Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravel clipless pedals - Looking for recommendations?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-22, 11:42 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 441 Posts

I'm looking for a decent pair of clipless pedals for gravel. I prefer a 1 sided SPD pedal with the other side flat for those times I need to be unclipped like on narrow single track. Most the pedals I've found are a bit too wide for my taste (seems optimized for MTB riding) and I've had my pedals scrape the ground on road curves. Also many SPD pedals seem quite heavy, so I wouldn't mind something that's at least sub 300g for the pair if possible. Thanks for any recommendations!
Old 10-20-22, 11:57 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,793 Posts
I prefer XTR trail pedals. These are double-sided, but if you have to unclip, they are still rideable.

On another bike (my touring bike), I have FUNN Mamba one-sided clip pedals. The other side is flat with pins. They sound like what you are asking for. I find them slightly narrow, but maybe that too might suit you. There are two sizes. Getting below 300g isn't going to be easy.
https://www.funnmtb.com/products/mamba-s/
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 10-20-22, 12:36 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I prefer XTR trail pedals. These are double-sided, but if you have to unclip, they are still rideable. On another bike (my touring bike), I have FUNN Mamba one-sided clip pedals. The other side is flat with pins. They sound like what you are asking for. I find them slightly narrow, but maybe that too might suit you. There are two sizes. Getting below 300g isn't going to be easy.
Yeah, I'm having a more difficult time finding the right pedals for my gravel bike. I've tried quite a few, but none really hit the mark. I'd really like a lightweight narrow platform style SPD pedal that's somewhat lightweight. I'm currently using cheap nylon SPD pedals right now and they comes in at 340g, but I'm surprised there aren't other variations on pedals that are tailored towards gravel riding. The lightweight SPD pedals are seem more road oriented (1 sided similar to SPD SL/Look Keo) and the platform style SPD pedals seem overbuilt to suit MTBs.
Old 10-20-22, 01:11 PM
BJack312

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 20 Posts
You might want to check out the Shimano PD-EH500 pedals. They are SPD on one side and Flat on the other. I have a set on my Stages smart bike in case someone without bike shoes want to ride.
Old 10-20-22, 07:47 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I'm looking for a decent pair of clipless pedals for gravel. I prefer a 1 sided SPD pedal with the other side flat for those times I need to be unclipped like on narrow single track. Most the pedals I've found are a bit too wide for my taste (seems optimized for MTB riding) and I've had my pedals scrape the ground on road curves. Also many SPD pedals seem quite heavy, so I wouldn't mind something that's at least sub 300g for the pair if possible. Thanks for any recommendations!
That part is a tall order. Even XTR Race pedals are a tad over 300g -- and the type of pedals you're after will be heavier.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-20-22, 10:46 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by Koyote
That part is a tall order. Even XTR Race pedals are a tad over 300g -- and the type of pedals you're after will be heavier.
Actually I think I might have just found the pedals! They're Xpedo single-sided SPD pedals and come in at sub 300g. Though I can't seem to find them sold in the US, but they can be purchased from AliExpress.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832688682928.html?

I'm currently using the Xpedo magnesium alloy Look Keo pedals on my road bike and they work great. They come with a sealed bearing axles and the overall quality is quite nice. The build on the SPD pedals looks to be similar to my road pedals. I believe the Xpedo line is Wellgo's more premium set of pedals. I'll probably order a set, though I'll still check to see if there are any local sellers.
Old 10-20-22, 10:56 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
PD-ES600 is what you're looking for if you want light, tough, clipless pedals with great ground clearance that aren't pure road pedals. I use mine for gravel riding that often goes into singletrack and they're great, have held up just fine in spite of many rock strikes and scrapes. They don't have a platform, but in my opinion if you don't have the skills to be comfortably clipped in on rough terrain, you're not a rider who needs to care about saving a relatively small amount of weight at your pedals - get pedals that suit your riding needs as your top priority, there are much better places to look for weight savings.

Last edited by lasauge; 10-20-22 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-20-22, 11:43 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by lasauge
PD-ES600 is what you're looking for if you want light, tough, clipless pedals with great ground clearance that aren't pure road pedals. I use mine for gravel riding that often goes into singletrack and they're great, have held up just fine in spite of many rock strikes and scrapes. They don't have a platform, but in my opinion if you don't have the skills to be comfortably clipped in on rough terrain, you're not a rider who needs to care about saving a relatively small amount of weight at your pedals - get pedals that suit your riding needs as your top priority, there are much better places to look for weight savings.
I've looked at those and they don't really appeal to me, They remind me of my SPD-SL pedals I have laying around. I might as well ride those to get better foot retention and carry my cleat covers with me when walking.
Old 10-21-22, 06:19 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I've looked at those and they don't really appeal to me, They remind me of my SPD-SL pedals I have laying around. I might as well ride those to get better foot retention and carry my cleat covers with me when walking.
I’m not sure I follow what you’re saying here, particularly vis-a-vis your OP, but maybe the 286g Shimano A600, which has an extended body (compared to ES600) might be of interest.

I’ve had them for many years, used them for winter gravel riding, and like them, although they’re not really suited for pedaling on the underside, unclipped, if that’s what you want to do.

It’s almost easier, because of the pedal weighting, to just hit the topside with the shoe toe and stay out of the clip, at least that’s what I’ve found with my stud-mount equipped Northwave Celsius Arctics. I can’t recall exactly, since I don’t need to ride unclipped very often, but the unclipped grip between that shoe and pedal is pretty decent.

Last edited by chaadster; 10-21-22 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Added: weight
Old 10-21-22, 07:13 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
I had some of the single sided pedals and pedaling on the flat side was less than ideal. Cleats hit the pedal.
I'm not sure why I got them anyway, I clip in on single track. I just make sure it's easy enough to clip out.
Old 10-21-22, 07:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
I have the Shimano A530 pedals on my gravel bike and also on my commuting bike because they are the two bikes I ride with my kids on in town rides and I will often wear running shoes.
They weigh 380g and are no longer made, but the EH500 model already mentioned replaced the A530 and is improved in that it offers pins.

The A530 has been great for me- I think each set is 6 years old and both were purchased used. 0 thought and 0 maintenance is how I determine if a pedal is great.

Interesting that Wellgo owns Xpedo, I didnt realize that and learned it from your ali link. Looks like you found some pedals that fit your wants.
Old 10-21-22, 07:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
I have the old model of this, A600, on my main road bike. They chip paint if you look at them sternly and are terrible to use unclipped since there is no platform side. I wouldnt want to ride 1mi in them unclipped, much less ride 100 feet of sketchy singletrack unclipped.
Agree that there are better places to look for weight savings...and if the OP wanted to stay clipped in the whole time then es600 or A600 pedals would be great since the A600 weigh 290g.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-21-22, 01:56 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I'm late to this thread - but if anyone is considering XTR pedals they should google "XTR pedal seal" and read about this issue. I have a pair of XTR pedals that I got in 2020 and one of the seals is failing on them already. They still work fine and I've not noticed any bearing issues, but I'm sure it's coming.

XT's are half the price, only 32g heavier and are pretty much bomb proof. I've had a pair of XT's on another bike for at least 6 years and they still work perfectly. I will likely buy XT's for all my bikes moving forward.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-21-22, 03:02 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Probably not what you are looking for, but when I use an spd on one side pedal that has a cage or a platfom on the other it is the Shimano PD-M324 SPD. I only use the one sided spd cage on the other for bikes I might ride with non dedicated bike shoes, something I very seldom do. the 324 are heavier than you desire and have a cage rather than a platform. They are a decent pedal. I have had a set on a beater bike in the past and currently have them on my folding bike.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 10-22-22, 08:05 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I am not necessarily suggesting others should do as I do, but I am presenting this as food for thought.

My personal experience is that the times when folks "need to be unclipped like on narrow single track" are the very time I mosr desire the security of being clipped in. I really feel much more secure on technical stuff if clipped in. I have found that with practice it takes no longer to put a foot dow from a clipped in pedal, but it is much easier to lose footing on a non clipped in on when going over rough terrain or tough obsticles. I like single release cleats set the release up fairly tight, but if necessary to feel safe using a multi release cleat and setting the pedal release mechanism up loose might allow staying clipped in.

For me the cage side of the pedal is just for when I want to wear non bike specific shoes.

Again just food for thought.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 10-22-22, 07:36 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
I’m a big fan of Crank Brothers eggbeaters. Have them on all my bikes, road, mountain, and gravel. They’re all sub 300g too. Eggbeaters
Likes For sarhog:
Old 10-23-22, 04:23 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'm late to this thread - but if anyone is considering XTR pedals they should google "XTR pedal seal" and read about this issue. I have a pair of XTR pedals that I got in 2020 and one of the seals is failing on them already. They still work fine and I've not noticed any bearing issues, but I'm sure it's coming.

XT's are half the price, only 32g heavier and are pretty much bomb proof. I've had a pair of XT's on another bike for at least 6 years and they still work perfectly. I will likely buy XT's for all my bikes moving forward.
You can poke the seals back in place with a tiny eyeglass-type flat screwdriver blade. I warrantied a pair before I came across that. I agree it is a design flaw, but at least there is a simple solution.

XTs have a higher stack height, which bothers my previously busted ankle a lot. But for most people, XT is probably the sweet spot. I have trail rather than race XTR pedals, FWIW. The cage can really help if you need to be unclipped for something sketchy.
Old 10-25-22, 01:48 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 281 Posts
Not exactly what you're looking for but I'm fond of the Look X-track pedals since they can be used with SPD cleats...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 10-26-22, 12:33 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts

i was going to mention that; several reviews point out that for both types, trail or XC, the XT range is bearly heavier than the XTR range. Xt and xtr are equally good at clipping in mud.
the difference is what they call stack, the pedal thickness. But, that’s a couple of millimeters which most people cannot notice (people get used to the garmin spd stack which is much thicker).

personnaly; I like the XT, they work well, clip well and firmly, don’t jam (unclip quickly when needed).
the M540 are good too.

on my other bike, i run old M520 from the part bin and I run 1side with the shimano platform. This has 2 advantages: i can obviously pedal with on side as flat pedal but also, thanks to gravity, the clipless side is always up so it is easy to find and clip in.
Old 10-27-22, 05:39 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 52 Posts
Origin8 Dual Sport SPD comes in at 295g per pair.
Old 10-28-22, 08:08 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentuz
i was going to mention that; several reviews point out that for both types, trail or XC, the XT range is bearly heavier than the XTR range. Xt and xtr are equally good at clipping in mud.
the difference is what they call stack, the pedal thickness. But, that’s a couple of millimeters which most people cannot notice (people get used to the garmin spd stack which is much thicker).

personnaly; I like the XT, they work well, clip well and firmly, don’t jam (unclip quickly when needed).
the M540 are good too.

on my other bike, i run old M520 from the part bin and I run 1side with the shimano platform. This has 2 advantages: i can obviously pedal with on side as flat pedal but also, thanks to gravity, the clipless side is always up so it is easy to find and clip in.
I have two CX bikes with identical saddle heights/placement, one with XT and one with XTR and I can confirm that the difference in stack height between the two is not perceptible for me.

I can also confirm that the M540 is a great option. They're a bit heavy, but they work just as well otherwise as XT/XTR's.

The only time I struggle with Shimano SPD's is in CX races that require running in sand. The sand gets packed in around the cleats on my shoes, and makes it difficult to clip back in. I'll sometimes have to knock my foot against the side of the crank/pedal a few times to knock the sand out, then it'll clip in. This is a super specific CX race situation though... and probably would be a factor with any pedal. (Also possible that different shoes might shed packed sand better than my SIDI's).
Old 10-31-22, 05:38 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts

The only time I struggle with Shimano SPD's is in CX races that require running in sand. The sand gets packed in around the cleats on my shoes, and makes it difficult to clip back in. I'll sometimes have to knock my foot against the side of the crank/pedal a few times to knock the sand out, then it'll clip in. This is a super specific CX race situation though... and probably would be a factor with any pedal. (Also possible that different shoes might shed packed sand better than my SIDI's).
Crankbrothers will still clip in for this specific type of issue, I tried racing them for a season but hated the feel and the bearings failed after a couple months and I went back to shimano SPD.
Likes For redlude97:
Old 10-31-22, 05:48 PM
jonathanf2

Just reporting back. I've decided to keep my current budget nylon SPD pedals. They're not the lightest at 340g, but being nylon I've scraped them on rocks and other surfaces and they manage to stay looking decent (unlike alloy pedals when they get scruff'ed). I've opted to buy some lightweight single sided Wellgo Xpedo SPD pedals that come in at 245g for those times I'll be predominantly riding road or light gravel.
Old 10-31-22, 10:54 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Crankbrothers will still clip in for this specific type of issue, I tried racing them for a season but hated the feel and the bearings failed after a couple months and I went back to shimano SPD.
You might want to try Time pedals next time you get curious. They have the mud/sand/whatever shedding ability of cranksbothers but are also super reliable.
Likes For Canker: