Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hands go to sleep while Biking

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hands go to sleep while Biking

Old 05-16-22, 03:00 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Get some other bars too! Anything but straight bars.
Or, if straight bars, get some bar ends and like with drop bars, change your hand position often. I'm firmly convinced that bar ends are necessary on flat bars. I've ridden a lot of miles on a flat bar hybrid, and I always felt it in my shoulders & upper back. When I got bar ends, that pain went away.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 05-16-22, 03:03 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Tstelko
Not sure why my hands start to tingle and basically go to sleep while biking. I assume it’s a circulation issue but wondering how to minimize the issue.
Nerve impingement. You don’t provide enough information to suggest a specific solution but in general if you move your hands more it’ll happen less if you hold a fixed grip for long it’ll happen more. Straight mtn bike bars put your hands in an abominable position for riding in a straight line. So if you have straight bars consider extensions of some sort or conventional swept back “touring” bars If you have drops move your hands around more often. Of course gloves and grips help. If your arms are locked bend them and flatten your lower back a little. Cycling for efficiency/fitness think of suspending your upper body over the bars with your upper body dynamic and your hand grip floating occasionally.
Putting dead weight on the saddle or your hands isn’t good. Make your weight live. Tiny movements can make a huge difference.
Likes For LeeG:
Old 05-16-22, 03:05 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Or, if straight bars, get some bar ends and like with drop bars, change your hand position often. I'm firmly convinced that bar ends are necessary on flat bars. I've ridden a lot of miles on a flat bar hybrid, and I always felt it in my shoulders & upper back. When I got bar ends, that pain went away.
Straight bars was a straight copy of motorcycles with no consideration for cycling. They’re good for descending but that’s it.
Likes For LeeG:
Old 05-16-22, 03:10 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
Straight bars was a straight copy of motorcycles with no consideration for cycling. They’re good for descending but that’s it.
Take it from me, riding 50 miles with straight bars is rough. Only one hand position, upright, and as I said I felt it in my shoulders and upper back.
Old 05-16-22, 03:46 PM
Tstelko

Bikes: 1990 Nishiki Ariel 20" MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the feedback. 24 hour hold is over. Guess I have to be very selective on what/when I post.

Definitely going to monitor my positioning on my MTB. Yes, I have straight bars but will look into getting an add-on or completely different bars since the bike is primarily going to be used on a paved trail that just opened up near my home. It used to be old railroad tracks and now is a great trail through the middle of town. Not sure how long it goes but probably 20+ miles from end to end. Just need to stop at intersections which gets a bit tedious. I'm 53 years old and in decent shape but have had three lumbar spine surgeries in the last 7 years. Need to ease back into biking. If my body does not fail, I will most likely buy a road bike. There is a Play-Tri store in my town that I have yet to visit. Cervelo and BMC have models that seem to catch me eye at the moment.
Old 05-16-22, 06:25 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Since you mention you are using flat bars, try something like ergon grips with the integrated little bar ends.

In my experience, these can be just as good on long rides as drops.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-16-22, 06:52 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,071 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
At least 5 miles, but only if I'm knowingly/unknowingly tense.

Trek 800 Sport (intro level mtb) 18" frame.

5'11", 30 inches.

Physically fit for a 61 yr old. I don't get "gassed" till about 30-40 miles of street/MUP with mild to moderate hills.

Edit: before switching to Ergons, had generic round rubber grips. Without the flat platform, would get tingling sensations after just a few miles.
5 miles is early; if you'd said a couple hours then we'd be taking about tweaking your fit and moving hands from time to time. But 5 minutes, that's a different matter; something's wrong from the start.

Somebody mentioned sliding forward on the saddle; if that's happening, fix it with saddle fore/aft, saddle tilt, or with reach.

Wrist angle is a thing. If not neutral, fix it.

It there's too much weight on your hands, fix that. Again saddle fore/aft, bar drop, reach.

So you have the bars in a death grip? Fix that.

If all else fails, pay a fitting. Or just pay for a fitting from the get go.
Old 05-16-22, 07:09 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Yeah, I learned to relax in the saddle. The Ergon grips both flattened out my wrists and provided the bar ends for alt positions. Now it is not unusual to ride all day with no issues.