Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

@nlerner visits the PNW...and wants to ride to Canada

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-22, 06:16 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts

Neal's a college professor in Boston. A few times a year he attends conferences, which is how I first met him in person 5 years ago. Of course we got the PNW gang together and did a ride, which @Andy_K and I now call the Neal Lerner Invitational route. I got an email from Neal at the end of August, looks like he's up to his old tricks - getting someone else to pay your way out to a great riding area. This time it's Vancouver, B.C. for another conference. Flights from Boston are a PITA, so he says, but bicycles can cross the border fairly easily now that we've been in a COVID lull for awhile. Why not fly into Seattle and ride up?

Well, I'm still a working stiff and don't have a lot of vacation time saved up, so we work out a play where we meet in Seattle on a Friday night, stay a couple of days in the city and do some of @northbend's favorite rides, then head north. Some of the usual suspects were contacted, and a dual-Capo scheme is proposed. I'm planning the Seattle bit (got a sweet AirBnB reserved), which takes us from Friday, Oct. 21, leaving Monday, Oct. 24 where I pass the planning to Neal. He's got hotels and a house reserved for the 3 day trip from Seattle to Vancouver.

We've got a gaggle of BFer's signed up to come with. Some will come just for the weekend, others will do the weekend routes plus ride to Bellingham and peel off to get back to Seattle, a few will follow Neal all the way to Vancouver.

Neal is usually a lucky charm to keep the rain away, but as of today it's looking like his streak may be over.

Fenders. Raingear. Chain lube.

First two days on the weekend are blue and red. From there it's head north using Washington State's excellent ferry system to keep it interesting.

Here's the lineup:
@Andy_K Weekend in Seattle only
@SquireBlack Weekend in Seattle only
@VRJAKE all the way up to Bellingham
@rccardr all the way up to Bellingham - Doc is flying in from back east Friday
me up to Bellingham
@nlerner, full monty - flying in from back east Friday
@northbend will commute in from Northbend, Washington to lead us out on some of his favorite rides, then head north all the way to Vancouver. At least that's what I think his plan is.

There'll be planes, trains and automobiles used to help get us around. As usual there's a lot of moving parts. It's the height of audacity to plan a ride for late October between Seattle and Vancouver.

As usual, I encourage those along the route to join in even if only for part of the day.
Old 10-15-22, 06:29 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Very ambitious! Maybe my favorite part of this country! Wish I could be there. Hope you won't run into too much smoke.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 10-15-22, 07:07 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Hope you won't run into too much smoke.
Well, here's what it looks like right now:
Fresh air moves in! by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
The wind picked up this afternoon and cleared things out nicely. I won't be too disappointed if the weather pattern does change to a normal seasonal pattern of wet-ness. Better on the lungs anyway.
Old 10-15-22, 07:56 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
I suspect fenders will be required.
Old 10-15-22, 08:34 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
I probably don't need to say this but I'll say it anyway. If you're coming up to Vancouver on your nice bikes, be sure you have a place to secure them as we have a fairly high rate of bike theft. Of course some spots are hotter than others but even out at UBC you hear stories of bikes getting stolen. Even new buildings with secure bike parking find out it's not really that secure. Those angle grinders really make short work of any lock.
Old 10-15-22, 09:08 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Have fun kids!!! 😁

I've only been up to Bellingham once, working as a mover's helper, so didn't get to look around much. 🤔 Been through Marysville & points South pretty good though.

Are youse going through downtown Seattle? When I was up there last December, they were making pretty good progress on that waterfront bikeway. It's always gonna be crowded there, but should be a lot better now, if it's done. 👍
Old 10-15-22, 09:32 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
That is a bunch of C&V.... have fun guys. Any ferry rides involved? should throw one in for the fun of it

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 10-15-22, 10:24 PM
Duke7777

Bikes: 48 Alleluia, 52 Blondin, 57 Cattaneo, 68 CNC, 55 Dujay, 46 Herse, 76 Singer, 48 LeGreves, 55 Metropole, 62 Holdsworth Cyclone, 49 Carpenter, 55 Condor, 65 Masi Special, 81 Sequoia, 76 Eisentraut, 72 Proteus, 60 Paramount, 77 Trek TX700, 82 Ross

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 55 Posts
Ride to Vancouver

If you are going to be doing any riding around Vancouver, I would be interested in joining you. We have a vintage ride every Saturday, and any of you still in town by then are welcome to join us.
Likes For Duke7777:
Old 10-16-22, 06:04 AM
rccardr 

Ready for the rain. Hopefully it will move off before we arrive.
I mean, a boy can dream.
IMG_6338 by Doc Mertes, on Flickr
Old 10-16-22, 09:59 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
I ride in Canada all the time (during the warmer not snow covered months) and love it. I live in Northwestern Ontario, in an area covered by the Canadian Shield. The Canadian Shield is a huge area of land that is the Earth's crust bare. Yup, lots of areas of solid earth's crust not covered by dirt, or grass, or bush or trees, although there are a lot of lakes. I ride through gorgeous scenery and love every minute of every ride...

Old 10-16-22, 10:20 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 145 Posts
Being a native Vancouverite, I wish you well. I moved out of town to Vancouver Island a couple of years ago to escape the god-awful crowding and congestion in the Lower Mainland, and the terrible traffic. Of course I was usually cycling and managed to avoid the traffic jams. We've had a crazy drought which is set to continue until the end of next week, then we'll probably have biblical flooding.
Likes For VtwinVince:
Old 10-16-22, 01:07 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
... It's the height of audacity to plan a ride for late October between Seattle and Vancouver.
Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that. I suspect that the TdMIL during the last week of December trumps that on the audacity scale, at least as far as the weather gods are concerned.

Sounds like a fun, though wet, trip. I'd love to join in the fun but my schedule's a bit full. I'll provide a burnt offering to the weather gods to see if they'll stave off their wrath until after the ride.
Old 10-16-22, 06:33 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,270 Times in 1,272 Posts
Yea, I have family on Vancouver Island up around Sooke . After the end of August all bets are off. It is some of the most beautiful country , but……
Old 10-16-22, 07:23 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke7777
If you are going to be doing any riding around Vancouver, I would be interested in joining you. We have a vintage ride every Saturday, and any of you still in town by then are welcome to join us.
Brian,
nlerner is the only one that will be around on Saturday - he's taking the 5:45pm train to Seattle that evening. It would be really cool you two can meet up and Brian can show you his basement bike collection.
Neal, look at Duke7777's signature line and you'll have some idea of you'll see in the basement of wonders. I bought my Hobbs from Brian back in Nov 2015 and was fortunate to see his collection when I travelled to Vancouver to pick it up..
Old 10-16-22, 09:31 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke7777
@Duke7777, I’ll send you a PM to see if we can arrange something. I have to admit, however, that I won’t be on a vintage bike:

Old 10-16-22, 10:48 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
I'm interested, but [1] I'm ashamed to admit that I don't have a fendered C&V bike set up at the moment and, more importantly, [2] have family duties with a three-year old. So maybe only shorter segments and if this unseasonable weather holds.

I am near the airport, though, if anyone needs help with logistics. I have a fair tool collection and bike stand, but not many of the specialized bits.

Dfrost might be interested, if he's in town.
Old 10-17-22, 08:45 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
No ride for me, I'm in out of town celebrating 30 years of having a Mrs. 66.

Good luck with the weather, I would think there is a good chance of lightning storm if it rains. It's been so dry there is a lot of static after dry periods.
Old 10-17-22, 10:08 AM
semroc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 62 Posts
Have a great ride everyone. I live in Port Townsend. I could meet up and ride with you for a ways.
Old 10-17-22, 10:42 AM
nlerner

Originally Posted by semroc
Have a great ride everyone. I live in Port Townsend. I could meet up and ride with you for a ways.
We'll be there on Monday, 10/24, staying overnight and then heading to Bellingham the next day. You can ride with us on the way in, on the way out, or just drink beer with us Monday evening.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 10-17-22, 10:45 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 145 Posts
Since July we've had 6mm of rain, a tiny fraction of what we normally have, and air quality is in the crapper right now due to multiple forest fires. I haven't been out for a real ride due to the air conditions.
Old 10-17-22, 11:28 AM
rccardr 

My understanding is that The Deluge will begin right about when we arrive.
You’re welcome.
Old 10-17-22, 05:04 PM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 140 Posts
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/wa/seattle

Keeping track o d forecast. Couple days minimal rain (well, we in PNW consider anything less than 0.2" but a trace...). What's in your rain kit?
Old 10-17-22, 05:26 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by VRJAKE
What's in your rain kit?
Rain jacket, waterproof mitts, booties, and jacket. Got me through the 2021 TdMIL deluge.

Based on what I'm seeing, I'll probably ditch the SPD pedals, go platform, and wear my waterproof Chrome mid-tops, which is my go to shoes for winter commuting.

If it's just light showers I'll typically wear wool knickers, long sleeve wool jersey, and whatever gloves make sense.
Old 10-17-22, 05:58 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by VRJAKE
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/wa/seattle

Keeping track o d forecast. Couple days minimal rain (well, we in PNW consider anything less than 0.2" but a trace...). What's in your rain kit?
I'm borrowing my wife's fancy gortex rain jacket. Woot!
Old 10-17-22, 06:09 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 227 Posts
This is a lovely route. Vancouver is actually easier to get around by bike than car, as some have noted. And yes, be very careful of your security, especially near Hastings Street. Our hotel let us bring bikes to our rooms last time, its worth asking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.