Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Refurbishing trick

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Refurbishing trick

Old 12-11-22, 08:24 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Refurbishing trick

Have you ever got a rim and it wasn't a bad rim but the brake track is looking like nine miles of bad road? I don't mean ground up brake tracks, I'm talking the ones that have blotchy anodizing all the way around and look like crap but are perfectly fine.
I thought up a simple trick. Double stick tape 600 or 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper on a brake pad with it adjusted to cover the whole brake track evenly. Just one pad at a time with it adjusted to lightly ride the rim.
Whether it works or not, I'm going to do it today and post pictures of the fail/success.
Old 12-11-22, 12:35 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
worth a try...and might be a bit less messy (or easier to control where the mess goes) if you affixed the wet-dry paper "pads" to a truing stand with a drip tray under the drips (Or under the whole set-up).
Maybe wait for warm weather and do this in a wading pool
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 12-11-22, 01:05 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,299 Times in 3,633 Posts
I suspect a more aggressive approach (sand paper) may aggravate the problem.

It will need to take down the high spots with out removing material from the low spots, challenging to do without machining.

I have always thought this a scourge, PITA, lipstick on a pig in a poke after a few hundred miles, look like crap already with a long way to go looking bad.
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-11-22, 01:13 PM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by merziac
I suspect a more aggressive approach (sand paper) may aggravate the problem.

It will need to take down the high spots with out removing material from the low spots, challenging to do without machining.

I have always thought this a scourge, PITA, lipstick on a pig in a poke after a few hundred miles, look like crap already with a long way to go looking bad.
Not so good right now. I was trying to do it outside to avoid a mess, but rain and double stick tape is not a workable combination
Old 12-11-22, 01:20 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,299 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Not so good right now. I was trying to do it outside to avoid a mess, but rain and double stick tape is not a workable combination
As already suggested a controlled setup on a truing stand might be the way to go, power the wheel with a drill and maybe a socket to simulate the drive on a trainer.
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-11-22, 08:19 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
once I saw on the interweb a guy doing the same in like seconds with a knife sharpening stone, but he said if you walk nearby building demolition sites, a piece of slate is a finer approach (although I guess chance of finding one highly depends on the continent you live on). He just slapped the bike upside down, and revved the wheel and used the stone like the tools when milling. For front the drilling machine is a good suggestion.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 12-11-22, 08:25 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
A spot of oven cleaner and a scotch brite pad will make quick work of that problem. Nice and even without a bunch of gouges.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 12-12-22, 12:39 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by krakhaus
A spot of oven cleaner and a scotch brite pad will make quick work of that problem. Nice and even without a bunch of gouges.
I like this suggestion. The goal here is to remove the anodizing without removing any of the rim material, right? The 800 grit sandpaper isn't going to take off much metal, but you don't want to re-invent machined sidewalls without the fine control needed to make sure they are evenly machined.
Old 12-12-22, 04:26 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,833 Times in 1,460 Posts
It’s called Patina by the hipsters and it lends character to the bike

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 12-12-22, 06:00 AM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by Lattz
once I saw on the interweb a guy doing the same in like seconds with a knife sharpening stone, but he said if you walk nearby building demolition sites, a piece of slate is a finer approach (although I guess chance of finding one highly depends on the continent you live on). He just slapped the bike upside down, and revved the wheel and used the stone like the tools when milling. For front the drilling machine is a good suggestion.
Slate is easy to come by, that's worth a try, wet dry sandpaper doesn't touch hard anodizing so slate is on the trial list.
Old 12-12-22, 06:02 AM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by Andy_K
I like this suggestion. The goal here is to remove the anodizing without removing any of the rim material, right? The 800 grit sandpaper isn't going to take off much metal, but you don't want to re-invent machined sidewalls without the fine control needed to make sure they are evenly machined.
Oven cleaner works, but stopping it from getting where you don't want it is a pain.
I've de-anodized then polished quite a bit of aluminum, and oven cleaner really works, but controlling it...
Old 12-12-22, 07:12 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
IMHO, any approach is prematurely wearing out the rim. I don't do anything and as stated, it is part of the Patina. There are diminishing opportunities for C&V replacements over time.
Sanding or other abrasive methods reduces the the thickness of the side wall.
Removing anodizing layer removes the harder surface allowing for accelerated wear.

There are no new direct replacements for many rims. It is a consumable part.

P9201318 on Flickr
Old 12-12-22, 09:06 AM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by SJX426
IMHO, any approach is prematurely wearing out the rim. I don't do anything and as stated, it is part of the Patina. There are diminishing opportunities for C&V replacements over time.
Sanding or other abrasive methods reduces the the thickness of the side wall.
Removing anodizing layer removes the harder surface allowing for accelerated wear.

There are no new direct replacements for many rims. It is a consumable part.

P9201318 on Flickr
After failing miserably, and knowing I can't control lye sufficiently to "bleach" the anodizing in an isolated area, I may have to learn to appreciate what I cannot change...
Old 12-12-22, 11:21 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Wabi-Sabi is a term I have used this term in many threads for those that are always seeking perfection......I does not exist and all things will deteriorate with use and time.
I appreciate the service that a thing provides me, imperfection is perfection.

For Bike Friends

JMHO, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 12-12-22 at 11:25 AM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-14-22, 01:44 AM
smoothness 

Bikes: Centurions, Shoguns, and Stumpjumpers

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
i suggest you take a pic of the worn anodizing before you attempt to remedy it. some rims (such as the Mavic Open Pro CD models) have splotchy coatings due to the tension on the rim from the spokes putting tension on the rims. those areas that are lighter are slightly raised compared to the rest of the brake track, causing the hard anodizing/ceramic coating to wear faster on those spots. the photo that SJX426 is a great example of what happens over time.
Old 12-14-22, 05:02 AM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by smoothness
i suggest you take a pic of the worn anodizing before you attempt to remedy it. some rims (such as the Mavic Open Pro CD models) have splotchy coatings due to the tension on the rim from the spokes putting tension on the rims. those areas that are lighter are slightly raised compared to the rest of the brake track, causing the hard anodizing/ceramic coating to wear faster on those spots. the photo that was posted is a great example of what happens over time.
That's exactly what I'm looking at
Old 12-14-22, 09:00 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 327 Posts
This approach requires well trued wheels, otherwise metal will be removed unevenly. Even still, some light-weight rims are so thin, high spoke tension can reveal brake-wear spots adjacent to eyelets; you'll be weakening the areas experiencing the most stresses. In any case, no matter how the sandpaper is applied, rim lifespan will be reduced for purely cosmetic reasons.