Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New (to me!) Humber Sports

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-22, 11:11 AM
pottyguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Hi folks! Been lurking around these parts for months and found loads of useful info but finally posting myself. As a noob I can't post pictures yet or links yet unfortunately, but happy to share images in a creative way if anyone is interested.

I just came into an old Humber Sports that used to belong to my partner's father, who passed away earlier this year. I'm a daily commuter with a couple modern hybrids but until recently had zero experience with anything remotely vintage. It's been a bunch of fun getting it back into riding shape, and in the process learning a bit about the history of Raleigh (and related) 3-speeds, and trying to figure out some of the history of this particular bike. What I've learned so far is that hubs are usually a good way to date a bike, and this one indicates November 1971. I've no way of knowing if this is the original hub but I've also no indication it isn't, so this bike was probably made around then.

Some mysteries remain, though. My understanding from a ton of Googling is that Raleigh bike frames can often be dated by the location and format of the serial numbers. However, the seat lug on this bike has not one but two serial numbers stamped on it. One is prominently stamped on the side (19525AH), the other more faintly stamped across the top (3351756). Why would the same piece have been stamped twice? There's a label near the bottom bracket that says Made in Republic of Ireland. Does that make a difference?

Finally, I've also read that some Brooks B72 saddles can be dated by markings underneath. This one has only one prominent X on the right side.

Interested in what you folks think.
Likes For pottyguy:
Old 06-12-22, 11:29 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Welcome! Pic assist:
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 06-12-22, 11:34 AM
pottyguy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Appreciate the assist and also how did you do that?? Haha.

I did upload some pics in attempting to post (and also a whole "album") but I can't see how they're attributed to my username at all.
Old 06-12-22, 11:41 AM
FBOATSB

Even if you just attempt to post pics they are automatically captured by the bikeforums overlords and put in your personal Gallery. Where we can see them.
When you get to 10 posts you can post them yourself.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 06-12-22, 11:44 AM
FBOATSB

Your user profile has a six digit number that also corresponds to your gallery.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 06-12-22, 11:45 AM
pottyguy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Got it! Thanks much. The full "album" i managed to add appears to be unassociated with my (or any?) username but its number is 25293608 for anyone curious enough to track it down.

Last edited by pottyguy; 06-12-22 at 11:49 AM. Reason: adding album number
Old 06-12-22, 11:53 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 541 Posts
Welcome!

For more info you can do a general search, upper right corner, or you wade into the depths of the “For the love of English 3 speeds” thread. There are people there that have forgotten more than I’ll ever know.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 06-12-22, 12:00 PM
FBOATSB

Your gallery: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/25293996.
Take some good close ups of the headbadge and any graphics on the frame and chain guard, etc. Many municipalities required registration stamps on bicycle frames in the past; could explain the extra stamping.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 06-12-22, 12:04 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
This deserves a bigger photo

Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 06-12-22, 12:06 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 541 Posts
Clean bike! That front chainring is AMAZING!
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 06-12-22, 12:10 PM
pottyguy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks all, I uploaded more pics to the gallery linked above by FBOATSB . In a couple of them you can see kinda clearly at least part of both serial numbers on the seat lug. And yes, I love the chain ring too!
Likes For pottyguy:
Old 06-12-22, 12:59 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
‘71 seems likely to me based on the components. They went with a very plain chainring not long after. Is that an extra-long stem? If not, it’s likely raised beyond the safe limit.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 06-12-22, 01:05 PM
pottyguy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
‘71 seems likely to me based on the components. They went with a very plain chainring not long after. Is that an extra-long stem? If not, it’s likely raised beyond the safe limit.
Thanks for this note. It was actually quite a task to shimmy the stem out to a comfortable height for myself; it had been set as low as possible for probably the last 50 years. I haven't pulled it out all the way to see how long it is but I guess I should before I do any more long rides! Any tips on how to do this? Even with the lug fully loosened that thing is crazy tight.
Old 06-12-22, 02:17 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
If you were able to pull the stem up to that point, it will come all the way out with a bit more twisting and turning. Just some WD40 sprayed at the point where the stem comes out of the headset will help a lot. I assume you didn’t just loosen the stem bolt, but also gave it a whack? That knocks the wedge out of the bottom of the stem, making removal a far easier task!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 06-12-22, 05:45 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
Originally Posted by pottyguy
Thanks for this note. It was actually quite a task to shimmy the stem out to a comfortable height for myself; it had been set as low as possible for probably the last 50 years. I haven't pulled it out all the way to see how long it is but I guess I should before I do any more long rides! Any tips on how to do this? Even with the lug fully loosened that thing is crazy tight.
When you say lug, it sounds like the headset nut. Don't do that...just follow the above instructions to loosen the stem top nut, spray some lube, screw it out a half inch and then smack it back down with a mallet.
Likes For clubman:
Old 06-12-22, 06:49 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Looking at the paint, decals,components, etc I'd agree the 71 date seems likely original.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 06-12-22, 07:59 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
And it's a nice, pristine bike with proper crank to boot. Congrats.
Likes For clubman:
Old 06-12-22, 09:06 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,228 Posts
Very classic.
How does it ride?
Old 06-13-22, 03:31 PM
pottyguy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Very classic.
How does it ride?
it rides so darn beautifully. Stopping power isn't what I'm used to from a modern bike but I'm adjusting and taking it nice and easy.

Originally Posted by dedhed
Looking at the paint, decals,components, etc I'd agree the 71 date seems likely original.
Thanks! Yeah it basically had to be, I've done image searches for 1971 Humber sports and seen two other bikes with same color scheme and components. Just still mystified by the multiple serial number stamps, one of which seems to indicate an earlier vintage.

Originally Posted by clubman
When you say lug, it sounds like the headset nut. Don't do that...just follow the above instructions to loosen the stem top nut, spray some lube, screw it out a half inch and then smack it back down with a mallet.
So...I have to confess here that when I responded on this I was talking about my seatpost, which I did pull out a decent amount without checking how much was left in the tube so my mind just went there. I realized my mistake right after I responded but was then locked out of posting again, or even editing my post, because of the 5 posts in 24 hours limit. So embarrassing.

I haven't touched the stem at all, but now that it's been suggested I certainly will to make sure it's safe.
Likes For pottyguy:
Old 06-13-22, 03:45 PM
FrankDiscussion

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That is a beautiful classic 3 speed!
Old 11-08-22, 02:31 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by pottyguy
. . .

Some mysteries remain, though. My understanding from a ton of Googling is that Raleigh bike frames can often be dated by the location and format of the serial numbers. However, the seat lug on this bike has not one but two serial numbers stamped on it. One is prominently stamped on the side (19525AH), the other more faintly stamped across the top (3351756). Why would the same piece have been stamped twice? There's a label near the bottom bracket that says Made in Republic of Ireland. Does that make a difference?

Finally, I've also read that some Brooks B72 saddles can be dated by markings underneath. This one has only one prominent X on the right side.
Hello pottyguy and welcome to the forum.

The two serial numbers: Over the years of collecting Raleigh serial numbers I have seen several Raleigh manufactured bicycles with two serial numbers. Most if not all of these bicycles are from the time between 1960 (when Raleigh Industries was purchased by Tube Investments) and 1973-74 when Raleigh changed most of the serial numbering to a more uniform system.

Here is another Robin Hood with the same two types of serial numbers as your (edit Humber. not Rudge) :

Robin Hood from ketchupbikes

The Brooks B72: Generally Brooks saddles have a three character code stamped into the leather. Sometimes there is a code stamped into the metal frame

Photograph is from ebay.

This B72 frame is stamped A 73.

Last edited by Hummer; 11-08-22 at 10:21 PM. Reason: fix brand name
Old 11-08-22, 07:03 PM
pottyguy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks Hummer , appreciate your insight on the serial numbers!