Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Road bikes are just terrible. Please explain

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Road bikes are just terrible. Please explain

Old 12-23-22, 08:18 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Tell us, what is the difference between a seat and a saddle.
Its the same as the difference between a moronic and idiotic question.

Old 12-23-22, 08:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
“As far as I can tell, there are mountain bikes and road bikes. Of course this isn't the case, but I'm not a big bicycle person.”

As far as I can tell, there is chocolate ice cream and vanilla ice cream. Of course, there are other flavors, but I’m not a big ice cream eater person.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-23-22, 08:42 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’m not a big ice cream eater person.
I like frozen custard myself.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 12-23-22, 08:48 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
It might be possible that someone mistook this earnest question, along with the accompanying phraseology, as an example of a phenomenon known as trolling.
I guess I was wrong.
Old 12-23-22, 08:50 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I'm a sorbet guy myself.
Old 12-23-22, 09:00 PM
Bonts

Bikes: Burley Duet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
daggum 5 post newbie limit! I’m finally back. First of all: froyo, cause you get all the toppings.

It might be
possible that someone mistook this earnest question, along with the accompanying phraseology, as an example of a phenomenon known as trolling.
I think I'm having trouble with the site. It seems I have to constantly log back in. i may have been logged out when I thought I posted it the first time.

I didn't mean for this post to be "Trollish." I've always thought that drop bar bikes felt so vastly different and wanted to make sure the point got across. I guess I succeeded. There could be a large mental component. The more vertical pedal/seat arrangement puts the seat higher and the ground father away. Aggressive lean. Brake leavers are out there in the next county. Now that I think of it, I may used to being able to stand with little weight on the hands. I just need riding time. It's a good size tho. I have the seat set all the way down which puts it a bit too low for pedaling but gets my feet closer to ground.

That seat is an enigma tho. I know it's designed to keep the pedaling muscles unencumbered, but it's just so, so tiny... focusing all the sitting weight in such a delicate area. I honestly don't see how it's possible.
Old 12-23-22, 09:07 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
I'm a sorbet guy myself.
I don't know that I have had sorbet, but I liked an orange sherbet during the summers when I was a kid. Dad didn't get it often, but it was a treat when he did. I'm not a fan of gelato.

Originally Posted by Bonts
focusing all the sitting weight in such a delicate area. I honestly don't see how it's possible.

I find I just kinda toughen up to it. Early in the season, I wear padded cycling shorts. By the end of the summer, my running shorts are fine.

Old 12-23-22, 09:13 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I have the seat set all the way down which puts it a bit too low for pedaling but gets my feet closer to ground.

This might be contributing to your discomfort. It might not make a huge difference, but saddle designers tend to assume the user will have proper leg extension.

Worth a look: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitnes...t-how-to-25379
Likes For Rolla:
Old 12-23-22, 09:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
I'm a sorbet guy myself.
I’m a gelato guy. (But still like ice cream sandwiches) Whose next?

Old 12-23-22, 09:42 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
That seat is an enigma tho. I know it's designed to keep the pedaling muscles unencumbered, but it's just so, so tiny... focusing all the sitting weight in such a delicate area. I honestly don't see how it's possible.

This is so close. A big flat seat forces you to work in a very difficult manner.

A touring bicycle saddle allows your legs to move in a much more natural way. Putting a wide flat seat on there puts more strain on your arms and wrists.

If you start riding 50 miles a week or more you will probably find that a touring saddle makes a lot of sense.

But this tandem may not be for you. I once test drove a Lotus. All I needed to do to make it fit me was to move the seat back a couple of inches and add a little more space between the pedals.

Yeah, I would have needed to move the firewall back to move the seat, and the wheel wells were in the way of the pedals. I let someone else have the Lotus.
Old 12-23-22, 10:06 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Regarding handlebars, it might interest you to know that most cyclists (at least recreational ones) spend the majority of their time on the "hoods", and the "tops" secondary with the "drops" reserved for descending and flats speed efforts.

Regarding seats, minimalist road seats reduce chafing and soreness on very long rides and are sometimes even designed to accommodate a more aggressive position. If you're not riding 100 miles at a time, you may in fact be more comfortable on a wider and/or cushier seat.

Finally, many people buy road bikes to emulate what they see on TV. Even if they don't use the drops at all and only ride short distances, they want the Tour de France style bike. Others want to ride fast and make the bike lighter, too, even if it means using a less comfortable position.
As mentioned above, there are "flat bar" road bikes, and if that's what makes you happy then go for it. Also don't be afraid to have a drop bar higher than your saddle. The rules of elitist snobs only apply if you want them to.
Old 12-23-22, 11:21 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
I've always thought that drop bar bikes felt so vastly different and wanted to make sure the point got across. I guess I succeeded. There could be a large mental component. The more vertical pedal/seat arrangement puts the seat higher and the ground father away. Aggressive lean. Brake leavers are out there in the next county. Now that I think of it, I may used to being able to stand with little weight on the hands. I just need riding time. It's a good size tho. I have the seat set all the way down which puts it a bit too low for pedaling but gets my feet closer to ground.
It sounds like you have other issues than the drop bars. You shouldn’t be trying to ride with the saddle low enough so that you can put your feet on the ground from the saddle…especially with a tandem. It’s not a very stable way to ride a single and trying to hold up the weight of a stoker. You should dismount when you stop with one foot on the ground, one foot on the pedal, and straddling the top tub.

Yes, the brake levers are a bit further away but I’m wondering if your bike is too large for you. Even tandems need to have to proper fit for both riders.

You are thinking of the saddle incorrectly. You don’t “sit” on a bicycle saddle. It’s there to support you but it’s not a Barcalounger. Optimally, you should almost hover over the saddle while riding. It takes some time and experience to learn how to unload the saddle while you ride but it’s worth the effort.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-24-22, 06:50 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Sit bone discomfort is natural while you're getting used to riding. The first couple of rides of the season will always be uncomfortable. With more regular riding, the pain should go away.

The one caveat is if you are getting any genital numbness, that should never be ignored.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-24-22, 08:39 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Seems like the OP needs to relearn fit/positioning. Start with the basics. Leg extension, position over the BB, and then worry about the bar height and reach.
We don't know what he's starting with and some of his posts indicate he needs help with all of it.
Likes For big john:
Old 12-24-22, 08:43 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
I thought I posted this last night but see no mention of it on my account or an alert that it was deleted. I'll try again

As far as I can tell, there are mountain bikes and road bikes. Of course this isn't the case, but I'm not a big bicycle person. I'm comfortable on anything with straight, mountain bike type handlebars. Ive had a Schwinn, Raleigh, and Superior. No clue what type they were, but they could be called mountain bikes to the uneducated. I've ridden (tried to ride) road bikes- anything with "ram horn" handlebars. They were all terrible. The dimensions don't look much different than "mountain" bikes, but I just cant ride them. It seems almost as different as trying a unicycle.

The reason I ask is cause my wife got us a Burley Duet of the "ram horn" style. I've ridden tandems well in the past so I don't think it's that. The sporty seat is a big issue I think. I've always put on beefier, cushier seats. This one (common on all road bikes I've sat on) almost feels like there's no seat at all and I'm just sitting on the post.

Question: What should I modify to get this thing to fit? I'm incredibly comfortable on previously mentioned "mountain" bikes. I can wheelie, jump, and slide. It doesn't seem like I'd be so incredibly uncomfortable on any bike. I have zero ideas:
- handle bar drop? I had one bike (too small) set up with a solid 3" of drop
- Narrow handlebars? I can ride no handed, one handed, with a wrench instead of handlebars

There must be some geometry I'm not considering that's incredibly important. Pedal-seat vertical alignment? Fork rake?
Problem solved! No handlebars and great pedal-seat vertical alignment:

Old 12-24-22, 09:20 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,824 Times in 1,723 Posts
The more vertical pedal/seat arrangement puts the seat higher and the ground father away. Aggressive lean. Brake leavers are out there in the next county. Now that I think of it, I may used to being able to stand with little weight on the hands. I just need riding time. It's a good size tho. I have the seat set all the way down which puts it a bit too low for pedaling but gets my feet closer to ground.
Everything you write suggests it’s not a good size. The ground is always in the same place. You need to learn how to properly operate a road bike on a properly sized frame. A tandem is not the correct classroom to gain this knowledge.
Old 12-24-22, 01:32 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
We have a burly samba, which is basically the same bike except for the tire size. I found it really hard to get a good fit on it. The three frame sizes aren’t really that far apart. The stack was really low compared to a modern suspension mountain bike, and I had to put a pretty high riser bar on it to get them level with the saddle.

pdf link https://www.precisiontandems.com/cat_files/samba.pdf

Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 12-24-22 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-24-22, 02:15 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by skidder
Problem solved! No handlebars and great pedal-seat vertical alignment:

I would need full body armor before I would try one of these.
Old 12-24-22, 02:26 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I'm a sorbet guy myself.
Originally Posted by rsbob
I’m a gelato guy.
Oh great, now we've got Big Custard, Big Sorbet, and Big Gelato to deal with. Will it never end?
Old 12-24-22, 03:22 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Sometimes you swap out the wife. Especially before she mellows and decides that tandems aren’t as bad as she thought

I am hoping that is not your new wife...!
Old 12-24-22, 06:51 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by vespasianus
I am hoping that is not your new wife...!
Just a replacement family member who was far less independently minded.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-24-22, 07:29 PM
big john

Just a replacement family member who was far less independently minded.
About what year was that pic?
Old 12-24-22, 11:08 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by big john
About what year was that pic?
Just shy of 34 years ago.

Old 12-25-22, 12:03 AM
big john

Just shy of 34 years ago.
Awesome!
Old 12-26-22, 03:30 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2474 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Awesome!
awesome 'stache as well. Then, and now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.