Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Waterproof/resistant backpack recommendations?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-22, 03:03 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts

Hi!

I have a short commute and ride with a backpack during the sessions. I have a rear rack that I'm planning on putting a wald-esque low basket on to be able to put my backpack on there with a net around it so I don't get a nice case of sweaty back. Ideally, I'd want something waterproof/resistant in case I get rained on a bit. My current chrome backpacks are pretty big and just wouldn't work well in the basket and it doesn't make sense to throw a huge basket on there.

So does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally, I'd like to be able to fit my laptop and charger, a notebook, some food, and a change of clothes/sunglasses.

I have panniers for the bike, but they're really not convenient for this purpose off the bike. A pannier backpack could be an interesting solution, but I haven't really seen one that would fit my use case well.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-28-22, 03:11 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3410 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
IMO, the best cycling backpacks are made by Ortlieb. I commuted with one for several years.

One of their day packs ought to suit your commuting needs. Waterproof, like all Ortlieb gear.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-28-22, 03:16 PM
m.c. 

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
I'd start with looking for a waterproof computer backpack. If it were me I'd want to shop for the part that protects the computer first and then look at other features.
Likes For m.c.:
Old 07-28-22, 05:00 PM
RH Clark

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 255 Posts
Roll top dry bags are very cheap and likely more waterproof than anything else. Just strap it down. No need for a backpack if you aren't carrying it on your back.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 07-28-22, 09:29 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Ortlieb is great for a double strap backpack style. I prefer the one strap messenger bags. I have several Timbuk2 bags, one of which has a built in laptop compartment. Perfect for your needs.
Old 07-29-22, 05:33 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Plastic kitchen trash bags....that's what I do.

You'll notice there are holes where the D-clips meet the bungee cords. After a few uses I change bags.

If you don't want to use such a wasteful disposal method, there are more permanent backpack covers. for sale.

By the way, this is how I carry my backpack on all my racked bikes.

Old 07-29-22, 06:03 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
I use a trash compactor bag as a liner inside my backpack or pannier.
Old 07-29-22, 07:21 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by m.c.
I'd start with looking for a waterproof computer backpack. If it were me I'd want to shop for the part that protects the computer first and then look at other features.
Fair enough! Thanks for the tip. I guess I could always also use a water resistant sleeve for the laptop but that should be a backup imho.

Originally Posted by RH Clark
Roll top dry bags are very cheap and likely more waterproof than anything else. Just strap it down. No need for a backpack if you aren't carrying it on your back.
The chrome backpacks are roll tops, though one has an annoying habit of working itself open. I think I need to clean off the velcro and maybe have a clasp stitched on to keep things closed.

I need the backpack part because I need to walk with the dang thing. I'll often stop for groceries etc on the way home.

I'm still trying to figure out how to mount the tray so I can still mount the panniers without an issue.

Originally Posted by krakhaus
Ortlieb is great for a double strap backpack style. I prefer the one strap messenger bags. I have several Timbuk2 bags, one of which has a built in laptop compartment. Perfect for your needs.
I can't ride with a messenger bag anymore sadly. It bothers my back to walk around with one.
Old 07-29-22, 07:28 AM
m.c. 

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Fair enough! Thanks for the tip. I guess I could always also use a water resistant sleeve for the laptop but that should be a backup imho.

There are several computer backpacks on Amazon that say they are waterproof.
Likes For m.c.:
Old 07-29-22, 09:31 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche

The chrome backpacks are roll tops, though one has an annoying habit of working itself open. I think I need to clean off the velcro and maybe have a clasp stitched on to keep things closed.

I need the backpack part because I need to walk with the dang thing. I'll often stop for groceries etc on the way home.

I'm still trying to figure out how to mount the tray so I can still mount the panniers without an issue.

I can't ride with a messenger bag anymore sadly. It bothers my back to walk around with one.
Yea, that makes sense. I might still put my expensive electronics inside a dry bag inside the backpack. It might save it if you get caught in very hard rain.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 07-31-22, 05:28 PM
bikehoco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Try a water repellent like ScotchGuard.
Old 08-01-22, 08:38 AM
WilliamT

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 63 Posts
Arkel makes backpacks that converts to panniers. They also have commuter bags that have pannier attachments.
Bike Panniers (arkel-od.com)
They have the Haul-It pannier that you can throw your backpack in too

Last edited by WilliamT; 08-01-22 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-01-22, 07:18 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
When I used to commute on motorcycle ( in the rain ) everyday with my mac laptop I used kriega.com . Mine was the roll up kind to keep the rain out.
They make great products.
Old 08-04-22, 07:27 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

I ended up buying a chrome barrage backpack off ebay which looked like it was either NOS or slightly used. Price was right. I'm going to try fitting a wald 585 basket or such to the top of the rear rack so I can just drop the bag in with a cargo net on top. I think this should work out okay! Ordered a new saddle too which will secondarily help with clearance as well (i think).

The basket will also help with grocery runs since I don't carry my panniers with me all the time.

In my search, I also found this line of backpacks which looks really good and pretty dang well priced! Thought it might help someone else looking.

https://craftcadence.com/collections/backpack