Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So much resistance to change

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So much resistance to change

Old 01-10-23, 03:07 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
What is it about the cycling community that is so resistance to change, and have such narrow minded attitudes. You can go back to 1934 when bents were banned from racing, because just one guy was winning all the races and time trials. Or maybe further back to about 1890 when the "safety bike" superseded the penny-farthling. Then come forward to the middle 80s when click shifting came out, most roadies claimed they would never use it. Also in that time frame mountain bikes were scoffed at in the beginning. Closer to this time frame, disc brakes were roundly put down, and some made it sound like in a crash, riders would be slashed so bad they would never ride again!!!! And lastly the huge out cry against bikes and trikes with electric motors. IMO almost all these things I have mentioned are huge advances, because it makes bikes better, easer to use for more people, safer, and increases the number of people that cycle.

Then we have the question of just who is a cyclist. The really hard core claim that unless you ride a $5000 bike, and have $500 kit you really are not a cyclist. IMO ANYONE that pedals a 1, 2, 3, or a 4 wheel machine is a cyclist. That includes little Susie and her sidewalk bike with training wheels.

So what are the thots of others on the forum???
Likes For badger1:
Old 01-10-23, 03:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Then come forward to the middle 80s when click shifting came out, most roadies claimed they would never use it. Also in that time frame mountain bikes were scoffed at in the beginning.
'Click shifting' was introduced and took off like wildfire. It was a huge success. At an industry conference, brands actually hesitated at the idea of indexed shifting, but they were shown to have totally missed the market as it was wildly popular. This is well documented.
Also, MTBs were hardly scoffed at in the beginning. Once Specialized took Ritchey's bike and mass produced it into the Stumpjumper in '81, brands couldnt keep up with demand as MTBs were introduced by all brands thru the early 80s. The first shipment of Stumpjumpers sold out in less than a week.

Dont use these examples moving forward as they run completely counter to your agenda.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-10-23, 03:58 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
What is it about the cycling community that is so resistance to change, and have such narrow minded attitudes.
Gross generalizations are seldom accurate. The "cycling community," like all communities, consists of the entire array of luddites, middle-of-the-roaders, and cutting-edgers. The widespread acceptance of electronic shifting, disc brakes, and carbon fiber frames refutes your premise.

The really hard core claim that unless you ride a $5000 bike, and have $500 kit you really are not a cyclist.
Hyperbole may be your favorite tool, but it's become dull through overuse.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-10-23, 04:02 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
The first thing that comes to mind with recumbents is an old man walking hunched over with a cane.
For me, it's this:

Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-10-23, 04:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
Are T-hots like tater tots with some spicy peppers mixed in? That sounds delicious I will take a bucket of some T-hots please.

Here is something that is harder to argue against: generally most tater tots are at least decent (obviously not if allergic to potatoes or you don't like tater tots). Actual fries can be quite bad but it is rare that a tater tot is bad.

No need to get 'bent out of shape though!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-10-23, 04:32 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,038 Times in 3,800 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Are T-hots like tater tots with some spicy peppers mixed in? That sounds delicious I will take a bucket of some T-hots please.

Here is something that is harder to argue against: generally most tater tots are at least decent (obviously not if allergic to potatoes or you don't like tater tots). Actual fries can be quite bad but it is rare that a tater tot is bad.

Damnit. Now I'm craving tots. Spicy tots!!
Old 01-10-23, 04:35 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Big Potato is forcing us to eat French fries instead of tater tots, even though everyone prefers tater tots.
Old 01-10-23, 04:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Big Potato is forcing us to eat French fries instead of tater tots, even though everyone prefers tater tots.
Well I do like a properly double cooked shoestring potato with a nice kiss of good salt not deep brown but lightly. I will take those over most anything. I love tots but a properly done shoestring fry is a tough one to dethrone for me but I think for so many it is hard for them to get right or they are just lazy as hell. Yes a fry at lower temps and then cranking it up for a second fry is time consuming and plus potential other work to make them perfect but it does help immensely and doesn't cost a lot extra (aside from a little time) Also we need more curly fries.

rydabent forget about whatever you were complaining about and focus on getting more tater tots and curly fries on menus nationwide, people will be happier and you might get considered a grand hero of the revolution. Now "Duck you, sucker"
also for another movie reference:
"Po-tay-toes! Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew" - Samwise Gamgee
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-10-23, 05:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Well I do like a properly double cooked shoestring potato with a nice kiss of good salt not deep brown but lightly. I will take those over most anything. I love tots but a properly done shoestring fry is a tough one to dethrone for me but I think for so many it is hard for them to get right or they are just lazy as hell. Yes a fry at lower temps and then cranking it up for a second fry is time consuming and plus potential other work to make them perfect but it does help immensely and doesn't cost a lot extra (aside from a little time) Also we need more curly fries.

rydabent forget about whatever you were complaining about and focus on getting more tater tots and curly fries on menus nationwide, people will be happier and you might get considered a grand hero of the revolution. Now "Duck you, sucker"
also for another movie reference:
"Po-tay-toes! Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew" - Samwise Gamgee
I'm a shoestring fry guy in a house of steak fry ladies.
Old 01-10-23, 05:23 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Old 01-10-23, 05:34 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Usually, people with this kind of persecution complex have been born twice.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 01-10-23, 05:51 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8257 Post(s)
Liked 8,978 Times in 4,451 Posts
Likes For big john:
Old 01-10-23, 06:12 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts

Then we have the question of just who is a cyclist. The really hard core claim that unless you ride a $5000 bike, and have $500 kit you really are not a cyclist. IMO ANYONE that pedals a 1, 2, 3, or a 4 wheel machine is a cyclist. That includes little Susie and her sidewalk bike with training wheels.

I think the key to your statement is the word "pedals". I don't consider anyone who rides a bicycle-looking machine with a motor and a throttle to be a bicyclist. They're a motorcyclist. Just because it's quiet doesn't make it less of a motor.

I haven't seen a lot of resistance to e-bikes; they're selling like hot cakes. I think pedal bicyclists are resistant to them because they can be a menace on the MUPs and as i said above, those that have throttles, aren't in the same league at all and don't belong among bicycles.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-10-23, 06:17 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Eric F
Damnit. Now I'm craving tots. Spicy tots!!
Damn you guys! I haven't had tater tots in years, and now I'm dying for some. Bathed in ketchup, obviously.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-10-23, 06:18 PM
Koyote

My thought is that "thots" is not a word.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-10-23, 06:19 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
I’d like to try a tadpole.

That said, even if I like it I don’t see a recumbent as replacing any bike for what or why I ride bikes.
I had a decent tadpole trike when I was recovering from sholder surgery and couldn't ride a 2 wheeler. It was fun and I'm glad I was "forced" into buying one and riding it for a few months. But as soon as I got the go-ahead from my surgeon, I got back on the 2 wheeler. The trike was fun enough but a real motherbear going up hill. I mean, very very low gearing required. The good thing is that you don't fall over going 1mph. I sold it as soon as I got back on the 2 wheeler because even though I'm a total slave to n+1 (a) a three wheeler takes up a lot of space which I didn't have and (b) I had a fleeting summer season to off load it.

If and when I can't ride a 2 wheeler, I'll get another one, probably as high of quality (i.e. lightweight as possible) as I can afford, with custom, low, low gearing.

Summary: fun, worth trying, but not a substitute for a 2 wheeler for me.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-10-23, 06:20 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Koyote
Damn you guys! I haven't had tater tots in years, and now I'm dying for some. Bathed in ketchup, obviously.
I'm a fan of BBQ sauce with tots.
Old 01-10-23, 06:23 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
The first thing that comes to mind with recumbents is an old man walking hunched over with a cane.
With any luck, we'll all be that old and maybe need a trike to stay on the road!
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-10-23, 06:25 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm a fan of BBQ sauce with tots.
oooh. yum.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-10-23, 06:26 PM
Camilo

Kind of like pumpkin pie: always decent/edible, but never exquisite like, for instance, a good apple pie. (sentiment stolen from Garrison Keillor)
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-10-23, 06:29 PM
Camilo

PS: It was surprisingly hard to find a real potato image
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-10-23, 06:32 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by Koyote
I think the millennials have fired up a renaissance of tater tots, one of the many good things they have done and will do for American cuisine. That and the charcuterie board. We boomers remember tater tots as something to throw at our friends at lunch time in elementary school in the 50s and 60s, and charcuterie boards as cut up stuff we have in the refrigerator as an accompaniment for beer in a make-shift meal. I have a new found liking for the tots and enjoy charcuterie board meals even at restaurants! And craft beer.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-10-23, 06:33 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
As with so many threads in this section, I believe it starts with a false premise and is not factual whatsoever. While there are plenty of people that prefer to ride classic rides, the industry as a whole does not make new bikes like that and most riders have moved on to hydraulic disc brakes, thru axles, etc. If we were all luddites, someone would still be offering new penny farthings.

I have also never once, not a single time, encountered anyone that said someone was not a cyclist because they did not have an expensive bike or expensive kit. I think most people that cycle realize there are levels of seriousness when it comes to cycling and and that there are some that are more serious, and less serious than themselves.

I think some people are just insecure in their choices and they imagine what others are thinking.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 01-10-23, 06:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I had a baked potato for dinner. No thoughts of tater tots in this house.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 01-10-23, 07:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I had a baked potato for dinner. No thoughts of tater tots in this house.
Baked potatoes are more acceptable then a truly bent philosophy about something about $5000 bikes or something.

Is not bike is potato

Vote to change this forum to the Potato forum? We all know bikes are on the way out but potatoes are timeless. For the folks like ole' bento box could have a sweet potato sub-forum and everyone is happy...LOL
Likes For veganbikes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.