Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-23, 05:59 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
My pal is now on Day 5 of his quest to stop disc squealing and get some actually stopping power! Rotors degreased and sanded. Repeat several times. He's on the 3rd set of pads, under the assumption that they were irrecoverably contaminated. But, we see this at the shop every day.

I would counter that a braking systems lack of resilience to pilot error is in fact an indication of inferiority. Besides the general truism that on road bikes, discs are heavy, fussy and unnecessary.
You mentioned earlier that the brakes we contaminated because he touched the rotors with greasy hands; degreasing, sanding, 3 sets of pads did not fix this.
You mentioned earlier that you went to a bike shop to purchase a $15,000 bicycle but were shocked to find no bikes with rim brakes and integrated headsets, etc so you left.
Now you say you work at a shop but aren't offering to help your "pal"

Something isn't adding up here.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 01-08-23, 06:29 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeM21
NO DISC BRAKES OR ELECTRONIC SHIFTING!!!

(Unless someone wants to buy me a Colnago V4Rs with Super Record EPS. My birthday's in 7 weeks, just sayin')
Your wife said she was thinking of getting the Colnago for you, but we told her you didn't like disc brakes or electronic shifting, and she decided to get you something else. Enjoy your new sweater.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-08-23, 07:52 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I'm out of popcorn and at this rate, I can't afford anymore.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-08-23, 08:17 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
My pal is now on Day 5 of his quest to stop disc squealing and get some actually stopping power! Rotors degreased and sanded. Repeat several times. He's on the 3rd set of pads, under the assumption that they were irrecoverably contaminated. But, we see this at the shop every day.

I would counter that a braking systems lack of resilience to pilot error is in fact an indication of inferiority. Besides the general truism that on road bikes, discs are heavy, fussy and unnecessary.
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
You mentioned earlier that the brakes we contaminated because he touched the rotors with greasy hands; degreasing, sanding, 3 sets of pads did not fix this.
You mentioned earlier that you went to a bike shop to purchase a $15,000 bicycle but were shocked to find no bikes with rim brakes and integrated headsets, etc so you left.

The art of BS'ing isn't about lying or exaggeration -- it's about spewing words that bear no relation to anything resembling truth. Just random nonsense.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-08-23, 09:06 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I can't believe there's anyone in the world who would give up a rim brake road bike that they like for a disc brake bike for that reason only. But the world is made up of all types so I guess people must do that.

Don't get me wrong: I have nothing against disc brakes. My newest bike has disc brakes and electronic shifting - I like both well enough. But I would not give up my rim/mechanical bikes simply because of the brakes. It's just not that important. Marginal if anything.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-08-23, 09:22 PM
kommisar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
If you didn't fall for that propaganda about freewheels you wouldn't need brakes at all. And while we're at it, if you hadn't fallen to that siren song that is pneumatic tires, you wouldn't need removable valves, sealant or inflators. Get off of my lawn.

Last edited by kommisar; 01-08-23 at 09:27 PM.
Likes For kommisar:
Old 01-08-23, 09:24 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged

I honestly don't try to urinate upwards on a rope with people online, and that wasn't what I was trying to do with his "pal". But I too wondered about the shop reference. I learned 40 years ago in auto shop to not touch brake surfaces. I assumed that anyone working in a bike shop would have understood that touching a rotor with "greasy paws" was a mistake. If not, I wouldn't want my bike worked on in that shop.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-09-23, 05:52 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The thread topic asks those with rim brakes if they will keep rim brake bikes. Don't be surprised to then see people with rim brakes explaining why they will keep their rim brake bikes.

Yeah, there are some who make a big deal of it. And there are some on the forum who wax poetically about the virtues of disc and make it seem like before 2015, everyone was on the verge of launching off cliffs on their road bikes due to unsafe caliper brakes.
Your over the top claim was over the top. Attempting to justify it just allows for further discussion on how militant some are on the disc brake side of things too.
Meanwhile, there is an overwhelming group in the middle that has both and/or just isn't passionate, but gets lumped into claims made by the extreme.
I disagree. These threads always go exactly the same way i.e. they start off with a few sensible, benign comments and then some diehard rim brake guy comes along trying to convince themselves that they are smarter than all those people who moved on to disc brakes. I don't think I've ever seen a comment like that in reverse. Maybe you can show me an example? I think these extreme militants you speak of are almost entirely on the rim brake side of the argument and they soon derail any brake related thread.

There's quite a difference between raving about how amazing your brakes are (whatever type) and rubbishing the different choices other people have made. It's always a few rim brake guys who do the latter. Rather than just stating how amazing their rim brakes are, they just can't help listing all the reasons why they think disc brakes are crap and how they are so much smarter than everyone who was taken in by "Big Bike". Then it inevitably kicks off and the thread ends up just like this one.

I find it both pathetic and amusing.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-09-23, 05:55 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Maybe you can show me an example?
I nominate your post.
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-09-23, 06:06 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by smd4
Disk brakes are ugly, inelegant, heavy, and by many accounts a PITA to deal with, in terms of maintenance, installation, etc. In my admittedly limited experience, they provide little modulation, and are basically an "ON/OFF" proposition. I can stop my bike using single fingers on the levers, so I have plenty of stopping power available. Do disk brakes stop good in wet conditions? Sure. But I don't ride in wet conditions. I have a road racing bike--so for me, what other benefit to them is there?

We'll see what happens to them when everything old becomes new again. Vinyl records, anyone?
My opinion is based upon many things, my experience included.

BTW, experience isn’t everything. I don’t have to eat dog shoot to know it would be a bad idea.
I’m not even sure what this means. I could launch myself over the bars with my index finger on the hoods. How much “better braking” do I need?

Disc brakes offer no discernible benefit to me, but instead include a plethora of drawbacks.
You do realize that you’re not allowed to disagree with the groupthink that pervades this place, right?
I nominate your post.
Pretty ironic considering it was your opening effort that launched this thread down the pan.
Old 01-09-23, 07:24 AM
smd4

Pretty ironic considering it was your opening effort that launched this thread down the pan.
Settle down.

Disc brakes offer no discernible benefit to me.
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-09-23, 07:46 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Can anybody prove this thread hasn't been hacked by an AI chatbot?
Old 01-09-23, 08:11 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I actually think the OP is a sock. Look at the subjects of the threads he/she is starting. As we know, controversy gets clicks. Advertisers want clicks.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-09-23, 08:23 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
3 days and 213 replies. Keep 'em coming!
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-09-23, 08:32 AM
PeteHski

Settle down.

Disc brakes offer no discernible benefit to me.
Nobody would have argued with you had you simply stated that. But you just couldn't help yourself opening your first post on this thread with "Disk brakes are ugly, inelegant, heavy, and by many accounts a PITA to deal with, in terms of maintenance, installation, etc." Statements like this are guaranteed to bring down a rim vs disc brake thread. But it happens every time and that was my point.
Old 01-09-23, 08:40 AM
smd4

But you just couldn't help yourself opening your first post on this thread with "Disk brakes are ugly, inelegant, heavy, and by many accounts a PITA to deal with, in terms of maintenance, installation, etc." Statements like this are guaranteed to bring down a rim vs disc brake thread. But it happens every time and that was my point.
So, just so we're clear: I'm not allowed to express my opinion. Because you don't like it.

Check.
Old 01-09-23, 09:03 AM
PeteHski

So, just so we're clear: I'm not allowed to express my opinion. Because you don't like it.

Check.
You can say whatever you like. You got the response your "opinion" deserved from several posters. It was inevitable really.
Old 01-09-23, 10:01 AM
smd4

You can say whatever you like. You got the response your "opinion" deserved from several posters. It was inevitable really.
So if I say nice things about disc brakes, I will “deserve” a different response?

Check. Again.
Old 01-09-23, 10:16 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 391 Posts
My opinion as a 195# (in shape) rider. 3600 miles on my disc brake road bike, 1500+ miles on my disc brake CX bike.

I flat love them. Have zero issues with rub/squeal or noises. The CX bike is ridden offroad/gravel & sees more dirt/grime. The brakes are holding up fine. The road bike brakes were just checked and are at 1/3 of their service life.

I will never be a 160# rider. I need the extra stopping power, and use it... I'm not worried about an extra pound or so on the bike, makes little difference to my overall system weight.

And the rims are more durable for heavy riders. After flat exploding a set of Dura Ace rims and constantly dealing with bent rims/broken spokes on my rim brake bikes - I've had zero issues with the disc brake wheelsets.

That being said - I have a bunch of older Dura Ace stuff from my cracked CF rim brake frame that I will be using to build a lightweight rim brake bike for the local flat/fast bike path.
Old 01-09-23, 10:17 AM
PeteHski

So if I say nice things about disc brakes, I will “deserve” a different response?

Check. Again.
Well you could just say nice things about rim brakes without starting off with slating disc brakes, which you happen to have very little experience of - which is really obvious from your opinion. But my point was that this kind of nonsense is what causes ALL these rim vs disc brake threads to end up as a train wreck. The evidence is right here in this thread after your first post.
Old 01-09-23, 10:31 AM
smd4

Well you could just say nice things about rim brakes without starting off with slating disc brakes, which you happen to have very little experience of - which is really obvious from your opinion. But my point was that this kind of nonsense is what causes ALL these rim vs disc brake threads to end up as a train wreck. The evidence is right here in this thread after your first post.
Must be nice feeling that you can tell people what they can post, how to post it, and what not to post. I wonder where that power comes from?
Old 01-09-23, 10:47 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
The BF Motto: "If you get tired of arguing the topic, argue about the arguing." This is one absurd little sandbox.
Old 01-09-23, 11:01 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Well, at least with dork discs you didn't have to spend an hour removing pads, sanding rotors and degreasing everything every time you accidentally touched your rotors with greasy paws.
This ^^^ isn't actually a thing that happens for most people. Changing out disc brake pads is easier than rim brake pads. Cleaning rotors is pretty darn easy, too.

My pal is currently going through hell trying to figure out how to stop the squeal on his discs, and actually get as much stopping power as he had on rim brakes. Day three and counting.
This sounds a lot like he doesn't know what he's doing, and it probably chasing the wrong solutions to the issues. I went through the same kinds of struggles when I was learning how to set up rim brakes over 30 years ago.
Old 01-09-23, 11:38 AM
CFLBIKE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
To reply to the OP. Yes I am keeping my rim brake frames.

To reply to the OP. Yes I am keeping my rim brake frames.

Bent the rear derailleur hanger on my road bike. Not my fault this time. Was hoping a new hanger would fix the shifting issue but stopped to look at the new bikes on the way out of the shop just in case. A very bored and nice bike shop person with time to kill came over to show me the new bikes and explain how to set them up in the manner I prefer even after being told most likely would not be buying. To get a new bike better than my current bike the price tag would have been about $5000.00 plus about another $600.00 in parts and tools to make the changes I like.

Would I like a current bike with all the new features? Yes, But just bought an 10 to 12 year old used one with high end components (Dura-Ace) with low use that sat years in a garage with scratched up paint cost me $100.00 for a spare. The frame fits me. Tires and other parts to make it as I like will be around another $160.00 when done. All ready have the tools and experience to do the work. It is nice have a spare road bike that I can get 16MPH average speed out of. Just did that this weekend with it and upgrades are not finished yet. Any one wish to sell me their newer up to date road bike for this amount? I think I hear crickets. Any way some of us luddites will be running rim brakes for a while yet. At least till today's modern bikes are no longer current and are unwanted.
Likes For CFLBIKE:
Old 01-09-23, 11:52 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
I disagree. These threads always go exactly the same way i.e. they start off with a few sensible, benign comments and then some diehard rim brake guy comes along trying to convince themselves that they are smarter than all those people who moved on to disc brakes. I don't think I've ever seen a comment like that in reverse. Maybe you can show me an example? I think these extreme militants you speak of are almost entirely on the rim brake side of the argument and they soon derail any brake related thread.

There's quite a difference between raving about how amazing your brakes are (whatever type) and rubbishing the different choices other people have made. It's always a few rim brake guys who do the latter. Rather than just stating how amazing their rim brakes are, they just can't help listing all the reasons why they think disc brakes are crap and how they are so much smarter than everyone who was taken in by "Big Bike". Then it inevitably kicks off and the thread ends up just like this one.

I find it both pathetic and amusing.
The over-the-top exaggerations and outright lies get me to weigh into what is obviously a waste of time. Hopefully, a rational person will be able to see these Luddites for what they are and make informed decisions. As I mentioned earlier, these traditional-style forums are a vestige of early dial-up internet days. They are populated by a much older, less contemporary demographic that time has left behind. The majority of bikes participants boastfully post images of usually have a minimum of 1" or 2" headset spacers as a starting point and a riser stem, not the usual build of a group of active and passionate cyclists. Traditional triggers keep on being discussed and ranted about. Carbon fibre has a limited lifespan, tubular tires, 3X drivetrains; gravel bikes are a marketing scam; Italian vintage bikes have a superior ride and build quality, titanium vibration absorbing qualities, bar end shifters, wide tubeless tires etc all of which are relevant only to someone who delivered newspapers by bike in the 70's.

But I keep coming back, so it's on me, that's for sure.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.