Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mechanical disc levers: short or long?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-17-22, 02:29 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 2,525 Posts

I've come into a for-parts BSD (Huffy), and am trying to figure out what parts I can use. It has mechanical disc brakes. Are the levers going to be short-pull or long-pull?

I'm hoping they're short, because I'm planning a flatbar conversion of a Specialized Allez and I'll need some levers for the caliper brakes
Old 12-17-22, 03:38 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
If you have other levers you can determine this for yourself. Measure the distance from the lever pivot to the cable anchor, then compare. This is a case of simple geometry ----- The pull is directly proportional to that distance.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-17-22, 06:07 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by FBinNY
If you have other levers you can determine this for yourself. Measure the distance from the lever pivot to the cable anchor, then compare. This is a case of simple geometry ----- The pull is directly proportional to that distance.
Hey FB, haven't seen you around here in years!

hope you're doin great

A bunch of years back, tried to buy a bottle of Chain-L from the 'Triathlete Store' in my town, listed on your dealer page, and they didn't have it and didn't seem interested in ordering more. Soon after they went out of business. Coincidence, OR CONSPIRACY?
Old 12-17-22, 08:17 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
Thanks, I've been back for a few months now, and yes, I'm doing fine.

As for the shop ----- neither, I was acting alone.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-18-22, 10:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
Is there no brand and model number on the body of the existing brake calipers? Look close for the model number. If Shimano it may be on the backside or on the base stamped in the metal. Many times gets covered over with gunk and crud.
Old 12-18-22, 10:50 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,200 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I've come into a for-parts BSD (Huffy), and am trying to figure out what parts I can use. It has mechanical disc brakes. Are the levers going to be short-pull or long-pull?

I'm hoping they're short, because I'm planning a flatbar conversion of a Specialized Allez and I'll need some levers for the caliper brakes
If they come from a Huffy, the best thing to do with the calipers is to find a high place with a steep drop and throw them off it!

Now that that is out of the way, they are likely long pull. Measure the distances from the pivot on the lever to the cable anchor point (see green arrows on picture below). If the distance is longer than 25mm, it’s a long pull lever.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-18-22, 10:59 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Iride01
Is there no brand and model number on the body of the existing brake calipers? Look close for the model number. If Shimano it may be on the backside or on the base stamped in the metal. Many times gets covered over with gunk and crud.
Assuming you're talking about the donor mechanical disc calipers, this is the BSD in quesiton, I tried to take a pic of the calipers so I could see close-up, but I still couldn't read. They say JAZ or IAK or something like that, in scripty letters, with a couple indecipherably small words below?
Old 12-18-22, 11:03 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by cyccommute
If they come from a Huffy, the best thing to do with the calipers is to find a high place with a steep drop and throw them off it!

Now that that is out of the way, they are likely long pull. Measure the distances from the pivot on the lever to the cable anchor point (see green arrows on picture below). If the distance is longer than 25mm, it’s a long pull lever.
The calipers will be discarded, they are mechanical discs, and I have some decent hydraulic discs also sitting in a box that will probably never get used.

First quick measure (bike is a little buried right now, had to reach over/under some stuff and I'm in a hurry) looks like 31
Old 12-18-22, 11:35 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

The calipers will be discarded, they are mechanical discs, and I have some decent hydraulic discs also sitting in a box that will probably never get used.
The levers probably should have gone with them. Most of the cheap levers I see on HellMart bikes are mostly plastic and not worth reuse. The lever itself is likely plastic coated steel…and the steel is usually slagesium so it’s not all that strong be begin with. That’s usually because it is iron “alloyed” with metal it doesn’t really alloy with.

First quick measure (bike is a little buried right now, had to reach over/under some stuff and I'm in a hurry) looks like 31
Yup. Long pull.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-18-22, 12:44 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
If the bike doesn't have brake levers currently, and you are intending to get rid of the calipers, then I'm having trouble understanding what your question actually is.

You should get the levers that work with whatever calipers you intend to put on it.
Old 12-18-22, 03:39 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Iride01
If the bike doesn't have brake levers currently, and you are intending to get rid of the calipers, then I'm having trouble understanding what your question actually is.<br /><br />You should get the levers that work with whatever calipers you intend to put on it.
<br />The target bike is a dropbar Specialzed Allez with normal caliper brakes. I'm converting it to flatbar, so I need short-pull flatbar levers. I needed to figure out if the levers from this donor bike would work. Apparently not. The mechanical disc calipers on the donor bike are certainly not going to be used.
Old 12-18-22, 05:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
I wouldn't use anything off of that bike put it back where you found it or put minimal effort into it and give it to someone who is desperate. Just get some new ones for your bike, if you have short pull brakes, Tiagra BL-4700 would be a fine choice or if I wanted to get spendy which obviously by this post no but if I did Paul Canti Levers would be the choice. If for some reason you did have long pull Avid Speed Dial 7s would be my choice and for spendy Paul Love Levers but if they did those SD7s in a short pull they are probably some of the finest cheap ones out there. Really good feel and a nice look.
Old 12-18-22, 05:55 PM
cyccommute 

<br />The target bike is a dropbar Specialzed Allez with normal caliper brakes. I'm converting it to flatbar, so I need short-pull flatbar levers. I needed to figure out if the levers from this donor bike would work. Apparently not. The mechanical disc calipers on the donor bike are certainly not going to be used.
I’ve used these flat bar road levers with good results.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-18-22, 07:08 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I wouldn't use anything off of that bike
The tires are surpisingly cool, and the front wheel will do fine as well, esp as the only job this bike will ever have is 100yd out to the mailbox and back. I will probably swap the 7sp (bottom-of-the-barrel shimano) shifter on since that would be easier than rehabbing the current one, and maybe even the rear 7sp wheel, so they match.

https://www.bikeforums.net/22742172-post16.html

if you have short pull brakes, Tiagra BL-4700 would be a fine choice or if I wanted to get spendy which obviously by this post no but if I did Paul Canti Levers would be the choice. If for some reason you did have long pull Avid Speed Dial 7s would be my choice and for spendy Paul Love Levers but if they did those SD7s in a short pull they are probably some of the finest cheap ones out there. Really good feel and a nice look.
Old 12-18-22, 07:10 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

ps that's not the target bike I was asking about, the flatbar conversion that needs levers is a different spesh
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 12-18-22, 07:10 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

pps but that is the donor bike upside down in the background
Old 12-18-22, 10:45 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
I recently converted a Bike Friday Tandem to drop-bar and used some dual-pull levers (short or long) off Amazon. I don't recall them being more than $30 for the pair! Doesn't a Spesh Allez deserve even that much spent for brake levers? Tektro has very nice dual-pull levers and they are also very reasonable. Avid SpeedDial levers do short or long and every step inbetween but are spendier. I have those on my recumbents. I'm not sure why this thread even exists. Even if the Huffy levers were short pull ... ... just the thought of recycling parts from it to use on a real bike ... is this just to rile us up and induce nightmares so close to bedtime?
Old 12-19-22, 03:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
The tires are surpisingly cool, and the front wheel will do fine as well, esp as the only job this bike will ever have is 100yd out to the mailbox and back. I will probably swap the 7sp (bottom-of-the-barrel shimano) shifter on since that would be easier than rehabbing the current one, and maybe even the rear 7sp wheel, so they match.

https://www.bikeforums.net/22742172-post16.html

A bike to get the mail? That is a new one. I guess I can dig it and it looks like you are using a proper bike for it not the huffy. Though I guess in this case a huffy would be fine for 100 yarder. I guess I sometimes ride that distance to pick up stuff from a friends car or something when they are visiting but I didn't build a specific bike, maybe I should?

You got me thinking now I want a bike for short distances that is just easy to get on and cheap parts but I would probably just build a single speed conversion with some junk derailleur. N+1 I guess
Old 12-19-22, 03:51 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

The bike is actually my wife's doing. The frame (and a few bits attached) was a dumpster find of mine many years ago. I never got around to offering it on the C&V PIF thread. As a pandemic project to learn some wrenching, she wanted to see if she could build that up as a whole bike using all my other junk from around the garage. We both think it turned out pretty cool (I want to steal that bashguard for my 1x commuter!), but as the bike is way too small, its actual end use will just be out to the mailbox
Likes For RubeRad: