Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Omnium | White Industries Chain Issue

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 05-22-22, 09:59 PM
Cedwards2301

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey All,

I changed my chain myself for the first time and i'm getting a clicking/crunching could when i'm riding. I have a Omnium Crankset with a 17T White Industries Freewheel which I know is compatible with a 1/8 chain because that's what I had previously. Any idea why I might be getting this clicking/crunching sound when riding? Other than the sound everything else is fine.
Old 05-22-22, 10:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Do you have pictures? I would guess maybe you have chain tension issues or maybe something is worn out or you put the wrong chain on it or something odd like that. Pictures might help.
Old 05-22-22, 10:39 PM
Yune_Garage 

Bikes: Lugged Steel Single Speed Beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Cedwards2301
Hey All,

I changed my chain myself for the first time and i'm getting a clicking/crunching could when i'm riding. I have a Omnium Crankset with a 17T White Industries Freewheel which I know is compatible with a 1/8 chain because that's what I had previously. Any idea why I might be getting this clicking/crunching sound when riding? Other than the sound everything else is fine.
sounds like the previous member said, maybe the chain tension (usually crunchy if too tight and rattles when too loose) OR what it could also be is the freewheel and the chainring aren’t aligned with each other and the chain is at an angle when rotating.
Old 05-23-22, 05:49 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
I want to make sure I have this straight - you put a new chain on the chainring & FW that you had already been using, right? If so, and if as previously mentioned you have properly tensioned your chain there may be nothing you can do but tolerate a little bit noisy drivetrain for a while. First off - different brands of chains can make different amounts of noise. And when you put a new chain on drivetrain bits that were worn in by a predecessor they need a little while to used to each other before (hopefully) quieting down. Good luck...

Last edited by IAmSam; 05-23-22 at 05:54 AM. Reason: OCD
Old 05-23-22, 09:29 AM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
My guesses:
Chain is too tight.
Chainring and/or cog teeth became worn from the old chain and are now not conforming to the new chain.

Pics of current chain tension and close-ups of teeth would help.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-24-22, 12:20 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
White Industries freewheels don't have the best tooth wear characteristics. It's probably a symptom of worn teeth+new chain as Rolla said. It will lessen as the new chain wears in.
Likes For 50voltphantom:
Old 05-25-22, 06:42 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
White Industries freewheels don't have the best tooth wear characteristics. It's probably a symptom of worn teeth+new chain as Rolla said. It will lessen as the new chain wears in.
I’ve thought about WI freewheels

Wondered if they’re worthwhile if shimano or acs freewheels are fairly cheap and last pretty long.

Coworker gave me a bike thinking the freewheel was dead. I think I just kept dripping in ATF and spinning back and forth until tilting this way and that until the pawls freed up.

Finding SS bigger than 18t eludes me sometimes.
Old 05-25-22, 11:33 PM
Yune_Garage 

Bikes: Lugged Steel Single Speed Beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 86 Posts
I run a 17T White Industries freewheel with IRD cranks with zero noises, smooth and quiet.
Chain tension and alignment usually cause noises.
Likes For Yune_Garage:
Old 05-26-22, 08:51 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
I’ve thought about WI freewheels. Wondered if they’re worthwhile if shimano or acs freewheels are fairly cheap and last pretty long.
IMO, yes WI is a worthwhile upgrade. I've never had a Shimano or ACS that lasted at all, and every one of them had the trademark "clunk." Also, Box 2 makes a nice freewheel for a little less than WI. I've had one on my SSCX for a year or so; still in great shape.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-27-22, 08:51 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
OP, it might help if you could describe the noise a bit more precisely...but I'll throw this out there: when did you buy the WI 17t freewheel? I ask because until recently they were ONLY compatible with 3/32" chains. Only the more recent 17t from them is compatible with both 3/32" and 1/8" chains. Probably not the case, but if you have the old-style 17t freewheel and are mistaken about your last chain, that would be the issue now that you are running a 1/8" chain.
Old 05-27-22, 09:54 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Cedwards2301, you do know the correct chain slack I trust. (The chain should never go tight. At all points of the chain cycle - say a half dozen or more full revolutions of the pedal - you should always be able to lift the chain about 1/2".) Tight chains on single speeds have been a popular trend and it is possible to get bikes to work doing that but it is very likely that when the chain goes tight, you are grinding bearings or causing other steel on steel with force that were never intended to happen.

If you go to a velodrome and look at the very expensive bikes that they race, you will see loose chains on all of them.
Likes For 79pmooney: