Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITYs for Mr & Mrs Downeastter

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

New LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITYs for Mr & Mrs Downeastter

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-22, 01:09 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
I should have updated this thread once we returned from our summer RV/Bike trip. Sorry about, unpacking, setting up home, getting the motorhome ready for storage and of course Hurricane Ian all got in the way.

We left home in Florida on June 10th for a 10 week bike/camping trip. The trip included over 6000 miles on the motorhome and over just 2000 miles on the bikes. We try to only drive between 200 - 400 miles/ day after a morning walk and bike ride. Getting into a campground early enough to enjoy an adult beverage before dinner. Trying to find campgrounds near on on rail trails. I should also mention that I’m 73 and we ride about 6000 miles/year my wife and I have been riding together for over 50 years and I’ve been living with class one heart failure for the past 12 years or so. Have had an ICD (implatable cardioverter-defbrillator) for the past 10 years.

The bikes lived on either the back or the RV (most of the time) or the smart car (toad) for trips from the campground to the trail head. They were not ever covered during travel times but exposed to the elements. One of the reasons for buying these bikes was to have ones that could “do it all”. Instead of carrying both a set of road bikes and a set of mountain bikes as we have done in the past. If you have read through this thread you know that the bikes have been set up differently than stock and the plan was to switch tires as needed for our non-pavement rides. Our road bikes, Canyon Roadlite 9LTDs and our mountain bikes Mongoose Pro Triomphes stayed at home. The Cherohala City bikes preformed well beyond my expectations. And I didn’t even change out the tires. In fact I sold them on ebay once we returned home as I don’t see us needing any other tires other than the Schwalbe G-One Speed 300mm’s that have become our all around tire.

Our trip included riding on these trails (there are a few pictures included). First stop Jekyll Island, Ga for getting use to the bikes on a nice slow pace riding around the island. It’s also a place where you can jump on the trail right from the Jekyll Island Campground. Next up Virginia Capital Trail/ Jamestown Island loop. This is one of our favorite areas for biking and EATING. We stay at the Chickahominy Riverfront Park which is owned by the county and right on the trail. From Va we head to Hancock, MD to ride the Western Maryland Rail Trail and part of the C&O Trail. Then off to Southwick, MA for the rail trail systems near by which include The Southwick Rail Trail, the Columbia Rail Trail and the Farmington Canal Rail Tail. This is followed by a week on Cape Cod riding the Caped Cod Rail Trail and Canal Trail. We stay at Sweet Water Campground in Brewster which has access to CCRT.

A quick stop at Jekyll Island

Jamestown Island Loop eagle stop

Max, our towed, at one of the trailheads for the Farmington River Canal Rail Trail

At that point we head to our old home… Maine. specifically Bar Harbor area. We lived in the Bangor area for 50 years or so. Nice to come back…. For the summer that is don’t do snow anymore! Anyway we live for riding the wonderful trail system at Acadia National Park. Oh and the food at “Two Cats” (https://twocatsbarharbor.com). Off to Burlington, VT for a week riding on their trail system. It’s another place where you can ride right from Burlington’s North Beach Campground. The Island Line Trail features a spectacular causeway into Lake Champlain with the option to taking a bicycle ferry to continue riding.

On top of Parkman Mountain in Acadia National Park on part of the carriage road system

Heading out into Lake Champlain on the Island Line Trail, Burlington, VT

When it was time to leave New England for our slow drive back to FL we headed to Lake George, NY for riding the Warren County trail system. We finished up in Newburgh, NY to do the Hudson River Skywalk and it’s associated trails. After that we simply headed back home with stops in MD, VA, and Jekyll.

Midway on the Skyway Over the Hudson in NY

The bikes themselves did everything we asked of them. The only service required was a cable adjustment to the rear derailleur while in CT after about 500 miles. Other than that nothing. They returned home is basically the same shape they started out in. They are currently hanging around the garage waiting for our next trip which before Ian was to be our standard fall trip to the keys and Sanibel Island.

In summary if you are looking for the ultimate hybrid bike that (now I’m really showing my age) “can take a licking and keep on ticking” look no future than the Litespeed Cherohala City. Yes it’s expensive but you get a hell-of lot of bike for your money.
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 10-18-22, 10:29 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
DowneasTTer I'm interested to hear more about your experience on the VA capital trail in and around Jamestown. It looks like my oldest daughter may be going to Christopher Newport University next fall, which isn't far from the Williamsburg/Jamestown terminus of that trail. Is Jamestown Island itself open for biking -- the whole car loop?
Old 10-18-22, 01:44 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
DowneasTTer I'm interested to hear more about your experience on the VA capital trail in and around Jamestown. It looks like my oldest daughter may be going to Christopher Newport University next fall, which isn't far from the Williamsburg/Jamestown terminus of that trail. Is Jamestown Island itself open for biking -- the whole car loop?
So they are technologically two parts the Va Cap Trail and the Jamestown Island Loop. Both are great rides. We love the Island Loop early in the morning as the Loop and Visitor's Center don't officially open until the 8-9 am timeframe so no cars. The loop is only 5 miles long but very peaceful, full with wildlife and a few stops of historical significance. The Cap trail while mostly follows the road is a great ride. Lots of history along the trail. It's quite flat from Jamestown to Chickahominy Riverfront Park. At that point there are a some hills going into Charles City Court House and becomes quite hilly as you continue into Richmond. Be sure to take your bike it's a must ride for just the history itself. Enjoy. Oh and don't forget to stop in the Spoke&Art for a quick stop. https://www.spokeandart.com
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 10-20-22, 08:33 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
What a great way to do a lot of riding and seeing the country! I'll be mentioning this to my wife to see if she would be interested.

Do you have a picture of the complete set up (RV, Toad and bikes)?
Old 10-20-22, 09:28 AM
DowneasTTer

Originally Posted by Kobe
What a great way to do a lot of riding and seeing the country! I'll be mentioning this to my wife to see if she would be interested.

Do you have a picture of the complete set up (RV, Toad and bikes)?
You know I should have taken one this summer but didn't. However, I do have a picture of our older set of bikes on the toad with the motorhome at our favorite campground in the Keys a couple of years ago
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 10-20-22, 09:44 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
I like that you kept everything fairly compact.

That view is pretty amazing.
Old 10-29-22, 02:30 PM
DowneasTTer

Well since our usual Sanibel Island fall trip is out due to Hurricane Ian we decided to take a week and head back to Jekyll Island for some riding and eating... and drinking of one of my favorite craft brews.

The bike trail on the south side of the island away from the beach area. Very peaceful.

Back from the Jekyll Market with a couple of six packs. See the Litespeeds are earning there keep. This is one of our best campsites @ the Jekyll Island Campground.

The stash!!

Great birding this trip. On the path to the Clam Creek fishing pier. While we have seen many birds on the island in the past, this is the first time we have seen a Spoonbill there. Looks like he/she has been enjoying the great GA shrimp.
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 11-03-22, 01:22 PM
hokiefyd 

Only slightly related: how does LiteSpeed pronounce this model name?

chee-row-HAY-la?

cheh-row-HA-la?

Hard "ch" sound to start, or soft "sh" sound to start?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 11-03-22, 02:14 PM
DowneasTTer

Well the Cherohala is named after the Cherohala Skyway. see https://cherohala.com An internet search turned this up: cheh·ruh·hay·luh
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 11-03-22, 02:23 PM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
And near Tellico Plains is Indian Boundry camp ground, bike loop.and lake beach.
Old 11-03-22, 05:19 PM
hokiefyd 

Interesting! Wikipedia says it's a portmanteau of Cherokee and Nantahala, which makes sense for cheh-ruh-hay-luh.
Old 11-05-22, 09:49 AM
DowneasTTer

Well the day has come..... after the LiteSpeeds have proven themselves to be great all around travel bikes for our RV/Biking trips we find that we no longer need/use our Mongoose Pro Titanium Triomphe Hardtail Mountain Bikes so on to Facebook Marketplace they go. Sad to sell them as they are handmade in the US just like the LightSpeeds and have a lot of memories of them but just don't have room for three sets of bikes in the garage.

Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 11-05-22, 12:25 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 241 Posts
I've been curious to hear the difference in the riding position between the Roadlites and Cherohalas. Any thoughts?
Old 11-05-22, 01:26 PM
DowneasTTer

Originally Posted by Trav1s
I've been curious to hear the difference in the riding position between the Roadlites and Cherohalas. Any thoughts?
The Roadlites are more road bike stance with a lower stack. BTW there with the one piece stem/handlebar and the OEM cut of the fork there is little one can do to heighten the bars. That said they are our favorite bikes and more comfortable than the Litespeeds. Stock the Litespeeds are more casual riders. I haven't played with the bar height yet.
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 11-05-22, 03:44 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
The Roadlites are more road bike stance with a lower stack. BTW there with the one piece stem/handlebar and the OEM cut of the fork there is little one can do to heighten the bars. That said they are our favorite bikes and more comfortable than the Litespeeds. Stock the Litespeeds are more casual riders. I haven't played with the bar height yet.
Thanks for your input. The Cherohala is pretty close to my current bike which is interesting to me. I can definitely see the road bike design in the Roadlite.