Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

UPS lost my Bikeflights shipment

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

UPS lost my Bikeflights shipment

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-22, 08:45 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by amazinmets73
I'm terribly sorry to hear that. Driving is so damn dangerous in comparison to mass public transit or cycling (well, cycling may be dangerous but that's primarily due to the lack of cycling specific infrastructure.) I wish we as a society would make the neccessary strides to curb car ownership.

And yes, your comment in regards to people who purchase insurance getting screwed anyway is absolutely valid.
Wrapping a troll comment within a troll post now that’s the kind of skill that deserves respect.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 11-02-22, 08:48 PM
amazinmets73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Wrapping a troll comment within a troll post now that’s the kind of skill that deserves respect.
Uh, what? Assuming this is the "everyone I disagree with is a troll" approach?
Old 11-02-22, 08:49 PM
amazinmets73

Originally Posted by Koyote
It's not a sensitive subject to me -- it's just economics. I used my own situations as examples, as I have in classes a hundred (or so) times.

The point you seem to have missed is that, if some people choose to forgo insurance, then some other people will get screwed regardless of whether they bought insurance or not. The most commonly-purchased insurance includes coverage to pay off people we may harm through our own actions. This is why almost all states require drivers to carry liability insurance.
Yes, I perfectly understood that. Don't see how it invalidates my original statement.
Old 11-02-22, 09:06 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Yes, I perfectly understood that. Don't see how it invalidates my original statement.
Oh, I can invalidate your original statement quite easily. You wrote:
Therefore, if we rebuked insurace as a collective class and refuse to purchase it, we would have more money on average, not less.
Financially, insurance is a zero-sum game. If "we" includes all of us, including employees of, and investors in, insurance companies, then ending insurance would leave "we," in total, with exactly as much money, on average, as before. BUT: in reality, since people voluntarily purchase much of their insurance, it must make them better off -- otherwise, why would they purchase it? Thus, ending insurance would make "we" worse off, on average.

Regardless of the above, if we all skipped insurance, plenty of innocent people would get screwed. You seem unperturbed by that. Weird.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-02-22, 09:20 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
There is a big difference between buying insurance to protect one's possessions or one's health, and buying insurance to protect someone else's possessions and health that you damage or destroy.

Taking responsibility for one's actions as it relates to others includes making the injured party whole, or at least restoring that life as best possible. At that point insurance is not a matter of preference, it is a matter of restoring that individual(s). If someone does not have the means to self restore another, then insurance is the only avenue that any individual with any remotely moral compass must take.

Insurance for material things is a totally different subject. But, insurance companies only exist because they receive more in premiums and investments than the claims they have to pay out. With a large enough disaster, insurance companies will default. Most insurance companies limit their liability and require additional riders at an additional cost to the policy holder. While it may be borderline unethical, there is probably a very large number of policy holders that never read their policy and have no clue that flood insurance, or earthquake insurance, or wildfire insurance is required in areas prone to those events.

In the end, policy holders are betting that the event is small enough to be able to receive compensation from the insurance company. As an example, I doubt that insurance companies are in a position to replace every home in America that has a homeowners policy.

John
Old 11-02-22, 09:42 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
As an example, I doubt that insurance companies are in a position to replace every home in America that has a homeowners policy.
Nor should they be in that position.
Old 11-02-22, 10:28 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

There would seem to be an ethical dilemma when, after years of paying premiums, someone’s claim is not covered solely because of the timing of their loss.

Of course, before that would happen, policies would be cancelled/not offered in areas that are considered the most vulnerable.

John
Old 11-02-22, 10:30 PM
amazinmets73

Respondents, I am not saying we as a society shouldn't utilize insurance. It's probably better if everyone has slightly less money as opposed to most people having slightly more and a not insignificant percentage having their lives devastated.
Old 11-03-22, 07:19 AM
Koyote

I doubt that insurance companies are in a position to replace every home in America that has a homeowners policy.
There would seem to be an ethical dilemma when, after years of paying premiums, someone’s claim is not covered solely because of the timing of their loss.
I can only think of a few scenarios which would result in the destruction of "every home in America that has a homeowners policy" -- and in each of those scenarios, there is no one left alive to file claims.

Beyond that, no insurance company is capitalized to pay off the maximum claim to each and every policyholder; like most of us, they don't plan for events which have vanishingly low probabilities of occurrence.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-03-22, 07:52 AM
70sSanO

Actually every home was a stretch. But I could see a series of disasters of a large enough magnitude hitting higher density expensive regions of the country resulting in potential claims exceeding what an insurer is able (wants) to pay.

John
Old 11-03-22, 07:56 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Just want to point out that if the “every insured home in America destruction” argument played out…we likely have much bigger problems, and would be lucky to be alive to collect from insurance companies.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 11-03-22, 08:33 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Actually every home was a stretch. But I could see a series of disasters of a large enough magnitude hitting higher density expensive regions of the country resulting in potential claims exceeding what an insurer is able (wants) to pay.
Insurance companies typically reinsure with other companies to reduce their risk, and spread the cost of a disaster over a larger base.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-03-22, 08:36 AM
amazinmets73

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Just want to point out that if the “every insured home in America destruction” argument played out…we likely have much bigger problems, and would be lucky to be alive to collect from insurance companies.

Dan
I wonder if our currency would have any value in an apocalypse.
Old 11-03-22, 08:39 AM
Koyote

John
Each state regulates insurers and has systems in place to provide coverage in events such as you are describing. However, the only insurance companies that have gone bankrupt, in my recollection, have done so due to poor investment decisions -- NOT because of mass claims such as in your scenario. Think about AIG during the financial collapse of 2008.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-03-22, 08:51 AM
tomato coupe

I wonder if our currency would have any value in an apocalypse.
Currency is a scam.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-03-22, 09:03 AM
amazinmets73

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Currency is a scam.
Oh great, another person who has decided to troll me because they disagree with my position on insurance.

And yes "troll" is applicable in this case.
Old 11-03-22, 09:07 AM
tomato coupe

Oh great, another person who has decided to troll me because they disagree with my position on insurance.

How do people get through life without a sense of humor?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-03-22, 09:08 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Currency is a scam.

Psychological projection.
Old 11-03-22, 09:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
I have owned my home for going on 18 years. During that time, I have paid and estimated $15,000 in HO insurance premiums to protect my dwelling and its contents. Not sorry one iota for paying that even though I have never filed a claim. (I did have a $1,200 bike stolen, but with a $750 deductible, it wasn't worth filing a claim.)
Old 11-03-22, 09:20 AM
amazinmets73

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have owned my home for going on 18 years. During that time, I have paid and estimated $15,000 in HO insurance premiums to protect my dwelling and its contents. Not sorry one iota for paying that even though I have never filed a claim. (I did have a $1,200 bike stolen, but with a $750 deductible, it wasn't worth filing a claim.)
Thanks for sharing your experience and perspective. Sorry about your bike 😔
Old 11-03-22, 09:41 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
I have owned my home for going on 18 years. During that time, I have paid and estimated $15,000 in HO insurance premiums)
My bill for this upcoming year is an eye-watering $6.5K.
Old 11-03-22, 10:11 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I suspect that some of the differing opinions on insurance come from life circumstances...If you don't own anything of significant value, then insurance is less important. On the other hand, if you own a home, or perhaps have significant assets which could be subject to a legal judgment, insurance might seem more sensible. (As regards the latter: on top of substantial liability coverage on our home and auto insurance, we carry a $1 million umbrella liability policy. Since we have much more than that amount in retirement accounts, it's a very cheap way to protect our future.)
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-03-22, 10:28 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I received a random automated call stating that a company had received my UPS shipment but it hadn't been signed for.

No idea if it's related to bikes or just a spam call.
Unless they mentioned this shipment in particular in their message it's just the same people who have been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-03-22, 10:44 AM
amazinmets73

What is your house valued at?
Old 11-03-22, 11:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Zoinks! I guess living in a relatively small, brick and masonry, urban row home on a relatively quiet street traffic-wise nowhere near a floodplain has at least one advantage. Fire is pretty much the only peril that is likely to do any serious damage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.