Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A Fake 3Rensho?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A Fake 3Rensho?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-23, 01:31 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
I know I'm late to the party but to me that bottom bracket shell does not look like anything that typically comes on a 3Rensho. Not that there is anything wrong with the one above, but not a 3Rensho. Lots of examples on the 'bay.
None of the details in this bike are 3R except the decals. Hasn’t this bike been posted before in a thread about making a 3R I can’t afford?
Old 01-02-23, 06:45 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-t-afford.html
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-02-23, 06:59 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Does the serial format match up to any known ones?

I think it's hard to get a good return on your investment taking a decent quality Japanese frameset and turning into a highend brand and only selling it for the price of the kit on the bike.

I think I'd buy it, although with the knowledge I might be buying a Nishiki, SR or Centurion (I just picked three brands at random) because I could likely get most of my money back reselling it as kit and frame.

That "replica" isn't as clear as it was in the other thread.
Old 01-02-23, 07:03 AM
seypat

I'd be afraid of the rust under the paint. You can see it coming out on the headset and dropouts. The more you look, the more rust you see. The CL listing should be flagged until the poster puts some clarification/disclosure in the title. Save some potential buyers some time and gas money.

Last edited by seypat; 01-02-23 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-02-23, 08:09 AM
Yelbom15

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
None of the details in this bike are 3R except the decals. Hasn’t this bike been posted before in a thread about making a 3R I can’t afford?

You're kidding me! That’s amazing. I love this community.
Old 01-02-23, 10:22 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 643 Posts
here is a real 3 rensho katana for sale in comparison, price of the frame alone is 1800$ and this one is real thing
Old 01-03-23, 11:03 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 185 Posts
This may be an authentic 3Rensho. Not all 3Renshos had offset forks, the distinctive cast "Superend" dropouts, or engraved seat stay caps. They had fairly large sales of entry-level models that lacked any of the features associated with the collectable 3Renshos; I've seen many of them pop up on Japanese auction sites. In the USA, they were sometimes, but not always, sold under the "3Rensho Athlete" moniker.

Instead of asking "is this legit?" the question should be, what do you want in a 3Rensho and what do you want to pay for that? If you want it because you're deeply interested in the brand and/or want a premium Japanese steel bike, pass on this one because it's not a great example of a 3Rensho, legit or otherwise. Be ready to shell out the big $$$'s if you want a 3Rensho that's unquestionably legit and handmade in the 3Rensho shop, as opposed to a mass-produced model. For this bike, if you like it for what it is and what it's priced at, go for it. Just don't fool yourself that it's going to be worth a lot if/when you sell it, because it's clearly not a premium steel bike and the provenance will always be in question due to the lack of the traditional features that identify it as a 3Rensho.

Last edited by Catnap; 01-03-23 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-03-23, 11:12 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Catnap
This may be an authentic 3Rensho. Not all 3Renshos had offset forks, the distinctive cast "Superend" dropouts, or engraved seat stay caps. They had fairly large sales of entry-level models that lacked any of the features associated with the collectable 3Renshos; I've seen many of them pop up on Japanese auction sites. In the USA, they were sometimes, but not always, sold under the "3Rensho Athlete" moniker.

Instead of asking "is this legit?" the question should be, what do you want in a 3Rensho and what do you want to pay for that? If you want it because you're deeply interested in the brand and/or want a premium Japanese steel bike, pass on this one because it's not a great example of a 3Rensho, legit or otherwise. Be ready to shell out the big $$$'s if you want a 3Rensho that's unquestionably legit and handmade in the 3Rensho shop, as opposed to a mass-produced model. For this bike, if you like it for what it is and what it's priced at, go for it. Just don't fool yourself that it's going to be worth a lot if/when you sell it, because it's clearly not a premium steel bike and the provenance will always be in question due to the lack of the traditional features that identify it as a 3Rensho.
Did you read the rest of the thread? Read the link in post 27.
Old 01-03-23, 05:13 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
That "replica" isn't as clear as it was in the other thread.
Yes, I was wondering the same thing, could it be the lighting. I take it this bike has passed through a few hands, it would be nice if cdaniels would chime in with a bit of history.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 01-03-23, 07:56 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
I must say that someone did an excellent job with the paint and decals. I would probably give it a second look if it were local.