Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Blue bike Justice

Old 09-09-22, 09:59 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Blue bike Justice

Ok, I admit it. I am a curmudgeon. There's NOTHING wrong with the existence of blue bikes. I actually think their existence is a positive thing.
But I couldn't help but be amused by this smashed one. Even though there's nothing funny about a car jumping the curb and smashing a parked bike.
So, blue bikes (and other bikes rentable bikes parked on city streets) are a positive thing.
however...
I commute often to my job in Boston, from Waltham, a just under 10 mile ride. Don't see many blue bikes until I get close to where I'm going.
My commute takes me partly on roads, and partly on a MUP next to the Charles river. When I get to into the Boston's back bay, I got off and go a half a mile or so down Massachusetts ave (one of the main roads in the area) to my job. There are bike lines on this very busy street...I've been commuting there since 1999, the lanes are from the last few years. I have a bit of ambivilence about them.
Anyway, blue bikes are fine, but there's a certain percentage of those who ride them, maybe 10%, maybe more, who: ride like idiots, and/or thoughtless jerks.
If you want to endanger your own life fine, but when you make me feel less safe....
In fact, on this half mile stretch of road (where I bike, walk and drive a car) I see cyclists doing many, many amazingly stupid and dangerous things. So it's not just blue bikes: it's experienced cyclists (I assume) being reckless and too fast for the environment.
And then: there are all of the other motorized devices I come across. Scooters, skate boards...I don't know what you call the wide board thing with the big roller in the middle. I've never ridden a scooter, powered or not, so maybe I'm wrong, but to me: it looks like the rider is even more vulnerable than a cyclist. I've nearly been plowed into by a number of those damn things. Plus, every once in a while, some joker will join the bike lane on a Vespa, or a motorcycle.
All in all, I was more happy when that stretch of road DIDN'T have bike lanes. Like i said: I am a curmudgeon.

Old 09-09-22, 10:25 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
i am failing to see the justice of a car smashing into a properly/legally parked bike-share bike.
Old 09-10-22, 06:38 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9524 Post(s)
Liked 6,267 Times in 3,455 Posts
Blue bikes are the bestest.
Old 09-10-22, 06:44 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
The driver had no animosity towards the Blue Bike. He was merely driving a Tesla, needed a charge, and attempted to hook up to the bike charging station, drive-thru style.

That's his story, and he's sticking to it.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 09-10-22, 09:38 AM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
What's your favorite color? Mine's probably red.
Old 09-10-22, 09:44 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
So......... I'm guessing you don't like share bikes?

Old 09-10-22, 12:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
Ok, I admit it. I am a curmudgeon. There's NOTHING wrong with the existence of blue bikes. I actually think their existence is a positive thing.
But I couldn't help but be amused by this smashed one. Even though there's nothing funny about a car jumping the curb and smashing a parked bike.
So, blue bikes (and other bikes rentable bikes parked on city streets) are a positive thing.
however...
I commute often to my job in Boston, from Waltham, a just under 10 mile ride. Don't see many blue bikes until I get close to where I'm going.
My commute takes me partly on roads, and partly on a MUP next to the Charles river. When I get to into the Boston's back bay, I got off and go a half a mile or so down Massachusetts ave (one of the main roads in the area) to my job. There are bike lines on this very busy street...I've been commuting there since 1999, the lanes are from the last few years. I have a bit of ambivilence about them.
Anyway, blue bikes are fine, but there's a certain percentage of those who ride them, maybe 10%, maybe more, who: ride like idiots, and/or thoughtless jerks.
If you want to endanger your own life fine, but when you make me feel less safe....
In fact, on this half mile stretch of road (where I bike, walk and drive a car) I see cyclists doing many, many amazingly stupid and dangerous things. So it's not just blue bikes: it's experienced cyclists (I assume) being reckless and too fast for the environment.
And then: there are all of the other motorized devices I come across. Scooters, skate boards...I don't know what you call the wide board thing with the big roller in the middle. I've never ridden a scooter, powered or not, so maybe I'm wrong, but to me: it looks like the rider is even more vulnerable than a cyclist. I've nearly been plowed into by a number of those damn things. Plus, every once in a while, some joker will join the bike lane on a Vespa, or a motorcycle.
All in all, I was more happy when that stretch of road DIDN'T have bike lanes. Like i said: I am a curmudgeon.

When you woke up this morning , did you remember posting this self-negating nonsense?
My only reaction to that picture is hoping the maniac who drove into that was caught and didn't hit any people. You might want to reflect on why that scene causes you to reflect on the safety performance of bicyclists rather than drivers, what you wrote here is a really weird stretch. And the thread title is a real pos.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-10-22, 01:03 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,359 Times in 2,034 Posts
The buildings don't like them here.

​​​​​​https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...kee/663826002/
Old 09-10-22, 01:13 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts

So how do you feel about the 71% who drive like that? Do you feel car-justice when drivers go smashing into each other sometimes taking along with them pedestrians and cyclists who had nothing to do with drivers teaching each other lessons?

"Nearly all Americans (97%) rate themselves as “careful” drivers, but feel that only 29% of fellow drivers merit the description."

viewfinder.expedia.com/news/expedia-2015-road-rage-report-texters-enrage-fellow-drivers-most-edging-tailgaters-and-left-lane-hogs-on-list-of-most-deplorable-driver-behaviors/amp/
Old 09-10-22, 04:26 PM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by Daniel4
So how do you feel about the 71% who drive like that? Do you feel car-justice when drivers go smashing into each other sometimes taking along with them pedestrians and cyclists who had nothing to do with drivers teaching each other lessons?

"Nearly all Americans (97%) rate themselves as “careful” drivers, but feel that only 29% of fellow drivers merit the description."

viewfinder.expedia.com/news/expedia-2015-road-rage-report-texters-enrage-fellow-drivers-most-edging-tailgaters-and-left-lane-hogs-on-list-of-most-deplorable-driver-behaviors/amp/
I don't like them either. Have did you get that percentage?
Old 09-10-22, 08:48 PM
Daniel4

I don't like them either. Have did you get that percentage?
100-29= 71 not careful drivers
Old 09-10-22, 11:22 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i am failing to see the justice of a car smashing into a properly/legally parked bike-share bike.
Couldn't agree more! Another ******* cager on the phone? Or a drunk? Or just another incompetent morAn behind the wheel.

I've always wondered if drivers' insurance is ever charged for when idiots fly into and damage public infrastructure such as this. (Now don't get me wrong, I'm not naieve enough to think this driver actually STOPPED and reported the wreck to the authorities! Hit-N-Run most certainly.) But for when the lunatics are identified and it's learned that they'are actually licensed, registered and insured drivers, do they have to pay the cost to fix smashed guard rails, bus stops, light poles, telephone poles and the like?

Highly doubt it.
Old 09-11-22, 05:28 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,359 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
Couldn't agree more! Another ******* cager on the phone? Or a drunk? Or just another incompetent morAn behind the wheel.

I've always wondered if drivers' insurance is ever charged for when idiots fly into and damage public infrastructure such as this. (Now don't get me wrong, I'm not naieve enough to think this driver actually STOPPED and reported the wreck to the authorities! Hit-N-Run most certainly.) But for when the lunatics are identified and it's learned that they'are actually licensed, registered and insured drivers, do they have to pay the cost to fix smashed guard rails, bus stops, light poles, telephone poles and the like?

Highly doubt it.
Most government entities, if they have the offenders information, will file a claim for reimbursement. Particularly if it is a high cost or labor item like a fire hydrant, traffic signal, or power pole. Your basic "no parking", speed limit etc sign isn't worth the administrative cost.
But, reality is, at least around here, that often the vehicle is stolen or the driver is uninsured. Can't get blood from a rock.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 09-11-22, 07:48 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM

Highly doubt it.
They do, at least when I worked for a municipality. We had one accident where a driver took out a 'Stop' sign and a 'No Parking Between XX & XX Hours' sign. She got billed for the replacement of both, and that include the cost of labor to dig out the old signposts and install new ones. The posts are usually made of square bar stock with holes drilled in them (for bolts) for east replacement, but the old posts were too badly damaged all the way to the ground level to cut off the old metal posts and simply attach new ones with a spliced so they had to be fully replaced.
Likes For skidder:
Old 09-12-22, 04:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Daniel4
100-29= 71 not careful drivers
A classic garbage in/garbage out statistic.

How do you know that this number is the right one? 97% said they're careful, so that leaves 3%. How do you decide which of those numbers are accurate? Spoiler alert--these impressions are meaningless.

BTW, that bs survey appears to have been taken down, your link is busted.

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-12-22 at 04:11 AM.
Old 09-12-22, 05:32 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 244 Posts
Hmmm, seems like tongue-in-cheek posts are not appreciated by 33% of people replying (not considering off-topic posts or posts replying to other replies).
Likes For noimagination:
Old 09-12-22, 08:08 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
I'd have been more amused if the bikes were red, or green, or whatever but still called "Blue Bikes". Which raises a different question: Is blue a universal color for bike-share bikes?

Ours here in Chicago are blue also, albeit a different shade.

Old 09-12-22, 08:31 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
Hmmm, seems like tongue-in-cheek posts are not appreciated by 33% of people replying (not considering off-topic posts or posts replying to other replies).
When it comes to statistics, 33% of people will comment, while the other 82% can't be bothered with math.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 09-12-22, 08:43 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 215 Posts

I have a blue bike and I am an idiot, and/or thoughtless jerk. BUT, I don't ride like one.
Old 09-12-22, 09:31 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
I rather like bikeshare bikes (traditional non-motorized) in certain situations (well, at least the convenience of the programs…maybe the bikes leave a lot to be desired. But at least they’re “any port in a storm” rideable.) When I’m traveling and don’t have the opportunity or convenience to ride a more suitable bike…I’ll get one if they’re available. I’ve received some interesting comments while riding them: “Wow! I’ve never seen one of those bikes so far away from the city.” And “Where did you rent that eBike from? (me) It’s not an eBike. Damn! How’d you make it go so fast?

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 09-12-22 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-12-22, 09:41 AM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
When it comes to statistics, 33% of people will comment, while the other 82% can't be bothered with math.
I think I fall in that 15% category. I sometimes make my comment but can't or won't get engaged in long drawnout futile distracted discussions.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 09-12-22, 10:40 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Are those Blue Bikes bike share bikes or do you have to rent them?
Old 09-12-22, 10:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by noimagination

The difference is the off-topic posts and some of the replies are actually funny. The original post, on the other hand, is not. And yeah, suggesting that smashing a bike and charging station with a motor vehicle is somehow "justice" pisses me off.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-12-22, 10:51 AM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by GeezyRider

I have a blue bike and I am an idiot, and/or thoughtless jerk. BUT, I don't ride like one.
I feel certain that you know I was NOT talking about bikes painted blue, and that you're just funning' with me.
Old 09-12-22, 10:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Are those Blue Bikes bike share bikes or do you have to rent them?
https://www.bluebikes.com/

It's really an impressive system that gets used a lot and covers several cities in the Boston area. Part of the reason the thread pissed me off is I see a lot of people using this for transportation.
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.