Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Old 12-13-22, 12:25 PM
OldForerunner
Top Seeded Amateur

Bikes: Kestrels, Peugeots, EPX, Scott, Trek, C-dale, Jeunet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by DesmoDog
While I am also a fan of ditching front derailluers and chain rings, one detail seemingly overlooked here is location. If I lived in Denver, Colorado a super low gear would be much more important to me than it is in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Ditto a higher gear... the elevation changes go both ways after all.

Horses for courses and all that.
Absolutely.

My current build is a 34T with 9/48 that will net me 25.1mph and 4.7mph respectively (with a cadence of 90).

Pretty common 3x setup I've seen is 44/32/22T with 11/32 which nets 26.6mph and 4.6mph.

That's pretty darn close and I submit that anyone that doesn't find enough gear in the 1x above won't find it in the 3x below it either necessitating a different setup.

For an awful lot of riders like myself that don't need to change the gearing on that 3x, the 1x IS the better solution for reasons enumerated earlier.

For you 3x aficionados, nobody is calling your baby ugly. Run whatcha brung and enjoy!
Old 12-13-22, 12:39 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by cyccommute
You usually can’t mix the two. A top pull front derailer has the cable guides running along the top tube while a bottom pull has cable guides running along the downtube. It’s difficult to change from one to the other.
darn - this frame has top tube mounting - but just realized the FD cable is routed on the left side and the cable would possibly contact and interfere with the seat tube ... hmmm
Old 12-13-22, 02:09 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by OldForerunner
On the three MTB I've converted from 3x to 1x I've saved a minimum of 1 lb. Speeds over 25mph on an MTB? Mebbe time to switch to a more efficient road bike.
You are assuming that the routes I ride can be ridden on a road bike. They might be able to be ridden on a road bike but certainly not at 25mph on that kind of bike. I do a lot of bikepacking on road and trails of variable surfaces. One of my recent ones dropped from almost 12,000 feet to 9000 feet over 10 miles on a very rocky road. Speeds on the dirt part pushed up to 25 mph and speeds on the paved part hit 35mph. That’s on knobbies. I hit 25mph pretty soon after hitting the top of the pass and would rather not coast for 10 miles. Legs get really stiff when coasting that long. A road bike would have been way out of its element and would have be a handful at 1/2 to 1/4 of that speed.

Thanks but I’ll keep my high gear and my low gear and the range in between. I use all of them with surprising regularity.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-13-22, 02:32 PM
OldForerunner
Top Seeded Amateur

You are assuming that the routes I ride can be ridden on a road bike. They might be able to be ridden on a road bike but certainly not at 25mph on that kind of bike. I do a lot of bikepacking on road and trails of variable surfaces. One of my recent ones dropped from almost 12,000 feet to 9000 feet over 10 miles on a very rocky road. Speeds on the dirt part pushed up to 25 mph and speeds on the paved part hit 35mph. That’s on knobbies. I hit 25mph pretty soon after hitting the top of the pass and would rather not coast for 10 miles. Legs get really stiff when coasting that long. A road bike would have been way out of its element and would have be a handful at 1/2 to 1/4 of that speed.

Thanks but I’ll keep my high gear and my low gear and the range in between. I use all of them with surprising regularity.
Not assuming anything, I get it, you're a biking stud.

No need for thanks, I never once tried to convince you to change.

Always so serious? I make one tongue in cheek post about 'no FD' and we get your whole edge case.
Likes For OldForerunner:
Old 12-13-22, 03:22 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by OldForerunner
Absolutely.

My current build is a 34T with 9/48 that will net me 25.1mph and 4.7mph respectively (with a cadence of 90).
This is the Classic and Vintage forum. Most of the bikes presented here can’t be easily adapted to a 9 tooth high gear nor are many of them take the wider hubs needed for that kind of hub. If they could be adapted, there would be the need for a new wheel, a new shifter, a new derailer, and the rather expensive cassette. That adds up to a significant chunk of change.

At 90rpm for a 9-48 with a 34 tooth chainring, I get 27.7mph and 5.2mph, respectively. To get 4.7 mph on the low end, you’d have to go to a 31 tooth chainwheel but the high end is reduced to 25mph. The range is 533%

Pretty common 3x setup I've seen is 44/32/22T with 11/32 which nets 26.6mph and 4.6mph.
I get 27.5 mph and 4.4 (based on a 26” wheel) with a range of 655%.

However, it is not difficult to push that gearing further. I have a 20 tooth inner ring which requires a little bit of filling to get to but it’s not that much. It’s also relatively easy to use an 11-36 cassette with that 40/32/20 crank. That extend the speeds from 27.5 to 3.8 mph with a range of 720%. I’m currently experimenting with a 44/32/20 and an 11-40 cassette which increase the range to 800%.

​​​​​​​That's pretty darn close and I submit that anyone that doesn't find enough gear in the 1x above won't find it in the 3x below it either necessitating a different setup.
It may be close but it’s not something that is easily achievable without many expensive changes…if those changes are even possible.

​​​​​​​For you 3x aficionados, nobody is calling your baby ugly. Run whatcha brung and enjoy!
Except that’s pretty much what you’ve said above…including the snarky “change to a road bike” comment. It may be so much better for you but it doesn’t approach my needs. I once read a comment from the guy at SRAM that has saddled us with 1x who said something along the lines of “changing the chainring really changes the character of the bike.” I agree. I just happen to carry those chainrings with me and have this rather convenient system for changing from one chainring to another without having to unbolt the chainring to “change the character of the bike”.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-13-22, 03:57 PM
OldForerunner
Top Seeded Amateur

This is the Classic and Vintage forum. <snip> .
You win.

Back to vintage mtb content, my early 90's Kestrel CS-X I'm building out with Sram 1x12 and 9-48 cassette.

Likes For OldForerunner:
Old 12-13-22, 04:05 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
Thank you. I've wasted too much of my life trying to explain this to the kid at the LBS who's never actually experienced a front derailleur. I like me some 3x9!
The FD was deleted just for that kid, "oh we don't work on those, to complicated and problematic, 1x is so much better and simpler with less trouble" for him without having to learn anymore problem solving for "older" tech.

Funny thing is, its sure not cheaper if you want it to work well under demanding conditions. The cost can be eye watering.

Nothing wrong with it if its for you or you have jumped into the fray and must assimilate.
Old 12-13-22, 05:58 PM
Smokinapankake

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts
I was working in a shop when 8 speed came out, and subsequently 9 speed. The debate at the counter (this was pre widespread internets) was always "why do we need more?" I think a sloping top tube, compact drive, NORBA geometry (71/73) mtb, with a short travel suspension fork, made out of steel, is the best looking bike ever made. That compact crank is a big part of the appeal for me.

FWIW, I'm running a 20/32/44 crank with an 11-36t 9 speed cassette on one of my bikes with no problems at all, and way more range than I'll ever need. Most are 20/32/42 with an 11-32 or 34t. And they all shift flawlessly.

All of this to say that whatever works for you is fine by me. Your bike, and I got no agenda for you. I like me some 3x9!
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 12-14-22, 05:29 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 142 Posts

Here's my latest project, a rat-bagged '92 RM Stratos that was mostly original, except for some modern cranks. The paint is failing badly on this one, but I decided to touch it up ghetto-style and leave it. I also swapped out the seized RS Quadra fork for this rebuilt Manitou4.
Likes For VtwinVince:
Old 12-15-22, 04:36 PM
hihik

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Specialized Rockhopper 1998

Last edited by hihik; 12-19-22 at 06:02 AM. Reason: typo in year
Old 12-15-22, 05:51 PM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by hihik
Wow that is so nice.
Likes For OTS:
Old 12-16-22, 08:06 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts

This is just next level and shows how nice these bikes can look when fixed up and modernized with some new components. I scour through Pinterest every day looking at bikes like this and plan out my dream build.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 12-16-22, 10:08 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
This is just next level and shows how nice these bikes can look when fixed up and modernized with some new components. I scour through Pinterest every day looking at bikes like this and plan out my dream build.
Rockhoppers are a very nice canvas when you want to innovate. Back in 2016, I built one into what I thought of as an "Organic Cargo Bike" for my runs to the Farmer's Market.

The bottoms of the baskets were reinforced with strips of pine to look like miniature pickup truck beds.

The drivetrain was a 1x9, IRRC.

It was an interesting bike to look at, some may have called it pretty, but when loaded down it was quite awkward to ride. CG was just too high.

I ended up trading it for my Dawes Ranger, which ended up being a very good deal for me, as I still think that bike is my favorite ATB-based ride.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Likes For DQRider:
Old 12-16-22, 10:52 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
DQ Rider, thanks for sharing, a gorgeous bike as well. I will say from all the images I look at, the higher end bikes from the 90's make the best conversions, Klein, Marin, Yo Eddy, Surly, Kona and the Rock Hoppers or Stump Jumpers. Now you both went with an updated handlebar and wondering what you think of those for comfort over the standard mtn bike riser bar?

Any pic's of the Dawes Ranger?
Likes For gthomson:
Old 12-16-22, 10:58 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Just thinking back to the old days of pre suspension/disc brakes. High speed downhills was more of a hold on for dear life experience. The ruts were a one way trip and you were always looking for a run out at the bottom of the hill. You didn't need lower gears because the thinner tires would never grab. I understand the retro mods showing in here but appreciate some good examples of vintage rigids that lived through the hard landings. Great thread.
Old 12-16-22, 02:10 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

First and Last Banzai Run

Originally Posted by curbtender
Just thinking back to the old days of pre suspension/disc brakes. High speed downhills was more of a hold on for dear life experience. The ruts were a one way trip and you were always looking for a run out at the bottom of the hill. You didn't need lower gears because the thinner tires would never grab. I understand the retro mods showing in here but appreciate some good examples of vintage rigids that lived through the hard landings. Great thread.
I cut my mountain bike teeth racing on Big Bear and Mammoth Mountain back in the mid-to-late 1980s. I was riding a Lotus Pegasus at the time. High speed downhills were indeed a gnarly affair. This is where the quick-release seatpost bolt would have come in handy, or the later dropper-post, but we didn't have those yet.

One time at Big Bear, I was dared by a Team Devildog teammate to ride one section of trail without taking the optional switchback cutout. He had tried it, but chickened out, and he knew that I used to try anything once. When they sweetened the deal with a hundred bucks, they had their sucker.

Here is what I learned (Hold on for dear life, indeed!): The only way to properly balance the bike was with my chest on the saddle, with my arms straight out ahead of me, hands holding the bars loosely to allow them to move around a bit. This hung my butt out over the rear wheel, which was constantly bouncing off rocks and fallen tree limbs, allowing the rear knobby tire to make a meal of my lycra-clad derriere. By the time I reached the bottom of the trail, I looked like I had been sodomized by an amorous grizzly-bear! My shorts were in tatters, and I had several bleeding scrapes we dubbed "knobby bites".

That was the one and only time I did what was later to be called a "Banzai Run" down the mountain. I don't have my Lotus Pegasus anymore, I sold it on when I got out of the Corps. But I've been looking for one ever since I got back into bicycles around 2015. That nifty little shoulder tube braised between the top-tube and seat-tube really came in handy over deadfalls.

Thanks for sparking that old memory/nightmare!

Likes For DQRider:
Old 12-16-22, 02:23 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by gthomson
DQ Rider, thanks for sharing, a gorgeous bike as well. I will say from all the images I look at, the higher end bikes from the 90's make the best conversions, Klein, Marin, Yo Eddy, Surly, Kona and the Rock Hoppers or Stump Jumpers. Now you both went with an updated handlebar and wondering what you think of those for comfort over the standard mtn bike riser bar?

Any pic's of the Dawes Ranger?
The C&V forums are littered with pics of that bike, but here are a couple, since you asked:

The pullback handlebar is used because these bikes make such great all-rounders! Think of them as the modern paper-boy's bike, even though paper-boys are now largely extinct. The upright handlebar allows you to sit straight-up and enjoy the feeling of that slack frame and fat tires soaking up the bumps. There is a whole thread dedicated to these conversions here: Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions - Bike Forums

Last edited by DQRider; 12-16-22 at 02:28 PM.
Likes For DQRider:
Old 12-17-22, 11:14 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
Just finished turning my MB-3 into a commuter/hauler:

I actually plan on outfitting it with an electric-assist front wheel, then knobby tire rear and studded front for particularly wintery commutes here in the Boston area.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-19-22, 03:52 AM
Positron400

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 117 Posts

Absolutely incredible build! Do tell us more about the componentry!
Likes For Positron400:
Old 12-19-22, 05:57 AM
hihik

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Positron400
Absolutely incredible build! Do tell us more about the componentry!

Last edited by hihik; 12-19-22 at 06:01 AM.
Likes For hihik:
Old 12-19-22, 08:49 AM
retrodude

Bikes: 1984 & 1990 Marinoni Specials - 1990 Bianchi Sika - 1993 Cannondale M800 - 1996 GT Zaskar - 1993 Kona Kilauea - 1987 Ritchey Ascent - 1996 Rocky Mountain Vertex - 2008 Kona Dogma - 1976 Schwinn Suburban - 1994 Kuwahara Makai

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
Rockhoppers are a very nice canvas when you want to innovate. Back in 2016, I built one into what I thought of as an "Organic Cargo Bike" for my runs to the Farmer's Market.

The bottoms of the baskets were reinforced with strips of pine to look like miniature pickup truck beds.

The drivetrain was a 1x9, IRRC.

It was an interesting bike to look at, some may have called it pretty, but when loaded down it was quite awkward to ride. CG was just too high.

I ended up trading it for my Dawes Ranger, which ended up being a very good deal for me, as I still think that bike is my favorite ATB-based ride.

Wow! What a beauty
Old 12-20-22, 05:22 AM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 140 Posts
Well if Rockhoppers are your thing... I got your Rockhopper right here.

This is a 1991 Specialized Rockhopper Sport I bought off Facebook Marketplace from the original owner last year.
He'd just put new Armadillo tires on it but wasn't riding it... maybe it's because of the tires. They make my Schwalbes look like racing slicks.

It is now wearing Schwalbe Marathon Winter studded snows, battery lights, fenders, Mirrycle, and a Brooks that should probably be reserved for less mundane duty. It also has the rack I saved from my old commuter, a Cannondale Hybrid that did no age well in the Michigan salt environment.

I've got a cheap Shimano dynohub and a used 3spd Nexus hub waiting in the wings -- took me over a year to find a mountain bike with horizontal dropouts so I could run it with an IGH. Coaster brake as a bonus; got the hub from the co-op.

Rims, spokes and headlights are in the mail from Rosebikes.com in Germany. That saved a ton of money, and shipping is cheap. If it all gets here before winter break is over, I should be all set for the season, and I'll make an effort to save the Suntour X-1 group from this bike. It would be a shame to ruin it with salt brine.

I'll post on the 'wrenching' thread and hope that shame will drive me to actually get it done before January.
[@nlerner -- I hope that wasn't too many paragraph breaks for you.]

Last edited by steine13; 12-20-22 at 06:20 AM.
Likes For steine13:
Old 12-24-22, 06:08 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
@steine13, and here's my RockHopper Sport from 1992!

Getting ready to start the Critical Mass ride.
Old 12-26-22, 08:05 AM
melville

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
@steine13, and here's my RockHopper Sport from 1992!

Getting ready to start the Critical Mass ride.
Hot damn, that's the Schwazz! Just a few feet from where McKinley useta hold forth!
Likes For melville:
Old 12-26-22, 01:18 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by melville
Hot damn, that's the Schwazz! Just a few feet from where McKinley useta hold forth!
That it is. It was also one of the last daylight rides until spring. Winter Critical Mass rides have their advantages; fewer people (anything north of 200 is too many, especially when we go round and round the roundabouts) and I get to use my lights!

BTW, November's election had some controversy for Arcata; we're now officially going to fly the earth flag above the U.S. flag, and councilmember Brett Watson, who has gone completely mental, was soundly defeated. It's a pity, because he started out as a good man, with great ideas, and he really loves Arcata. The new city council is all women; should be fun. In the larger picture, the Humboldt County BoS is going to be majority progressive for the first time ever. I'm really looking forward to January.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.