenance and such. And I like that it's from a LBS and already tuned up etc.

I'm just a little concerned on how it'll fare on the trails? The gentleman at the shop assured me with some gravel tires it'll have no problems with trails, but it is a city-bike first, meant to do light off-roading.

$400 is a little steep for my budget, but it seems quite fair.

EDIT: After some googling - it looks like I can fit up to 45mm tires on there, which I think would make the off-roading/trails more possible?

Last edited by arimnestos; 03-25-22 at 09:44 AM. Reason: more details
Old 03-25-22, 09:45 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by arimnestos
Thanks for everyone's help

I went to another LBS yesterday afternoon and they had a large, 2016 Giant Escape 2 for $400.
These are the specs:
Frame: ALUXX-grade aluminum
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus
Front derailleur: Shiman M191
Crank: SR Suntour XCE, 28/38/48
Shifters: Shimano M310
Cassette: SRAM 11x32 3-speed
Chain: KMC Z72
Brakes: Tektro
Brake levers: Tektro
Wheels - Alloy, 32h, 700x32
Curious to hear thoughts on this? Seems to be a good quality bike with good quality parts, at least, relative to the price, and suits my needs well in terms of sizing, low maintenance and such. And I like that it's from a LBS and already tuned up etc.
I'm just a little concerned on how it'll fare on the trails? The gentleman at the shop assured me with some gravel tires it'll have no problems with trails, but it is a city-bike first, meant to do light off-roading.
$400 is a little steep for my budget, but it seems quite fair.
A quite nice newer bike. Coming from an LBS, one should expect it's in top running condition; and given the current and expected bike situation for the coming year, it's a good deal.
This seems to hit exactly into the bike use type you outlined in your OP.
Parts are all solid, very serviceable, and appropriate for the level and type of riding on this bike.
As LBS noted, the current tires will work fine for most everything including light Rail-Trail type riding and forest lanes. Getting some 38-42 mm tires on it would certainly allow it to handle quite a bit of more rugged terrain, if that ever is a consideration.
Asking the LBS to include a free 'adjustment' service, a few months after you purchase, would be a nice bonus - taking care of some minor, but important, adjustments to the drivetrain and stretched cables (assuming LBS has replaced any cables which were doubtful...)
A much better deal than buying some private seller's nightmare. Don;t think you'd spend better on anything else.
DON:T FORGET to get the BEST LOCKING SYSTEM you can afford - it'd be a shame to be separated from such a most useful and enjoyable thing. Nice, good helmets can be quite economical, as long as they fit well.
Don't leave it un-attended - even when locked - for very long... Bike thieves are the scum of the universe and all too numerous.
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: If the bike is stock, the cassette is likely 8 spd (not 3 - 3 is the front chainring setup). all good...
Old 03-25-22, 09:50 AM
curbtender

You bought new? If you are happy with it and it comes with warranty then all good.
Old 03-25-22, 09:55 AM
arimnestos

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
A quite nice newer bike. Coming from an LBS, one should expect it's in top running condition; and given the current and expected bike situation for the coming year, it's a good deal.
This seems to hit exactly into the bike use type you outlined in your OP.
Parts are all solid, very serviceable, and appropriate for the level and type of riding on this bike.
As LBS noted, the current tires will work fine for most everything including light Rail-Trail type riding and forest lanes. Getting some 38-42 mm tires on it would certainly allow it to handle quite a bit of more rugged terrain, if that ever is a consideration.
Asking the LBS to include a free 'adjustment' service, a few months after you purchase, would be a nice bonus - taking care of some minor, but important, adjustments to the drivetrain and stretched cables (assuming LBS has replaced any cables which were doubtful...)
A much better deal than buying some private seller's nightmare. Don;t think you'd spend better on anything else.
DON:T FORGET to get the BEST LOCKING SYSTEM you can afford - it'd be a shame to be separated from such a most useful and enjoyable thing. Nice, good helmets can be quite economical, as long as they fit well.
Don't leave it un-attended - even when locked - for very long... Bike thieves are the scum of the universe and all too numerous.
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: If the bike is stock, the cassette is likely 8 spd (not 3 - 3 is the front chainring setup). all good...
Thanks for your input Yuri, good advice and I think you're right on the money on all your points. Like you said - I think I'll get some bigger tires to allow for some more rugged terrain, I did some quick googling and it can definitely fit 38-42mm tires. But might just try to use these 32mm tires for a little bit and then switch as it gets a little warmer and I want to go off trails more. Just to get some experience with both.

I'll definitely invest in a good locking system, and luckily have secured underground parking for bikes at my apartment building too.

Yes - it was 3x8 speed
Old 03-25-22, 11:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
The internets isn't really a fun place for those that get irked easily when they see something they don't like.
You seem a bit irked yourself.

If it were me, I wouldn't make an "if it were me I wouldn't" statement that implied they were doing something they probably aren't and doesn't really relate to what they asked.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.