Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Post your e.bike pictures here.

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Post your e.bike pictures here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-22, 11:55 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
This bike came together slowly. I bought a TongSheng TSDZ2 kit in 2019. Never found a bike for it. In 2021, I picked up a 1980's all steel Raleigh Mixtee at a garage sale, and it sat outdoors for 18 months, Last September seemed like it was time to put the two together.

It's the 500W 48V model motor. I've changed the settings in the motor from 12A to 15A max. All of my other bikes are 20A, so the TSDZ2 is prettypuny in comparison. However, it's down around 40 pounds, so I can pedal it all day w.o power on flat country.

I changed out the steel rims for alloy rims. A six speed freewheel replaced the orighinal 5 speed. Found a junker Shjimano Tournery derailleur in my parts bin along with a quickfire trigger shifter. New KMC chain. Also had an old allow quill and bars to replace the original steel ones.

The battery is a 26 cell 48V7AH pack that I made out of Sanyo GA cells, and stuck inside a metal water bottle. I have ridden over 40 miles on it. It's 300 watt-hours (measured) and the bike uses 5WH.mile, so I believe 50 miles is possible. That;s because the TSDZ2 makes me do most of the work. I moved the battery to the lower bar, and use three Velo-Orange clips and a standard water bottle bracket to hold it.

For the last few days, I've been hanging out in the garage with a laptop and programming cable attached to the bike trying to loosen up the firmware so I can go faster and burn up the motor. It seems promising. All I want is little more assist on the pedals. Ah, it's a task for a nerd. I thought I bricked the motor twice, but it's still running.

Forty five years ago, we had a red one like this, It brings back the memories.

Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 11-14-22, 11:02 AM
jayhawk12

Bikes: electric bike plus another bike. Previously had a little bike shop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
This bike came together slowly. I bought a TongSheng TSDZ2 kit in 2019. Never found a bike for it. In 2021, I picked up a 1980's all steel Raleigh Mixtee at a garage sale, and it sat outdoors for 18 months, Last September seemed like it was time to put the two together.

It's the 500W 48V model motor. I've changed the settings in the motor from 12A to 15A max. All of my other bikes are 20A, so the TSDZ2 is prettypuny in comparison. However, it's down around 40 pounds, so I can pedal it all day w.o power on flat country.

I changed out the steel rims for alloy rims. A six speed freewheel replaced the orighinal 5 speed. Found a junker Shjimano Tournery derailleur in my parts bin along with a quickfire trigger shifter. New KMC chain. Also had an old allow quill and bars to replace the original steel ones.

The battery is a 26 cell 48V7AH pack that I made out of Sanyo GA cells, and stuck inside a metal water bottle. I have ridden over 40 miles on it. It's 300 watt-hours (measured) and the bike uses 5WH.mile, so I believe 50 miles is possible. That;s because the TSDZ2 makes me do most of the work. I moved the battery to the lower bar, and use three Velo-Orange clips and a standard water bottle bracket to hold it.

For the last few days, I've been hanging out in the garage with a laptop and programming cable attached to the bike trying to loosen up the firmware so I can go faster and burn up the motor. It seems promising. All I want is little more assist on the pedals. Ah, it's a task for a nerd. I thought I bricked the motor twice, but it's still running.

Forty five years ago, we had a red one like this, It brings back the memories.

Nice work! I like that you seemed to enjoy the project and you repurposed an old bike for it.
Old 11-16-22, 02:05 PM
portals

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I have to say I love this ebike conversion to 1500W hub with a 52V 17.5Ah battery.

It's immense fun out in the nice weather...need to think about mudguards now but don't want to take the face of the bike as I really like how it's currently looks (even with the black forks) , the hub/battery is bit of a give away though if you're looking...

BEFORE

Old Halfords MTB (could be 20 yrs old...), think it was my sister's, rescued form elderly parents shed.

DURING

Cold setting frame before shot blasting, respray and build.

AFTER

Since these pics were taken I've rebuilt drive train and put on new derailleur/shifter, currently designing my own torque arm for drive side.

New brakes, new black front fork after respray (grrr...as I bent original forks in a crash when rear axle spun out on test drive)

Also have tidied up the cables at front in to a nice bag.

Likes For portals:
Old 11-17-22, 01:01 PM
rvman

Bikes: Jamis commuter 2 , engwe EP-2 Pro 750 watt

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Couldn't resist snapping a picture. Cheers!
Likes For rvman:
Old 11-24-22, 11:37 AM
Cworthy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
A Magicycle for my entire family!

I'm definitely "sold" on the Magicycle brand. After my third cruiser arrived on my doorstep this week, I'm glad to say that excellent quality and customer service are still in place at Magicycle. Only 4 days from order to delivery! Now I need one more to have enough for all my family to ride together. I might even consider their new folding e-bike.
It's getting cold an wet here now, but I'm still riding :-) These fat tires give very nice traction in a variety of winter conditions! Magicyle always installs brand name components on their e-bikes, so I'm very comfortable about riding long-distance, even in winter.

It seems I am not yet allowed to post photos or links, but if you want to see them, just let me know.
Old 11-24-22, 06:54 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
First post; bye bye if it's advertising.

Last edited by 2old; 11-24-22 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-25-22, 08:10 AM
Cworthy

Wow -- not exactly friendly

I'm not allowed to like my bikes and eventually qualify to post a photo? I believe this is the "Post your e.bike pictures here" area. Have a great weekend!
Old 11-28-22, 08:26 AM
jayhawk12

Bikes: electric bike plus another bike. Previously had a little bike shop

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by portals
I have to say I love this ebike conversion to 1500W hub with a 52V 17.5Ah battery.

It's immense fun out in the nice weather...need to think about mudguards now but don't want to take the face of the bike as I really like how it's currently looks (even with the black forks) , the hub/battery is bit of a give away though if you're looking...

BEFORE

Old Halfords MTB (could be 20 yrs old...), think it was my sister's, rescued form elderly parents shed.

DURING

Cold setting frame before shot blasting, respray and build.

AFTER

Since these pics were taken I've rebuilt drive train and put on new derailleur/shifter, currently designing my own torque arm for drive side.

New brakes, new black front fork after respray (grrr...as I bent original forks in a crash when rear axle spun out on test drive)

Also have tidied up the cables at front in to a nice bag.

Wow, 1500 watts-- the thing must really fly! I had one with 1000 watts and it was scary sometimes.
Old 11-28-22, 08:56 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
we are all wet.

Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 11-30-22, 02:56 PM
rvman

Bikes: Jamis commuter 2 , engwe EP-2 Pro 750 watt

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Likes For rvman:
Old 01-07-23, 11:03 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 591 Posts
A little ride on a cold, windy day,...
​​​​​

Old 01-08-23, 04:16 PM
Cworthy

Hey...it may be cold and windy, but it's still the beach! Nice pics...thanks.
Likes For Cworthy:
Old 01-16-23, 12:38 AM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
My May 2022 KBO Stealth Hurricane Purchase

I Watched youtube, read reviews about eBikes and then decided I needed to own one and understand what they were about, most of all to ride one and see what they were like to ride and how much power they provided. Read that many cyclist believed it was cheating to ride an eBike, but as the year continued I saw many commuters riding their eBikes to work in groups. I ordered on a Monday and it arrived Friday in a big box, Everything was packed well and there was not a scratch to be found after assembly. Assembly, was only, install a front wheel and install and adjust the handlebars. Next day I went for a 6 mile ride without activating the electric motor on my 37.7 pound eBike to see if I could ride it home without pedal assist if something went wrong. I disliked the mountain bike flat bars, so started looking for ways to change it out for drop bars. The brake pedals had 1. wire and a normal cable for the brakes. had to remove the alloy fork, to remove the horrid vibration that was killing my shoulders and neck. Some eBikes have steel forks to kill that vibration alloy handlebars seem to have on non-suspension bicycles, instead I went for Carbon Fiber fork and it was much lighter. Then I had to have Carbon Fiber handlebars, new 850 gram wheel replaced the heavy 1,200 gram front wheel. A lighter tire and tube with known puncture protection, instead of the unknown brand mounted on the heavy front alloy wheel. Bicycle now is 32,2 pounds, and I am still looking for a way to remove more weight.

JR
Below is my eBike image without the bar tape installed...

KBO Stealth Hurricane on UNLV Campus in Las Vegas, NV
Likes For Namida12:
Old 01-16-23, 08:50 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
Nice job; I'd bet you could get another pound off the rear wheel and cassette, especially if you could get by with smaller gears because the motor provides lots of extra oomph. That looks like a lot of exposed fork for carbon.
Old 01-22-23, 10:44 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Nice job; I'd bet you could get another pound off the rear wheel and cassette, especially if you could get by with smaller gears because the motor provides lots of extra oomph. That looks like a lot of exposed fork for carbon.

Weight reduction and converting from cadence to Torque sensing is my major goal for this bicycle. It has a generic belt drive crank ring that has 59 theet and 22 cog in the rear. was thinking to change to 55 if I go with the lighter Gates belt drive,

Restringing the rear wheel with a carbon fiber rim would also be lighter, as the front wheel was 1200 grams. and the current front wheel is 860 grams.

The KBO stealth Hurricane battery is only a bit smaller than Ride scoozy Torque1 that has Torque sensing. Have been wondering for a while if I could switch controllers and change out the bottom bracket for a torque sensing one to improve the hill climbing ability of my KBO stealth Hurricane...

https://ridescoozy.com/Electric-Bicy...rque-One-Ebike

If I was to purchase again, I would try to have a torque 1 and modify the the right rear dropout to have a split frame to install a gates belt drive. The ride1up geavel eBike with a larger battery would be a perfect bicycle for me if it had a torque densor instead of cadense sensor, or the Torque 1, with the Gates belt drive. Either one of these eBike would be a great price to modify.

Last edited by Namida12; 01-22-23 at 10:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-23-23, 02:13 AM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
2 years ago after experiencing my wifes e-MTB on the trails next to my town I started to lust after some kind of assistance. Going up on a steep trail plastered with ruts and having lots of fun doing so, I started searching and thinking which e-bike to get.
So, 2 years go by and last week was the day, my new e-bike was delivered. I've been a Biobiker all my life, but I can't deny the fun factor of having some support while riding through rough terrain.
I basically went all out, and got me somewhat of a Rolls Royce in the bike world. Took it already out on 3 rides and emptied the battery twice It's addictive!
Without further ado, here is my Elom Titan Fatty in it's natural Environment

Titan Fatty
Old 01-30-23, 09:16 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scummer
2 years ago after experiencing my wifes e-MTB on the trails next to my town I started to lust after some kind of assistance. Going up on a steep trail plastered with ruts and having lots of fun doing so, I started searching and thinking which e-bike to get.
So, 2 years go by and last week was the day, my new e-bike was delivered. I've been a Biobiker all my life, but I can't deny the fun factor of having some support while riding through rough terrain.
I basically went all out, and got me somewhat of a Rolls Royce in the bike world. Took it already out on 3 rides and emptied the battery twice It's addictive!
Without further ado, here is my Elom Titan Fatty in it's natural Environment

Titan Fatty
The snow looks fun, but the eBike looks heavy, would be useless trying to carry up and down three flights of stairs as I ride mine to and form work. Speed is about 12 miles an hour with all the traffic and stoplights same as my road bike average on the way to work. Ebike last about 30 minutes at street level or in a common bike room where I live. To keep them you must carry upstairs and charge on the patio to be certain they do not become a fire hazzard in the apartment or condo complex to thieves.

I could move to a safer area, or to a building with a freight elevator, but I only have a narrow stairwell, and no throtle. It would be difficult to leave my area , The nightlife is much to hot and exciting to relocate to a more exoensive area calm neighborhood.

JR
Old 01-30-23, 09:39 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
dumped the stock tires on my trek they really sucked. went tubeless Schwalbe G-One Speed 2" so much more zip and I tend to go about 3mph faster and get several more miles of range. Plus they are move comfortable then the 2.4" stock tires at the same psi.

Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 02-13-23, 08:23 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts

My ebike gives me wings, … no bull.
Old 02-13-23, 09:21 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
Cool

My new grocery getter:
Likes For cat0020:
Old 02-13-23, 04:44 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
@cat0020 - never answered your question about climbing with the Mahle X35 rear hub motor.

If it were not for the big hills in my east of Seattle location, I would never have bought electric. So it boosts my climbing without a doubt, but even at the highest (of 3) power settings it does not 'pull you up' the steep grades, only 'assists one's pedaling'. As a powerful motor in hills, my guess is that it rates somewhat poorly in that category. Orbea calls it the 'just enough' concept. It is a good fit for my aging abilities as a long time cyclist who just wants (needs?) that extra bit to help on hills and desires a traditional road bike feel. ....without a lot of power, if that makes sense to anyone else. XL size bike is sub 30 pounds.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-13-23 at 04:51 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 02-13-23, 06:41 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Wildwood
@cat0020 - never answered your question about climbing with the Mahle X35 rear hub motor.

If it were not for the big hills in my east of Seattle location, I would never have bought electric. So it boosts my climbing without a doubt, but even at the highest (of 3) power settings it does not 'pull you up' the steep grades, only 'assists one's pedaling'. As a powerful motor in hills, my guess is that it rates somewhat poorly in that category. Orbea calls it the 'just enough' concept. It is a good fit for my aging abilities as a long time cyclist who just wants (needs?) that extra bit to help on hills and desires a traditional road bike feel. ....without a lot of power, if that makes sense to anyone else. XL size bike is sub 30 pounds.
I lived in Tacoma WA in my teens, when I first started cycling. I'm pretty familiar with the hills in Sea-Tac area.

I lived about 7/8 mile up a big hill in the east side of Tacoma, Fairbanks & Roosevelt Ave.
Not as steep of hills as downtown Seattle or Tacoma, but longer hills with steady gradient.

I used to ride my Huffy 10-speed road bike with 26"x1 3/8" tires allover town and eventually crossed the NA Continent in the summer of 1990 with it from Seattle to Ocean City, NJ, 10 weeks on 2-wheel.

I'm in my 50's now,
I use all the help I can get so I can keep my mind on surviving the traffic among other vehicles.

Last edited by cat0020; 05-10-23 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-20-23, 04:36 AM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
It's actually not that bad. It clocks in at 23,5kg with the battery mounted. The titanium frame makes this a rather light e-fatty..
Old 04-24-23, 02:26 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 195 Posts
Lectric XP Lite

I added a few things to the stock bike:
  • Mirrcycle bar-end mirror
  • Fender set
  • BMX tires
  • Bell
  • Folding lock, behind the seat tube
  • Upgraded seat with shock seatpost
My daughter rides it more often than I do, as I'm usually on my Aventon Level.2.
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 04-24-23, 02:40 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 195 Posts
Aventon Level.2

This one is my commuter. I added:
  • Suntour NCX shock seatpost
  • Selle Anatomica X2 saddle
  • Mirrcycle bar-end mirror
  • Topeak MTX rack
  • Topeak trunk bag with fold-down panniers
  • Generic phone holder from Amazon
  • Electra bell (old school style, which I find works a lot better with pedestrians than the single ding ones)
Likes For Smaug1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.