Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-23, 12:12 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,917 Times in 1,771 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
You do a lot of assuming don't you?
Who's doing the assuming? You assumed I was talking about you and your weight, when I never even mentioned you.
Old 01-12-23, 12:12 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,917 Times in 1,771 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I wasn't answering a question.
Obviously.
Old 01-12-23, 12:19 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4933 Post(s)
Liked 8,074 Times in 3,816 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
But nobody has ever experienced this kind of comment
Who said that? You previously commented about being ridiculed in a bike shop about your brakes, and then stated that the same would happen at any bike shop. Big John, Koyote, and badger1 said that they have not had that happen to them. Sounds to me like people just sharing their experiences. I don't see where anyone said that your experience didn't happen, only that they haven't had the same experience you did.

The one comment I got was by an ignorant kid out on the trail. I've gotten a lot more positive comments from people, especially those who used to ride a similar bike in years past.
Old 01-12-23, 12:27 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Who said that? You previously commented about being ridiculed in a bike shop about your brakes, and then stated that the same would happen at any bike shop. Big John, Koyote, and badger1 said that they have not had that happen to them. Sounds to me like people just sharing their experiences. I don't see where anyone said that your experience didn't happen, only that they haven't had the same experience you did.

The one comment I got was by an ignorant kid out on the trail. I've gotten a lot more positive comments from people, especially those who used to ride a similar bike in years past.
According to the rules of the internet, if one person does something, it follows logically that everybody is doing it all the time.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-12-23, 12:27 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by smd4
Who's doing the assuming? You assumed I was talking about you and your weight, when I never even mentioned you.
It's an easy assumption to make when you make this comment...
Originally Posted by smd4
I'm just glad I don't weigh 400 pounds. You should ride more.
...immediately below your quote of elcruxio's post mentioning having to stop 400lbs. The implication that you're talking about his weight is not vague.
Old 01-12-23, 12:55 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
The playground arguments continue.

One of my criteria for brakes is how much control do I have when I suddenly see I need to be going 15 mph slower than I am going. Example - coming down from McKenzie Pass to Sisters, OR. The first several miles had been fast, fun sweeping turns and not an issue on my 42-13 geared fix gear. Then I came to a much sharper turn right after the road dropped so I saw no advance warning. No way were my pedals clearing. I grabbed both brakes and squeezed. Hard! Full on adrenaline.

I had absolutely no time to think about doing that braking gracefully or carefully. Now this was first spring on my avatar bike that I had equipped with nice Shimano dual pivots, KoolStops and some levers with really big, comfortable, super climbing hoods/handles. Figured out as I was installing them and seeing the odd cable routing that they must be V-brake levers. Hmmph. Well I went with them anyway. Got used to the new feel; much less lever travel but the force modulation was excellent although braking from the hoods was less effective. (That was never my go to in situations where hard stopping might be needed,.)

Well, that additional required braking power? Bailed me out! Bike just slowed very fast with no skidding, no wheel hop. In fact with nothing exciting happening at all. And I went around that corner with pedal clearance to spare. Boring. Since then I have put V-brake levers on my namesake Mooney with its excellent cantis and my best geared bike with its dual pivots. Both bikes that have seen big time descents. And wow! do I love those brakes going down paved roads I've never seen before. My two city bikes stay regular levers for their Mafacs for their wet weather stopping (and Mafacs were always very predictable hard stoppers with enough "squish" to haunt anyone who fears cable stretch). I use regular levers on my two setups with old-school (but pretty decent) sidepulls. (Short reach Superbe and very short reach Cyclone.)
Old 01-12-23, 01:24 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
The second thing I've learned is that you can have decades of experience and still be absolutely incomptetent. That nugget of wisdom just came to me out of the blue with no relation to this discussion whatsoever.......
Paraphrasing Kris Kristofferson's character's retort to a record company executive in some movie:

"You don't have 10 years of experience. You've had one year of experience 10 times."
Old 01-12-23, 01:29 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Many newish road bikers seem to feel that they 'need' discs because that is what they grew up with on mountain bikes. One mountain bikes - fair enough, as you are riding over head-sized rocks and through axle-deep mud at high speeds down 30 degree slopes. You need powerful brakes and fat tires. You also need a dropper post and sloping top tube so you don't hurt your 'parts'.

But on a road bike, these things are just inappropriate ballast that make the bike heavy and dead-feeling. On a go-fast road bike, your #1 objective is to not to get popped off of the back coming out of a corner or up a hill. So you want as light as possible, particularly low rotating mass (wheels). Discs and 30mm tires don't cut it.

And the other main objective is to not show up at the ride start on a disc-brake bike, and have your tough-as-nails pals (who are rich and retired and log 300 days of on-saddle suffering per year) look down at your $10,000 bike and sarcastically comment: "are we going mountain biking, son?". No excuses for poor judgement here.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 01-12-23, 01:32 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6953 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
And the other main objective is to not show up at the ride start on a disc-brake bike, and have your tough-as-nails pals (who are rich and retired and log 300 days of on-saddle suffering per year) look down at your $10,000 bike and sarcastically comment: "are we going mountain biking, son?". No excuses for poor judgement here.
You seem awfully sensitive to other people's opinions of you...Especially surprising since your riding "pals" sounds like dicks.
Old 01-12-23, 01:42 PM
tomato coupe

But on a road bike, these things are just inappropriate ballast that make the bike heavy and dead-feeling. On a go-fast road bike, your #1 objective is to not to get popped off of the back coming out of a corner or up a hill. So you want as light as possible, particularly low rotating mass (wheels). Discs and 30mm tires don't cut it.
You might want to do a little math and calculate the amount that disc rotors increase the moment of inertia of a set of wheels. (Hint: it's insignificant.)

And the other main objective is to not show up at the ride start on a disc-brake bike, and have your tough-as-nails pals (who are rich and retired and log 300 days of on-saddle suffering per year) look down at your $10,000 bike and sarcastically comment: "are we going mountain biking, son?"
Your friend must have really hit a nerve with that incident, as you've mentioned it twice in this thread. If you can't laugh it off, you've got bigger problems.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 01-12-23 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typ[o
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-12-23, 02:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Many newish road bikers seem to feel that they 'need' discs because that is what they grew up with on mountain bikes. One mountain bikes - fair enough, as you are riding over head-sized rocks and through axle-deep mud at high speeds down 30 degree slopes. You need powerful brakes and fat tires. You also need a dropper post and sloping top tube so you don't hurt your 'parts'.

Every time I read your posts, I get this "Old Man Yells At Cloud" feeling.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-12-23, 02:25 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Keep going, man. You almost have yourself convinced!

Last edited by Eric F; 01-12-23 at 02:39 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 01-12-23, 02:27 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yes, I know there is some flex in the cables but that’s not a bad thing in my opinion. One of the problems I had with hydraulics was the lack of that flex. The brakes were on or off with nothing in between. With cables, that flex results in some fine control…modulation if you like…of the raw power.
you're the second person to say that about hydraulics, on/off, no in between. now i've never ridden disk brakes so no experience there...but...my car has hydraulic disk (and drum) brakes and i can certainly feel the difference based on how hard i press. so what makes a bike system so different other than size?
Old 01-12-23, 02:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I am constantly amazed by how many posts on BF boil down to "Any technological innovations in bicycles after (insert year) are useless frippery and anyone who spends money on them 1) is a pawn of Big Bike or 2) thinks they're a pro, while by contrast I don't often see posts that say "Any bicycle without the latest technological innovations is a useless toy and anyone who owns such is not A Serious Cyclist".

Why do you suppose that is?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-12-23, 02:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by spelger
you're the second person to say that about hydraulics, on/off, no in between. now i've never ridden disk brakes so no experience there...but...my car has hydraulic disk (and drum) brakes and i can certainly feel the difference based on how hard i press. so what makes a bike system so different other than size?
(Pssst! It isn't! Hydraulic disc brakes on bikes are definitely not "on/off, no in between".) Perhaps the people saying it lack fine motor control?

Old 01-12-23, 02:41 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by spelger
Hydraulic disk brakes might seem "on/off" the first few times you squeeze the brake lever, but that feeling disappears once you get adjusted to the lower required hand pressure. (When you go back to rim brakes, the first few times you squeeze the brake lever it seems like your brakes aren't working, until you re-adjust to that hand pressure.)
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-12-23, 02:41 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by genejockey
I am constantly amazed by how many posts on BF boil down to "Any technological innovations in bicycles after (insert year) are useless frippery and anyone who spends money on them 1) is a pawn of Big Bike or 2) thinks they're a pro, while by contrast I don't often see posts that say "Any bicycle without the latest technological innovations is a useless toy and anyone who owns such is not A Serious Cyclist".
And yet, you see plenty of posts from people claiming that they (or often their friends) have been told that "Any bicycle without the latest technological innovations is a useless toy and anyone who owns such is not A Serious Cyclist."

I mean, shoot, given that most of us are far more rude on the internet than in real life, I question whether this is the lone topic in which that equation is flipped.
Old 01-12-23, 03:05 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Hydraulic disk brakes might seem "on/off" the first few times you squeeze the brake lever, but that feeling disappears once you get adjusted to the lower required hand pressure. (When you go back to rim brakes, the first few times you squeeze the brake lever it seems like your brakes aren't working, until you re-adjust to that hand pressure.)
My rides alternate randomly between a road bike with caliper brakes, a gravel bike with disc brakes, a MTB with disc brakes, and a MTB with v-brakes. The time it takes to adapt to the different brake feels is less than it took you to read this sentence. Way less.
Old 01-12-23, 03:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Koyote
And yet, you see plenty of posts from people claiming that they (or often their friends) have been told that "Any bicycle without the latest technological innovations is a useless toy and anyone who owns such is not A Serious Cyclist."

I mean, shoot, given that most of us are far more rude on the internet than in real life, I question whether this is the lone topic in which that equation is flipped.
The comments I've gotten on the road when riding any of my older bikes are uniformly favorable. Other riders either ignore or admire the bikes. I've never had anyone say anything negative.

Mind you, I only ever got one negative comment while riding a modern CF/disc bike, and that was from some guy on an old Kestrel whom I'd dropped twice (he caught up at traffic lights), whose comment suggested he thought I was on an e-bike. So I dropped him again, for good and all.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-12-23, 03:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Eric F
My rides alternate randomly between a road bike with caliper brakes, a gravel bike with disc brakes, a MTB with disc brakes, and a MTB with v-brakes. The time it takes to adapt to the different brake feels is less than it took you to read this sentence. Way less.
Same here, right about the first stop sign.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-12-23, 04:02 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by genejockey
The comments I've gotten on the road when riding any of my older bikes are uniformly favorable. Other riders either ignore or admire the bikes. I've never had anyone say anything negative.

Mind you, I only ever got one negative comment while riding a modern CF/disc bike, and that was from some guy on an old Kestrel whom I'd dropped twice (he caught up at traffic lights), whose comment suggested he thought I was on an e-bike. So I dropped him again, for good and all.
Yup. The only bikes that draw my interest and comments tend to be older and/or lugged steel. The few times I've seen a Rivendell in the wild, I've almost drooled. Told one guy that his Riv was the prettiest bike I'd ever seen.
Old 01-12-23, 04:10 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Judging by this persons latest post I know pretty well who I'm talking to. And it's not pretty. Why do you hold said person in such high regard when they are so offensive?
You are mistaken. The only thing I hold in high reguard is his intelligence. Other than that, I don't know him. He is a smart person, and that can't be faked.
He's an azzhole, but so am I. How do I hold that against him?
You on the other hand, are arrogant. Arrogance is not seen as intelligence, rather the lack thereof.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 01-12-23, 04:13 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Yup. The only bikes that draw my interest and comments tend to be older and/or lugged steel.
Same here. The latest carbon wonderbike is actually pretty boring to me, but a classic lugged Italian road frame can stop me in my tracks. I think I just like visible craftsmanship, which TIG'd or carbon frames often lack.
Old 01-12-23, 04:16 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
As a general statement, dumb people fool other dumb people all the time.
Well, color me fooled then. But, I'm not the one making generalizations here. Hum?
Old 01-12-23, 04:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
Yup. The only bikes that draw my interest and comments tend to be older and/or lugged steel. The few times I've seen a Rivendell in the wild, I've almost drooled. Told one guy that his Riv was the prettiest bike I'd ever seen.
Older bikes can be quite a bit more interesting, then "wow you have an aero frame that looks like the other aero frames so cool". I have had a few customers who had some really interesting stuff either full vintage or with some interesting vintage parts come through and they were excited because I recognized what they had and other shops brushed them off or told them to get something new. It is really a shame that people brushed off a cool mixte modern mixte (i think made by Brian Chapman) with some vintage T.A. cranks and Simplex derailleur or that Girvin ProFlex or vintage steel MTB with full Deore Deerhead which by today's standards look like a wally-mart huffy but is actually a top end mountain bike who's maker I cannot remember.
Likes For veganbikes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.