Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So much resistance to change

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So much resistance to change

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-23, 09:07 AM
robobike316 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 61 Posts
I started riding, racing, and working in bike shops in the late 70's. Even then, the term "retrogrouch" was in existence.
For the most part though, people did embrace new technology as it came around. I got a pair of Duegi wooden soled, single bolt cleats within a year to replace the old TA nail on cleats and thought that was awesome. So did everyone else. The wool jerseys and shorts were replaced by lycra almost across the board when I was a kid.I never knew anyone to wear wool shorts after that.
I put a triple on an old road bike when I saw mountain bikes starting to appear, and then got a real mountain bike after my failed attempts at making one! Everyone embraced the mountain bike back then, from the serious road racers looking for more riding options to tourists as well as first time riders.
Indexing was embraced by almost everyone, on and off road. Clipless pedals took over quickly for all serious riders. Clip on aero bars, the Scot AT-4... Innovations came and went, but it seemed to me that everyone was looking for something better constantly. The industry generally delivered.
I had brake bridges on my cantilevers, a Mountain Tamer Quad on my mountain bike, (anyone remember those?) Zefals and Silcas got switched out for the latest, greatest, lightest, air inputting devices.
Aero levers got rid of our lovely, curvy cable housings. Modolo plastic levers replaced my Campys. The sew ups got switched out for MA-40s and there were no more $15 flats, That was awesome by me and every one I knew. 6,7,8, 9, 10 speed rear ends were all widely embraced.Please stop! I was happy with 7 and still am. 13- really?

The point is, I didn't see any significant resistance to change at all, rather the opposite. Yes, the retrogrouch was out there in his cave on Mount Crumpit, but he didn't come down to to Whoville much.

Now I am old and will not race again. My 4 bikes are all 70's friction steel and the only bit of "new tech" on any of them is clip less, even on the little Raleigh 20. I have gone back mostly to the simple, functional, cheap and elegant. Will not go back to sew ups though!
Old 01-11-23, 09:11 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I find modern road bikes are virtually maintenance-free apart from the usual drivetrain cleaning/lube.
My experience also.

I don't know anyone, myself included, warrantying frames, carbon wheels, Di2 components and hydraulic components at frequent intervals. Hell...my bike from 2016 has only had a new chainring, cassette, chain, BB bearings and brake pads changed once...But that's normal maintenance.

My bikes from the 80's and 90's I was constantly tinkering with things on it to make it run smoothly.
Old 01-11-23, 09:15 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
None of this is true.

"This is what I have personally experienced."
"No you havent."

Haha, too funny.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-11-23, 09:20 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
"No you havent."

Haha, too funny.
Seriously? C'mon. The bikes of today (much like vehicles) are light years better than any of that old stuff.
Old 01-11-23, 09:37 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
i thought this thead was about potatoes.
I wish we could call the whole thing off.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-11-23, 09:49 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 998 Posts
Seriously? C'mon. The bikes of today (much like vehicles) are light years better than any of that old stuff.
is "better" performance or reliability?
Old 01-11-23, 10:13 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Kontact
is "better" performance or reliability?
Both!!
Old 01-11-23, 10:43 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
If you work in a shop, then you see a lot of warranty issues that any given customer is unlikely to see. When I did field service on aircraft, it seems like our planes were all breaking down, but from an operational perspective, they never broke down. It's a matter of the population that your experience is being sampled from. There have been some recent designs that had a lot of problems, like the first grx brakes, but a lot of customers don't look at their brakes that often so they didn't notice. If every bike customer had so many problems that they thought bikes were unreliable then that would represent so many warranty issues that the bike companies would be out of business in a couple of years.
Old 01-11-23, 10:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Name one single person who has ever claimed this ever?

I believe his name is Straw McMahon.
Old 01-11-23, 10:59 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
What people need to resist is replying to these threads
... and thanks for setting such a good example.
Old 01-11-23, 11:03 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
For me, it's this:

Is that a bent?
Old 01-11-23, 11:03 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
It's easy to believe that warranty claims are more common today than they were 40-50 years ago, given the added complexity of bike components and the introduction of electronics. That being said, however, I'd bet the overall warranty rate is still very low. (Other than Garmin products, I haven't made a warranty claim on a bike product in 50 years and dozens of bikes.)
Old 01-11-23, 11:11 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
The bikes of today are light years better than any of that old stuff.
For you maybe. Not for me.
Old 01-11-23, 11:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

"No you havent."

Haha, too funny.

I don't get it--if someone says "in my experience, all people from Michigan eat nothing but tater tots", you can't question the truth of that generality?

If someone makes a broad general statement based on their personal experience, there's nothing illogical about challenging the truth of the broad general statement.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-11-23, 11:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by seypat
I wish we could call the whole thing off.

Bonus points if you can find someone actually pronouncing it "potahto" who isn't reciting or singing the lyrics to that song.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-11-23, 11:25 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
I would agree. But the thing is that bikes (and cars for that matter) are nostalgic and therefore emotive. Hence the considerable interest in C&V. Some people become emotionally attached to their old bikes, cars or whatever else. Others are less sentimental and tend to move on more readily with technical progress. I'm more of the latter type, but I can appreciate a little nostalgia without wearing rose-tinted specs. Resistance to change tends to be stronger with more sentimental types.
Old 01-11-23, 11:25 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 264 Posts
I like new technology and embrace evolution in all things cycling.
I ride a full mechanical Aethos because I don't want to spend the money on Di2, even at wholesale...bike shop employee, when I have a great Ultegra 11 speed kit but I'd go Di2 if i had a chance just because of the coolness factor.
Just sold an ebike to a woman this week. She is a rider but isn't at the same level as her husband so she can't ride with him and his friends because she can't keep up. Now with an ebike...pedal all the time model...she can and now is part of the group...that is a fantastic use of an ebike.
I don't consider people to be riders/cyclists that are riding a bike because they can't drive by judicial decree.
Old 01-11-23, 11:28 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
For me, it's this:

I didnt know that DF saddles gave you worms!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-23, 11:32 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Some people become emotionally attached to their old bikes.
Or ... they know absolutely everything about them, understand exactly how to easily keep them in like-new condition without hauling them to a bike shop to pay a stranger to maintain, and they can appreciate the simple perfection of their function.

Acknowledging beauty and functional perfection needn't be emotional. The fictional character Spock could do this.
Old 01-11-23, 11:32 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
What is your measurement for "better"?
Old 01-11-23, 11:33 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Bonus points if you can find someone actually pronouncing it "potahto" who isn't reciting or singing the lyrics to that song.
I've imbedded some pop culture references in posts trying to lighten the mood. I thought I had a good one in post 245 of the 'Keeping my Rim Brakes because I don't like Frisbees" thread. Went right over people's heads. Must be because I'm a codger. The tunnel vision is so strong trying to prove something wrong or right. Can't see the forest for the trees.

Last edited by seypat; 01-11-23 at 11:38 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-11-23, 11:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't get it--if someone says "in my experience, all people from Michigan eat nothing but tater tots", you can't question the truth of that generality?

If someone makes a broad general statement based on their personal experience, there's nothing illogical about challenging the truth of the broad general statement.
It isnt a broad general statement though.
Kontact specifically compared the current time period to prior time periods and kept it focused only to the experience within their shop.

Furthermore, nothing was questioned. smd just flat out said Kontact's analysis isnt true. No questioning there, just straight up saying Kontact is wrong and offering up no counter to show Kontact's in person experience is different.
Its was funny to read that because smd has no idea where Kontact even lives, much less what shop is being discussed or even which brand(s) Kontact has experience with. That all is quite different from your Michigan example since people could easily refute the claim by showing Michiganites eating things besides tater tots.

I now find it funny that I had to explain what seems like a very easily discernable difference between smd's ignorant claim that Kontact is saying untrue things, and your tater tot example.

ETA- I edited a few words in my last sentence because LDL seemed to see it as such an attack on prj that I had to be taken to task. Hopefully now that I rephrased 'lying' to 'is saying untrue things', LDL will be able to move on.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 01-11-23 at 03:01 PM.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-11-23, 11:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Better how?

If bikes of today have fewer warranty claims and they are therefore better, I cant speak to that because I have no idea. I have absolutely no clue if a higher or lower % of bikes these days have warranty claims. I dont work for a brand, I dont work for a shop, and I have never tried to find statistics that would inform me on such an issue.

Bikes of yesteryear were certainly simpler, and I could easily see that simplicity results in fewer warranty claims. Fewer parts, less technology, less electronics all would probably lead to lower warranty issues.
But that is a total guess on my part because as I said- I dont have any information to actually back that line of thinking up.

Its interesting that you have passionately argued for rim brake bikes in another thread, and the benefits of those are simplicity, reliability, and ease of service. Yet here you passionately argue that bikes with cutting edge design is light years better than any of that old stuff and there are fewer warranty claims.

I wont hold my breath waiting for any reliable data on this, to be clear.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-11-23, 12:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Better how?

If bikes of today have fewer warranty claims and they are therefore better, I cant speak to that because I have no idea. I have absolutely no clue if a higher or lower % of bikes these days have warranty claims. I dont work for a brand, I dont work for a shop, and I have never tried to find statistics that would inform me on such an issue.

Bikes of yesteryear were certainly simpler, and I could easily see that simplicity results in fewer warranty claims. Fewer parts, less technology, less electronics all would probably lead to lower warranty issues.
But that is a total guess on my part because as I said- I dont have any information to actually back that line of thinking up.

Its interesting that you have passionately argued for rim brake bikes in another thread, and the benefits of those are simplicity, reliability, and ease of service. Yet here you passionately argue that bikes with cutting edge design is light years better than any of that old stuff and there are fewer warranty claims.

I wont hold my breath waiting for any reliable data on this, to be clear.
I mean I don't have actual numbers because I don't really keep them but I did see a significant uptick in warranties in the early portions of the endemic but there were a lot of bikes in the shop and being bought so it could just be that. I think these days it is easier to file a claim and track stuff so I could also see that as a warranty booster. I hate playing phone tag but with no answering machine or caller ID it could be worse.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-11-23, 12:24 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
I have absolutely no clue if a higher or lower % of bikes these days have warranty claims.
Bingo. Absolute numbers are meaningless, since there will be more warranty claims now (compared to, say, forty years ago) simply because there are more bikes now. veganbikes makes this point, too:

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I mean I don't have actual numbers because I don't really keep them but I did see a significant uptick in warranties in the early portions of the endemic but there were a lot of bikes in the shop and being bought so it could just be that.
Likes For Koyote:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.