Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-22, 10:22 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Out riding the backroads to Martinez, CA. Hamming it for the camera and centering my bike in the labyrinth...

Old 10-15-22, 05:16 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by djkashuba
One of my favorite Fall rides:
Sweetwater Springs Rd. by djk762, on Flickr
Sweetwater Springs Rd./Motobecane by djk762, on Flickr
Sweetwater Springs Rd./Motobecane by djk762, on Flickr
Beautiful... I had to look up Monte Rio, because I had never heard of it. Deep in the heart of wine country, I see. Even the wood buildings age elegantly there. Why, oh why did I ever leave California?

Do you get snow during the winter? I've been having fantasies of choosing that ONE bike that I just can't live without, loading it into my old Nissan Quest, and exploring this "Van Life" thing I've been reading about. Then Mrs. C snaps me out of my reverie with the reminder that she ain't dead yet. "This van's not big enough for the both of us!" (Yeah... I know. )

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Likes For DQRider:
Old 10-15-22, 07:45 AM
djkashuba 

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
Beautiful... I had to look up Monte Rio, because I had never heard of it. Deep in the heart of wine country, I see. Even the wood buildings age elegantly there. Why, oh why did I ever leave California?

Do you get snow during the winter? I've been having fantasies of choosing that ONE bike that I just can't live without, loading it into my old Nissan Quest, and exploring this "Van Life" thing I've been reading about. Then Mrs. C snaps me out of my reverie with the reminder that she ain't dead yet. "This van's not big enough for the both of us!" (Yeah... I know. )
No snow here. Occasionally frost. Cool sea breeze most evenings. Get a larger van!
-D
Likes For djkashuba:
Old 10-15-22, 08:58 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend
Wildfire smoke is expected to get really bad this weekend and I expect there will be no riding.
So I took the sparkly bike out for a short ride today, Better than nuth'n I guess...
Middle fork by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
I really like the bike looks great. I can feel for you on the smoke I have to deal with every other day for the past couple of Summers and the fire season seems to be getting longer well into Fall.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 10-15-22, 11:21 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,640 Times in 2,602 Posts
Second real ride on a new project: Fitz 700c all-rounder steelie. I have it set up with Shimano 9-speed bar ends, V-O 46/30t crank, Soma Vitesse 700 x 38mm tires. Felt super comfortable. I look forward to all-day rides next season. Lots of beautiful leaf color today and diffused light.

Old 10-15-22, 11:29 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Originally Posted by djkashuba
No snow here. Occasionally frost. Cool sea breeze most evenings. Get a larger van!
-D
The fact is, NO van is big enough for the both of us. I guess when you live in happy-land, dark humor doesn't always register...

Likes For DQRider:
Old 10-15-22, 12:11 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Kobe
I was just talking to my wife about doing this trail tomorrow.
Did you explore the Ironton? Not an epic ride but full of history and a pleasant trail. Perfect weather too.

We went up to the AT and scrambled around on Bake Oven Knob.
Old 10-15-22, 02:39 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 2,782 Times in 531 Posts
I headed over to the free Frieze sculpture fair in Regents Park today. I pass through Leake St tunnel in Waterloo on the way.

And a wander around the park reveals....

There's a number of funny signs...

This made me think of the line from the scene in 'Planes, trains and automobiles', "They're not pillows!"

Old 10-15-22, 05:22 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Took an interesting 30 mile ramble around Portland today. First point of interest were the downtown streets blocked off for Biden's motorcade. I didn't get to see it, but a friend who was a few blocks away sent me this pic. My god, what an ugly vehicle!

After a spin through Forrest Park on cross bikes, my friend and I stopped by the Chris King open house. We forgot to bring a lock, so we took turns gawking at the fancy stuff, and keeping an eye on our own bikes. I was sitting on some steps enjoying my free beer, when I looked over and realized there was a Merz locked up next to me.

Only now, looking closely at the photo, did I realize it was a very large Merz with pedal extenders. Hmmm, know anybody that rides one of those?
Old 10-15-22, 06:30 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by botty kayer
I headed over to the free Frieze sculpture fair in Regents Park today. I pass through Leake St tunnel in Waterloo on the way.
And a wander around the park reveals....
There's a number of funny signs...
This made me think of the line from the scene in 'Planes, trains and automobiles', "They're not pillows!"
Well, you certainly get it, don't you? You have mastered the art of the urban travelogue to the point where vistas containing mountains or seascapes are not necessary to compel interest and enjoyment. Of course, you live in a place where that kind of artistry thrives without suppression by the PTB. Thanks for sharing! This is as close to an international vacation as I am likely to get.

Likes For DQRider:
Old 10-15-22, 07:35 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
20 mile shakedown on a new build. Weather was fantastic!

2022 Jeff Lyon

Saw my camel friend for the first time in awhile.

Last edited by fender1; 10-15-22 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-15-22, 07:36 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts

Last edited by fender1; 10-15-22 at 07:40 PM.
Likes For fender1:
Old 10-16-22, 01:58 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 2,782 Times in 531 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
Well, you certainly get it, don't you? You have mastered the art of the urban travelogue to the point where vistas containing mountains or seascapes are not necessary to compel interest and enjoyment. Of course, you live in a place where that kind of artistry thrives without suppression by the PTB. Thanks for sharing! This is as close to an international vacation as I am likely to get.
I don't think I've mastered anything other than maybe cycling which I seem to have got the hang of over the years. But thank you. As I've only managed to get out of the city twice so far this year, I also travel vicariously through the pics in this thread.

Here's Dr Samuel Johnson's house,....

....who famously said "when a man is tired of London he is tired of life..." and thankfully 200 or so years later that is still the case, so I've plenty more stuff to share.

I'm sure Dr Johnson would think there's far too many automobiles today, and I'd like to think he would have much preferred to explore by bicycle, the best way to see any city.
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 10-16-22, 09:13 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,463 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Out riding the backroads to Martinez, CA. Hamming it for the camera and centering my bike in the labyrinth...
Great photo James!
If you didn't already have such a perfect avatar photo I'd suggest you use this one.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 10-16-22, 10:04 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Originally Posted by obrentharris
Great photo James!
If you didn't already have such a perfect avatar photo I'd suggest you use this one.
Brent
I have to admit that the bike felt unusually comfortable on my shoulder. Must be hangover from my G-man days.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 10-16-22, 11:37 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Today mrs non-fixie and I chose to do a classic Dutch Sunday activity: a bike ride in our national park De Hoge Veluwe.

Weather was nice, with temperatures in the low sixties. Nice when the sun was out, a bit less nice when it wasn't.

Lots of cycle paths here, some wider than others. The plowing results left and right were made by wild boar.

The A1 highway:

Behind those bars is an army shooting range. Last time I was here was in 1981, learning how to operate an Uzi, as part of my mandatory military training. Time flies ...

Lunch!

Luckily it wasn't too busy today. But this is what those cycle paths look like on a normal Sunday:

Yes, it's October:

Sand drifts near Kootwijk:

We passed by the old Radio Kootwijk building. Cathedral would be a better word:

Radio Kootwijk was built some hundred years ago for radio communications between Holland and the Dutch East Indies:

Old 10-16-22, 12:23 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
We need some more info on this lunch! I think I get what's going on, but not entirely!

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Lunch!

Old 10-16-22, 06:16 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Had a lot planned for the day so I went out early while it was still only in the 40s. So the temp may not have been warm but the rising sun light was. Snapped more pictures than I realized today. I took out the Peugeot again this morning and even did some light gravel riding with it. Who's say tubulars are fragile, LOL!

Old 10-17-22, 10:06 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
Today was my last ride for a while. I had an easy 25 miles via Woodward Park out past the suburbs and back. I'm scheduled for surgery tomorrow and don't expect to be cleared to ride for at least 3-4 weeks. The temperature today reached the mid 80s and I rode in shorts and short sleeves, but my next ride will undoubtedly be in long sleeves and long tights.

Likes For Straightblock:
Old 10-18-22, 01:58 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobLee
We need some more info on this lunch! I think I get what's going on, but not entirely!
Ah, yes! The cheeseburger on the left you may or may not have recognized, was for mrs non-fixie. My share was made up of these two local delicacies:

On the left a patat met, which translates into "fries with". "With" meaning "with mayonnaise", and preferably lots of it. Other condiments lead to different names for the dish.

On the right a Frikandel speciaal. A frikandel is a deep-fried skinless sausage of sorts. Claimed to contain meat, but nobody really knows for sure, and if so, what meat that would be. Speciaal refers to the way it is prepared and served: the frikandel is slit lengthways before frying. After, this slit is filled with mayonnaise, sweet curry sauce and raw onions. It tastes better than it sounds and looks. It actually tastes fabulous after a long night with slightly too many adult beverages.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 10-18-22, 08:41 AM
curbtender

Originally Posted by Straightblock
Today was my last ride for a while. I had an easy 25 miles via Woodward Park out past the suburbs and back. I'm scheduled for surgery tomorrow and don't expect to be cleared to ride for at least 3-4 weeks. The temperature today reached the mid 80s and I rode in shorts and short sleeves, but my next ride will undoubtedly be in long sleeves and long tights.

Heal well.
Old 10-18-22, 12:06 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Ah, yes! The cheeseburger on the left you may or may not have recognized, was for mrs non-fixie. My share was made up of these two local delicacies:

On the left a patat met, which translates into "fries with". "With" meaning "with mayonnaise", and preferably lots of it. Other condiments lead to different names for the dish.

Likes For thinktubes:
Old 10-18-22, 04:21 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Very nice Fall day took a short ride on the Raliegfh MT-200 on local trails. All the leaves are off the Aspens here and the flowers are gone with no snow in the near future so I expect a Fall of mostly grey and brown.

Likes For zukahn1:
Old 10-18-22, 06:47 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
I'm becoming well aware that these wonderful days of perfect weather are fast coming to an end, so I'm eager to get out and turn the cranks. I don't even need long rides nor epic adventures. Just the simple pleasure of a very well tuned C&V machine gliding silently thru the dry air under a warm sun (though the definition of "warm" is declining each day). Its all relative. 40degF to start out today but I got my layers right so I was very comfortable. Toured the SRT and a bit of the Schuykill River Trail West - a section of trail on the West Bank of the river in King of Prussia that had been growning over the past few years but was just connected to the main trail network in August. It ties in at VF Park's Sullivan Bridge and provides another 4.5 miles of trail (9 miles round trip) that I can access. More route options each year.

Old 10-19-22, 08:41 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
20 mile shakedown on a new build. Weather was fantastic!

2022 Jeff Lyon

Saw my camel friend for the first time in awhile.

Pretty much perfect. It has the vintage look without the need to engineer modern parts to it. That Suqino crankset it beautiful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.