Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.4

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-22, 12:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I am never going back to my old (high) school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq8OU-7JDFA
I, in fact, never have. My first, 5 year HS reunion came just after I dropped out of grad school - let's just say it was mutual between me and the program. Ever since then, I've been out here in CA and not inclined to travel 3000 miles for it. But I did check out the pictures from the last couple. The 30th, I looked at the pics and my first thought was, "Why did everyone's parents come to a reunion?", before I realized it wasn't their parents, it was THEM!

The 40th, my first thought was they'd invited their grandparents.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-11-22, 12:56 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
I am never going back to my old (high) school.
It's not like I had great friendships with the types of people who attend reunions. That wasn't my experience in that environment. My closest friends and I were like prison inmates who planned to go their separate ways once we got released. I will probably end up skipping it if I can come up with something better.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-11-22, 01:11 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
I don't think I have ever gone to a reunion. I think my high school and college and med school got the memo as I don't even get invited anymore.
Old 11-11-22, 01:21 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I, in fact, never have. My first, 5 year HS reunion came just after I dropped out of grad school - let's just say it was mutual between me and the program. Ever since then, I've been out here in CA and not inclined to travel 3000 miles for it. But I did check out the pictures from the last couple. The 30th, I looked at the pics and my first thought was, "Why did everyone's parents come to a reunion?", before I realized it wasn't their parents, it was THEM!

The 40th, my first thought was they'd invited their grandparents.
I've never been to a reunion from my school, most of my friends went to other schools and I did go to a few of theirs. My 50th would have been 2021 and there wasn't one due to covid.
I've gone on Classmates to see if anyone I remember is there and I got the same "why are their parents pics here?" thing as you did.

Last edited by big john; 11-11-22 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-11-22, 01:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I'm Friends on FB with a small selection of folks I went to high school or college with, and they aren't necessarily the ones I was closest with at the time. Part of the whole "Low social needs introvert" thing - I struggle to maintain friendships once we're no longer in frequent contact.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-11-22, 01:35 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
I went to my 20th HS reunion and I’m all set from there on out. We’re coming up on 30 soon! It was good to see everyone (small parochial school), but I don’t need to see them in person again. FB is enough the 3 times a year I actually log in and check it.
Old 11-11-22, 02:11 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

I don't do FB either.

#Misanthrope
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-11-22, 02:34 PM
big john

I don't do FB either.

#Misanthrope
You might find Classmates amusing. You can see recent pictures posted by people you haven't seen in decades.
Old 11-11-22, 02:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

4 of my 5 siblings are on FB, and it keeps us pretty close. One of us set up a Group on Messenger, where we have a more or less constant conversation (sometimes with many hours between comments). My sister has been keeping us updated on her son's recovery - poor guy got pretty messed up when a car pulled out from a stop sign in front of his motorcycle.

I somehow manage to avoid a lot of the political arguments there, since I decided some time back that wrassling with pigs only gets you dirty and the pigs like it. Or maybe anyone who disagrees with me de-friended me long since?

Old 11-11-22, 03:01 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Still figuring out my strength. I think that I can hammer a long for extended periods of time, as well as recover pretty quick might both be my strengths, but for now I know my weakness is my top end, lack there of. Giving it my all doesn’t last long enough in my opinion and also doesn’t get me the speed that I would like either. I need to work more on building power as well as my sprinting form and technique. I don’t get low enough, as well as perfecting which gear to be in. This winter I plan on focusing on increasing power output, max power out put as well as raising my FTP.
I think that your self-assessment is pretty fair. I'd say that you're pretty strong at mid- and long-duration efforts but start to fall off, relatively speaking, at efforts shorter than 3 min or so, which is kind of the opposite of me. The question is what to do with that, though, which is something that I've asked myself. I've come to the opinion that you go for the low-hanging fruit, which in your case would be the sprint form/technique work. After that, though, I'm of a mind to embrace/train your strengths rather than beat your head against your weaknesses.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-11-22, 03:05 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by big john
You might find Classmates amusing. You can see recent pictures posted by people you haven't seen in decades.
Maybe. I did not have a great experience in High School, I survived but had only a small group of friends and we were all eager to GTFO and move on with our lives. I actually do not have contact with any of them and my life is already busy/complicated enough so I am not looking for trouble. I have plenty.
Old 11-11-22, 03:22 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I think that your self-assessment is pretty fair. I'd say that you're pretty strong at mid- and long-duration efforts but start to fall off, relatively speaking, at efforts shorter than 3 min or so, which is kind of the opposite of me. The question is what to do with that, though, which is something that I've asked myself. I've come to the opinion that you go for the low-hanging fruit, which in your case would be the sprint form/technique work. After that, though, I'm of a mind to embrace/train your strengths rather than beat your head against your weaknesses.

Right, but even my top end of my diesal efforts I want to be faster. I can get up to 26-28 mph and hold that for a decent time, but I can’t hold anything faster than that for any length of time. I get behind Newf and he dials it up to 32 mph without even breaking a sweat, he pulls off the front and gives me the number 1 spot and I instantly blow up.
Old 11-11-22, 03:24 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Quoted: 3191 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 1,162 Posts
"Low social needs introvert" thing
Same
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 11-11-22, 03:29 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

57.6 km
It tired me out so I was happy to get home. Just a hair on the hot side but that won't last much longer.
(One of)the downside(s) of having only one kit is that it must be taken into the shower after the ride. It begins to get old after awhile. When the Mrs returns from Atlanta at the end of the month, she will bring three jerseys with her. I can get shorts locally.
I am effectively getting back into cycling with kit, after all that time riding in street clothes. It's a new morning. Cue Bob Dylan
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 11-11-22, 03:30 PM
seedsbelize2

Is Classmates a fb thing?
Old 11-11-22, 04:34 PM
WhyFi

Right, but even my top end of my diesal efforts I want to be faster. I can get up to 26-28 mph and hold that for a decent time, but I can’t hold anything faster than that for any length of time. I get behind Newf and he dials it up to 32 mph without even breaking a sweat, he pulls off the front and gives me the number 1 spot and I instantly blow up.
Lots to unpack here, but the theme is: let's not be unrealistic.

I know that Newf is strong - I've seen him on the leaderboards - but even if he's world-class, 32mph on a road bike isn't a without-breaking-a-sweat effort. Glancing at the speed on your head unit while on his wheel is simply playing too loose with the numbers. If he's at 32mph, it's not for nearly as long as you think it is - almost certainly less than 90 seconds - at least not without the aid of a tailwind or a subtle downhill on your flat, but never *actually* flat, terrain... so let's not be *too* unrealistic about his physical accomplishments. Stop looking at speed and start looking at power over duration - that's why you have power meters on your bikes. Get to know your 60sec power, your 5 min, your 20 min power, etc.

Second, we need to acknowledge that there will always be people more gifted. You're strong, but you're not a genetic freak lotto winner. If you (or I, or anyone else in this thread) were to maximize our training efforts, there will still be plenty of people out there with fitness floors lower than our ceilings, so don't worry about them, worry about doing the best with what you've got.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-11-22, 04:45 PM
bampilot06

Lots to unpack here, but the theme is: let's not be unrealistic.

I know that Newf is strong - I've seen him on the leaderboards - but even if he's world-class, 32mph on a road bike isn't a without-breaking-a-sweat effort. Glancing at the speed on your head unit while on his wheel is simply playing too loose with the numbers. If he's at 32mph, it's not for nearly as long as you think it is - almost certainly less than 90 seconds - at least not without the aid of a tailwind or a subtle downhill on your flat, but never *actually* flat, terrain... so let's not be *too* unrealistic about his physical accomplishments. Stop looking at speed and start looking at power over duration - that's why you have power meters on your bikes. Get to know your 60sec power, your 5 min, your 20 min power, etc.

Second, we need to acknowledge that there will always be people more gifted. You're strong, but you're not a genetic freak lotto winner. If you (or I, or anyone else in this thread) were to maximize our training efforts, there will still be plenty of people out there with fitness floors lower than our ceilings, so don't worry about them, worry about doing the best with what you've got.

Have you seen the size of my ears? Totally a genetic freak, I understand what you are saying.

I honestly have no idea what my 60, 5 or 20 min power is.
Old 11-11-22, 04:46 PM
big john

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Is Classmates a fb thing?
Nope. It's a .com.
Old 11-11-22, 04:53 PM
WhyFi

A few weeks back, the kids brought home a lingering cough and sore throat that's evidently been going around. My wife promptly got it from them and suffered while I seemed to go unscathed, which isn't unusual. Welp, my luck ran out a few days back - just enough congestion to make sleeping difficult, a fiery throat, and body ache - like I've tumbled down a hill - that pairs nicely with a hacking cough. Hopefully I'll get passed the worst of it soon.
So, a few days after this, my throat started getting better and my body ached less... and then my ears, well, one in particular, went all bat**** crazy. Big, migraine-inducing pressure build-up that just couldn't be relieved. Figuring it was an ear infection complication from the illness, I gave it a few days to sort itself out. It didn't.

When I finally decided to wave the white flag, I couldn't get in to my usual doctor, so I went to Urgent Care. I got there just in time to see them roll out a sign indicating at least a two-hour wait time. That didn't sound like too much fun, so I decided to try out the virtual consultation that our insurance company had recently started offering. I think that I spent close to an hour getting registered, answering questions from the bot and then, finally, texting with the doctor, but I eventually got script for some antibiotics. I've been on 'em for a few days, and I've seen definite improvement, but they weren't the magic pills of relief that I was hoping they'd be.

The good news is that the energy levels are starting to get back to normal. The bad news is that it's essentially been a month off of the bike. Eeesh. I'll have to re-up my Zwift membership in the next few days and start the slog back to semi-fitness.
Old 11-11-22, 04:59 PM
WhyFi

I honestly have no idea what my 60, 5 or 20 min power is.
Bruh.

Look at Intervals. Your top figures for the last 84 days are 484w, 281w and 230w, respectively. You can also look at how your duration power figures, in w/kg, compare to the rest of the Intervals user base.
Old 11-11-22, 05:10 PM
WhyFi

So, a few days after this, my throat started getting better and my body ached less... and then my ears, well, one in particular, went all bat**** crazy. Big, migraine-inducing pressure build-up that just couldn't be relieved. Figuring it was an ear infection complication from the illness, I gave it a few days to sort itself out. It didn't.

When I finally decided to wave the white flag, I couldn't get in to my usual doctor, so I went to Urgent Care. I got there just in time to see them roll out a sign indicating at least a two-hour wait time. That didn't sound like too much fun, so I decided to try out the virtual consultation that our insurance company had recently started offering. I think that I spent close to an hour getting registered, answering questions from the bot and then, finally, texting with the doctor, but I eventually got script for some antibiotics. I've been on 'em for a few days, and I've seen definite improvement, but they weren't the magic pills of relief that I was hoping they'd be.

The good news is that the energy levels are starting to get back to normal. The bad news is that it's essentially been a month off of the bike. Eeesh. I'll have to re-up my Zwift membership in the next few days and start the slog back to semi-fitness.
The silver lining, of the forced time off the bike, is that I've been semi-productive, otherwise: I tore apart the old espresso machine - replacing brew valves, fixing the low water sensor, etc - and have it in ready-to-sell condition, I've spent a little more time in the wood shop, getting Christmas gifts and some floating shelves planned out and, today, with winter weather on our doorstep, I finally pulled the carb from the snow blower, cleaned it out and got it up and running again... now, having gone without it for the last few years, I just need to decide on whether to actually use the thing or if I should sell it.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-11-22, 06:05 PM
big john

The silver lining, of the forced time off the bike, is that I've been semi-productive, otherwise: I tore apart the old espresso machine - replacing brew valves, fixing the low water sensor, etc - and have it in ready-to-sell condition, I've spent a little more time in the wood shop, getting Christmas gifts and some floating shelves planned out and, today, with winter weather on our doorstep, I finally pulled the carb from the snow blower, cleaned it out and got it up and running again... now, having gone without it for the last few years, I just need to decide on whether to actually use the thing or if I should sell it.
Glad to hear you are recovering. I remember you got sick but it sounded like a cold. Guess it was pretty awful.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-11-22, 07:07 PM
WhyFi

Glad to hear you are recovering. I remember you got sick but it sounded like a cold. Guess it was pretty awful.
It was a man cold of the worst sort.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-11-22, 08:03 PM
bampilot06

Bruh.

Look at Intervals. Your top figures for the last 84 days are 484w, 281w and 230w, respectively. You can also look at how your duration power figures, in w/kg, compare to the rest of the Intervals user base.

I meant that I have not activity tried to set numbers for those. 5 second power should be higher? My last intervals were at 500 andI have done them as high as 600.
Old 11-11-22, 08:36 PM
WhyFi

I meant that I have not activity tried to set numbers for those. 5 second power should be higher? My last intervals were at 500 andI have done them as high as 600.
That was your 1min, 5min and 20min. Your 5 sec is 903w. What duration are your intervals - 30sec? You're at 626w, there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.