Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Gran Sport city bike conversion

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Raleigh Gran Sport city bike conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-22, 12:36 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by d2702
If you can afford it, is it really a mid-life crisis? Sounds more like a mid-life opportunity.
Well spoken!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 08-17-22, 01:51 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie

Chrome baby! Kind of a rare model, built this up with a 2 speed kickback hub, vintage Bluemel fenders, upright bars, and Urban Adventure League approved coffee holder.
Glad to know it's UAL approved. I use the same vessel (not pictured) in the leather-trimmed cage on my International to carry my artisanally-brewed, locally-roasted, single-origin to work. I'm confident it's also certified by the Association of Caffeinated Wheelers...

Old 08-17-22, 03:12 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 6,675 Times in 2,607 Posts
I discovered some years back that the Contigo travel mugs fit perfectly in a bottle cage.

Likes For nlerner:
Old 08-17-22, 03:19 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,373 Times in 1,579 Posts
I've got a gaggle of Gran(d) Sport(s). The reason? When I was 15 I wanted one. I grew up on a farm, and worked all summer feeding hay to heifers to save up, but didn't have enough shekels at the end of the summer for a GS, so I setted for a Raleigh Super Course MkII. My townie friend Bob was given a Gran(d) Sport(s) for his birthday that summer.

One definition of a mid-life crisis is buying a bunch of whatever you desired but could not afford back when you were a kid.
I was fortunate to be able to buy a Gran Sport as a teen, and rode it for 14 years! As suggested the paint scheme was lovely, but honestly, that description applies to quite a few Raleighs of the mid 70's.

Still, all of that time spent staring at the Raleigh catalogs did have an effect on me. No wonder that it was a bit past my 40th birthday when these beauties found their way into my hands...

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-17-22, 03:33 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by ascherer
Glad to know it's UAL approved. I use the same vessel (not pictured) in the leather-trimmed cage on my International to carry my artisanally-brewed, locally-roasted, single-origin to work. I'm confident it's also certified by the Association of Caffeinated Wheelers...

Looking out the window from the garden st Cafe this morning.... Non Raleigh content.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 08-17-22, 04:41 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Wow, some spectacular bikes in this thread.
This is all just repeating what's already been said, but if the Stronglight BB is good (and unless it spent time submerged or something, it should be), keep it- they're strong and bulletproof! And it'd be a crime to ditch the beautiful Stronglight crankset! Throw some Kool Stop pads on the Weinmanns and they'll be about as good as any rim brake.
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 08-17-22, 06:24 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
I often wonder why these classic bikes get seemingly random "upgrades". There are multitudes of 1980's Japanese road bikes out there that are better built than those old Raleigh's and are perfect candidates for "upgrading".

It must be about the paint job.

@branko_76, can I ask you to expand on your question posed above? Are you concerned that the original Raleighs are being "diluted" by all the alteration to other purposes? Would you prefer that the bikes were kept in their original configurations?

I agree, there are bikes built later that, mostly from Japan, have better and more consistent brazing, finishing and are plentiful. Why not mess with those instead?
Old 08-17-22, 06:51 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
Originally Posted by daka
@branko_76, can I ask you to expand on your question posed above? Are you concerned that the original Raleighs are being "diluted" by all the alteration to other purposes? Would you prefer that the bikes were kept in their original configurations?

I agree, there are bikes built later that, mostly from Japan, have better and more consistent brazing, finishing and are plentiful. Why not mess with those instead?
Because Bob didn't get a cool Japanese bike for his birthday in 1975, so I wasn't lusting after them.
Old 08-17-22, 08:50 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by daka

For the most part, I restore old bikes. If a part is broken, I search my stash or ebay and find a replacement. Sometimes I'll upgrade with a "period correct" part such as alloy rims to replace chromed steel rims. If the original paint is trashed, then I'll use whatever parts make sense, for instance, I won't install Campy components on a Hi-Ten steel frame.

90% of my riding is for commuting, running errands, etc. so I don't need high performance components. The run of the mill derailleurs, brakes, etc. from the 1970's work perfectly after they have been overhauled, I don't fuss over performance specs.

I have nothing against people customizing their vintage bikes to suit their particular needs, especially those who, like me, have been riding bikes regularly for decades. We know what we want and need.

My question was to the OP who has a fine example of a vintage bike and by the nature of his questions seems relatively new to working on and possibly riding vintage bikes yet has made it clear that he is unhappy with certain aspects of the bike, not sure why.

With the exception of the handlebars, which I understand aren't for everyone, and possibly the Simplex FD (if cracked) replacing any of the other components won't necessarily make the bike better

Now I plan to convert it to a more upright riding position and change out some of the parts

Derailleurs and shifters are unappealing so they're going. What would be a good replacement?

Stronglight crank and chainring - staying (I think)

Stronglight bottom bracket - worth keeping? It looks like its in good shape. Should I clean it and reinstall or is better to replace?

Handlebars and shifters - gone. I'm thinking about something like the Granola bar from VO. Anyone opinions on those?

Weinmann 750 brakes - safe? better to replace? I'd rather not be maimed in the name of period correctness.

Seatpost (can't tell what it is but the clamp is Ideale) - worth keeping?

GB quill stem - like the look of it, I'd like to keep it, if it fits with the new handlebars
Old 08-17-22, 10:29 PM
raleigh76

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Thanks! Tires are 33mm Soma Supple Vitesse. Fenders are SKS.
Did you have to do anything special to get 33s fit with those fenders in the front? Thanks!
Old 08-18-22, 04:39 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
These are great bikes, but yes, the paint job is also excellent! Mine has always been a favorite in the pack. I think it may be in part from it being a bit heavier and the relaxed geometry… it’s just really pleasant to ride.

Stronglight crank and bottom bracket was high end stuff. I’d strongly recommend keeping it. It even has a chainring guard to keep your pants leg clean. You can also remove the guard and convert to a triple.

For derailleurs, Suntour! VGT-luxe, VX-GT Cyclone… lots of great options there.

The brake calipers are tried and true. Get some kool stop pads. They are safe to use.

Brake levers, don’t throw them out. Those Carlton levers hold some value to Raleigh collectors. The hoods are indestructible.

Downtube shifters, yeah ditch them. Suntour bar ends are my go-to, even on upright bars.
I know it's the color that attracts me to these bikes, and the great ride they give. I put Suntour Cyclone and bar ends on mine, and kept the Stronglight crankset. Love this bike.

Likes For 76SLT:
Old 08-18-22, 05:04 PM
d2702

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 21 Posts
Looks beautiful, thanks for sharing the pictures. I'll go hunting for a Suntour V-something or a Cyclone this weekend.
Old 08-19-22, 10:19 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Well... since everyone else is posting pictures, Ill join in. This is an old photo, but not much has changed. I have had simplex, cyclone, VGT derailleurs on there. I checked last night, it's back to the VGT-luxe. The biggest change is now the bar tape looks like holy hell.

"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Likes For mkeller234:
Old 08-19-22, 11:20 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 6,675 Times in 2,607 Posts
Originally Posted by raleigh76
Did you have to do anything special to get 33s fit with those fenders in the front? Thanks!
No, no mods needed, but those tires measure 31mm on Sun CR18 rims. Here’s a pic of the crown spacing:

Old 08-19-22, 02:56 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Another fan of 33.333's. I've found that 35's are a tight fit if you use fenders on a GS.

We are particular about our fenderlines in the PNW. 33.333 with Velo Orange 45mm wide 700c Facetted Fenders
Old 08-19-22, 05:04 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,373 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
Well... since everyone else is posting pictures, Ill join in. This is an old photo, but not much has changed. I have had simplex, cyclone, VGT derailleurs on there. I checked last night, it's back to the VGT-luxe. The biggest change is now the bar tape looks like holy hell.

white Blumel fenders? Nice!
I've got a spare set of white Blumel Popular fender purchased when the LBS was cleaning out their basement. Still wondering what to do with them. They do seem like they would be rather fragile. BITD, I had some aluminum Blumel "Lightweight" fenders on my Gran Sport. All I remember is that they made a lot of noise. In retrospect, I think they must have been rather nice.

Also... you get extra credit for the Huret Multito odometer! Does it have an Ant+ connection to the power meters in your pedals?
I've stuck with an intermediate point in technology, using Avocet computers on my vintage bikes. Yeah, the battery has to be replaced annually, but no software updates are needed and there's no need to pair it with anything else on the bike. I do like the speedometer function too.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-19-22, 11:52 PM
raleigh76

Another fan of 33.333's. I've found that 35's are a tight fit if you use fenders on a GS.

We are particular about our fenderlines in the PNW. 33.333 with Velo Orange 45mm wide 700c Facetted Fenders
Does the GS frame have an eyelet on the chainstay bridge? the spacing and lines looks perfect. I own a Sports, so I'm unfamiliar. Thanks!
Old 08-19-22, 11:54 PM
raleigh76

Originally Posted by nlerner
No, no mods needed, but those tires measure 31mm on Sun CR18 rims. Here’s a pic of the crown spacing:

Thanks for this! Gives me hope for my setup even though the fork is different. I'm aiming to run a similar fender/tire size.
Old 08-20-22, 08:06 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Does the GS frame have an eyelet on the chainstay bridge? the spacing and lines looks perfect. I own a Sports, so I'm unfamiliar. Thanks!
To get those fenderlines, cheated. I have a torch.

But one can get pretty good lines on a non-butchered frame as well.

The chainstay bridge has a hole in it.

I can't remember if the chainstay bridge had a hole in it to bolt the fender up, or if I drilled it in myself.
Old 08-20-22, 11:32 PM
raleigh76

To get those fenderlines, cheated. I have a torch.

But one can get pretty good lines on a non-butchered frame as well.

The chainstay bridge has a hole in it.

I can't remember if the chainstay bridge had a hole in it to bolt the fender up, or if I drilled it in myself.
Love the photos in that link are great, amazing work!
Likes For raleigh76:
Old 08-21-22, 07:05 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
It sure looks to be in good shape! I do believe 3-speeds with 27" rims were available in the 1950s. I have a later Raleigh Gran Sport which is still N.O..S. out of the box with all the original packaging ties still in place. Amazing, but true! Someday I'll get the nerve to snip the ties and do the final assembly. Should be fun to feel the freewheel lock into place for the first time!
Likes For cycleheimer:
Old 08-21-22, 03:04 PM
geluzj

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Grand Sports; 1998 LeMond Zurich; 2003 Redline Conquest Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 9 Posts
@d2702 I can't wait to see the build. I did a city build for my '72 Grand Sports. Here it is from today's ride, wearing 38c Soma Supple Vitesse tires for the first time.

I went mostly newer Shimano: Dura Ace centerpulls, rear derailleur, cassette/hubs, bottom bracket, Ultegra crankset, 600 shifters. Brooks supplies the contact points. I had to replace the fork with a no-name chrome model.
Likes For geluzj:
Old 08-21-22, 03:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
@nlerner makes a good point about how you could get weird handling with an upright bar. I can't figure out why it happens only sometimes. But front end handling is a black art, and Raleigh is known for building bikes with imprecise measurements. I have a 1973 Raleigh International. When it had upright bars, it was fine. I have a 1971 Raleigh Super Course, and when it had upright bars, the steering was very floppy. I didn't mind although it was really noticeable. I loaned the bike to a friend, and he wobbled off with difficulty controlling it. On his way home, he crashed it. So try it but understand you may not like the result.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 08-21-22, 04:46 PM
d2702

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 21 Posts
Excellent looking bike geluzj . If mine comes out looking anything like yours I'll be a happy rider.

What handlebars are those? I'm looking forward to trying something with more sweep. Curious to see how comfortable I find them.

As for components I've got the Stronglight all cleaned up and reassembled. The BB is ready to go back on. I snagged an early generation Suntour Cyclone for the rear derailleur. Thought I found a good candidate for the FD but the clamp is too big, serves me right for not checking it. So I'll probably hunt down a cyclone front and I like the look of your Tektro levers, I'll see if those will work with the original brakes.
Old 08-21-22, 07:12 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by noglider
@nlerner makes a good point about how you could get weird handling with an upright bar. I can't figure out why it happens only sometimes. But front end handling is a black art, and Raleigh is known for building bikes with imprecise measurements. I have a 1973 Raleigh International. When it had upright bars, it was fine. I have a 1971 Raleigh Super Course, and when it had upright bars, the steering was very floppy. I didn't mind although it was really noticeable. I loaned the bike to a friend, and he wobbled off with difficulty controlling it. On his way home, he crashed it. So try it but understand you may not like the result.
It's amazing to me how often upright bars work on sport bikes. It's almost all I ride now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.