Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

nite riders?

Old 10-24-22, 08:25 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
+1 to the advantage of low traffic at night.

I used to ride to work frequently when I was on 2nd shift (2p-11p) The midnight ride home was far less stressful than the daytime ride in; even in the heavily developed suburban/commercial areas I traveled. Way easier to deal with the 4- and 6-lane parkways, particularly the massive intersections, when you’re only dealing with 3-4 vehicles, rather than dozens coming from all directions.

Most of my route was lit, to one extent or another, so my on-bike lighting was more to “be seen” than “to see with”

I also liked to go out late for fast-paced tempo rides. There’s a couple nearby neighborhoods that were great for doing intervals, but were only accessible by a 1/2-to-1-mile run down a very high-traffic 6-lane that would be crazy dangerous under normal operating conditions
At 12a-1a; you might get passed by half a dozen cars, but they can see you a 1/4-mile off, and they can pass with a whole lane to spare
That's the beauty of lights. Flash is "to be seen", steady light is "to see with".
Likes For Attilio:
Old 10-25-22, 09:07 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by capejohn
In Providence R.I. we have a monthly night ride on the third Friday. Usually around 200 hundred show. This Friday October 22, Providence Bike Jam has the annual Halloween Ride. Below is a good representation of the monthly ride.
Click the Yourtube link at the bottom of the video for better quality.

https://youtu.be/sjROJDDJPpc
Kind of looks like Critical Mass "lite".
Old 10-25-22, 05:15 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
It was originally Critical Mass. A few years ago People For Bikes took over the ride and changed the name to Providence Bike Jam. (PBJ) and transformed it to a party ride.
Likes For capejohn:
Old 10-25-22, 06:45 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
It was originally Critical Mass. A few years ago People For Bikes took over the ride and changed the name to Providence Bike Jam. (PBJ) and transformed it to a party ride.
can't win hearts, if you're pissing ppl off, eh?
Old 10-27-22, 06:08 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I am retired so if I ride at night it is because i want to. The only way I ride in the dark in the evening was when I was commuting or when on tour still do it if for some reason I just ride late. The only other exception might be a full moon MTB ride. Those can be magical. I take a headlamp and ride with it turned off for much of the ride.

Riding early in the morning before daylight is another matter. I am an early riser and like to do that sometimes. On tour I do that often. At home I do it to avoid the heat or just because.

I like to trail ride with minimal light (a small headlamp) and well acclimated eyes. It points where you look and you see lots of wildlife.

I tend to use minimal lights in all cases. I do wear a high visibility vest when/where i feel I need it.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 10-27-22, 11:47 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I am retired so if I ride at night it is because i want to. The only way I ride in the dark in the evening was when I was commuting or when on tour still do it if for some reason I just ride late. The only other exception might be a full moon MTB ride. Those can be magical. I take a headlamp and ride with it turned off for much of the ride.

Riding early in the morning before daylight is another matter. I am an early riser and like to do that sometimes. On tour I do that often. At home I do it to avoid the heat or just because.

I like to trail ride with minimal light (a small headlamp) and well acclimated eyes. It points where you look and you see lots of wildlife.

I tend to use minimal lights in all cases. I do wear a high visibility vest when/where i feel I need it.
WELL ---- it's 1:47AM and I got in 2 hours of sleep so I'm thinking about heading out a bit earlier than yesterday's 3AM start. Was only able to ride 30.4 miles :,0(
Old 10-28-22, 03:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
WELL ---- it's 1:47AM and I got in 2 hours of sleep so I'm thinking about heading out a bit earlier than yesterday's 3AM start. Was only able to ride 30.4 miles :,0(
that sounds awesome! did you go back to bed or just stay up for the rest of the day? I had 2 nite rides last winter that required me to go to bed briefly & then get up & out, then went back to bed. it was a timing thing due to snow storms. on another occasion the timing was such that I just stayed up because it was more of an earring morning ride as opposed to a late nite ride

1 example - pre storm Kenan 1/28/22 into 1/29/22 11:30pm-1am

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-28-22 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-28-22, 05:26 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
I have been known to roll out at 4 or 4:30, but 2 or 3 is too early for me. Are you up for the day at that point?
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 10-28-22, 11:20 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
that sounds awesome! did you go back to bed or just stay up for the rest of the day? I had 2 nite rides last winter that required me to go to bed briefly & then get up & out, then went back to bed. it was a timing thing due to snow storms. on another occasion the timing was such that I just stayed up because it was more of an earring morning ride as opposed to a late nite ride

1 example - pre storm Kenan 1/28/22 into 1/29/22 11:30pm-1am
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I have been known to roll out at 4 or 4:30, but 2 or 3 is too early for me. Are you up for the day at that point?
Most often I'm up for good until an afternoon nap. Regretfully the ride didn't take place after posting because my right knee began sending pain signals to my brain. Tomorrow's AM is only 11 hours away so I'll try again.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 10-28-22, 12:57 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
You would NEED LIghts to Allow the Reflection to Work.
yup & I think hi-viz clothing, on a sunny day, isn't so helpful. when you're in deep shade, & drivers' pupils are constricted
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-28-22, 01:36 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
yup & I think hi-viz clothing, on a sunny day, isn't so helpful. when you're in deep shade, & drivers' pupils are constricted
Yep

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 10-28-22, 01:37 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Reflective Tape Does Work on Sunny Days.

Old 10-30-22, 01:25 PM
Airfehr

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
In Providence R.I. we have a monthly night ride on the third Friday. Usually around 200 hundred show. This Friday October 22, Providence Bike Jam has the annual Halloween Ride. Below is a good representation of the monthly ride.
Click the Yourtube link at the bottom of the video for better quality.

https://youtu.be/sjROJDDJPpc
Looks like the Vegas LLama Lot rides
Old 10-31-22, 01:36 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I was doing night rides a couple years ago in the summer when it was too hot and humid to be riding comfortably in the day time. I'm in a semi-rural area and everything shuts down after about 9:00 p.m., so I'd go out about 10:00 or so.

No street lights to speak of out here. I have two headlights; one casts a fairly weak but very broad beam to light the periphery, the other is a 'thrower' that has as much range as my truck's headlights. That one's actually a flashlight attached with a Two Fish Lock-Block; it has a decidedly yellowish color of light that I like a lot.

Nice having the road pretty much to myself, but I miss the scenery.

I use lights with removable batteries (AA for headlights; AAA for tail lights) and carry spares.

Last edited by rollagain; 10-31-22 at 01:41 PM.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 11-11-22, 12:13 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Providence Bike Jam has a monthly night ride through the streets of the city. Two city park dance parties, where everyone stops, indulge in what makes them feel good, and dance to the three synchronized boom boxes, are always included. This Halloween saw over 300 ghouls, goblins and other costumed riders came out for this fun ride.

Likes For capejohn:
Old 11-11-22, 12:28 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15, '03 Litespeed Firenze

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 110 Posts
I commute few days a week and after time went back, by 5 PM is getting dark here. Most of the 10 mile route I take is trail and have some kind of light around, and big chunk of the trail is along a freeway.
One head and tail light does the job for me
Likes For phtomita:
Old 11-11-22, 02:29 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 100 Posts
I got that but I don't understand why would you get a ticket? riding a bike at nite w/o a light? maybe I need more coffee, sorry
you can get a ticket for riding without a light. I got pulled over for that once, cop let me go, I was close to home, it was only dusk.
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 11-11-22, 02:57 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Last night the moon was so bright that I was able to ride for long stretches with my light off.

I am lucky to have a 20km loop with no vehicular traffic near my house, so riding without a light is only a danger to my own stupid self.

For when I need a light, I ordered a pair of AAA battery powered flashlights that I connect to my handlebars and helmet using rubber bands made from old inner tubes, and tape.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 11-11-22, 03:01 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
you can get a ticket for riding without a light. I got pulled over for that once, cop let me go, I was close to home, it was only dusk.
A couple years ago I was riding near dusk with only the most feeble little light strapped on my handlebar. I decided to run a stop sign at the bottom of a hill because I could see there was only one car about 50m back from the intersection. Of course, that one car was a police cruiser, so I got a stern talking-to. No ticket though, the cop said because I stopped when he asked and was polite, and admitted what I did was stupid and said I wouldn't do it again.
Old 11-11-22, 08:27 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by phtomita
I commute few days a week and after time went back, by 5 PM is getting dark here. Most of the 10 mile route I take is trail and have some kind of light around, and big chunk of the trail is along a freeway.
One head and tail light does the job for me
Yes, it is dark much to early here in Redmond. Two more weeks and I'm off to ride in a warmer climate for the winter.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 11-11-22, 08:53 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I believe I stored my external light batteries fully charged. so I don't think I should top them off before using them. they've been dormant since my last night ride in April

anyone ever discharge batteries, by running the lights for a cpl hrs, then re-charging them, before trusting them out on the road?
Assuming they are Li-ion don't ever run them all the way down. If they don't have protective circuits to keep them from going too low, they could explode. In winter charge them once in the "middle" of the winter. Top them off before riding unless you have a way to see where they at, My Lupine headlight has a fuel gage right on the battery.

Don't run any type of battery all the way down.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 11-11-22 at 08:55 PM. Reason: forgot something
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 11-13-22, 05:47 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Don't run any type of battery all the way down.
I do run them until the lite quits, while riding, then I switch to the next battery. there's no "gauge". the light heads have a lite that starts green but goes to red. but it can continue shining while on red, for a really long time & the green doesn't last as long as the light is usable. meaning it seems wasteful to change batteries as soon as the light turns red. it would be nice if it had an in between yellow lite
Old 11-13-22, 06:16 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I do run them until the lite quits, while riding, then I switch to the next battery. there's no "gauge". the light heads have a lite that starts green but goes to red. but it can continue shining while on red, for a really long time & the green doesn't last as long as the light is usable. meaning it seems wasteful to change batteries as soon as the light turns red. it would be nice if it had an in between yellow lite
I know what you mean, but, you could kill the light. Maybe not. Hard to know without a good gauge. I had a Li-ion battery pop and send out fumes while in my hand. I thought the switch was failing so I just kept turning on the light. I drained it too far. Could happen to any Li-ion. For example search for Tesla that explodes when just sitting around. There are a few videos. There was some small drain on the battery and they got too low. even a little condensation on contacts or wires can do it. It happens in all kinds of things (e-bikes) etc.

Do you carry a small tripod for pics of the wheels etc?
Old 11-13-22, 08:40 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I know what you mean, but, you could kill the light. Maybe not. Hard to know without a good gauge. I had a Li-ion battery pop and send out fumes while in my hand. I thought the switch was failing so I just kept turning on the light. I drained it too far. Could happen to any Li-ion. For example search for Tesla that explodes when just sitting around. There are a few videos. There was some small drain on the battery and they got too low. even a little condensation on contacts or wires can do it. It happens in all kinds of things (e-bikes) etc.

Do you carry a small tripod for pics of the wheels etc?
thank you. no nite rides yet but will be soon. will keep all that in consideration

oh my wheel pics? yesterday just put the camera on the ground & road by it. but yes on regular rides, especially off road, I have a small plastic travel pod w/ a velcro strap to attach it to trees. also I have a camera stick w/ a DIY quick release. good for low action while moving. in the beginning, I just held my camera w my hand & leaned way down. I don't always use them but when I get a whacky idea, it's fun to try different things

I put the same quick release on the stick, the mini pod, the bars & the helmet

they use this one to sell their toe clip covers

they ride on the trunk under a cpl bungies

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-13-22 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-13-22, 09:31 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
I also run my daytime lights until they're dead and then swap out bats. I've been doing this for several years now and I'm still using the same lithium batteries. I recharge them everyday when I return from my ride along with my ear buds, tail light, Ipod, and GPS unit. Everything has Lithium in it and no problems yet. The ipod is 8 yrs old and still the original built in lithium battery. It last all day and only takes an hour to fully charge so I see no reason to upgrade it. Am I lucky, or is the lithium danger more hype than reality?
Likes For SpedFast: