Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Grenaded a freewheel tool...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-08-23, 04:44 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts

Found a random wheel with a Sachs LY 96 freewheel, M700 high flange MTB hub. Freewheel frozen, but salvageable, and figured the hub was definitely worth salvaging.

Hit it with some PBB to loosen up the freewheel and sit overnight. Freewheel started to spin once the grease dissolved, but the freewheel wasn't budging off the hub with standard force and a 24" adjustable wrench. Slapped my Shimano fw tool in the vice and gave it a couple torques... SMASH! Shattered to many small bits.

I bought this one on Amazon a couple years back to replace my Bicycle Research tools. Knowing Amazon, it's entirely possible it's not even legit, there's so many knockoffs on there anymore.

Anyone seen similar? I've definitely put more force into others. No clue why this blew to bits. Yes, I was definitely spinning the correct way!

Likes For francophile:
Old 01-08-23, 04:47 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Oof!
Old 01-08-23, 04:59 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
Found a random wheel with a Sachs LY 96 freewheel, M700 high flange MTB hub. Freewheel frozen, but salvageable, and figured the hub was definitely worth salvaging.

Hit it with some PBB to loosen up the freewheel and sit overnight. Freewheel started to spin once the grease dissolved, but the freewheel wasn't budging off the hub with standard force and a 24" adjustable wrench. Slapped my Shimano fw tool in the vice and gave it a couple torques... SMASH! Shattered to many small bits.

I bought this one on Amazon a couple years back to replace my Bicycle Research tools. Knowing Amazon, it's entirely possible it's not even legit, there's so many knockoffs on there anymore.

Anyone seen similar? I've definitely put more force into others. No clue why this blew to bits. Yes, I was definitely spinning the correct way!

Yeah, that's that famous park tool quality.
Park tool stands behind their product with a lifetime "you bought it, you got it" guarantee.
They say they are forged, I say they are cast. I'd bet money on it.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 01-08-23, 05:02 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts

I've had an old uniglide one that had the teeth grind down and an Ice Toolz version cracked apart like yours. It is likely from over hardening the steel, which will make it strong but instead of stretching or deforming, it will instead fail by blowing apart like a cracked egg.
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 01-08-23, 05:04 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Park tool stands behind their product with a lifetime "you bought it, you got it" guarantee.
I’m normally a Park hater but that’s a Shimano TL-FW30 in the picture.
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 01-08-23, 06:25 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
That tool does have a thin wall on it. And that is some damage on the tool. Wow. It was hardened. That is for sure.

All I can say is try it again with a new tool or bring it to a bike shop and see if they have better luck.

Heat often helps as well. If things get to the point that you break another tool, dismantle the freewheel so that you can heat up the only inner part of the freewheel without heating up the rest of the freewheel and try it again. Keep cycling the heat until it gives. It will come off.

Last edited by Velo Mule; 01-08-23 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Because I missed the fact that Francophile said that he did the bench mount method.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 01-08-23, 06:39 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
That tool does have a thin wall on it. And that is some damage on the tool. Wow. It was hardened. That is for sure.

All I can say is try it again with a new tool or bring it to a bike shop and see if they have better luck.

Heat often helps as well. If things get to the point that you break another tool, dismantle the freewheel so that you can heat up the only inner part of the freewheel without heating up the rest of the freewheel and try it again. Keep cycling the heat until it gives. It will come off.
I may try again with heat, and thanks for the edit, although I realize in hindsight I misspelled "vise".

I still have the wheel. I'm actually going to try heating the freewheel, and hit it from the backside with PB to cool it, sometimes that'll wick penetrant up between the metals as it cools. I just don't know if I want to risk exploding another tool. Definitely not going to throw my Bicycle Research version, even though it's thicker-walled and I think he machines from solid block vs. cast+harden, I don't want to grenade it also.

Old 01-08-23, 07:06 PM
Steel1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 52 Posts
I have the Park FR-1.2 which has similar thin walls. Never had a problem, even with prodigious torque applied with my 3’ long pipe breaker bar extender.
Old 01-08-23, 08:14 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by Steel1
I have the Park FR-1.2 which has similar thin walls. Never had a problem, even with prodigious torque applied with my 3’ long pipe breaker bar extender.
For S&G, I ordered a couple off the old scammerzon site. One from VANICE, and another from Bikehand. I wanted to try the BW brand, looked similar to the VANICE, the longer body looks appealing. Will see how it goes.

Old 01-08-23, 08:31 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Jeebus. The Shimano tools are impact rated, so that's some serious torque that went through there.
Likes For wschruba:
Old 01-08-23, 08:41 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts

yeah, need to resume clean living
Likes For repechage:
Old 01-08-23, 09:08 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 494 Times in 226 Posts
In the iffy advice dept, I use a very low powered air impact gun on some stuff like this. My big one would do what just happened, blow the tool apart. My really low power one with air adjustment dialed down sort of beats/vibrates the stuff apart without damaging the tool. You really have to know your air tools to do that. YMMV
Old 01-09-23, 11:44 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
BUMMER!

I had a Campagnolo crank removal tool shear in half, if that counts. It broke right at a stress riser which coincided with where the wall was thinnest.

At the time, I was devastated. Obviously, I am still disturbed by it.

I do still have the "peanut butter wrench" that went with it when I purchased the pair.
Old 01-09-23, 12:21 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Note to self: Do not challenge @francophile to an arm-wrestling match.
Old 01-09-23, 12:43 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by etherhuffer
In the iffy advice dept, I use a very low powered air impact gun on some stuff like this. My big one would do what just happened, blow the tool apart. My really low power one with air adjustment dialed down sort of beats/vibrates the stuff apart without damaging the tool. You really have to know your air tools to do that. YMMV
Know your compressor, you mean? You could just dial down the regulator for less kick, right? I contemplated throwing my electric IH on it, but the only impact socket I have in that size is 1/2" and my IH is 3/4" drive. I lack an impact reducer for that stepdown. I thought about whipping out my butterfly IH to feather it out. I can't seem to find that damn thing. I found my impact chisel. Not sure where my butterfly went. So much of my stuff is boxed right now...

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
I do still have the "peanut butter wrench" that went with it when I purchased the pair.
Those Campy PB wrenches are the best. I dunno what the hell I'd do without mine. Out of all the tools I own, it and my Campy t-handle are king. I could live without half my tools just having a pair of PBs and one t-handle.

Old 01-09-23, 12:46 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
my guess (and I'm not a metallurgist, not even on TV) is this was just "bad luck" due to the tool being thin-walled, cast steel (and prone to having some hidden defects in that casting process) then heat-treated to make the splines "harder" but the entire tool more brittle, which is a trade-off.
If this had been made by forging and then finished machining it may not have "exploded" but probably cost a great deal more and there are still other ways a tool can fail (broke my heart when a beloved VERY thin-walled Phil splined FW tool "collasped" on me! But my replacement, same tool, has held up).
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 01-09-23, 01:30 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
I've broken thin-wall Phil removers, and Park's two-prong SunTour removers, but not (yet) a Shimano TL-FW30.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-09-23, 01:34 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,740 Times in 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Note to self: Do not challenge @francophile to an arm-wrestling match.
to show that great minds think the same (take that for what you will ) i was about to put the exact comment in

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 01-09-23, 01:45 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I look at those hubs and those removers and simply think that's collectively poor design to have one of the most highly torqued tool used on a bike to have that little material at the key spot. And yes, a delicate balancing act between hardness and strength with the real answer being more material.

Both Park and Shimano make good tools. But designing (or not designing and simple following along and making) FWs and hubs that require that thin a tool - well we really need a new metal that is substantially stronger and brittle failure free than steel. Or live our lives dedicated to the notion that FW threads will always be properly greased and not sit for years and decades, then removed. Or just accept that every once in a while, those tools break. (A good reason to clamp them in a vise and turn the wheel with both hands vs using a big wrench. Much less exciting. You don't slam your hands into things.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-09-23, 01:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

I may try again with heat, and thanks for the edit, although I realize in hindsight I misspelled "vise".

You just witnessed one of the dark places playing with vices can take us.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-09-23, 03:16 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I look at those hubs and those removers and simply think that's collectively poor design to have one of the most highly torqued tool used on a bike to have that little material at the key spot. And yes, a delicate balancing act between hardness and strength with the real answer being more material.
Other, thicker-wall tools were available for the Atom/Regina/Zeus splined interface, but those often required removing axle locknuts to seat the tool. In the case of Phil hubs, this wasn't possible, which is why they produced their extra-thin remover tool. That tool became popular with other hubs as well, since there was no need to remove the locknuts to seat the tool.

Both Park and Shimano make good tools. But designing (or not designing and simple following along and making) FWs and hubs that require that thin a tool - well we really need a new metal that is substantially stronger and brittle failure free than steel. Or live our lives dedicated to the notion that FW threads will always be properly greased and not sit for years and decades, then removed. Or just accept that every once in a while, those tools break. (A good reason to clamp them in a vise and turn the wheel with both hands vs using a big wrench. Much less exciting. You don't slam your hands into things.)
As others have noted above, the Shimano tools were impact-rated, but they can still fail. Fortunately, the need for unbreakable freewheel tools has been largely obviated by the wide adoption of freehubs, whose cassette lockrings don't need to be super-tight, and don't self-tighten with use. Only those of us who use and service the older technology need suffer with the breakable remover tools.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-09-23, 03:17 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 494 Times in 226 Posts
Know your compressor, you mean? You could just dial down the regulator for less kick, right? I contemplated throwing my electric IH on it, but the only impact socket I have in that size is 1/2" and my IH is 3/4" drive. I lack an impact reducer for that stepdown. I thought about whipping out my butterfly IH to feather it out. I can't seem to find that damn thing. I found my impact chisel. Not sure where my butterfly went. So much of my stuff is boxed right now...

Those Campy PB wrenches are the best. I dunno what the hell I'd do without mine. Out of all the tools I own, it and my Campy t-handle are king. I could live without half my tools just having a pair of PBs and one t-handle.
Yes, I have a nice line pressure adjuster
Likes For etherhuffer:
Old 01-09-23, 08:14 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
That may be true about Park Tool's freewheel removal tool(s). But the OP's tool - or what's left of it - appears to be marked "SHIMANO TL-FW30".

Last edited by Hondo6; 01-09-23 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-09-23, 09:28 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Other, thicker-wall tools were available for the Atom/Regina/Zeus splined interface, but those often required removing axle locknuts to seat the tool. In the case of Phil hubs, this wasn't possible, which is why they produced their extra-thin remover tool. That tool became popular with other hubs as well, since there was no need to remove the locknuts to seat the tool.

I know and appreciate the history, but still - the end result is poor from this engineer's view. (Like narrow chains and big wheel dish. Yes, it all works but the simple 1/2" x 1/8" chain and no or velodrome levels of dish; now those are clean solution!) (I never did like the need to unscrew the right locknut. I like that side near permanently tight and do everything from the left.)
Old 01-09-23, 09:33 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by Hondo6
That may be true about Park Tool's freewheel removal tool(s). But the OP's tool - or what's left of it - appears to be marked "SHIMANO TL-FW30".
That was a Park employee having a little fun. Got fired the next day and every trace of his employment banished.
Likes For 79pmooney:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.